HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NHL Blackouts

Old
04-19-2017, 05:37 PM
TBC

vCash: 500
NHL Blackouts

I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong area but I'm just trying to get a better understanding of how the blackouts work for NHL games. I'm going to be moving to Ottawa in August which is about and hour and a half away from where I live now and I'm wondering if the Toronto games are blacked out there? Currently I don't have sportsnet so whenever one of the Leafs games were on there I'd just watch a stream (if I remember correctly they were always blacked out on sportsnet years ago) however whenever the game was on CBC I could watch it but the show name on the TV would be labeled "NHL blackout in effect" for some reason.

edit: I also checked GameCentre earlier to see if the game was blacked out and it said it was however I just went on again and it's working just fine.

TBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 06:19 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
I will motivate you!

Somewhat of a guide

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle22035360/

Quote:
In simple terms, the NHL does not allow the broad distribution of one team’s games in another team’s market area. The idea is to maximize the price for each team’s regional broadcast rights, which are sold in packages separate from the 12-year, $5.2-billion national deal that Rogers struck with the NHL. For example, the league believes that if it allowed every Toronto Maple Leafs game to be shown in Vancouver it would drive down the price of the Canucks’ regional broadcast package.

However, many games are designated as national broadcasts – 350 this season on the Rogers networks and the CBC – and they can be seen across the country, generally on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday nights. The regional games are shown on the networks that bought them from the individual teams. In Canada, the regional English rights for the Montreal Canadiens, Canucks, Edmonton Oilers, Calgary Flames and some of the Leafs games are held by Rogers in addition to the national package. Rogers says it added 10 Canucks, Oilers, Flames and Habs games to the national broadcasts this season because it owns their regional rights as well.

TSN, owned by Rogers rival BCE Inc., has the rights to 26 Leafs games in addition to the Ottawa Senators and the Winnipeg Jets. BCE also holds the regional French rights to the Senators and Canadiens through RDS.

Major4Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 06:47 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Your best bet would be to stream all the games.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 08:23 PM
Inkling
Same Old Hockey

Toronto regional games are blacked out in Ottawa. The border between the two regions falls around Belleville, I believe. You'll get all the national games but will need Centre Ice/GameCentre or a stream to watch the rest.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 11:35 AM
tony d
BMO

If I didn't have the Centre Ice package I'd just get Ottawa and Montreal games and any other game on Sportsnet that's not national would be blacked out. I live in Newfoundland and Labrador. Don't know why they have these regional restrictions, people pay for the channel, they should get to see all content in the channel.

04-20-2017, 02:47 PM
Smirnov2Chistov
donaldtrump4prez

I wish someone could completely dumb it down for me. What's the point of paying for Gamecenter if they are going to black it out anyway?

NBCSN has been showing the CBC feed of the Ducks vs Flames and I was unable to watch it because of the blackout issue. I find it ironic that they're streaming from a Canadian feed rather than presenting it themselves. It's so annoying.

Smirnov2Chistov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:44 AM
syc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
If I didn't have the Centre Ice package I'd just get Ottawa and Montreal games and any other game on Sportsnet that's not national would be blacked out. I live in Newfoundland and Labrador. Don't know why they have these regional restrictions, people pay for the channel, they should get to see all content in the channel.
Its the same reason we have a lockout every few years. Greedy and stupid owners.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:42 AM
Varcus

vCash: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
Toronto regional games are blacked out in Ottawa. The border between the two regions falls around Belleville, I believe. You'll get all the national games but will need Centre Ice/GameCentre or a stream to watch the rest.
I live in Trenton I get both teams Local in Ottawa and Toronto the actual Border is suppossed to be just on the city limits in Belleville, But you still get access to both even in Belleville from what i understand

Varcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:11 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirnov2Chistov View Post
I wish someone could completely dumb it down for me. What's the point of paying for Gamecenter if they are going to black it out anyway?
There is no point, if you're trying to see something which is broadcast on cable in your area. Basically the only reason to get it is for out-of-market games (if you're a long distance fan or just watch A LOT of hockey).

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:45 AM
Tekneek

Quote:
Originally Posted by syc View Post
Its the same reason we have a lockout every few years. Greedy and stupid owners.
There was a time when people could watch any game on any channel. There was a cable system in the Atlanta area that had NESN back in the 80s and you could watch the Bruins (and Red Sox) without any blackouts.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote