HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What happened to Mike Richards?

Old
04-19-2017, 11:27 PM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
What happened to Mike Richards?

I'm watching a recap of the 2003 draft and they mentioned him. He was a damn good player for a while, a PPG player for a few years too. I'm not even sure if he's in the league anymore, he has completely fallen off a cliff the last few seasons regardless. It's not like he's 40. Was it injuries? Was he too slow for the game today?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:29 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Notwithstanding the on-ice reasons (small player taking a beating playing a hard-nosed game), there were clearly some off-ice issues too:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle28878971/

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/...op-of-the-nhl/

We'll probably never know the full story (and, keeping in mind the board's strict rules about libel, should not try to guess at it either) but safe to say a combination of the two reasons above played a part...

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:29 PM
Tragic King
Hank4Cup

Contract was terminated by the Kings in 2015 for drug related issues, played a bit for the Caps in 2016 but wasn't good.

Tragic King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:31 PM
KingsHockey24

His body worn down rather quickly from the style he played; not to mention he got really slow and couldn't keep up with the games pace. Bummer because he was one of my favorite players; even before being traded to LA. I wish Sutter gave him more PP time instead of Stoll, etc.

KingsHockey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:34 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
I was also a huge fan of Richards for how hard he played the game. But that style tends to take a toll. Look at Callahan now. Can hardly stay healthy. The off ice issues really hurt Richards. What a shame.

That was a much better trade for the Flyers. Simmonds is a beast. And Schenn should be their captain over the overrated Giroux.

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:35 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

People will give you long answers of everything he did right or wrong. The simplest short answer is Richards played an effective style of hockey that took a heavy toll on his body and is hard to maintain into your 30's as a hockey player.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:37 PM
SnowblindNYR

Thanks guys. Interesting, I didn't realize he had off ice issues.

Old
04-19-2017, 11:38 PM
JaegerDice
Q Gonna Q

A lot of miles racked up rather quickly, playing a very tough style.

There's growing concern among many Blackhawks fans that Toews, who has played similar style of game over more games played already, is seeing a similar drop off.

The one hope of course is that given Toews outspoken lifestyle choices, the chances of him partaking in some of the stuff that Richards did off ice is close to zero. Hopefully that slows the descent when it comes (if it hasn't already).

But yeah, Richards was a monster that didn't get nearly the acclaim he deserved through his peak years. But at least he got two cups, even though he wasn't at his best by that point.

JaegerDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:43 PM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

vCash: 50
Awards:
His playing style and his life style off-ice (see: Dry Island era in Philly) don't exactly lead to an overly lengthy career for guys that are a good size, yet alone smaller guys like Mike.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:47 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart View Post
I was also a huge fan of Richards for how hard he played the game. But that style tends to take a toll. Look at Callahan now. Can hardly stay healthy. The off ice issues really hurt Richards. What a shame.

That was a much better trade for the Flyers. Simmonds is a beast. And Schenn should be their captain over the overrated Giroux.
You're aware the Kings won two Cups, right?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:48 PM
Raccoon Jesus
\_(ツ)_/

It's crazy because he was arguably our best player at forward as recently as the 2013 playoffs. Not sure if it's THE moment, but the moment he got his bell rung by Bolland in WCSF Game 1, he deteriorated quickly. Mind was writing checks his body could no longer cash, but after that hit, even his mind was behind the play a lot. Still had some HUGE moments and flashes of brilliance but awfully inconsistent from game to game.

"What the ****, guys? It was a metaphor." --Dean Lombardi, 2015.
Raccoon Jesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:55 PM
beetee15
Long Island Bullies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
You're aware the Kings won two Cups, right?
with players like Kopitar, DD, Quick playing out of this world, Brown not being as terrible as he is. The flyers weren't going to win a cup with Richards. The trade was great for Philly

beetee15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:55 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

vCash: 622
As discussed he had a lot of physical problems because of his playing style.

However, I also think it is worth pointing out Lombardi really put himself on the line with Richards saying he would make it right. He didn't buy him out he got Mike Richards word and what happened later is that much worse in terms of his end in LA. I was surprised he got to play with the Caps after that. I would think there were several GMs that watched how that played out and would have crossed their name off the interested in him because of that as well.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2017, 11:58 PM
pm88

vCash: 250
I used to love Mike Richards, I thought he was a beast when he was with Philly. I believe he was one of the most feared penalty killers in the game because of his ability to get SH goals. It's a shame, he was a lot of fun to watch before he got derailed on and off the ice. Atleast he won 2 cups so he can always fall back on that

pm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 12:21 AM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Actually the real answer is he had a bad concussion at the hands of Hawks' Dave Bolland in 2013 and was never the same again.

And this was after he already had a concussion the season before too.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 12:23 AM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

Richards is Cannon?

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 12:37 AM
mymerlincat

Stopped being Cannon.

mymerlincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 12:39 AM
rt
CoolWhiskyHotGravy

Got his bell rung too many times, and liked to blow off steam too much.

04-20-2017, 12:45 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

It's one of the biggest and quickest dropoffs I have ever seen, maybe the biggest.

Was a solid contributor for Team Canada at the 2010 Olympics at age 25 and by the end of calendar year 2013 he just wasn't an NHL caliber player anymore at age 28. Usually guys go through a 3-4 year period where they start to slow down (may be seeing it with Toews), there was no such period with Richards, the defensive shortcomings started to creep in a bit in the 2013 season, but no one could have seen his game collapsing like it did. And it wasn't just the offense, this guy went from a former Selke finalist to being one of the worst defensive centers I have ever seen for the Kings, him being beat to the by Michal Handzus in OT of Game 5 of the 2014 WCF's was the moment where I knew it was over for good.

All the points have been discussed, physical toll on the body, concussions etc. And the long discussed substance problems were basically confirmed by Lombardi after they terminated his contract.

His playing style and lifestyle off the ice just caught up to him.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 01:22 AM
SnowblindNYR

Man, I hope he at least has his life in order if he had serious substance abuse problems.

Old
04-20-2017, 01:29 AM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I'm watching a recap of the 2003 draft and they mentioned him. He was a damn good player for a while, a PPG player for a few years too. I'm not even sure if he's in the league anymore, he has completely fallen off a cliff the last few seasons regardless. It's not like he's 40. Was it injuries? Was he too slow for the game today?
Richards is waterpistol!!!

Eisen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 01:42 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Man, I hope he at least has his life in order if he had serious substance abuse problems.
I think Richards is probably content with fishing and enjoying his time at his cottage. And crap I don't blame him, as an avid fisherman myself I'd do the same thing.

His NHL career is done but he probably could have played a few years in Switzerland or Germany if he wanted, but why bother. Way worse things than being retired at 32 with millions in the bank.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 01:47 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Even with his career over in his early 30s, his list of accomplishments is rather astonishing.

OHL Champion
Memorial Cup Champion
World Junior Gold Medal
Calder Cup Champion
Olympic Gold Medal
2X Stanley Cup Champion

Say what you want about his last few seasons, but the guy really did give it his all until his body failed him. The injuries took a toll on him, but you can never question his heart and his will. He led by example, and his career accomplishments show that.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 02:03 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Even with his career over in his early 30s, his list of accomplishments is rather astonishing.

OHL Champion
Memorial Cup Champion
World Junior Gold Medal
Calder Cup Champion
Olympic Gold Medal
2X Stanley Cup Champion

Say what you want about his last few seasons, but the guy really did give it his all until his body failed him. The injuries took a toll on him, but you can never question his heart and his will. He led by example, and his career accomplishments show that.
Yep. Other than a World Cup and a World Championship, he's won every single thing possible to win. Very few players can say the same - especially when you're Canadian and there's almost as many arguments about who doesn't make the national team as who does make it.

04-20-2017, 03:04 AM
SchwenningerWildWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetee15 View Post
with players like Kopitar, DD, Quick playing out of this world, Brown not being as terrible as he is. The flyers weren't going to win a cup with Richards. The trade was great for Philly
Doesn't change the fact that LA has two cups WITH Richards and Philly has zero with him and without. I would say deal was good for both but LA has the hardware

SchwenningerWildWing is offline   Reply With Quote