HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Jets players and MRIs

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-19-2017, 11:17 AM
  #26
buggs
nanoo nanoo
 
buggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: somewhere flat
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
The Manitoba average for a scheduled MRI last year was 24 weeks. Less than 6 months. That doesn't consider emergency MRI's where there is a no wait list, they are done on a priority bases from immediately to a few days. Depending on the injury a professional athlete or any one else (possible stroke in the example I used before) may jump to the top of the priority list depending on the nature of the injury. If there are any concerns with a brain, spine or internal organs you would be considered an emergency.
Unfortunately this is not true. My wife had to wait six months for her MRI. She's already had a disc removed from her neck. She's been largely unable to sleep for months and is losing feeling in her right hand. There was no urgency there and last I checked the neck was a rather critical part of the spine. Try going without sleep for four days straight and tell me it's not critical. FWIW the MRI result shows the spinal column impinging on the spinal cord. And still she waits for a consult.

She waited even longer years ago for an MRI on her knee (torn ACL) but she was still mobile.

It's truly a screwed up system though that utterly lacks consistency. When I tore my meniscus a couple of years back (Hapkido) I had my MRI within two weeks because I vaulted to the top of the alternate list somehow. No way should my priority have climbed that high but it did because I was willing to take anytime, anywhere for the MRI. My wife was on the alternate list for her neck injury and in spite of calling herself once a month was never contacted to take an empty space.

buggs is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 11:33 AM
  #27
Yukon Joe
Registered User
 
Yukon Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Posts: 2,560
vCash: 500
When I first saw the headlines I assumed it was a non-story based on the Jets and Bombers using a private MRI clinic. I'd have no problem if that were the case.

But no, these were public machines. So yes, it's hard to argue that a pro athlete should automatically jump the queue over people who have been waiting months for an MRI.

Yukon Joe is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 11:40 AM
  #28
Joe Hallenback
Registered User
 
Joe Hallenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 9,078
vCash: 777
I had an MRI on my knee 5 years ago and got it done in North Dakota for around 1000 bucks because my wait time was 11 months here.

Really instead of going to a private system like the states has we need a revamp to what France has with a fee system that is 70 percent covered and the fees are set by the government. Saying that though they do have wait times of 30 days for MRI scans but from what I understand there and here as well its the lack of new equipment and specialists to run them that are the issue. A friend of mine is MRI specialist and it took him 6 years to get his degree and he also had to write exams to get certified. When he worked here in Manitoba he was making 35 dollars a hour to start and worked a lot because of the lack of MRI specialists, he later moved to Calgary because he was offered double what he gets paid here by a private clinic.

Joe Hallenback is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 11:56 AM
  #29
Smelling Salt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,722
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
I don't buy their excuse that "acute" cases are made a priority.

Even if you have a serious injury, getting an MRI quickly (I think) is luck of the draw most of the time unless say your leg is pointing the wrong direction. It's anecdotal of course, but I know enough people who got MRIs (and even the stories in this thread) with bad enough injuries that still lead to waiting months for an MRI. And most "normal" people are pushed to x-ray first anyway.

How many times have we seen players skate off the ice with an injury that seemed pretty minor (or they even play the rest of the game) yet they somehow get MRIs right away? I'm not buying the "acute" nonsense.

Smelling Salt is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 11:58 AM
  #30
Joe Hallenback
Registered User
 
Joe Hallenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 9,078
vCash: 777
fyi though athletes and politicians have been getting bumped to the head of the line forever

Joe Hallenback is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 12:03 PM
  #31
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain
 
nobody important's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: a quiet suburb
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
fyi though athletes and politicians have been getting bumped to the head of the line forever
Everybody knows the fight was fixed
The poor stay poor, the rich get rich
That's how it goes
Everybody knows

nobody important is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 12:10 PM
  #32
buggs
nanoo nanoo
 
buggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: somewhere flat
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
fyi though athletes and politicians have been getting bumped to the head of the line forever
Yes. This is nothing new.

buggs is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 12:14 PM
  #33
gbill2004*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,550
vCash: 500
We all knew this was happening all along. Now it's just been confirmed.

gbill2004* is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 12:21 PM
  #34
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 10,054
vCash: 500
This is just as it always has been, and really must be if you want to run a professional team. Let's say player X gets hurt. It's bad enough for the player and the team that they may lose his services for months, but add to that that if the player had to wait like the rest of us, it would be months before the team would even know conclusively what is wrong and how to best treat it. This isn't workable for their profession.

In a just world, there could / would be a solution to this. Given the amount of money the players and the league make each year, the NHL could easily setup a private clinic to take care of their players , but actually having the league do this? ( side note: considering this is the same league that denies concussions are an issue... how likely is it they do something to benefit the players ) ....laughable.

Professional athletes have been getting preferential treatment for medical help for as long as doctors have existed.

cbcwpg is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 12:42 PM
  #35
Lempo
I heart Toby Enström
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Country: Finland
Posts: 5,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Given the amount of money the players and the league make each year
Oh, right, on that note: the machine runs on tax-payers' money, doesn't it.

Lempo is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 03:09 PM
  #36
MrBoJangelz71
Registered User
 
MrBoJangelz71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,152
vCash: 500
I thought it was common knowledge that if a player needs an MRI, they get it very quickly. I had heard Trouba was immediately scanned after his board collision a couple years back.

Think about it, who would ever want to play in Canada, if you risk being injured for longer durations because you have to wait several weeks for a scan? Meanwhile, players playing south of the border are immediately served, which would reduce their downtime and be a massive benefit.

I am not for abusing our health care by serving a segment prior to those that need it, but if they are paying for it, at least a grand each time, i could live with it, and god knows the health system could use the cash.

MrBoJangelz71 is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 03:16 PM
  #37
surixon
Registered User
 
surixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoJangelz71 View Post
I thought it was common knowledge that if a player needs an MRI, they get it very quickly. I had heard Trouba was immediately scanned after his board collision a couple years back.

Think about it, who would ever want to play in Canada, if you risk being injured for longer durations because you have to wait several weeks for a scan? Meanwhile, players playing south of the border are immediately served, which would reduce their downtime and be a massive benefit.

I am not for abusing our health care by serving a segment prior to those that need it, but if they are paying for it, at least a grand each time, i could live with it, and god knows the health system could use the cash.
Good point, just having the NHL back here also contributes millions of dollars annually in additional tax revenue that wouldn't be here. That money can go back into the Healthcare system to improve the quality of care for everyone else. Yeah there are certain things like quick access that maybe people like us may not like but when Scheifele's tax bill can fund the purchase of 1 MRI on its own or pay for 5 additional Drs perhaps we shouldn't complain to loudly.

surixon is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 06:09 PM
  #38
Evil Little
Registered User
 
Evil Little's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 4,352
vCash: 1837
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/fo...play.php?f=160


Evil Little is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 07:46 PM
  #39
Guardian17
Strong & Free
 
Guardian17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,217
vCash: 500
Looks like the breach in privacy will be investigated.

http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/investiga...tion-1.3375942

Guardian17 is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 08:28 PM
  #40
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 14,554
vCash: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
Looks like the breach in privacy will be investigated.

http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/investiga...tion-1.3375942
According to Wiecek professional athletes aren't deserving of the same medical privacy as us ordinary citizens>

And third, the whole idea that pro athletes have any entitlement to medical privacy when we are all paying their salaries in the form of tickets and the teams are being subsidized to a greater (Bombers) or lesser (Jets) extent by taxpayer dollars is, in itself, bogus.

You want your shoulder problem kept private? Get a real job and nobody will care.


I've actual read most of the PHIA legislation and no where does it say individuals in certain professions have more or less rights under the law.

KingBogo is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 08:38 PM
  #41
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,469
vCash: 50
Did Wiecek actually say that? What an idiot.

YWGinYYZ is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 08:46 PM
  #42
MrGrinch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 404
vCash: 500
I really hope they catch the person / people who leaked those names and punish them to the full extent of the law. All it takes is one bad apple. Top fine is $50,000 for which you are personally responsible (ie you pay out of your pocket and not your organization). That will make people think twice before they share these kinds of personal materials.

As for the Free Press what a piece of garbage paper for printing those names. I seriously wish some of the folks on that list banded together (Jets included) to launch a civil suit against the FP, the reporters, and editors who approved that garbage to print.

MrGrinch is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 08:57 PM
  #43
truck
Registered User
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,876
vCash: 500
The acute thing is nonsense. It isn't just the MRI, it is the surgery too. Logan Stanley had his knee done here. He didn't hurt it here. He doesn't live here.

I'm not particularly fussed - even given my 11 month wait for an MRI, but there is definitely some funny business going on.

*Edit*

I should add... I am not too fussed about it, but I lost two years of activity between the wait for the MRI, the review, the meetings with the surgeon and the rehab. Could have been one year and only a single round of rehab if I jumped the que.

Here's the article that says Stanley got surgery here: http://windsorspitfires.com/article/...ut-four-months


Last edited by truck: 04-19-2017 at 09:04 PM.
truck is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 08:58 PM
  #44
drumzan
#NHLJets
 
drumzan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoJangelz71 View Post
I thought it was common knowledge that if a player needs an MRI, they get it very quickly. I had heard Trouba was immediately scanned after his board collision a couple years back.

Think about it, who would ever want to play in Canada, if you risk being injured for longer durations because you have to wait several weeks for a scan? Meanwhile, players playing south of the border are immediately served, which would reduce their downtime and be a massive benefit.

I am not for abusing our health care by serving a segment prior to those that need it, but if they are paying for it, at least a grand each time, i could live with it, and god knows the health system could use the cash.
If you're talking about Trouba's head crashing into the boards with his neck, that would more than merit jumping the MRI line for health reasons.

drumzan is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 09:09 PM
  #45
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 10,054
vCash: 500
I work in a health care facility and will not say which, but I can honestly say we are reminded almost daily about PHIA. We get reminder emails, there are posters all over the place, etc. And in the past violations have occurred and those people responsible have been punished. Usually, once it is proven, they immediately get fired. There is honestly no excuse for "accidentally" releasing personal health care information.

What the Free Press did is morally wrong, but not illegal. They were not responsible for the leak, just responsible for bad judgment. It's the person that gave them the info that is in violation.

JMO, but given all the tight budgetary constraints, wage freezes, cut backs, etc. that the govt is implementing in the health sector... my guess is this document was leaked by someone who thought they would embarrass the govt by putting out controversial information. And for sure queue jumping is controversial. What the leaker didn't count on is the Free Press would have no moral compass as to right or wrong and publish names. Without names the queue jumping could still have been a valid topic of discussion.


Last edited by cbcwpg: 04-19-2017 at 09:18 PM.
cbcwpg is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 09:14 PM
  #46
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 14,554
vCash: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Did Wiecek actually say that? What an idiot.
Yup. The bad judgement by Wiecek and his editors is astounding.

KingBogo is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 09:36 PM
  #47
drumzan
#NHLJets
 
drumzan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
I work in a health care facility and will not say which, but I can honestly say we are reminded almost daily about PHIA. We get reminder emails, there are posters all over the place, etc. And in the past violations have occurred and those people responsible have been punished. Usually, once it is proven, they immediately get fired. There is honestly no excuse for "accidentally" releasing personal health care information.

What the Free Press did is morally wrong, but not illegal. They were not responsible for the leak, just responsible for bad judgment. It's the person that gave them the info that is in violation.

JMO, but given all the tight budgetary constraints, wage freezes, cut backs, etc. that the govt is implementing in the health sector... my guess is this document was leaked by someone who thought they would embarrass the govt by putting out controversial information. And for sure queue jumping is controversial. What the leaker didn't count on is the Free Press would have no moral compass as to right or wrong and publish names. Without names the queue jumping could still have been a valid topic of discussion.
Same thing happened in NFL with Jason Pierre Paul's firework injury made public by hospital workers providing info to Adam Schefter. Major PHIA breach. And morally a wrong decision by Schefter/ESPN to publish it as well. Pretty sure some people got fired from that fiasco.

drumzan is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 09:49 PM
  #48
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
According to Wiecek professional athletes aren't deserving of the same medical privacy as us ordinary citizens>

And third, the whole idea that pro athletes have any entitlement to medical privacy when we are all paying their salaries in the form of tickets and the teams are being subsidized to a greater (Bombers) or lesser (Jets) extent by taxpayer dollars is, in itself, bogus.

You want your shoulder problem kept private? Get a real job and nobody will care.


I've actual read most of the PHIA legislation and no where does it say individuals in certain professions have more or less rights under the law.
Well then since Wiecek is paid from people buying newspapers I guess he also has less rights under the law? He also would be completely ok with his medical records being a matter of public record?

This idiot sports writer thinks he can tell people who has civil rights and who doesn't? **** you Wiecek. Nobody should be treated differently under the law, this type of toxic ******** is very very dangerous and a very slippery slope.

Holden Caulfield is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 10:00 PM
  #49
MrGrinch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 404
vCash: 500
Maybe we need to be looking at the Saskatchewan model of private MRI's. In their model you can pay to have your MRI in a "timely" manner at a private facility. But for every "private" MRI they do they also have to take one "publically" funded patient from the central wait list as well. So the system benefits through private payers helping to alleviate the costs for timely access, while the privately owned infrastructure is also used to help address the public central wait list.

http://openskies.ca/

Such a regime here in Manitoba may be the wiggle room that is needed to help give sports teams timely access while helping to support the publically funded system at the same time.

I believe Saskatchewan fell under criticism for this model earlier but thought they were able to negotiate its existence with Canada in recently signing on the new Canada Health Fund Transfer Agreement.

MrGrinch is offline  
Old
04-19-2017, 10:22 PM
  #50
Channelcat
Registered User
 
Channelcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,943
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Well then since Wiecek is paid from people buying newspapers I guess he also has less rights under the law? He also would be completely ok with his medical records being a matter of public record?

This idiot sports writer thinks he can tell people who has civil rights and who doesn't? **** you Wiecek. Nobody should be treated differently under the law, this type of toxic ******** is very very dangerous and a very slippery slope.
Ya! as long as we have our pro sports we will sacrifice anything, say anything and pay any amount of money.

Channelcat is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.