Jets players and MRIs

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2017, 08:50 PM
Eyeseeing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pictman View Post
I have no idea how Wiecek has kept his job.He always comes across as a angry,bitter ,small minded man.It infests everything he writes.
His job is to get readers so it's understandable.
IF the rationale is professional players need quicker access because of their livelihood that seems hypocritical.
Anybody who works for a living is needing quicker access.
Pain affects every body and when pain is the over riding sensation then anyone's work and life is affected.
I agree with those who say sports teams should have their own MRI's after all we hear how rich our owners are every 20th post

Old
04-20-2017, 08:57 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

vCash: 50
If you pay up front, you always move to the front of line. My father in-law was needed one and they told him two month wait. He asked what if he paid for it up front? Less than a week he was in.

Old
04-20-2017, 09:01 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeseeing View Post
IF the rationale is professional players need quicker access because of their livelihood that seems hypocritical.
Pain affects every body and when pain is the over riding sensation then anyone's work and life is affected.
I agree with those who say sports teams should have their own MRI's after all we hear how rich our owners are every 20th post
Actual the best solution is for TNSE to be able to run their own private clinic. Priority for Jets players, then other local and visiting sports teams on a fee for service bases followed by appointments to the general public willing to pay for quicker service than available through the public health care system. Win-Win all the way around and would add another cash flow to TNSE to off-set other public support for the team.

Old
04-20-2017, 09:30 PM
SCP Guy

Just drive to Pembina ND with a credit card and viola .... 30 min later you have your MRI done

They were great with my knee MRI

Old
04-20-2017, 09:34 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
Actual the best solution is for TNSE to be able to run their own private clinic. Priority for Jets players, then other local and visiting sports teams on a fee for service bases followed by appointments to the general public willing to pay for quicker service than available through the public health care system. Win-Win all the way around and would add another cash flow to TNSE to off-set other public support for the team.
Are they even allowed to open their own clinic? I think that would be the best option as well but I'm unsure if feasible atm. But given the PC are back, I'd guess privatized Healthcare will also start to make a comeback. They could put it right in TNS

Old
04-20-2017, 09:43 PM
Saintb

i think that would contravene the Canada Health Act. Although I am not an expert on health policy that seems like two tier medicine.

Old
04-20-2017, 09:45 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
Just drive to Pembina ND with a credit card and viola .... 30 min later you have your MRI done

They were great with my knee MRI

Same thing for cataract surgery.

When I get to that age, I'l just going to get them done in the US so I don't have to wait.

Old
04-20-2017, 09:53 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintb View Post
i think that would contravene the Canada Health Act. Although I am not an expert on health policy that seems like two tier medicine.
I believe there are some private clinics in other provinces. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned going to Alberta to go to a private clinic. But this is a very interesting question. Health care is administered at a provincial level and the federal government helps fund and sets standards.

Old
04-20-2017, 10:14 PM
SCP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
Same thing for cataract surgery.

When I get to that age, I'l just going to get them done in the US so I don't have to wait.
Pretty soon boarded guards are going to ask people coming back into Canada if they had any medical procedures while away so they can charge GST

Old
04-20-2017, 11:18 PM
Saintb

I wonder how teams like Toronto and Vancouver handle this. they would have the same issues..

Old
04-21-2017, 12:36 AM
Calendal

Quote:
Professional athletes have a relatively short and uncertain career which I think separates them from many other professionals. I would expect some other professions where physical health is of high importance to also be jumping the line (firemen, pilots, military).

I think there's a problem if other professional athletes (with less financial resources) would not be getting the same treatment as hockey players, though.

Still, a system that does not allow private MRI seems just plain weird.

Old
04-21-2017, 06:11 AM
Eyeseeing

Quote:
Well said KB

Old
04-21-2017, 06:20 AM
Eyeseeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calendal View Post
Professional athletes have a relatively short and uncertain career which I think separates them from many other professionals. I would expect some other professions where physical health is of high importance to also be jumping the line (firemen, pilots, military).

I think there's a problem if other professional athletes (with less financial resources) would not be getting the same treatment as hockey players, though.

Still, a system that does not allow private MRI seems just plain weird.
The length of career is irrelevant
Do you have an insurance policy which says you get paid 💯 of the remainder of your contract?
A parent raising a family who gets hurt has no choice but to keep on functioning as best they can while waiting in some cases months for a MRI then hopefully proper treatment.
They can't go on IR to heal and get better.....
Pro athletes are worshipped like Demi Gods which is pretty sad in the scheme of life.
There is no justification for them getting preference over the public based on them being pro athletes.
I would be in favour of private clinics then I'd say fill your boots.
That way the lines go faster for those who can't pay.
That's a win win

Edit I'd gladly pay if it was available

Last edited by Eyeseeing: 04-21-2017 at 06:25 AM.
Old
04-21-2017, 11:16 AM
Calendal

Quote:
The length of career is irrelevant
Do you have an insurance policy which says you get paid 💯 of the remainder of your contract?
A parent raising a family who gets hurt has no choice but to keep on functioning as best they can while waiting in some cases months for a MRI then hopefully proper treatment.
They can't go on IR to heal and get better.....
Pro athletes are worshipped like Demi Gods which is pretty sad in the scheme of life.
There is no justification for them getting preference over the public based on them being pro athletes.
I would be in favour of private clinics then I'd say fill your boots.
That way the lines go faster for those who can't pay.
That's a win win

Edit I'd gladly pay if it was available
This is an argument that occasionally pops up in Finland when it comes to conscription etc. Generally people understand that losing 6-12 months for someone who at (on average) has perhaps 8-10 years career ahead of them would be unfair compared to those with 40 year career expectancy. I suppose there's an argument to be made either way, though.

I must say though, something is going very wrong with triage and social benefits if people are forced to risk their health working injured while not being allowed to get private treatment. A few athletes jumping the queue is only the top of the iceberg.

Edit: I think we are getting dangerously close to discussing politics here.

Old
04-21-2017, 12:23 PM
gbill2004*

Quote:
Yup. The bad judgement by Wiecek and his editors is astounding.
Whenever an athlete is getting an MRI its usually published in the news media so I don't see what the big deal is. We see it on twitter all the time: XXXXX athlete is getting an MRI for his injured XXXX.

Old
04-21-2017, 12:52 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbill2004 View Post
Whenever an athlete is getting an MRI its usually published in the news media so I don't see what the big deal is. We see it on twitter all the time: XXXXX athlete is getting an MRI for his injured XXXX.
"the big deal" is:

- if the team wants to publish the fact that player so and so had or is getting an MRI, then that's fine because the team and the player gave consent to make this public.

- What is NOT fine, and illegal in the Province of Manitoba via PHIA, is leaking the names of patients that were contained in a confidential report. Information about any treatment any person is getting for any medical condition is confidential unless the patient gives consent to have it made public.

http://web2.gov.mb.ca/laws/statutes/ccsm/p033-5e.php

WHEREAS health information is personal and sensitive and its confidentiality must be protected so that individuals are not afraid to seek health care or to disclose sensitive information to health professionals;

AND WHEREAS individuals need access to their own health information as a matter of fairness, to enable them to make informed decisions about health care and to request the correction of inaccurate or incomplete information about themselves;

AND WHEREAS a consistent approach to personal health information is necessary because many persons other than health professionals now obtain, use and disclose personal health information in different contexts and for different purposes;

AND WHEREAS clear and certain rules for the collection, use and disclosure of personal health information are an essential support for electronic health information systems that can improve both the quality of patient care and the management of health care resources;

Old
04-21-2017, 12:58 PM
Jimby
Reformed Optimist

vCash: 168
A followup article revealed that anyone injured on the job is guaranteed an MRI with 20 days. Suddenly it seems the athletes receiving quick scans is not really all that preferential.

[QUOTE=Eyeseeing;131205093
Pain affects every body and when pain is the over riding sensation then anyone's work and life is affected.[/QUOTE]

Old
04-21-2017, 01:41 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintb View Post
Possibly.

To me, the Canada Health Act is more of a manifesto than the letter of the law. Provinces that contravene the Act may have Federal transfers withheld, but ftmp they have full autonomy over their health system.

Old
04-21-2017, 02:00 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
Pretty soon boarded guards are going to ask people coming back into Canada if they had any medical procedures while away so they can charge GST
Wouldn't shock me if they did.

Old
04-21-2017, 03:18 PM
kanadalainen
The spruce returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
This wouldn't be a problem here if we allowed private MRI clinics like other provinces have. People who are willing to pay out of their own pocket to have an MRI done should be able to do that, without having to incur the added expense of out of province travel and accommodation. When my wife was waiting on a potentially life-threatening diagnosis, forcing her to wait weeks or months wasn't something I was going to accept. We made use of an MRI clinic in Calgary, and had results (negative, thankfully) in short order. I will never apologize for making use of our income to get better medical service than what our government will provide.

Actually I tend to agree. We had first hand experience with this. One of our kids was recruited to University of Pittsburgh (Pitt) as a swimmer with a full scholarship, and she swam with them for four years.

In her second year, she injured her shoulder while training, and had access to an MRI scan the next day. On campus, the medical staff have access to multiple different MRI facilities. At the time, Pitt was ranked #6 as a training centre for clinicians in the U.S. I don't know how many more MRI units there are in the city of Pittsburgh (city of 1.7 million), but I got the feeling that wait times, even for NARPs (her term for non aquatic personnel and others) are next to nil.

She received treatment and continued on her merry way, but my point is that MRI used in diagnostic capacity is not a bottleneck there. Its probably expensive, but the differences in efficacy between MB and that system is remarkable.

Old
04-21-2017, 03:25 PM
Smelling Salt

Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
A followup article revealed that anyone injured on the job is guaranteed an MRI with 20 days. Suddenly it seems the athletes receiving quick scans is not really all that preferential.
Well, WCB claims are covered under the Canada Health Act to be done within 20 days so it's not quite the same. The WCB contributed $1.5 million to the machine at Pan Am. They also pay $800 per appt. So while it's similar, it's not apples to apples either.

Old
04-21-2017, 08:18 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbill2004 View Post
Releasing medical information can only be done by informed consent. Otherwise it is a breach of the Personal Health Information act. There is nothing in the act that says that professional athletes are not covered under the law.

Old
04-21-2017, 08:25 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Ugghh...new article now comparing True North to United Airlines.

Old
04-21-2017, 08:31 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
Ugghh...new article now comparing True North to United Airlines.

Talking about someone who doesn't get what the real issue is. I'd love to see Buff or Willy level a big time law suit against Wiecek and the Free press for a breach of their privacy rights under the law.

Old
04-21-2017, 08:34 PM
Eyeseeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets View Post
Players DO pay 10x more taxes than most of us make every year so...
So explain the humanities not the financials on your opinion.
It's wrong to base on income when it's a single tier* system
* in theory only.
It was WRONG to publish names absolutely.
Two wrongs never make a right.

Closed Thread