HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Does winning another Cup get Kessel into the HHOF?

Old
04-19-2017, 02:46 PM
Regal

vCash: 500
If he stays productive for a long time, puts up high career totals and continues to put up big playoff numbers while the Pens win at least one more and go on some long runs, he might have a shot based on longevity, playoffs and being a big part of a dominant team. The Hall isn't always about individual awards. Guys like Shanahan, Anderson, and Nieuwendyk are in a similar boat.

Regal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 02:54 PM
uTurris
We the True North

Believe it or not, he's nearly there, but will not be a first ballot unless he somehow gets an Olympic gold.

I think he could eventually get in, just won't be a first ballot.

uTurris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 02:54 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Since he entered the league, he's 21st in scoring and 14th in goals. That's not good enough. Even skipping his first two low output seasons, he's only 12th in scoring and 7th in goals.

He might get on a Top 10 Forwards of the 2010s list but I don't know if that's enough. A Conn Smythe would help, he has a good playoff reputation already.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 02:56 PM
Mitts
ERROR 520

Possibly, is there another Kessel I don't know about ? Phil's HOF resume is severely lacking.

Mitts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 02:56 PM
Peat

Second cup alone won't be enough.

Second cup and a Rocket, or three cups, and I think maybe the conversation changes. Probably needs to stay roughly this productive for another five seasons or so too.

Peat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 02:58 PM
Mitts Marner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonKendrick View Post
Sundin is in the HoF so basically anyone can make it, Kessel puts up consistent numbers, remember defending him as a Leaf using those manipulative arguements like 'he's been a top five point producer over 5 seasons' so he'll get his cute numbers to make a case.

If he was never a Leaf 2 cups would get him in, given he was the scapegoat to an extent for Burke making a bad trade I'd say he needs 3 cups now.
Really, so anyone can come along and be the highest scoring Swede in NHL history?

Mitts Marner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 02:58 PM
BillDerlago
They did it Naylor

I don't think so but the HHOF is probably the easiest HOF to get into so who tf knows. Surely he wouldn't get in on the strength of 2 Cups.

BillDerlago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 02:59 PM
BillDerlago
They did it Naylor

Quote:
Sundin is in the HoF so basically anyone can make it, Kessel puts up consistent numbers, remember defending him as a Leaf using those manipulative arguements like 'he's been a top five point producer over 5 seasons' so he'll get his cute numbers to make a case.

If he was never a Leaf 2 cups would get him in, given he was the scapegoat to an extent for Burke making a bad trade I'd say he needs 3 cups now.
lol wtf is this?

BillDerlago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 03:02 PM
Mitts Marner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDerlago View Post
lol wtf is this?
He also ranks 50th all-time in Points Per Game.

But yeah, anyone can do that.

Old
04-19-2017, 03:07 PM
Regal

Associating Sundin with just anyone getting in was a bit much, but Sundin is an example of how consistency and longevity as a high end player can get you in without individual awards.

Old
04-19-2017, 03:07 PM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
I imagine his NHLPA membership card will get him in the HOF for free.
This

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 03:10 PM
HELWild
Master of Puppets

I still don't get it how Cups make your chances to be selected to HHOF.

HELWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 03:10 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELWild View Post
The bigger the cup size, the easier to get in, that has always been a thing.

Old
04-19-2017, 03:13 PM
66-30-33

Maybe the Hotdog Hall of Fame.

66-30-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 03:15 PM
Voight
#winning

vCash: 520
Quote:

Sundin is far from the weakest HHOF inductee. The hate is strong with this one.

Him being a scapegoat for the Leafs is also a very stupid reason for him needing more to get in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaymanX View Post
Well, I'm not saying he's a first ballot candidate, but look at the other upcoming HHOF candidates:

Mark Recchi

Selected to seven NHL All-Star Games: 1991, 1993, 1994, 1997, 1998, 1999 and 2000
Named the MVP of the 1997 NHL All-Star Game
Named to the 1992 NHL Second All-Star Team
World championship`s gold medalist 1997

When all is said and done, Kessel will likely have 1-2 other Cups under his belt and 3-4 more All Star game appearances.

He's a dominant offensive force and one of the greatest US born players in the post-cap era.
Quote:
Recchi's Regular Season Scoring Finishes (3 times top 5!):

Top-20 in goals: 9th, 11th, 13th, 14th, 19th, 20th
Top-20 in assists: 1st, 4th, 7th, 10th, 13th, 15th, 17th, 18th
Top-20 in points: 3rd, 4th, 5th, 10th, 12th, 12th, 14th, 19th

A three time Stanley Cup winner: 1991 Pittsburgh, 2006 Carolina, 2011 Boston.

Recchi was still a more than serviceable offensive producer at the age of 42 when he was 6th on the Bruins in scoring.

Top-10 in playoff goals 4 Times (4th, 8th, 10th, 10th)
Top-16 in playoff assists 5 Times (2nd, 3rd, 14th, 15th, 16th)
Top-16 in playoff points 4 Times (2nd, 5th, 12th, 16th)

Alfredsson

Top 20 finishes
Goals: 9, 9, 9, 12
Assists: 8, 11, 13, 13, 13, 17
Points 4, 7, 9, 15, 17, 19

Award voting finishes
Hart: 5, 16, 17
All Star: 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9
Selke (all forwards): 3, 10, 11, 15
Selke (wingers only): 2, 3, 4, 4
Kessel has a lot of catching up to do in his 30's.

Voight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 03:16 PM
Voight
#winning

vCash: 520
Quote:
They help borderline players get in, but they are more of a sweetener than an important piece of criteria.

Voight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 03:16 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky04 View Post
Links? or is this after 1 series/game? Because there was 0 case for him at the end of either playoff runs. Not sure how you'd have any argument for Hossa against Kane/Toews 2010 or Crawford/Kane in 2013 but ok.
Guy have been to 5 cup finals winning 3. He is in no way shape or form a passenger on any of those teams.

Old
04-19-2017, 03:23 PM
Mitts Marner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Guy have been to 5 cup finals winning 3. He is in no way shape or form a passenger on any of those teams.
Hossa signed with the teams that would give him the best chance to win a cup.

He was traded from Atlanta to Pittsburgh, went to the Finals with a team led by Crosby and Malkin. Jumped ship to the team that beat them in the Finals, and lost to the original team he should have just stayed with. After that he jumped over to the Blackhawks who had made it to the WCF the year before and were on the upswing, and has remained there since.

Old
04-19-2017, 03:50 PM
hurricanedave

Quote:

Well Sundin is also top 30 all time in points and goals, what he lacked in peek accomplishment he made up for with really consistent play year after year. If you look at the list of company around Sundin's numbers they're all HHOF members.

hurricanedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 04:34 PM
Moncherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaymanX View Post
Participated in the All Star game 3x (2011, 2012, 2015)
Stanley Cup Champion (2016)
Olympic All Star Team (2014)
Bill Masterston Winner (2006)
I find it amusing that you include participating in the all star game as an accolade.

Moncherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 05:07 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Rather Be A Pig...

vCash: 2525
Quote:
I buy them as a sort of a tie-breaker...if you're on the edge of being a Hall of Famer it's hard to argue against a ring helping your case...but I roll my eyes at it being a primary component of a player's Hall of Fame case.

Kessel, for now at least, looks like a prime candidate for the Hall of Very Good. If he plays another 80 playoff games at a near PPG clip that could change, but that's asking a lot. Kessel having 2 rings instead of the 1 he already has doesn't really move the needle for me...though obviously I hope like hell he retires with a drawer full of them

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 05:37 PM
LeafFever

Stats get players into the HHOF more than cups.
Kessel imo, can play until he's 40 at a high level. There is zero mileage on his body. He hasn't been a game in 8 years. In the end, yes, his stats will get him in. But a second cup this Spring will not.

LeafFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 05:43 PM
Regal

Quote:
The Hall committee loves winners, it's just how it is. You have to be a large contributer to get credit though. I think there's also a sense of players sacrificing individual numbers and awards for team success that makes it easier to overlook lowered stats. Winning also leads to more playoff games and usually better playoff numbers, plus moments and memories that stick in people's minds. The best of the best like Ovechkin will always get in no matter what their teams do, but the 2nd and 3rd tier guys usually need something extra. Glenn Anderson doesn't get in without his playoff heroics. Neither does Joe Nieuwendyk who also has the distinction of cups with three different teams. Ditto Clark Gillies. It's not cups alone though, it's how you're viewed through the lens of a winning team.

Old
04-19-2017, 06:00 PM
LeafFever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal View Post
The Hall committee loves winners, it's just how it is. You have to be a large contributer to get credit though. I think there's also a sense of players sacrificing individual numbers and awards for team success that makes it easier to overlook lowered stats. Winning also leads to more playoff games and usually better playoff numbers, plus moments and memories that stick in people's minds. The best of the best like Ovechkin will always get in no matter what their teams do, but the 2nd and 3rd tier guys usually need something extra. Glenn Anderson doesn't get in without his playoff heroics. Neither does Joe Nieuwendyk who also has the distinction of cups with three different teams. Ditto Clark Gillies. It's not cups alone though, it's how you're viewed through the lens of a winning team.
There's actually quite a few guys without cups in the HHOF, even ones without the amazing stats.

LeafFever is offline   Reply With Quote