HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Eichel vs Bylsma

Old
04-19-2017, 11:16 AM
Silver91
Agent 0091

vCash: 500
Don't like the idea of caving in to a young player making demands, even if it's something that should happen. What's going to happen down the road when he doesn't like the next coach? Or if he has problems with a teammate? It sets a precedent that he is more important than the franchise.

Kind of get the feeling that he might pull a LeBron and leave the minute he's eligible, without the returning home after he possibly wins a championship or 2 lol.

Silver91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:16 AM
Chris McKinlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxon View Post
No one is saying Eichel requested a trade
No, you are correct. it's more akin to going on strike.

Chris McKinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:17 AM
Empoleon8771
Kunitz Was There

Bylsma is a horrid coach and Eichel is a franchise 1C. It's not even remotely a question who you keep if they're clashing.

Empoleon8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris McKinlay View Post
So you're saying that Taylor Hall should request a trade because NJ is a bad team. Bo Horvat should leave the Canucks because they're bringing his numbers down?

You try going into your workplace in your second year and demanding your boss gets fired and see how that works out for you.
If your boss is ruining your company, then yes you should speak up.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ek93

Quote:
Nope, still not understanding. Eichel refusing to dress or play while he's a member of the Sabres would be going on strike.

It's more akin to not being happy with your current job situation and going to work somewhere else. Which happens quite a bit in the real world, believe it or not. But I wouldn't know because I don't have "life experience".

ek93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc View Post
O'Reilly and Kane are good players/pieces. Eichel is Buffalo's only shot at becoming relevant in the foreseeable future. You obviously don't capitulate to everything, but firing an undeniably bad coach because your best player (and most of his teammates I assume) think he's an undeniably bad coach is a no-brainer.

I don't even know why they hired Bylsma in the first place. Did Murray fall in love with him because of his personality on HBO? I know a lot of folks did at the time. The guy seems nice enough, but he has no business as an NHL head coach. Assistant coach? Maybe. AHL/OHL coach? Maybe...but that's it.
Pegula may have had a hand in hiring Bylsma, especially given his connections to Pittsburgh.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:18 AM
ThatAvsGamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg95 View Post
How exactly ? have you not been keeping up with the disco dan situation ? he's sucks all of HF/buffalo knows he sucks and because we have a player willing to speak up for the majority of his team that means it's a bad thing ? nah that's captain material right there, matthews would never have the courage to do what eichel is doing rn
Mathews has a great coach

ThatAvsGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BM14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasek View Post
Leaf fans are awfully worried in this thread. I wonder why...
Please.

Buffalo is no threat to Toronto.

You can't even get your own players to compete and get along and you think Leafs fans fear your team?

We're commenting on an NHL issue.
You don't need to like or dislike Buffalo to comment on this.

It's a diva move for a D +2 player - no way around it.
You can disagree, you can dislike and you can hate your coach and his system....but to threaten to not re-sign due to a coach as a RFA? While its said behind closed doors, it's not normal to have it leaked out and thats why anyone can comment.

BM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Walshy7

vCash: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by ek93 View Post
When his contract expires he can't sign somewhere else? So he's doomed to be a Sabre for life then?
no he cant. not for 7 years, when his ELC is up he will be a RFA meaning unless traded he can only sign with the sabres. He will have to wait to UFA

as for this "report" many a twitter guy these days looking for their 15 mins, wait for a real report then start worrying

Walshy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MATTHEWSisGretzky
LeafsDynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattilaus View Post
ITT: a bunch of sabres fans and pens fans, who have a greater understanding of bylsma, agreeing with Eichel.

A bunch if leaf fans coming in here to bash and pretending like they know more about the situation than sabres fans and pens fans.

Classic.
This should be quoted on every page, because you know leafs fans aren't going to read the comments and just post random drivel.

Save us, Eichel. You're our only hope.

MATTHEWSisGretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:19 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Principal View Post
You deserve everything coming your way sir. You don't trade the guy you tanked for in order to keep the coach that couldn't win with Crosby or Malkin.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:19 AM
SatanwasaSlovak

Quote:
So you're saying that Taylor Hall should request a trade because NJ is a bad team. Bo Horvat should leave the Canucks because they're bringing his numbers down?

You try going into your workplace in your second year and demanding your boss gets fired and see how that works out for you. Do you have any life experience?
Of course not, it's the entitled generation of millenials we're talking about here.

SatanwasaSlovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:20 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Not really. The report, if true, does not say anything about refusing to play. It is about refusing to immediately extend his contract, which isn't even up for a season. This is many steps removed what most people are taking it as.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CanadianPensFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc View Post
O'Reilly and Kane are good players/pieces. Eichel is Buffalo's only shot at becoming relevant in the foreseeable future. You obviously don't capitulate to everything, but firing an undeniably bad coach because your best player (and most of his teammates I assume) think he's an undeniably bad coach is a no-brainer.

I don't even know why they hired Bylsma in the first place. Did Murray fall in love with him because of his personality on HBO? I know a lot of folks did at the time. The guy seems nice enough, but he has no business as an NHL head coach. Assistant coach? Maybe. AHL/OHL coach? Maybe...but that's it.
Oh I agree with you. I was just talking with my brain. Going through the options. It sorta does create a Pandora's box. Lets forget Kane/O'Rielly. At this point, Eichel seems like a good kid imo. But lets say, in a fictional world, the Sabres hire Ken Hitchcock and Eichel says "meh, I don't like him either." Like where is the line drawn? "Hey Pegula .. you fired that guy for me .. do it again bro." I sincerely don't see that happening. Im just saying ... once the box is opened, it might be tough to close.

Dan does seem like a nice guy. Good family man. etc etc. But he's not a good coach at the NHL level, as you say!

Had this same convo in another thread about separating the man at the rink from the man in real life. I hate Scott Hartnell as a player. I think he's crapburger. But away from the rink, he seems like a genuinely good dude. The whole "suck it Phaneuf" from the all star game. The #hartnelldown thing. He seems like a funny down to earth guy. On the ice, I want him to suck repeatedly and get his face punched. But its hard to rationalize that with the man away from the ice. Same with DB.

CanadianPensFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ek93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatanwasaSlovak View Post
Of course not, it's the entitled generation of millenials we're talking about here.
Yeah, so entitled because we want to be happy in life and not be stuck in a dead-end job that we hate. We're "entitled" because we'd rather seek a solution that makes us happy instead of being miserable in a bad situation.

Thought you were done posting for the day after the garbage you were spewing on the Sabres board earlier. Guess not.

ek93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
danielpalfredsson
dorion is an ok gm

If this were a bad movie Eichel and Bylsma would get into an argument while wrestling over a hockey stick that gets hit by lightning which would cause them to change bodies. Then a goofy series of events would take place as Eichel realizes it isn't easy being a stuffy uncreative coach in the NHL while Bylsma in Eichel's body comes to terms with the difficulties of being a 20 year old franchise center who just wants to hit his performance bonuses. Once they fully understand each other, they'd change back to their regular bodies and be able to beat the Toronto Maple Leafs as a result of their new understanding of each other.

danielpalfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:21 AM
Oscar Lindberg

A lot of Toronto fans talking ****

Not surprising

If it was Matthews doing this, they would be all behind him

Give Eichel whatever you want if you're the Sabres. If not, the Rangers will take him

Oscar Lindberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:21 AM
BetterOffWithFedorov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integrity979 View Post
This should be quoted on every page, because you know leafs fans aren't going to read the comments and just post random drivel.

Save us, Eichel. You're our only hope.
Yeah I'm sure the fans saying "Save us, Eichel" are the impartial ones and are only taking his side through sheer coincidence

BetterOffWithFedorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:22 AM
SatanwasaSlovak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfury View Post
Eichel's base salary is about 1 million/yr with a 2 million bonus. If my boss cost me a 200% end of year bonus I'd be livid and there would be some very long awkward conversations. I dont imagine this is much different. Nobody like a boss with questionable talent stopping them from doing their job, doubly so if it costs them money.
What is this ridiculous narrative? Should Dan Bylsma have changed his game-plans to accomodate one player's goal of achieving a bonus? Should Eichel had shared that bonus with his team-mates then? What the ****!?

SatanwasaSlovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:23 AM
Sky04

He's only put 2 years in the league, deal with it. Diva for sure.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stigma

Eichel is neurotic.

He will have grievances throughout his entire career.

Note it.

Stigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Butchered
I'm with Kuch

Send a message via AIM to Butchered
If he was a good coach, it'd be one thing. Good on Eichel.

Butchered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:24 AM
RyCam

Not a big fan of players dictating the hiring and firing of coaches. That said, we have seen this story before in Buffalo, it didn't turn out too awful for them when they gave in to that certain player's demand(they ended up in the SCF).

RyCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver91 View Post
Don't like the idea of caving in to a young player making demands, even if it's something that should happen. What's going to happen down the road when he doesn't like the next coach? Or if he has problems with a teammate? It sets a precedent that he is more important than the franchise.

Kind of get the feeling that he might pull a LeBron and leave the minute he's eligible, without the returning home after he possibly wins a championship or 2 lol.
Precedent??? This stuff happens ALL the time. I doubt it was a coincidence that Edmonton suddenly decided to change the way they'd done everything for a decade and replaced all of their management/coaching staff when they landed McDavid. I sure doubt Crosby and Ovechkin have had nothing to do with any of the myriad of coaching changes their teams have been through. Or, heck, check out what went on with SJS a few years back (coach replaced and Thornton stripped of the C).

Star players are the most valuable assets a franchise can have, way more so than any coach, and that is a secret to no one.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Aladyyn
KT stands for KluTch

"Young superstar wants to win."

"lol what a diva" - hfboards

Aladyyn is offline   Reply With Quote