HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off season news & stuff

Old
04-25-2017, 09:48 PM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
I believe that was Nill. Holland was the one that listened to Hakan on Datsyuk and told him to keep him on his list and went with him when Hakan brought him up on draft day.

Hakan usually watches a guy three times, Datsyuk he only saw twice, but on description with Holland to argue why he wanted to keep him in mind and on their good player list Holland likes what he heard and said keep him on the list.
You're right, it was Nill.

It's funny that the inability to deice the plane is what likely kept Datsyuk a secret until draft day.

04-25-2017, 09:49 PM
Frk It
Crap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Isn't Holland the one Hakan credits for actually zeroing in on Z? I think Hakan was there to watch someone else and Holland ended up watching Z and pointed Hakan at him. Might be thinking of someone else, though.

Holland's scouting ability is supposed to be very good, though.
I don't believe so, but Hakan has said he's a remarkable scout in his own right, and I don't think it's just lip service.

There's an old article out there that has some comments on this, I'll look for it.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 09:56 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

vCash: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
I don't believe so, but Hakan has said he's a remarkable scout in his own right, and I don't think it's just lip service.
All those personnel guys say that and I don't think it is just to say nice things about their boss. Another thing they say is he is good at communicating what he is looking for, what guys do well, the kind of player we are looking for or this is athletically what it will mean kind of stuff.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 10:17 PM
Frk It
Crap Space

This is what I was thinking of:

Quote:
Hakan: “Working under Kenny is very good for a number of reasons. He is a former scout (probably the best one I have met, by the way), so he understands where we are coming from with regards to keeping draft picks, projecting a player’s potential, etc.”
Quote:
Most of the things I know about scouting I have learned from Kenny [Holland], who was the chief scout during my first years and then became Assistant GM
http://prohockeynews.com/welcome-to-...98785400390625

Old
04-25-2017, 10:29 PM
Reddwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
So I wonder then whose advice he's banking on when he makes a multi-year offer to guys like Robidas and Jovo, scoffs at signing Stralman, keeps Smith and Kindl around for so long, projects Ericsson as a long-term top 3, picks up Commodore, etc.

Reddwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 11:39 PM
Oddbob

Kenny Holland listens to what the Illitch's want, not everything he wants gets to happen I am sure. Like a rebuild not necessarily happening, that is very likely coming from the Illitch family who want playoff hockey.

Oddbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 10:53 AM
detroit86
Winging it

http://www.mlive.com/griffins/index....rt_river_index

detroit86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 01:16 PM
ChadS

Maybe we have chance at Ejdsell... I would expect a decision this week.
Attached Images
File Type: png ejdsell.PNG‎ (201.2 KB, 32 views)

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 02:03 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Maybe we have chance at Ejdsell... I would expect a decision this week.
He said he was going make his decision today, Before he left North America.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 03:22 PM
odin1981
There can be only 1!

vCash: 475
Whether people like it or not you do understand top 4 d make 5+ per year now correct? Hate DDK all you want to but he is proven as a second pairing d-man. He isn't overpaid. He makes what everyone not on a rfa deal makes for salary.

Now if you are upset that he is in over his head on the top pairing well then you gotta critique the manager responsible for putting him in that position with jack **** for help.
Know people will get upset over what I'm gonna say next.

Mike Green is ****ing overrated. **** the offense he brings. He can't play d either so who gives a **** about 40 points with no context? I see now after two years why the caps put him on the third pairing to hide him.

Granted this is all for naught because anyone with the potential to be better than either won't be ready next year or more than likely in the next 2-3 years.

odin1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 04:02 PM
Flowah

Quote:
Originally Posted by odin1981 View Post
Whether people like it or not you do understand top 4 d make 5+ per year now correct? Hate DDK all you want to but he is proven as a second pairing d-man. He isn't overpaid. He makes what everyone not on a rfa deal makes for salary.
Keep paying everyone what they're worth and you'll have a cap team that finishes bottom 5.

Oh wait.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 04:18 PM
njx9

Quote:
Mike Green is ****ing overrated. **** the offense he brings. He can't play d either so who gives a **** about 40 points with no context? I see now after two years why the caps put him on the third pairing to hide him.
Did you watch him play this year? I only ask because that's precisely the opposite of basically every opinion I've heard about his play this year, including my own. That said, if he sucks, I can only imagine your opinion of the rest of the D on the team.

njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 04:57 PM
Frk It
Crap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
Did you watch him play this year? I only ask because that's precisely the opposite of basically every opinion I've heard about his play this year, including my own. That said, if he sucks, I can only imagine your opinion of the rest of the D on the team.
He was 10x better than DeKeyeser defensively last year.

Old
04-26-2017, 06:15 PM
France Nielsen
sacre bleu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
He said he was going make his decision today, Before he left North America.
It's tough. I imagine he wants to sign with Detroit, but there's just so much up in the air. If I were in his place, I would think pretty hard about Nashville and Chicago. Nashville is a good team with depth all around, but nobody crazy good who's going to get in your way. Chicago has that elite level talent up top, but nobody in terms of depth. And Detroit, uh... is going to have a lot of open roster spots soon enough? It's just not the same sell.

France Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 09:29 PM
Oddbob

How is Danny Dekeyser a proven Top 4? Getting to play in one, doesn't make you one, just means we have no one else.

Never been impressed by him. Since day one, the only positive thing he has is his reach, but what good is that, when he has no physicality at all for a 6'5", 220+ pounder. No offense, no hitting, doesn't stand up for teammates, can't clear the crease of traffic, and makes terrible plays in his own end, including many lame dump out attempts that stay in the Wings zone and cost us goals and chances against.

Green, Smith and Ericsson have all outplayed the guy, the past season or two, despite this insistence that he is something special. Green's offence is badly needed, Smith was solid and stood up for teammates, and Ericsson, is unspectacular, but steady, and also stands up for his teammates, when needed. Dekeyser seems like a legit 5-6 guy at this stage in the game.

In my opinion, Detroit's two worst contracts, are Dekeyser and Abdelkader. Long term, for average players.

Oddbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 06:30 AM
Big Poppa Puck
HF's Villain

DeKeyser was awful this year but in no way have Smith or Ericsson outplayed him.

Save for this year, he's been our best Defenseman post Lidstrom, not that that's saying much.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 07:52 AM
detroit86
Winging it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post
DeKeyser was awful this year but in no way have Smith or Ericsson outplayed him.

Save for this year, he's been our best Defenseman post Lidstrom, not that that's saying much.
That's the big issue

Old
04-27-2017, 08:43 AM
detroit86
Winging it

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nh...ore/100932704/

Old
04-27-2017, 08:52 AM
Konnan511
Play Pals

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJsoldier View Post
Highlights:
Wings need a high end D-Man.
Wings will try and trade one of their goalies.
Wings should try to trade a scrub forward and a good forward.
Water is wet.

Konnan511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 08:52 AM
jkutswings

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJsoldier View Post
1) Tavares coming here is about as likely as Claude Lemieux getting cheered at a Wings game.

2) I'd love it if this is the summer that Detroit FINALLY trades for a guy like Fowler... But I'll believe it when I see it.

3) While moves like unloading a goalie and getting Vegas to take either Abdelkader or Helm make sense to me, I'd be surprised if they fit into the current approach of, "Must. Return. To. Playoffs."

We'll see...

jkutswings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 09:01 AM
Frk It
Crap Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkutswings View Post
1) Tavares coming here is about as likely as Claude Lemieux getting cheered at a Wings game.

2) I'd love it if this is the summer that Detroit FINALLY trades for a guy like Fowler... But I'll believe it when I see it.

3) While moves like unloading a goalie and getting Vegas to take either Abdelkader or Helm make sense to me, I'd be surprised if they fit into the current approach of, "Must. Return. To. Playoffs."

We'll see...
I want one of those guys: Fowler, Theodore, Montour... I like each of them a lot.

Old
04-27-2017, 11:13 AM
chances14

bob duff seems to think holland and blashill are both on a short leash. sure hope that's true

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=84802

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 11:26 AM
TKB

vCash: 521
Quote:

Now if you are upset that he is in over his head on the top pairing well then you gotta critique the manager responsible for putting him in that position with jack **** for help.
Know people will get upset over what I'm gonna say next.

Granted this is all for naught because anyone with the potential to be better than either won't be ready next year or more than likely in the next 2-3 years.
I couldn't agree more - on both points (players).

TKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 11:47 AM
jkutswings

Quote:
Originally Posted by chances14 View Post
bob duff seems to think holland and blashill are both on a short leash. sure hope that's true

Oh dear. That piece makes it sound as if Holland is writing off the vast majority of this year to having a terrible power play for half the season.

As if a new assistant coach for the man advantage suddenly makes this roster into a contender. Oh wait. I mean, makes this roster competitive.

Sure, Kenny. Having no 1D, no replacement for your grizzled 1C, and a lousy cap situation on a bottom-10 team will all magically disappear, if the power play can just get a full year of decent results.

Methinks next season will provide additional repetitions of the head/wall interface...Especially if bright ideas like keeping Sheahan on the PP continue.

EDIT: Based on the start date Holland referenced of February 18, for when the power play started clicking, the Wings earned a total of 25 points during those remaining 25 games of the season. So if things had gone that well for the entire year, they would have improved...a whopping 3 points in the standings, sliding them behind Dallas and Florida in the draft order, and still missing the playoffs by 13 points.

Yikes... Hopefully it's only one more year of the delusions.

Last edited by jkutswings: 04-27-2017 at 12:06 PM.
jkutswings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 07:40 PM
Wingsfan 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chances14 View Post

I think Blashill is on a shorter leash. Holland still has alot of slack in his.

Wingsfan 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote