HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Lukas Sedlak

Old
04-19-2017, 07:37 AM
WerenskiRules

vCash: 500
Lukas Sedlak

Am I the only one who sees potential for Sedlak taking a big stride and and getting more minutes and responsibility next year.

The guy has size, speed, He's not quite as good of puck handler as Wennberg, but what I really like is He plays fearless, with an attitude, not afraid to lay a hit or take a hit, something I don't always see from Wennberg.

At 24 He may be considered a late bloomer when you look around the league, but I think He has a chance to bump Dubinski to the 3rd line, and I am a huge Dubinski fan.

Interested in replays/thoughts. Am I overestimating his value/potential.

He has become one of my favorite players along with Z.

WerenskiRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 08:07 AM
detroit86
Winging it

He's a tough nosed player. I like his fight!

detroit86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 08:18 AM
Jackets16

IMO, he's a 4th liner who can play on the 3rd line if you need him to.

Jackets16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 08:59 AM
We Want Two
Gameday Drinker

He is by far a better PO player than Wennberg.

We Want Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 09:10 AM
Matt Foley
Regular Season Stud

I really like how Sedlak has come into his own in the past year. The guy is a warrior.

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 09:26 AM
detroit86
Winging it

His work along the boards is very good for a first year player. He plays solid defense as well.

detroit86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 10:27 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Blinking

His importance to the team only became apparent to me when the the bottom 6 started sucking in his absence.

04-19-2017, 10:40 AM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

I wouldn't put him on the second line, but I think he's done a very effective job as a rookie and am looking forward to keeping him around for a while. Makes me less worried about possibly losing Karlsson.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 10:49 AM
EDM

I like him a lot. To me he can play center on either the 3rd or 4th line. He makes it possible to include Wennberg as part of the Duchene trade.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 10:53 AM
Forepar

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
I like him a lot. To me he can play center on either the 3rd or 4th line. He makes it possible to include Wennberg as part of the Duchene trade.
What???? You mean your are not accepting as gospel Pierre's opinion that Wennberg is a ppg+ player? lol.

I actually am a fan of Wennberg - but Pierre's hyperbole was just so over the top.

Forepar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:07 AM
CBJSlash

Sedlak has third line center upside. He does make Karlsson feel more replaceable, but dang Wild Bill had a great game last night.

The only problem with Wennberg isn't a problem. His instincts, his core, is to make the smart, defensive play -- not to make the aggressive offensive play. Will he become a consistent top line center that puts up a lot of points? I don't know. But he'll be a very very good player.

Our lineup would look terrific if he were our #2 center.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:42 AM
Jackets16

Quote:
No thank you. One, his play has no impact on what you do with Wennberg. Two, a few games does not determine how good a player is. We might as well traded 3/4 of our team if we are making decisions based on a few games.

Jackets16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 12:09 PM
The Bread Man

Not only is Sedlak , by far our best faceoff man, hes a damn fast skater. Did anyone else notice how much faster our bottom 2 lines were skating last night, getting Hartnell out of the lineup. This is whats needed in todays Nhl. Not big punishing forwards that cant stretch defenses . I'm convinced this is what happened to Pld this year as well. He was so hell bent in getting that Nhl size to fit our identity, that he lost some of his speed. Going to be interesting in camp next year , to see how much of a look Abramov, and Pld get.

The Bread Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 12:27 PM
WubbaLubbaDubDub

vCash: 250
Quote:
Yeah no.

He's perfect for the bottom 6. If PLD pushes for a spot next year I think we'll be sitting pretty even if we lose Karlsson.

WubbaLubbaDubDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 02:56 PM
JacketsFanWest

Sedlak is positionally solid. He knows where he's suppose to be. He needs to get better in front of his own net but in the defensive zone he does a pretty good job.

I'm also impressed by how well he's able to move back to cover the point when defensemen pinch in. Karlsson also will do that (and nearly got burned falling down while skating backwards when the Pens got the puck and skated out of the zone).

With the skill the Jackets have on defense, they need to let the dman join the attack and have a forward fall back and still be capable of stopping a rush if there is a turnover. The center is a good candidate to do that and Sedlak is able to fill that role.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 04:24 PM
WannabeFinn
Duuuuuub?

Yeah.. let's just be happy that he's a good bottom 6 guy. We don't need him to be anything greater than that.

WannabeFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 06:08 AM
The Old Guy
Who Are Those Guys?

vCash: 50
3 years ago, I remember wondering what the upside was for Matt Calvert. Not to put words in your mouth, but you are essentially asking/wondering the same question.

I like Sedlak on this team. Drafted #158 OA in the 6th round of 2011, it sure seems he has been developed properly. He spent 2 years in junior and 3 years in the A. It sure seemed like he helped solidify the bottom pairing this year.

If this franchise keeps drafting and developing like what has happened in the recent years, it is just a matter of time before the CBJ get that breakthrough star. At the very least, they will take 6th round guys and flip them for 2nd round-type assets. That is a great way to build a successful franchise.

The Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:30 AM
MoeBartoli
Chex-to-Jax

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Guy View Post
3 years ago, I remember wondering what the upside was for Matt Calvert. Not to put words in your mouth, but you are essentially asking/wondering the same question.

I like Sedlak on this team. Drafted #158 OA in the 6th round of 2011, it sure seems he has been developed properly. He spent 2 years in junior and 3 years in the A. It sure seemed like he helped solidify the bottom pairing this year.

If this franchise keeps drafting and developing like what has happened in the recent years, it is just a matter of time before the CBJ get that breakthrough star. At the very least, they will take 6th round guys and flip them for 2nd round-type assets. That is a great way to build a successful franchise.
I also like how he has developed. Going into next year I have him ahead of Karlsson. And with that being said, I don't want to see the most both manning the 3 and 4 center spots. We're on a good track and I think to take the another step forward, Wennberg and Dubi need to slot as the 2 & 3 centers while acquiring a more productive goal scorer centering the 1st line. This is not a knock on either player; rather it's just where I see them most appropriately slotted. I know my comment is nothing original as others have made similar comments about the slotting. I will add this - it's also complicated as Wennberg might be someone another team covets to get the type of player I'd like to see.

MoeBartoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 03:25 PM
leesmith
Still in.

We really missed him when he was out of the lineup.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 05:36 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeBartoli View Post
I also like how he has developed. Going into next year I have him ahead of Karlsson. And with that being said, I don't want to see the most both manning the 3 and 4 center spots. We're on a good track and I think to take the another step forward, Wennberg and Dubi need to slot as the 2 & 3 centers while acquiring a more productive goal scorer centering the 1st line. This is not a knock on either player; rather it's just where I see them most appropriately slotted. I know my comment is nothing original as others have made similar comments about the slotting. I will add this - it's also complicated as Wennberg might be someone another team covets to get the type of player I'd like to see.
I don't think you have anything to worry about. What you're saying is some team will trade a goal scoring, assist making, defensive monster for Wennberg. Not going to happen.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 06:29 AM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

I really like Sedlak and had maybe higher expectations for him than others based on his Calder playoff run (I started voted for him pretty really in the prospect ranking last year, but was clearly in the minority based on the voting).

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned. Everyone assumes Vegas will take Bill if they take a forward, including me. Is there any chance they have Sedlak ranked higher and that's who they will take?

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 02:39 PM
mikeyp24

I 100% see us losing Wild Bill to LV if they go forward and have since early season and Sedlak has really softened that blow because they bring similar gameplay and we have PLD on the way meaning only 1 center spot open. We habe played Bill on the wing but we habe other guys who will fit there so right now I'm fine with losing 1.

Sedlak was a huge part of our win against the pens winning every face off he had to take and playing great D. Him coming back brought a lot of energy. I'm excited to see what's ahead for the kid.

mikeyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 03:37 PM
WannabeFinn
Duuuuuub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
I really like Sedlak and had maybe higher expectations for him than others based on his Calder playoff run (I started voted for him pretty really in the prospect ranking last year, but was clearly in the minority based on the voting).

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned. Everyone assumes Vegas will take Bill if they take a forward, including me. Is there any chance they have Sedlak ranked higher and that's who they will take?
Anderson/Karlsson would be above Sedlak for sure. And that's just for exposed forwards.

WannabeFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2017, 05:58 AM
The Old Guy
Who Are Those Guys?

*Bump*

Now that we know Wild Bill Karlsson is in Las Vegas, and it certainly appears Matt Duchene will not be in Columbus. So what do we see ahead for Lucas Sedlak?

The only remaining question is if PLD makes the team (likely), does he slot into a center position or a wing position? What does that likely mean for Sedlak?

In a great example to demonstrate how much we fans know about ranking prospects, Sedlak was unable to be voted one of the top 20 prospects last summer in our forum prospects ranking. All he did was make the team, play in 62 regular season and 2 playoff games. Sedlak delivered 7-6-13 with 25 PIM's and a +10. Sedlak took 57 shots and had a 12.3% shooting percentage. He also won 52.4% of his faceoffs.

So since we did such a great job spotting his break out last year, what role will he play and what sort of production can he deliver for our CBJ in 17-18?

The Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2017, 07:10 AM
CBJFan827

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Guy View Post
*Bump*

Now that we know Wild Bill Karlsson is in Las Vegas, and it certainly appears Matt Duchene will not be in Columbus. So what do we see ahead for Lucas Sedlak?

The only remaining question is if PLD makes the team (likely), does he slot into a center position or a wing position? What does that likely mean for Sedlak?

In a great example to demonstrate how much we fans know about ranking prospects, Sedlak was unable to be voted one of the top 20 prospects last summer in our forum prospects ranking. All he did was make the team, play in 62 regular season and 2 playoff games. Sedlak delivered 7-6-13 with 25 PIM's and a +10. Sedlak took 57 shots and had a 12.3% shooting percentage. He also won 52.4% of his faceoffs.

So since we did such a great job spotting his break out last year, what role will he play and what sort of production can he deliver for our CBJ in 17-18?
In the regular season (until the last month) for 15-16, he was largely pedestrian for Cleveland. He hit another gear down the stretch and in the playoffs, earning him a short deal. He put it together and made the opening night roster, which I didn't fully expect.

I think he's a good 4th liner, an energy guy, can win some faceoffs. I do not believe he has much more offensive potential than what he's shown, but that's okay. He'll be part of one of our two main PK units and possibly asked to center our 5 on 5 shutdown line. Those are valuable traits.

CBJFan827 is offline   Reply With Quote