HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

PO Game 5: Columbus at Pittsburgh | 4/20 7PM

Old
04-20-2017, 10:36 PM
OnYourIgnoreList

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I won't compare the two coaches, but Babcock is a HoF coach (as much as he turns me off). They both have done an outstanding job.

Honestly though I would have made a push for Tortz when he became available.
Agree - Babcock did a great job this year. But personally, I think Torts got more out of less or about-the-same, in terms of roster-wide talent level.

I sort of wanted Trotz too.

OnYourIgnoreList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 10:37 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky View Post
For sure. I'd much rather have Korpi starting in goal than Forsberg.
Yeah, it's one of the reasons that we paid so much money to Bob in the first place. We have no depth and were dealing out a position of weakness.

A good team with options wouldn't have given Bob that contract.

The one contract that always has me scratching my head is Foligno. Love the guy, but wow... We have another 4 years with that NMC. We should have been able to expose him and should have considered it.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 10:47 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnYourIgnoreList View Post
Agree - Babcock did a great job this year. But personally, I think Torts got more out of less or about-the-same, in terms of roster-wide talent level.
I tend to think that we underestimate the talent on this team. I will say that their young kids really produced. I'd say we have the edge on defense and they have the advantage with their young forwards at this point. They also have a lot of top 10 pick forwards that are all breaking out at the same time. I think a guy like OB is going to break out, he's just more a project.

They have nothing like a Jones/Werenski pairing. We have nothing like Matthews.

Old
04-20-2017, 10:56 PM
EM71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedrich View Post
I hear Fleury might be available. haha.
True Story.

EM71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 11:01 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM71 View Post
True Story.
I know we laugh and joke about this stuff, but the Pens agree to take Hartnell and I'm listening.

Old
04-20-2017, 11:46 PM
cbj21

A little less bad luck and some steady goaltending would have been enough. Off to next season boys!

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 11:46 PM
CharlotteJacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I love Forsberg, but the times he played for the big club this season he looked scared to be in net.
Just curious, if he can't play with the big boys, then what is your love based on?

CharlotteJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 05:44 AM
Cash for Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJWennberg10 View Post
Uh. Who in their right mind would trade a #1 C for a goalie?
Dallas?

Cash for Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 06:57 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
The officials had a tough series. That goaltender interference call was poor and gave the Pens the opportunity they needed to finish us off.

As far as Bob, don't be unhappy. He's the player that he is. You have to take the good with the bad. I was really hoping that he was beyond the "spiraling out of control" portion of his career.

I'm not unhappy just a little disappointed that he couldn't prove me wrong.
Pretty fair assessment of Bob. Ebbs and flows. On one hand he carried the team to a regular season mark that we might not ever see again...on the other, he was mediocre goalie Bob in the playoffs.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:06 AM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Pretty fair assessment of Bob. Ebbs and flows. On one hand he carried the team to a regular season mark that we might not ever see again...on the other, he was mediocre goalie Bob in the playoffs.
Have said it elsewhere but will say it again here - if there's a way for Bob to improve his game in the playoffs, he'll find it. The guy obsesses over this stuff and there's no way this series is going to sit well with him.

Dunno if there actually is any way for him to get around it, but if there is one, I'm confident he'll find it.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:34 AM
DarkandStormy

Bob had to have been hurt, right?

DarkandStormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:44 AM
CPTN71
NO SPIN

vCash: 103
Quote:
Yeah, it's one of the reasons that we paid so much money to Bob in the first place. We have no depth and were dealing out a position of weakness.

A good team with options wouldn't have given Bob that contract.

The one contract that always has me scratching my head is Foligno. Love the guy, but wow... We have another 4 years with that NMC. We should have been able to expose him and should have considered it.
Really? Now we're back to the Foligno BS? He had a bounce back season.

You want to be worried about a contract? Look no further than #72, who now can be considered a playoff choker.

CPTN71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:09 AM
JKinCLE
killing time @ work

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandStormy View Post
Bob had to have been hurt, right?
No. He loses his confidence that easily. He's gone on record saying he had "0 confidence" during the 8 game skid last year. I love Bob, but am beyond disappointed.

Torts wasn't going to call him out in the press, but reading between the lines I think he knows his team played well enough to at least make this series a whole lot closer if not win it, but Bob let his team down. He said twice "This was not a 4-1 series", and wouldn't say anymore about it.

Bob giveth the playoffs, and Bob taketh away playoffs. He has one more chance with this team and if he chokes it away again, I think he could be dealt the following season since he will only have one year left on his monster contract. Hopefully we have a goalie ready, not sold on Korpi either.

JKinCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:19 AM
Double-Shift Lasse
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKinCLE View Post
Torts wasn't going to call him out in the press, but reading between the lines I think he knows his team played well enough to at least make this series a whole lot closer if not win it, but Bob let his team down. He said twice "This was not a 4-1 series", and wouldn't say anymore about it.
Agree. He knows just as (better than, obviously) what so many have been saying, that Bob played a significant role in the team's success but that his play in the series was not good. But it doesn't do him or anyone any good to point that out in a presser.

Old
04-21-2017, 10:32 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

The thing is, everyone will remember Bob's play-off collapse, and few will remember his regular season brilliance.

Sadly, he did that to himself.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:25 PM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
The thing is, everyone will remember Bob's play-off collapse, and few will remember his regular season brilliance.

He can use the same rag he uses to polish his Vezina trophies to mop up our tears.

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:48 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post

This would be why I think he'll want to focus on that in particular and find a way to fix it. It's the sort of person he's been. I wish him luck.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:56 PM
Cyclones Rock

The difference between the regular season Bob and the playoff Bob is striking.

Regular season save % since he's been a pro: 92.0%. Ranks T7 out of 34 goalies who played 10,000 minutes between 2010-2017.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggr...&sort=savePctg

Playoff save % over same period: 88.7%. 26 out of 27 who have played 800 or more minutes. Exceeded in incompetence by only Ilya Bryzgalov. Maybe it's a Russian thing. j/k.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?aggr...&sort=savePctg

This roughly equates to him allowing 1 extra goal per game (roughly one goal per 30 shots).

It's a large sample. It's probably very fair to call him a playoff choke at this time. One more time and there's no room for debate.

I hope he gets a handle on this. It would be a shame if he can't. A probable two time Vezina winner whose playoff perfomances aren't even of NHL caliber isn't a very nice burden to have to bear. Next regular season is almost irrelevant for him. It's now gotten to the point where even his most stellar regular season play will be casually dismissed by the cynics. You guys, not me

Last edited by Cyclones Rock: 04-21-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:28 PM
DarkandStormy

xGA was 20 for the series -> Bob allowed 20. xGF was nearly 17 - the offense scored 13. That means the Pens got A LOT of quality looks (the most "high danger" chances BY FAR of any playoff team) and capitalized. Regular season Bob probably holds the Pens to 13-14ish goals.

The offense was a no-show on the road -> 4 goals in 3 road games. Was that Fleury playing out of his mind? Maybe in Game 5, but we didn't have a ton of great chances in Games 1-2, just a lot of shots from the half-wall and point that didn't have a prayer of going in.

Based on all that, CBJ probably should have won last night, and lost the only 50/50 game -> Game 3, and even then the Pens got more high danger looks. Other than that, the Jackets won the game they should have (Game 4) and lost the two where they didn't get quality looks (Games 1 and 2).

Want to blame Bob? Fine. Maybe Game 3 is on him. But the offense disappeared in Pittsburgh and the Pens were able to find ways to generate a bunch of shots from in tight.

DarkandStormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:40 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandStormy View Post
xGA was 20 for the series -> Bob allowed 20. xGF was nearly 17 - the offense scored 13. That means the Pens got A LOT of quality looks (the most "high danger" chances BY FAR of any playoff team) and capitalized. Regular season Bob probably holds the Pens to 13-14ish goals.

The offense was a no-show on the road -> 4 goals in 3 road games. Was that Fleury playing out of his mind? Maybe in Game 5, but we didn't have a ton of great chances in Games 1-2, just a lot of shots from the half-wall and point that didn't have a prayer of going in.

Based on all that, CBJ probably should have won last night, and lost the only 50/50 game -> Game 3, and even then the Pens got more high danger looks. Other than that, the Jackets won the game they should have (Game 4) and lost the two where they didn't get quality looks (Games 1 and 2).

Want to blame Bob? Fine. Maybe Game 3 is on him. But the offense disappeared in Pittsburgh and the Pens were able to find ways to generate a bunch of shots from in tight.
My post notwithstanding, Bob was only part of the issue. Fleury was Bob's equal for 2 of the games and the offense didn't get the job done.

This series was a lost cause unless Bob had stood on his head. An average regular season Bob would not have been enough. The Pens are/were the much better team.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:46 PM
CBJWennberg10
It's Playoff Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash for Nash View Post
Dallas?
Do you actually think they'd trade Jamie Benn or Tyler Seguin for Bobrovsky?

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 03:24 PM
cslebn

Quote:
Spezza in lieu of Benn. I think they might.

cslebn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 03:24 PM
Cash for Nash

Quote:
Probably not. Especially now lol

Cash for Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 04:11 PM
EspenK

Quote:
I doubt it but you never know. Dallas ain't going to win anything with crappy goaltending. If they think Bob can overcome his playoff blues why wouldn't they?

Are they a better team with Bob & one of the two you mentioned or with Lehtonen & both? I think you have to look at it that way versus the individual players.

Add one of those two & sign Scott Darling as a UFA and we're a hell of a better team imo.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 04:58 PM
cslebn

any trade with Dallas likely involves them moving a goalie. They need to unload one of Niemi (4.5M) or Lehtonen (5.9M) before they can add someone. Both have another year of contract.

Mind you, Spezza has a hit of 7.5M, Sequin 5.75M and Benn is at 9.5M

cslebn is offline   Reply With Quote