HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers beat Habs 2-1 - The Useless Captain Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-20-2017, 07:33 AM
  #676
HabsGorgeous
23 Years....
 
HabsGorgeous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: East Coast
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubadam View Post
Division winners go 1 and 2 and the reseed the rest based on points its what makes sense.

This half division half cross over stuff screws ebrything up.

Classic NHL. Fix a problem that doesnt exsist and make it worse lol.
East vs West. Too conferences with no divisions. 1st vs 8th, 2nd vs 7th, 3rd vs 6th, 4th vs 5th. Keep it simple.

What are the point of divisions other than and a old way of thinking when fewer NHL teams? It's much easier to keep it East vs West and then you can have expansion teams and it doesn't complicate the divisions even further. When you have East vs West, you stay in certain time zones and that is the whole point!

HabsGorgeous is online now  
Old
04-20-2017, 07:36 AM
  #677
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubadam View Post
Ya he did what he was supposed to do. But what seperates the true greats is they go above and beyond.

Price played a good game but he didnt steal it for the habs and in the playoffs thats what an elite level goalie will do steal a few games.

The team scored 7 for him the two previous games they stood up. He can return the favor every now and then. If we have to score 3 in every game to win then why do the habs need the best goalie in the world? Trade him for JT up front and go run and gun like the leafs.

And HL was perfect in game 1 and near perfect in game 4. When his team couldnt score more than 2 goals he stepped up to get his team the needed win.

Price shouldnt be expected to shut out evey game but asking for 1 or 2 game a series for the team to come out on top of a 1-0 or 2-1 game is not to much to ask for from a goalie who is supposed to be the best in the world is it?
The two games we've lost we've scored a total of one goal. It's hard to win when you score one. It's impossible when you score zero.

__________________
- 40,000 & counting...
Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
04-20-2017, 07:45 AM
  #678
scrubadam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 6,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
The two games we've lost we've scored a total of one goal. It's hard to win when you score one. It's impossible when you score zero.
And the ones we won we scored 7.

Ya its hard to win. But if Price is elite he needs to step up every now and then.

If habs have to score 3 or 4 goals every game to win there is no point i having Price back there. Elite goalie will win you a 1-0 game. Hank did it for NYR.

I dont expect Price to win all those games but how about he steals one here or there? Isnt that what an elite goalie should do?

So do we have a goalie who will steal some games when the offense isnt there or not? Becuase if not then get a cheaper guy back there and load up upfront.

BTW I think Price will steal one of th3 next 3 games. But just like i want Max to start scoring i would like to see Price steal a game too.

scrubadam is offline  
Old
04-20-2017, 07:51 AM
  #679
sandviper
Registered User
 
sandviper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
The two games we've lost we've scored a total of one goal. It's hard to win when you score one. It's impossible when you score zero.
It boggles the mind to be honest. Look, I am sure Price will be the first to tell you he should have had those, but he was far from the reason we lost. If we want to see a series where goaltending was the issue, look no further than CGY/ANA. As you pointed out, goals, or lack thereof, are the issue.

I know Price is our franchise player and he hasn't "stolen" a game yet, but at the same time, he hasn't had any run support. Also, people have this notion that stealing a game has to be a shutout but dismiss the notion of timely saves. Look at the OT win in this series, had Price not stopped Vesey on a clear scoring chance, this would be a much different series. That wasn't the only one... there were several timely saves where if the Rags score, it'd be a completely different outcome.

Sure, he didn't steal games, but he's one of the reasons why we've also won 2 IMO. Again, Price would like those goals back I am sure, but I'm pointing my finger at Markov on the first, and Petry and Patches on the second.

Anyhow, sure, I'm waiting for Price to "steal" one, but that is the LEAST of my concerns. 7 regulation goals in 4 games isn't a winning formula. I know things lock down in the playoffs, but we need at least 2 goals a game then, which we're not getting.

sandviper is online now  
Old
04-20-2017, 08:05 AM
  #680
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: hong kong
Posts: 33,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsGorgeous View Post
I agree they were mistakes that caught Price off guard. But Price needs to not get caught off guard and allow the puck to go right through him. How teams capitalize on other teams mistakes is going to be the difference maker in this series. Those 2 goals classify as soft goals to me. Price is going to be Price and he's going to be sharper in the next game! He just can't take anything for granted as its the playoffs and every single mistake is looked at with a microscope!
If you think our team is as good as you say then we shouldn't be as relient on Price.
Price did enough for us to be in the game all the way to the end, he gave up 2 goals after terrible breakdowns. If Price can't be allowed to be this "human" than we are not going to beat the Rangers.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
04-20-2017, 08:09 AM
  #681
scrubadam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 6,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandviper View Post
It boggles the mind to be honest. Look, I am sure Price will be the first to tell you he should have had those, but he was far from the reason we lost. If we want to see a series where goaltending was the issue, look no further than CGY/ANA. As you pointed out, goals, or lack thereof, are the issue.

I know Price is our franchise player and he hasn't "stolen" a game yet, but at the same time, he hasn't had any run support. Also, people have this notion that stealing a game has to be a shutout but dismiss the notion of timely saves. Look at the OT win in this series, had Price not stopped Vesey on a clear scoring chance, this would be a much different series. That wasn't the only one... there were several timely saves where if the Rags score, it'd be a completely different outcome.

Sure, he didn't steal games, but he's one of the reasons why we've also won 2 IMO. Again, Price would like those goals back I am sure, but I'm pointing my finger at Markov on the first, and Petry and Patches on the second.

Anyhow, sure, I'm waiting for Price to "steal" one, but that is the LEAST of my concerns. 7 regulation goals in 4 games isn't a winning formula. I know things lock down in the playoffs, but we need at least 2 goals a game then, which we're not getting.
Rags and habs have the same amount of goals. The reason why its a 2-2 series is Rags have been able to win the games where they score less than 3 goals. Are the Rags some sort of super team that is the exception to the rule?

Its a team effort win or lose. But if Price is elite he needs to steal a game here or there.

If the issue is that habs have to score 3 or 4 to win then habs dont need the best goalie in the world back there. Its alot harder and elite to win the 2-1 or 1-0 game than a 3-1 or 4-2 game.

scrubadam is offline  
Old
04-20-2017, 08:17 AM
  #682
Whitesnake
Here we go again!
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 64,545
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I don't see those goals as being all that "stoppable." Both are bang bang plays that happen from behind his net with one of them coming from his own teammate. The first goal is esp difficult because there's no way to be set for that. The 2nd one is Nash by himself on his doorstep with all day long to score...

Any puck is technically "stoppable" but those are both very difficult stops to make.

You say he needed to be perfect in game 4. Okay. But is it too much not to ask his teammates to not "pass" the puck from behind his net to the other team in the slot? Is that too much to ask here? It reminds me of the guy who prays to God every day to help him win the lottery and God responds by saying "Sure. But could you at least buy a ticket first?" Fixing mistakes is part of Carey's job. That's all well and good. But there are mistakes and there are mistakes...

Carey Price kept us in a game we had no business winning. He gave us an opportunity to win until the very end. To me that's what a goalie is supposed to do. Criticizing him for not being perfect is a bridge too far.
Again, what I see is you analyzing him like you would any other goalie. I thought he was more than that. I guess we should lower our expectations. Heck, I hope this management lowers its expectations too so that they'd improve this team and stop thinking Price will stop all the pucks.

What I saw from Carey is that he played the Mr. Cool a little too much last game. We all know how he loves playing with the puck and showing the opposition that he is not stressed....and how he made that first save with this glove saying...no problem there....but I thought he wasn't the sharp Carey that we often see. He took for granted that Markov got this behind the net...and he took for granted that Max got this at the blue line....I just hope for now on that the best goalie in the world doesn't take anything for granted anymore and be ready for all situations. Thing is, the guy is so fast, that's what people keep saying that his first instincts, usually, in situations like that, would be to play the percentage and make sure that nothing would go through on the lower side. Butterfly and stick on the ice would prevent pucks going in in situations like that. Fast and Nash found a way to roof the puck? Well kudos gentlemen, THEN there's nothing Price could have done. Anyway, that's my take. It won't change. And hopefully he brings it tonight and gets some help up front. But again, we can't give the 1st goal.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
04-20-2017, 08:26 AM
  #683
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubadam View Post
And the ones we won we scored 7.

Ya its hard to win. But if Price is elite he needs to step up every now and then.

If habs have to score 3 or 4 goals every game to win there is no point i having Price back there. Elite goalie will win you a 1-0 game. Hank did it for NYR.

I dont expect Price to win all those games but how about he steals one here or there? Isnt that what an elite goalie should do?

So do we have a goalie who will steal some games when the offense isnt there or not? Becuase if not then get a cheaper guy back there and load up upfront.

BTW I think Price will steal one of th3 next 3 games. But just like i want Max to start scoring i would like to see Price steal a game too.
You can't steal a game where your team scores zero goals. I don't care how good a goalie you are.

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
04-20-2017, 08:27 AM
  #684
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 6,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubadam View Post
Except the Rangers didn't score 3 goals to win their 2 games.
First of all, it's not about what you do every single game. It's about what you are capable of on average.

Second of all, who cares about the Rangers? This is about Montreal and their chances at a Cup. Average three goals or more a game, allow an average of two goals or less, and you can win a Stanley Cup. Yes that's not the case for every Cup winner but it's the safest bet.

Soft goal, tough goal, who cares? A goal is a goal. If he's allowing two or less per game he's a goaltender you can win a Cup with. That's all that matters. If there's a goalie out there who stops every shot except one every night, but the one he doesn't stop a pee wee goalie could have stopped, does that change the fact he's got a 1.00 GAA?

No Team Needed is offline  
Old
04-20-2017, 08:31 AM
  #685
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Again, what I see is you analyzing him like you would any other goalie. I thought he was more than that. I guess we should lower our expectations. Heck, I hope this management lowers its expectations too so that they'd improve this team and stop thinking Price will stop all the pucks.

What I saw from Carey is that he played the Mr. Cool a little too much last game. We all know how he loves playing with the puck and showing the opposition that he is not stressed....and how he made that first save with this glove saying...no problem there....but I thought he wasn't the sharp Carey that we often see. He took for granted that Markov got this behind the net...and he took for granted that Max got this at the blue line....I just hope for now on that the best goalie in the world doesn't take anything for granted anymore and be ready for all situations. Thing is, the guy is so fast, that's what people keep saying that his first instincts, usually, in situations like that, would be to play the percentage and make sure that nothing would go through on the lower side. Butterfly and stick on the ice would prevent pucks going in in situations like that. Fast and Nash found a way to roof the puck? Well kudos gentlemen, THEN there's nothing Price could have done. Anyway, that's my take. It won't change. And hopefully he brings it tonight and gets some help up front. But again, we can't give the 1st goal.
I'm not sure how to respond to the "Mr. Cool" comments... As for Markov, well yeah... Price doesn't expect him to pass it to a Ranger player. Who would? How in the world is Price cavalier on that play? What the hell should Price have done there? Gone into the corner and taken the puck from Markov himself?

As for him "bringing it" tonight, he's "brought it" all series long. Goaltending isn't our issue. He's given up 3 goals only once in the series and his save percentage is stupidly good.

I think we should criticize Radulov. He only has 6 points in 4 games. Why doesn't he have 7 points? Or 8 points? When is he going to step up and score some more? Getting shut out is unacceptable. He has to step up more. We could've won game one if he'd scored two goals. Why didn't he? Am I doing this right?

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
04-20-2017, 08:34 AM
  #686
scrubadam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 6,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
You can't steal a game where your team scores zero goals. I don't care how good a goalie you are.
Hank won game 1 with 1 goal scored. Why cant Price win game 4 with 1 goal scored?

The team gave him run support i game 2 and 3. If Pleks doesnt score with 17 seconds left Price is a sieve for letting the rags back into that game so its crocodile tears to cry poor Price when the team needs him to steal one. Unless of course Price isnt as good as he is made up to be. Then sure if he is just average then i agree habs need to play fire wagon hockey and win 4-3 and 5-4 games.

Just like Max can take some blame for not stepping up and scoring in 4 games so far i think Price is fair game. Series isnt over so both have a chance to perform some heroics.

scrubadam is offline  
Old
04-20-2017, 08:36 AM
  #687
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 42,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubadam View Post
Hank won game 1 with 1 goal scored. Why cant Price win game 4 with 1 goal scored?
Because his teammate passed it to a Rangers player in the slot.

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
04-20-2017, 08:36 AM
  #688
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 6,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubadam View Post
Just like Max can take some blame for not stepping up and scoring in 4 games so far i think Price is fair game.
I agree. Why isn't Carey Price scoring more goals? He makes six million a year and can't score a single goal? Shame.

No Team Needed is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.