HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What happened to Mike Richards?

Old
04-20-2017, 12:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Oh God What's This

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart View Post
I was also a huge fan of Richards for how hard he played the game. But that style tends to take a toll. Look at Callahan now. Can hardly stay healthy. The off ice issues really hurt Richards. What a shame.

That was a much better trade for the Flyers. Simmonds is a beast. And Schenn should be their captain over the overrated Giroux.
This is one of the worst ideas I've ever seen posted around here.

04-20-2017, 12:26 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

The Kings would not have two Cups without Richards. He played like few others I've seen, and left it all out on the ice until he had nothing left to give. Sometimes those brain injuries have a lasting impact, and if he did have a drug problem, it started because he was in pain either emotionally (depression) or physically. I thank him, and wish him all the best and I'll always wear my Richards jersey proudly.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 12:28 PM
possesthepuck

He's an awesome dude, he'll go for a drink with you if you see him downtown. I think his game style requires more effort than a lot of others so that impacted his willingness to train. Still though got to love the guy.

possesthepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Striiker
Weal's #1 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart View Post
I was also a huge fan of Richards for how hard he played the game. But that style tends to take a toll. Look at Callahan now. Can hardly stay healthy. The off ice issues really hurt Richards. What a shame.

That was a much better trade for the Flyers. Simmonds is a beast. And Schenn should be their captain over the overrated Giroux.

Striiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menzinger View Post
Most players take a pretty steep physical decline once they get north of 29.

What happened to Richards isn't abnormal in the slightest
Really?

Love to know more examples as drastic as this one.

If there had been a best vs best tourney in 2012 MR would have made Team Canada, by 2014 he was no longer an NHL caliber player.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 02:53 PM
Lazlo Hollyfeld
Tanking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafidelity View Post
Are you actually going to stand here and tell me the LA lifestyle doesn't sometimes go to the heads of the rich and famous?

Bury your head back in the sand.
LA Lifestyle?

I'm curious to know exactly what you think that LA Lifestyle is.

These guys are on the road 8 months a year. Whatever lifestyle "issues" players may have, they're happening in cities and hotel rooms across two countries, not just LA.

Lazlo Hollyfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 03:27 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
This is one of the worst ideas I've ever seen posted around here.
I've actually never seen someone suggest Schenn be made captain before.

Ever.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 03:44 PM
biturbo19

He really fell off hard. Probably in part due to the off ice stuff, but just on the ice...smaller player, rough physical game takes its toll. Was also playing with some really sneaky good players when he piled up the points in his "prime". Biggest thing is that his skating never really had a gear to lose with his style of play.

In any case, i'm excited for him to Captain Canada's Olympic team for South Korea.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 04:44 PM
JaegerDice
Q Gonna Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menzinger View Post
Most players take a pretty steep physical decline once they get north of 29.

What happened to Richards isn't abnormal in the slightest
The decline typically starts at 26 for forwards and is fairly gradual for a few years. 30 is typically where the cliff starts, but it's not a straight line. Richards was already rapidly falling off before 30. Frankly, some of the analytics point to the fact that despite being very valuable in 2012, he was already in fairly steep decline that season.

https://hockey-graphs.com/2017/03/23...katers-part-1/

JaegerDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:04 PM
Guuar*

Nobody want's to discuss it but the fact is he was caught with Oxycodone at the border without a prescription. You can be guaranteed he was given a prescription for it when he was younger. NHL players get hurt all the time.

They are not superman. It's quite reasonable to assume doctors and trainers would push narcotics on these players so they aren't missing time in the playoffs and other key parts of the season.

Quite personally the guy is a wimp and should be ashamed for not having the balls to stop taking the pills. I've been on high dosage of Oxycodone for 3 years now while waiting for surgery. I've also stopped using them 3 times to ensure I don't build up a tolerance or manage to get addicted to them. Heck, proper pain doctors even require patients to come off them at least once per year.

Nobody but Richards knows what was going through his head. The pain pills ruined his career though. I would still blame this on a doctor or trainer giving him the initial access when he likely didn't need them. I would view this as the league failing the player.

Guuar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:06 PM
Voight
#winning

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoFlyers1825 View Post
The two firsts round defeats have nothing to do with Schenn and Simmonds. The Flyers haven't had the fortune of having a Conn Smythe worthy goaltending performance and an elite #1 defenseman on their roster.

No one is denying Richards' impact with the Kings before he fell off the cliff, but to argue team accomplishments requires considering players that have nothing to do with the trade. (Unless you want to argue that Richards singlehandedley carried the Kings to two cups and that Schenn and Simmonds have jointly ruined any chances of Flyers success)
Majority of Kings fans say without him, they don't beat VAN in 2012 and IMO if they don't win the cup in 2012, they don't win in '14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Kessel is in good shape. I doubt he spent every offseason partying. Play style is a crutch for Richards fanboys.
He doesn't work out, and his diet is questionable. But he doesn't play a physical game, and that helps the body keep intact overtime.

Voight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:07 PM
possesthepuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguuar View Post
me.

Nobody but Richards knows what was going through his head. The pain pills ruined his career though. I would still blame this on a doctor or trainer giving him the initial access when he likely didn't need them. I would view this as the league failing the player.
Unless you mean getting him out of the NHL then yeah, but if you mean it is the reason for his decline then you are talking out your ***

Old
04-20-2017, 05:26 PM
johnnybbadd

Richards was a monster in the Philly finals run and he was the answer to Vancouver's top line in the Kings 1st cup year. I remember him being an elite passer of the puck with great vision in his prime and I figured that he would at least provide value later in his career because vision can't be taught. Boy was I ever wrong.

johnnybbadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:53 PM
cheap77
Go Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetee15 View Post
with players like Kopitar, DD, Quick playing out of this world, Brown not being as terrible as he is. The flyers weren't going to win a cup with Richards. The trade was great for Philly
It's completely possible for two teams to win a trade. Philly got good players, and Kings got Richards and ended up winning two cups with him. Win-win is how good trades work.

cheap77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsHockey24 View Post
His body worn down rather quickly from the style he played; not to mention he got really slow and couldn't keep up with the games pace. Bummer because he was one of my favorite players; even before being traded to LA. I wish Sutter gave him more PP time instead of Stoll, etc.
Stoll was on the PP?

I guess he did score 20 a couple times. Can hardly believe it.

EDIT: HE HAD 68 POINTS ONE YEAR?!?!?!?!?! Nevermind I guess. Haha

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 07:57 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 330
Richards' body couldn't keep up with his play.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 08:31 PM
Guuar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by possesthepuck View Post
Unless you mean getting him out of the NHL then yeah, but if you mean it is the reason for his decline then you are talking out your ***
No I'm not. The pills are what caused his decline.

Reasoning...

I've been on a dose of Oxycodone anywhere from 80-120mg per day for the past 4 years. The dose I am on is an average dose.

When you initially are started on pain medication such as Oxycodone the first 4-6 months it makes you feel a lot better.

After those 4-6 months if you are taking it without having a medical reason for the drug you end up taking it only for maintenance.

Put it this way. He wouldn't have been capable of going 6-8 hours without taking more. He had no prescription for it so it's reasonable to believe he would run out of a supply especially when travelling.

When you aren't able to take a dose and your body is dependent upon it your physical functionality and psychological functionality is severely impaired.

So yes if Richards was taking the medication for any lengthy period of time it would absolutely screw with his game. There is no chance any professional athlete could maintain their level of play.

I can tell you with absolute certainty Oxycodone Withdrawal is the one thing every single recreational Oxycodone user is deathly terrified of. It's seriously no joke. It can cause you to vomit uncontrollably, have uncontrollable bowel movements, convulsions, seizures and on top of that pain so severe you'd wish you were dead.

Guuar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 08:49 PM
possesthepuck

Quote:
No I'm not. The pills are what caused his decline.

I can tell you with absolute certainty Oxycodone Withdrawal is the one thing every single recreational Oxycodone user is deathly terrified of. It's seriously no joke. It can cause you to vomit uncontrollably, have uncontrollable bowel movements, convulsions, seizures and on top of that pain so severe you'd wish you were dead.
Don't ruin a players legacy with **** like this. Unless you were there you cant say anything. Speculate all you want but you have no idea what really happened to the guy.

Old
04-20-2017, 09:01 PM
TeeTee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Thanks guys. Interesting, I didn't realize he had off ice issues.
You have 25,000 posts and did not realize his off ice issues?

TeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:03 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeTee View Post
You have 25,000 posts and did not realize his off ice issues?
Sometimes people have take breaks because life gets in the way.

Old
04-20-2017, 09:36 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by possesthepuck View Post
Don't ruin a players legacy with **** like this. Unless you were there you cant say anything. Speculate all you want but you have no idea what really happened to the guy.
Exactly. Well said.

Old
04-20-2017, 09:45 PM
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black

F L Y E R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:47 PM
DJN21

He was a tremendous player to watch in his prime. It's a shame for the game that he didn't last...

DJN21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 10:02 PM
Ryan120420

The start of the downfall of Richards:

The final nail:

Was never the same after the Bolland hit.

Ryan120420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 10:14 PM
bjs354

Quote:
Nobody want's to discuss it but the fact is he was caught with Oxycodone at the border without a prescription. You can be guaranteed he was given a prescription for it when he was younger. NHL players get hurt all the time.

They are not superman. It's quite reasonable to assume doctors and trainers would push narcotics on these players so they aren't missing time in the playoffs and other key parts of the season.

Quite personally the guy is a wimp and should be ashamed for not having the balls to stop taking the pills. I've been on high dosage of Oxycodone for 3 years now while waiting for surgery. I've also stopped using them 3 times to ensure I don't build up a tolerance or manage to get addicted to them. Heck, proper pain doctors even require patients to come off them at least once per year.

Umm dude. You don't play in the NHL. It's a little different for him to just stop taking the pills and keep playing like $5 million.

bjs354 is offline   Reply With Quote