HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What are the Flames missing? Please read the OP first*

Old
04-19-2017, 03:31 PM
Brokin

vCash: 500
Want a RW? Reilly Smith straight up for Bennett. Trade Brouwer to some sucker. Jankowski will be your 3C next year.

Brokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 03:35 PM
viper0220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokin View Post
Want a RW? Reilly Smith straight up for Bennett. Trade Brouwer to some sucker. Jankowski will be your 3C next year.

We need someone with more grit, I don't think Bennett goes anywhere.

viper0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 03:37 PM
Vali Maki Sushi
Tuna Vali Maki Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I think players like Jeff Carter and Bishop would work well. Slightly more experience and size to the roster. I think our D is ok, but a punishing Regehr type would be lovely on the back end, but not a necessity.

Overall though, I think it's just maturation and experience. Gully needs a dose of it as well as the players.

I'd perhaps consider a new goalie coach too.
Explain how we are going to get a divisional rival to trade a player of the type of players that they need?

Vali Maki Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 03:55 PM
Fig

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeat View Post
Explain how we are going to get a divisional rival to trade a player of the type of players that they need?
"Players like" in the context of that sentence means I'm not dead set on a guy like Carter.

As a mental exercise though, maybe LA is looking to trade him to change the attitude in the room?

Last edited by Fig: 04-19-2017 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Snark
Fig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 04:07 PM
Devilspuppet666

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsRockForBabcock View Post
IMO they don't have a true #1 C, a true #1 D (Although they have 3 top pairing D), a true #1 G, are inexperienced, and lack quality depth.
Someone explain to me what a 1st line center is and why Monahan isn't or couldn't become one? it seems like a common opinion of him but hes averaging 61 points/year and hes the old age of 22 (turning 23 in OCT) and that is with a difficult start to this year (22 points in the first 41 games 36 in the last 41).

I get that its more than just points but he was known as a complete 2 way player in juniors and many players get better defensively with time.

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 04:14 PM
DJJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
Someone explain to me what a 1st line center is and why Monahan isn't or couldn't become one? it seems like a common opinion of him but hes averaging 61 points/year and hes the old age of 22 (turning 23 in OCT) and that is with a difficult start to this year (22 points in the first 41 games 36 in the last 41).

I get that its more than just points but he was known as a complete 2 way player in juniors and many players get better defensively with time.
Meh whatever, replace 1C with elite and it's a fair point. Monahan is good, I'd argue top 30 center easy but he isn't elite.

DJJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 04:47 PM
mkwong268

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeat View Post
You get Boston to get the player for you first then trade with Boston, apparently.

mkwong268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 05:05 PM
Marmoset

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
There is a good chance that the Flames will not get past the Ducks, going forward in your opinion, what are the Flames missing? What do they need to take that next step? Seeing the Flames in the regular season this year and the playoffs this year, what did you like and what did you not like? They got lot's of dead weight coming off, so that will help.
I know it seems like an obvious answer, but I think the number one priority should be goaltending. The Leafs and Oilers both have star forwards, but neither team would be where they are without a competent goalie. I don't think Andersen or Talbot are elite NHL starters at this point in time, but they're average NHL starters at worst and probably better than that. Regardless of exactly how good they are, the point is that they are reliable and fairly consistent. The Flames don't have that right now. Elliott has had times when he looks good, but it has not been consistent. Johnson had a nice stretch but he likely isn't the answer.

I think that the forward group is good and I wouldn't worry unless some of the young forwards don't show progress next year. I do think that as one or two other people mentioned, one more elite forward would really help by bumping everyone else down to the role they would be most ideally suited for. Of course, that's easier said than done.

Marmoset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 05:06 PM
Mobiandi
Seanny Gaudreau

vCash: 395
Of all the ambiguity surrounding this team, if there's one thing I'm sure of it's that Gio is a 1D

Mobiandi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 05:09 PM
gamer1035

accurately rated players

gamer1035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 05:10 PM
Brokin

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
We need someone with more grit, I don't think Bennett goes anywhere.
The truculent philosophy still rules. Couple of agitators in Bennett/Tkachuk each with over 30 minor penalties per season this year. Bennett will never be a top 9C with his temperament and will be supplanted on the depth chart by Jankowski next season. No shot at LW with Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and Ferland way ahead of him. We need grit more than Calgary does. Make the trade.

Brokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 05:18 PM
DJJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
I think that the forward group is good and I wouldn't worry unless some of the young forwards don't show progress next year. I do think that as one or two other people mentioned, one more elite forward would really help by bumping everyone else down to the role they would be most ideally suited for. Of course, that's easier said than done.
I don't want to overpay a UFA so I don't think another forward is coming from the outside. Maybe as a rental if we think we're ready for a push next year. Our forward depth relies on Bennett becoming a first liner, and Jankowski becoming a second liner.

Other less likely situations are Ferland becomes consistent (game 1 he was our best forward), or we get lucky with a prospect.

Old
04-19-2017, 05:20 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

With a really good goalie they would be right in the thick of it in this series. Every team has holes and the Flames may not be perfect but they are good enough to compete but an .887 save % kills a team.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 05:25 PM
IranCondraAffair

Depth at forward and better goaltending.

Signing Bishop and a couple of quality forwards, coupled with a maturing roster could do some serious damage.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 05:40 PM
madmike77

Consistent goaltending, a superstar and a 5/6 D pairing that won't kill the team.

They have a deep, young team. They could use more playoff experience and better goaltending.

People will list McDavid as the biggest difference between the Oilers and Flames and that's true, but Talbot is another huge difference. He was far better than Elliott this season and is a big reason the Oilers are where they are.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 06:05 PM
viper0220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokin View Post
The truculent philosophy still rules. Couple of agitators in Bennett/Tkachuk each with over 30 minor penalties per season this year. Bennett will never be a top 9C with his temperament and will be supplanted on the depth chart by Jankowski next season. No shot at LW with Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and Ferland way ahead of him. We need grit more than Calgary does. Make the trade.

If Jankowski passes Bennett on the depth chart that could be every good news for the Flames, than they can move Bennett to the wing.

Gaudreau - Monahan - x
Tkachuk - Jankowski(A)- Bennett
xx - Backlund - Forlik
Lot's of option for the 4th line(F. Hamilton, Hathaway, Chiasson or some other kid from the farm.)

Giordano-D. Hamilton
Stone(C)-Brodie
xxx-xxxx(D)

A true # 1 Goalie(B)
xxxxx

x would need to be filled through trade(get that line a top 6 RW), the xx could be Ferland and xxx and xxxx could be one(hopefully 2) of the kids from the farm. xxxxx should not be hard to fill.

(A) Jankowski has had a great season in the AHL and is one of the big reason's that the Stockton Heat is in the playoffs and you can switch Bennett to center if you like. Jankowski is ready for the jump to the NHL.

(B) Has to be some one who can carry the mail and play 60+ games and post above .920 Save % and around 2.22 GAA.

(C) Stone has looked with the Flames if they can sign him to a good deal than they should or look for another good top 4 D.

(D) One(hopefully 2) of the Kids from the farm really deserves the chance.

If Vegas takes Brouwer and Stajan and Bouma are traded, that would be very good.

Last edited by viper0220: 04-19-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old
04-19-2017, 06:18 PM
btimbit

Sign Bishop

Start graduating more prospects. They need more young guys to fill bottom roles not overpaid vets.

Other than that I'm not worried. I don't see that first line RW spot as such a glaring hole like some here do, I think we see Tkachuk on that first line next year anyway

btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 06:21 PM
krutovsdonut

they have all the hard charging, system playing, board grinding, crash banging, hard shooters you could want. but they live and die by the push. if they aren't going 120% they aren't very dangerous.

they need a couple more players with patience, poise and creativity in any position. and a goalie. and slightly better 3rd pair dman depth.

krutovsdonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 06:28 PM
Mr Positive
Cap Crunch Incoming

vCash: 1000
It warms my heart to see that they are always blaming the goalies, and depth. Those aren't the problem. They have a pretty great defense at moving the puck and scoring, but not very good at defending. Guys like Vlasic go mostly unheralded in this league but they add a lot of stability, especially against the top opponents in the league 5-on-5.

The Oilers defense was not good enough to do anything until we got Larsson and Russell. Now we can hold onto leads, even a 1 goal lead against a top team. The Flames can't hold onto a lead to save their lives, and it's because of the D.

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 06:38 PM
DJJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
It warms my heart to see that they are always blaming the goalies, and depth. Those aren't the problem. They have a pretty great defense at moving the puck and scoring, but not very good at defending. Guys like Vlasic go mostly unheralded in this league but they add a lot of stability, especially against the top opponents in the league 5-on-5.

The Oilers defense was not good enough to do anything until we got Larsson and Russell. Now we can hold onto leads, even a 1 goal lead against a top team. The Flames can't hold onto a lead to save their lives, and it's because of the D.
Haha Russell. Gio, Brodie and stone are way better than him defensively.

Old
04-19-2017, 06:40 PM
btimbit

If there's one thing I'm not worried about, it's the D. Especially if they re-sign Stone. Engelland's likely gone and they have some strong D prospects as well

Fire the damn goalie coach, he's ruined everyone he's gotten his hands on. Then sign a legit #1 like Bishop, no more of this 1a/1b nonsense. As much as people point to McDavid for the Oilers turning things around, trading for Talbot was their best move of the decade

btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 06:47 PM
viper0220

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
If there's one thing I'm not worried about, it's the D. Especially if they re-sign Stone. Engelland's likely gone and they have some strong D prospects as well

Fire the damn goalie coach, he's ruined everyone he's gotten his hands on. Then sign a legit #1 like Bishop, no more of this 1a/1b nonsense. As much as people point to McDavid for the Oilers turning things around, trading for Talbot was their best move of the decade

Agree with everything you say but Bishop, Bishop will likely be looking for a long term contract with big money and he is 31, if you give him all that and he wets the bed, than you are ****ed.

Agree with you on the Flames goalie coach, he needs to go and Talbot was a very good move for the Oilers.

Old
04-19-2017, 06:52 PM
Mr Positive
Cap Crunch Incoming

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJones View Post
Haha Russell. Gio, Brodie and stone are way better than him defensively.
I just bring up Russell because the principle is there. He is a defensive shutdown D and PKer, and although I'd say he's worse than the three you mentioned, he's not far off just in defensive play.

The main acquisition for our D was Larsson, and you don't have anyone close to him in terms of owning the defensive zone.

The Flames D kind of reminds me of the Jets D in that way. Lots ability, but not much stability.

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 06:55 PM
McDavyCrockett
Analytics? Lol

1) An elite player somewhere in the lineup

2) A #1C

3) A #1 Goalie

In reality, they're two players away...but those two players need to fill all three of the aforesaid criteria.

McDavyCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 06:57 PM
cbzblaze

vCash: 545
A legit goalie would help.
Their still a very streaky team. Experience will help with consistency.
Could use a little more size in the lineup as well.

cbzblaze is offline   Reply With Quote