HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets players and MRIs

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-18-2017, 08:16 PM
  #1
blues10
Registered User
 
blues10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,101
vCash: 500
Jets players and MRIs

It looks like the story of Jets players jumping the queue for MRIs is gaining some negative momentum. Of course, it is yet to be determined if these were situations that were deemed serious enough to move to the front of the line but TNSE may need to address this publicity.

Wiecek has an article out now. Here is a snippet of it.

Quote:
What's a couple more days in line, Grandpa? Buff got hurt last night
Quote:
No, it turns out that all these years the Jets and Bombers have simply been jumping the queue and getting preferential treatment in the public health-care system.
Quote:
The Jets made up almost half of the flagged cases — 44 of 92 — while the Bombers accounted for another 15 queue-jumpers.

When you consider these Jets didn't exist until 2011 — even though the period under review goes back to 2008— what becomes clear is that the quickest and easiest path to a quick MRI in this town has nothing to do with medical need and everything to do with being a member of the tiny cadre of coddled millionaires that is this city’s local NHL franchise.
Quote:
But it’s one thing for the local broadcast rights-holders to give the teams they’re partnered with a free ride in the media and quite another for a doctor whose salary we’re all paying to bump his favourite player to the top of the list for an MRI scan which, as it happens, we’re also all paying for.
Quote:
One thing is annoying but predictable, the other is simply outrageous. And that’s why heads rolled in Alberta back in 2009 when it emerged publicly that the Calgary Flames players and their families all received the H1N1 vaccine at a special clinic, even as schoolchildren in the province were being told they had to wait because there wasn’t yet enough vaccine to go around.

That was scandalous then and, in part, spawned a provincial public inquiry. This is unacceptable now, and should spark an investigation here.
[mod]

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...419762033.html


Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 04-18-2017 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Copyright. Read at link...
blues10 is offline  
Old
04-18-2017, 09:03 PM
  #2
surixon
Registered User
 
surixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,817
vCash: 500
Call me shocked that professional athletes that require quick diagnosis and treatment to get back on their jobs get quick access. Does the FP not have anything better to write about or do they even mention that since almost all of the players are from out of province that the team has to pay a substantially larger fee than what it costs to process an MRI in order to get one. I just can't believe the extreme lack of quality of what gets written these days. A much more balanced article https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4074858

surixon is online now  
Old
04-18-2017, 09:14 PM
  #3
Channelcat
Registered User
 
Channelcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,643
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Call me shocked that professional athletes that require quick diagnosis and treatment to get back on their jobs get quick access. Does the FP not have anything better to write about or do they even mention that since almost all of the players are from out of province that the team has to pay a substantially larger fee than what it costs to process an MRI in order to get one. I just can't believe the extreme lack of quality of what gets written these days. A much more balanced article https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4074858
I didn't think it was out of line or unbalanced. Its an issue that probably should be addressed, and yes the article was short on details. I think we've mostly assumed that athletes are getting quicker and probably higher quality treatment.....and at higher cost to the organization, as you mentioned. edit, just realized that I had read the CBC article. Didn't read the freep one yet.

Channelcat is online now  
Old
04-18-2017, 09:29 PM
  #4
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 13,892
vCash: 1460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelcat View Post
I didn't think it was out of line or unbalanced. Its an issue that probably should be addressed, and yes the article was short on details. I think we've mostly assumed that athletes are getting quicker and probably higher quality treatment.....and at higher cost to the organization, as you mentioned. edit, just realized that I had read the CBC article. Didn't read the freep one yet.
I'd save my time the CBC article is a much more balanced read than Wiecek, who is getting a little off kilter lately. No one with a serious injury is going without an MRI that needs one. My mother had a serious fall a couple months ago and spent a lot longer waiting in the emergency waiting room then it took to get a MRI once she was seen by a doctor.

KingBogo is offline  
Old
04-18-2017, 09:40 PM
  #5
Arthur Fonzarelli
Registered User
 
Arthur Fonzarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,427
vCash: 1804
Everything I've read talks of "preferential treatment" to professional athletes or other persons of affluence.

Although there may be some truth to this, it's laying accountability towards the patients for this occurring.

The truth is that certain doctors are better connected than other doctors.

Arthur Fonzarelli is offline  
Old
04-18-2017, 09:51 PM
  #6
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YTH
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,182
vCash: 50
Awards:
Absolutely brutal that names were leaked to the public.

Hank Chinaski is offline  
Old
04-18-2017, 10:07 PM
  #7
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
I'd save my time the CBC article is a much more balanced read than Wiecek, who is getting a little off kilter lately. No one with a serious injury is going without an MRI that needs one. My mother had a serious fall a couple months ago and spent a lot longer waiting in the emergency waiting room then it took to get a MRI once she was seen by a doctor.
I waited 11 months for an MRI on my torn knee. ACL and meniscus. Surgery a few months after that.

truck is offline  
Old
04-18-2017, 10:22 PM
  #8
Evil Little
Registered User
 
Evil Little's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4,093
vCash: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Absolutely brutal that names were leaked to the public.
Hardly a leak--it was a report released by the province's auditor general.

Your point remains, though. A gross violation of their medical privacy.

Edit--

Correction: a 'confidential report' that was 'obtained' by the Free Press, so you're right. Funny that Wiecek will call this bush-leaguery 'glorious reporting' but throw Wheeler under the bus at every opportunity.


Last edited by Evil Little: 04-18-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Evil Little is offline  
Old
04-18-2017, 10:29 PM
  #9
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YTH
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,182
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Little View Post
Hardly a leak--it was a report released by the province's auditor general.

Your point remains, though. A gross violation of their medical privacy.
That's not how I understand it. The report was prepared for the auditor general, and it somehow wound up in the media's hands. EDIT: Just saw your edit, so you caught that as well.

It's also shocking that the names weren't redacted in that report. PHIA is based on sharing only as much information as is needed. Of what relevance is it that Dustin Byfuglien received the MRI? You can just say "professional hockey players" to prove your point. An auditor can check the names if they really need to.

Hank Chinaski is offline  
Old
04-18-2017, 10:35 PM
  #10
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YTH
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,182
vCash: 50
Awards:
And just to be clear: it bugs me that a pro athlete can get in the next day, while someone like truck needs to wait over a year for proper treatment. It's wrong. Blatant queue-jumping is a very real problem in many provinces, and I could talk nonstop about it.

The privacy breach bugs me more, though. Wiecek trying to sound like an expert by (poorly and incorrectly) quoting the Canada Health Act, yet he sure seems to have a cavalier attitude towards privacy acts.

Hank Chinaski is offline  
Old
04-18-2017, 10:55 PM
  #11
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 13,892
vCash: 1460
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I waited 11 months for an MRI on my torn knee. ACL and meniscus. Surgery a few months after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
And just to be clear: it bugs me that a pro athlete can get in the next day, while someone like truck needs to wait over a year for proper treatment. It's wrong. Blatant queue-jumping is a very real problem in many provinces, and I could talk nonstop about it.

The privacy breach bugs me more, though. Wiecek trying to sound like an expert by (poorly and incorrectly) quoting the Canada Health Act, yet he sure seems to have a cavalier attitude towards privacy acts.
The Manitoba average for a scheduled MRI last year was 24 weeks. Less than 6 months. That doesn't consider emergency MRI's where there is a no wait list, they are done on a priority bases from immediately to a few days. Depending on the injury a professional athlete or any one else (possible stroke in the example I used before) may jump to the top of the priority list depending on the nature of the injury. If there are any concerns with a brain, spine or internal organs you would be considered an emergency.

KingBogo is offline  
Old
04-18-2017, 11:01 PM
  #12
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YTH
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,182
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
The Manitoba average for a scheduled MRI last year was 24 weeks. Less than 6 months. That doesn't consider emergency MRI's where there is a no wait list, they are done on a priority bases from immediately to a few days. Depending on the injury a professional athlete or any one else (possible stroke in the example I used before) may jump to the top of the priority list depending on the nature of the injury. If there are any concerns with a brain, spine or internal organs you would be considered an emergency.
But pro athletes don't wait for MRIs, regardless of severity. That was basically confirmed by the WRHA:

Quote:
Dr. Brock Wright, the WRHA's senior vice-president of clinical services and chief medical officer, said the athletes do not get quicker access, but get quicker MRIs because of the seriousness of their injuries.

"Other patients with similar injuries, one would expect, would also get that kind of timely access to MRIs," he said.

"With a professional athlete, if they were denied that kind of appropriate access to their medical needs, that could have rather devastating consequences on their ability to return to work, given their profession is professional sports."

Hank Chinaski is offline  
Old
04-18-2017, 11:05 PM
  #13
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain
 
nobody important's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: a quiet suburb
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
And just to be clear: it bugs me that a pro athlete can get in the next day, while someone like truck needs to wait over a year for proper treatment. It's wrong. Blatant queue-jumping is a very real problem in many provinces, and I could talk nonstop about it.

The privacy breach bugs me more, though. Wiecek trying to sound like an expert by (poorly and incorrectly) quoting the Canada Health Act, yet he sure seems to have a cavalier attitude towards privacy acts.
This wouldn't be a problem here if we allowed private MRI clinics like other provinces have. People who are willing to pay out of their own pocket to have an MRI done should be able to do that, without having to incur the added expense of out of province travel and accommodation. When my wife was waiting on a potentially life-threatening diagnosis, forcing her to wait weeks or months wasn't something I was going to accept. We made use of an MRI clinic in Calgary, and had results (negative, thankfully) in short order. I will never apologize for making use of our income to get better medical service than what our government will provide.

nobody important is online now  
Old
04-18-2017, 11:18 PM
  #14
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YTH
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,182
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
This wouldn't be a problem here if we allowed private MRI clinics like other provinces have. People who are willing to pay out of their own pocket to have an MRI done should be able to do that, without having to incur the added expense of out of province travel and accommodation. When my wife was waiting on a potentially life-threatening diagnosis, forcing her to wait weeks or months wasn't something I was going to accept. We made use of an MRI clinic in Calgary, and had results (negative, thankfully) in short order. I will never apologize for making use of our income to get better medical service than what our government will provide.
I agree wholeheartedly with you BUT for the caveat that we don't have strong enough data to support the oft-held notion that private diagnostic services will lessen the burden on the public system.

I love talking about this stuff (I'm an MHA student), but I don't know if there's any way I can talk about it without taking it off on a political tangent. I'll leave it with no, you shouldn't ever have to apologize for that. Happy to hear your wife had timely care and a good outcome.

Hank Chinaski is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 12:17 AM
  #15
Tootsmagoo
Registered User
 
Tootsmagoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 236
vCash: 500
I would side with Paul if he didn't come off Like a whining baby. I also enjoy the part where he thinks buff should sit at border and understand where we come from lol. Buff grew up in that area and wasnt raised by the richest family.

Tootsmagoo is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 12:18 AM
  #16
Arthur Fonzarelli
Registered User
 
Arthur Fonzarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,427
vCash: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
And just to be clear: it bugs me that a pro athlete can get in the next day, while someone like truck needs to wait over a year for proper treatment. It's wrong. Blatant queue-jumping is a very real problem in many provinces, and I could talk nonstop about it.

The privacy breach bugs me more, though. Wiecek trying to sound like an expert by (poorly and incorrectly) quoting the Canada Health Act, yet he sure seems to have a cavalier attitude towards privacy acts.
To repeat my earlier comment, there isn't a single pro athlete or person of wealth that can influence and improve their priority for health care.

I'd be more interested in who their physicians are that arranged for preferential treatment.

Any newsworthy story starts there.

Arthur Fonzarelli is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 12:46 AM
  #17
JetsFan815
It can't be done :(
 
JetsFan815's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 7,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I waited 11 months for an MRI on my torn knee. ACL and meniscus. Surgery a few months after that.
It is an interesting dilemma for sure. Definitely, a 24 week waiting period that KingBogo mentioned is the average seems to be to much for professional atheletes, but what I would like to know is how cases are treated where you have, say a construction worker with severe pain that prevents him from doing his job, does the construction worker get to jump the queue? I don't know the answer but if the answer is no, it does seem unfair. Having to wait 6 or 11 months for an MRI certainly points to something being severely broken, if that is the perpetual state of things then it certainly seems reasonable that something be done to fix it. Certainly not a problem with an easy solution.

I am surprised that the Winnipeg media published an article so openly critical of the Jets. Doesn't seem like as business as usual...

JetsFan815 is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 01:32 AM
  #18
Lempo
#WeAreAllKevinBieksa
 
Lempo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,767
vCash: 1000
One thing is sure: a franchise isn't going to wait 8 months for a player and an asset of theirs to go to a public MRI. Either they go *here* asap, or they go in another province (or god forbid, country), and that would have bad optics if you timely fail to provide healthcare to such visible personages in your own province, bad enough to put a political pressure to organize things some other way.

If I was the person in charge of the public MRI business, and I was adamant that no private providers need ever to venture into my business, there's no way I would give them that ammo that the whole Jets season would be ruined because my MRI is insufficient and badly organized.

I said 'business' because it's a lot of public dough that's in the play there and you can be sure the playas at the hospital administration aren't not being aware of that. Back in the day I was a Public Law student taking a plenty of Business Law courses, and once I did a piece about public procurement in the turbid waters on between of those two, and the lecturer near jumped on the opportunity to ask my opinion about if I think it all went by the book when a doctor was sitting in the board of the local hospital deciding that they would not get an MRI machine to the hospital, when it in practice meant they would go on using (and paying for) the one owned privately by a conglomerate of doctors including the one in the board.

Jets are not the millionaires you should be looking at with this one.

Lempo is online now  
Old
04-19-2017, 09:46 AM
  #19
ps241
Playoff push 2017
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 20,471
vCash: 50
Interesting debate. I have never had an issue with how people choose to spend their after tax dollars. If one has to go out of province or country to do it so be it.

As far as pro athletes cue jumping as a sports fan it makes sense to me but I am sure people who dislike sports might have problems with it. Not sure what the other options are perhaps they should have their own MRI machine but you can't run a pro sports team and have guys waiting 6 months to get information on injuries?

ps241 is online now  
Old
04-19-2017, 09:50 AM
  #20
surixon
Registered User
 
surixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Interesting debate. I have never had an issue with how people chose to spend their after tax dollars. If one has to go out of province or country to do it so be it.

As far as pro athletes cue jumping as a sports fan it makes sense to me but I am sure people who dislike sports might have problems with it. Not sure what the other options are perhaps they should have their own MRI machine but you can't run a pro sports team and have guys waiting 6 months to get information on injuries?
I'm curious if the Jets would even be allowed to own and operate their own MRI machine. Are there certain rules in the health act that allow or prevent it. Does anyone happen to know the answer to this? I would think it would be a no since there aren't private clinics being allowed to open and operate one.

surixon is online now  
Old
04-19-2017, 11:04 AM
  #21
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain
 
nobody important's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: a quiet suburb
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
I'm curious if the Jets would even be allowed to own and operate their own MRI machine. Are there certain rules in the health act that allow or prevent it. Does anyone happen to know the answer to this? I would think it would be a no since there aren't private clinics being allowed to open and operate one.
Just think of the possibilities though. For only 2 million Jets Reward points*, get the MRI of your choice done at the True North Clinic.

* Contrast media, if required, is an additional 200,000 points.

True North Clinic: Get scanned where the players get scanned.


nobody important is online now  
Old
04-19-2017, 11:08 AM
  #22
Guardian17
Strong & Free
 
Guardian17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,741
vCash: 500
Isn't this a breach of patient confidentiality?

Guardian17 is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 11:11 AM
  #23
Boxertim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 309
vCash: 500
I only waited 3 weeks for my MRI...what is the normal wait time?

Boxertim is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 11:13 AM
  #24
surixon
Registered User
 
surixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxertim View Post
I only waited 3 weeks for my MRI...what is the normal wait time?
Average is 23 weeks

surixon is online now  
Old
04-19-2017, 11:14 AM
  #25
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain
 
nobody important's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: a quiet suburb
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
Isn't this a breach of patient confidentiality?
It absolutely is, and the Free Press showed extremely poor judgment in choosing to publish the leaked information. Whoever sourced that information should be fired, and preferably charged with something, if that is possible.

nobody important is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.