HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Eichel vs Bylsma

Old
04-19-2017, 11:04 AM
ek93

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterOffWithFedorov View Post
Summed up pretty well here honestly. He's a headache to say the least, but Sabres fans hopes rest with him so I get their reluctance to admit to his problems
And you're a Leaf fan, so I get your reluctance to admit that you're gonna bash the Sabres/Eichel at every chance you get.

I'm sure you called Eichel a diva and entitled when it came out that he "bashed" his teammates in his year-end presser. Instead of just watching it and making an educated opinion for yourself.

ek93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:05 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPensFan1 View Post
As a Pens fan, I can only dream of what might have been had Sid & Geno & Company did the same. Could have saved a couple lousy seasons.

At the end of the day, Eichel has the right to play where he wants when his contact is up. Whether its because he hates DB or the city of Buffalo or wants to soak up the rays in Tampa, its his choice. He didn't leak this, as far as we know. He did it the right away and kept it internal.

Though, it does set a bit of a dangerous precedent. What if O'Rielly doesn't like the next coach? What if Kane LIKES Bylsma? Its an awful can of worms to work around. Will be interesting to see how this unfolds.
Only one of those guys is Eichel. I know it's just an example but odds are Kane has at most one season left with the team.
Plus he's just Evander Kane. No one has the same level of importance to the franchise Eichel does.

Anyhow, it's clear to those following the team that a lot of players, likely a majority of the entire team, want Bylsma gone. It's pretty clear the GM is not enamored either, however there is the matter of $9m owed, so it's not like he can make an executive decision there without the owner's blessing.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:06 AM
JosephAnthony

IMO I think players should have more of a voice as to who they want their coaches to be. I could be wrong but does a GM even ask the players before hiring a coach if they would want him in the first place? Eichel wants to win, as should every player regardless of how long they've been in the league. I have no problem with him acting out. He's basically speaking out on all the fraustrations we as Sabres fans have against the org.

- we hate our coach
- we're not winning
- our team does not try hard enough
- some are just happy to be there
Etc.

What's wrong with that? It's all true, someone has to make it known to the big boys

JosephAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BetterOffWithFedorov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ek93 View Post
And you're a Leaf fan, so I get your reluctance to admit that you're gonna bash the Sabres/Eichel at every chance you get.

I'm sure you called Eichel a diva and entitled when it came out that he "bashed" his teammates in his year-end presser. Instead of just watching it and making an educated opinion for yourself.
I watched it and yeah he looked pretty bad there. Reminds me a lot of Kessel

BetterOffWithFedorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WJZ3
SAVEMONEY

Are people who leave their jobs because they don't like their boss concisedere divas?

Dan Bylsma's system is a tire fire, why would Eichel want to waste away his career?

WJZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ek93

Quote:
Whether it's something that happens tomorrow or far down the line, if he's already saying that he's going to refuse to sign his contract unless he gets his way, it's a sign of him being disloyal. It's tough to give Eichel the benefit of the doubt here given his track record as well, but I guess it is something we have to wait and see how it develops
What track record? He doesn't like the coach. Sounds like neither do most players in the room.

It comes down to winning. He wants to win. He can't win under Bylsma. What is he supposed to do? Waste his career?

Old
04-19-2017, 11:08 AM
ek93

Quote:
He looks bad by saying there needs to be more of a commitment to winning? Then saying he loves all his teammates?

Gosh, what an ******* for wanting to win. He should just accept losing and give cookie cutter answers like every other player in the league. Shame on him.

Old
04-19-2017, 11:08 AM
Chris McKinlay

Quote:
It's ridiculous that people are calling Eichel a diva and entitled over something that might not even be true.

And even if it is, good for him. If you were a player, would you want to waste years of your career in a terrible system that doesn't allow you to play to your full potential? And possibly miss out on millions of dollars?

If so, I really hope you guys don't take that mentality into your daily lives. Work a job where you're miserable just because you're "loyal" to the company. Jeez.
So you're saying that Taylor Hall should request a trade because NJ is a bad team. Bo Horvat should leave the Canucks because they're bringing his numbers down?

You try going into your workplace in your second year and demanding your boss gets fired and see how that works out for you. Do you have any life experience?

Chris McKinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:09 AM
JosephAnthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJZ3 View Post
Are people who leave their jobs because they don't like their boss concisedere divas?

Dan Bylsma's system is a tire fire, why would Eichel want to waste away his career?
I wanted to make this comparison but didn't want to get the "it's completely different" response

JosephAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:10 AM
ek93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris McKinlay View Post
So you're saying that Taylor Hall should request a trade because NJ is a bad team. Bo Horvat should leave the Canucks because they're bringing his numbers down?

You try going into your workplace in your second year and demanding your boss gets fired and see how that works out for you.
He's not demanding his boss be fired. He's saying he will go work somewhere else, which he is free to do after next year.

And yes, I have left a ****** job because I didn't like it. And then I worked at a better place and was much happier because of that. Most people don't accept being miserable. Don't be a sheep.

Edit: Yeah, clearly I don't have "life experience" because I don't accept working a **** job and being unhappy. This place never ceased to amaze me.

Old
04-19-2017, 11:10 AM
nickdawg95
scoutdawg

Quote:
kessel did everything he could to be the player the leafs needed him to be and he was !!! it's just that management gave him bozak lupul dion and tyler biggs as the main core and he failed and got sick of everyone blaming him, you must of hated it when kessel won a cup, he's a special player and would instantly make any team better.

nickdawg95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:11 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneye View Post
Eichel doesn't come out looking too well on this one...but if it's true he's right. Bylsma is a bad coach, I can see why the players want him gone.
If Bylsma gets canned, Eichel looks like a goddamn hero and a shoe-in for next captain. Ted Nolan's tank teams were almost more fun to watch than last year's Sabres, and Nolan only had about 1.5 NHL-caliber players to work with.

FWIW, these aren't just Eichel's problems with Bylsma. Sabres media on Twitter has said that many players asked Eichel to relay their concerns because everyone knows his words are the ones that could sway management.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hasek

Leaf fans are awfully worried in this thread. I wonder why...

Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in the Flood

Bylsma is a buffoon and ruined 5+ years of Sid's career.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mattilaus

vCash: 123
ITT: a bunch of sabres fans and pens fans, who have a greater understanding of bylsma, agreeing with Eichel.

A bunch if leaf fans coming in here to bash and pretending like they know more about the situation than sabres fans and pens fans.

Classic.

Mattilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:13 AM
BM14

Quote:
He's not demanding his boss be fired. He's saying he will go work somewhere else, which he is free to do after next year.

And yes, I have left a ****** job because I didn't like it. And then I worked at a better place and was much happier because of that. Most people don't accept being miserable. Don't be a sheep.

Edit: Yeah, clearly I don't have "life experience" because I don't accept working a **** job and being unhappy. This place never ceased to amaze me.
No, he's not. His rights are owned by Buffalo.

BM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris McKinlay View Post

You try going into your workplace in your second year and demanding your boss gets fired and see how that works out for you. Do you have any life experience?
No one is saying Eichel requested a trade

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SatanwasaSlovak

Will not continue to post this in the Sabres-forum because they are all calling for me to get banned for saying my opinion. But in all fairness, Eichel needs to be traded, if you want to create a good and winning team culture. You can't have players being bigger than the team or the coach, that's not how hierarchies work.

As an example, i and many of my swedish countrymen have had to suffer seing Zlatan Ibrahimovic's Sweden play for around 7 years. They achieved nothing, the team was a mess, Zlatan was given the position of a leader to the point of it being ridicoulus and the team suffered because of this, they were actually playing better without their superstar in the team.

I can't see how this will end up good for the Sabres-franchise, i can't see giving a 21-year old who never achieved anything yet in a grown-man's league, dictating how this franchise should be run and who should coach him. It's sets a bad precendent that could turn really ugly, real soon. Especially if they continue to be bad as a team.

Maybe i'm a bit old-school, but rookies like Eichel etc would be better off knowing their roles and shut their mouths. This is a hierarchial problem and it would be stupid letting a young guy, without experience dictate that for the franchise.

Of course, i can't say speak my opinion of this, because i'm deemed as a troll, a hater, whatever who dares question Eichel or Buffalo's decisions. But this is my opinion, this is a message board about hockey so deal with it.

SatanwasaSlovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
qc

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPensFan1 View Post
As a Pens fan, I can only dream of what might have been had Sid & Geno & Company did the same. Could have saved a couple lousy seasons.

At the end of the day, Eichel has the right to play where he wants when his contact is up. Whether its because he hates DB or the city of Buffalo or wants to soak up the rays in Tampa, its his choice. He didn't leak this, as far as we know. He did it the right away and kept it internal.

Though, it does set a bit of a dangerous precedent. What if O'Rielly doesn't like the next coach? What if Kane LIKES Bylsma? Its an awful can of worms to work around. Will be interesting to see how this unfolds.
O'Reilly and Kane are good players/pieces. Eichel is Buffalo's only shot at becoming relevant in the foreseeable future. You obviously don't capitulate to everything, but firing an undeniably bad coach because your best player (and most of his teammates I assume) think he's an undeniably bad coach is a no-brainer.

I don't even know why they hired Bylsma in the first place. Did Murray fall in love with him because of his personality on HBO? I know a lot of folks did at the time. The guy seems nice enough, but he has no business being an NHL head coach. Assistant coach? Maybe. AHL/OHL coach? Maybe...but that's it.

qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:14 AM
kenfury

Eichel's base salary is about 1 million/yr with a 2 million bonus. If my boss cost me a 200% end of year bonus I'd be livid and there would be some very long awkward conversations. I dont imagine this is much different. Nobody like a boss with questionable talent stopping them from doing their job, doubly so if it costs them money.

kenfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stephen

Interesting to see what the follow up is if Eichel and friends don't deliver on wins with their new handpicked coach.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ek93

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM14 View Post
No, he's not. His rights are owned by Buffalo.
When his contract expires he can't sign somewhere else? So he's doomed to be a Sabre for life then?

Old
04-19-2017, 11:15 AM
chethejet

Crosby was in a different situation as he was close to Mario. I am sure Sid had issues with Bylsma but understood taking a different road. Bylsma cost the Pens opportunity and Shero his job. If Buffalo wants to build around him, then they have to walk that fine line. Buffalo has to change the management and bring in better more capable people. Great organizations limit their exposure to crap people/players.

chethejet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:15 AM
CanadianPensFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsonite23 View Post
Honestly, everybody knows it's a bad look, but we don't care. He is THAT bad of a coach that we can take everybody ******** on Eichel for a little while in order for him to be gone.

I don't see it as a bad look for Eichel. He did it the right way imo.

It doesn't even really look bad from an org standpoint. They have a coach that sucks. Its happens. As a pens fan, my heart goes out to you guys lol

CanadianPensFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:16 AM
Hans Gruber
Shoot Ze Glass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatanwasaSlovak View Post
Will not continue to post this in the Sabres-forum because they are all calling for me to get banned for saying my opinion. But in all fairness, Eichel needs to be traded, if you want to create a good and winning team culture. You can't have players being bigger than the team or the coach, that's not how hierarchies work.

As an example, i and many of my swedish countrymen have had to suffer seing Zlatan Ibrahimovic's Sweden play for around 7 years. They achieved nothing, the team was a mess, Zlatan was given the position of a leader to the point of it being ridicoulus and the team suffered because of this, they were actually playing better without their superstar in the team.

I can't see how this will end up good for the Sabres-franchise, i can't see giving a 21-year old who never achieved anything yet in a grown-man's league, dictating how this franchise should be run and who should coach him. It's sets a bad precendent that could turn really ugly, real soon. Especially if they continue to be bad as a team.

Maybe i'm a bit old-school, but rookies like Eichel etc would be better off knowing their roles and shut their mouths. This is a hierarchial problem and it would be stupid letting a young guy, without experience dictate that for the franchise.

Of course, i can't say speak my opinion of this, because i'm deemed as a troll, a hater, whatever who dares question Eichel or Buffalo's decisions. But this is my opinion, this is a message board about hockey so deal with it.
You deserve everything coming your way sir. You don't trade the guy you tanked for in order to keep the coach that couldn't win with Crosby or Malkin.

Hans Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote