HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Sabres GM Tim Murray and Head Coach Dan Bylsma have been relieved of their duties

Old
04-21-2017, 07:58 AM
WJZ3
SAVEMONEY

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerica View Post
He'd give a scouting report on the player most likely lmao
With the 6th overall pick, the Buffalo Sabres select Cale Makar, the kid is an an outstanding player, elite skater, elite playmaker, I see shades of Erik Karlsson in his game. He comes from the Brooks Bandits of the Alberta Junior Hockey League which is a bit of a lesser-known league, but has produced talented blueliners such as Colton Parayko in the past. He will be heading down to Amherst, Massachusetts this fall to play for former Senators assistant, Greg Carvel, who will be doing great things for the young UMass Minutemen squad. Do you know who else played hockey at UMass? 2016 Stanley Cup champion Conor Sheary and 2012 Conn Smythe winner and 2-time Stanley Cup champion Jonathan Quick. Let's not forget about another young, former Minutemen blueliner who has been very impressive for the Anaheim Ducks, Brandon Montour.

WJZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:05 AM
threeVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post
Lehner is a choker. Nilsson was better.
simply not true and base of zero fact

threeVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:17 AM
SenzZen
I Ain't Even Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasek View Post
LOL @ the simpsons gif. Murray's face blends so well with Homer? body.
It's Barney Gumble...

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:23 AM
FlameChampion

vCash: 587
Seems like there are some rumors that owners want TM to fire DB, and TM refused so they ended up firing TM as well.

Hard to say if thats true but generally where theres smoke, theres fire.

Seemed like there was a lot of dislike for DB in the dressing room based on some of the comments we have heard. I think moving on from DB was the right move.

TM must of knew that DB was going to get fired. So its a curious move why TM fell on his sword and went down with the ship. Is it because he is loyal to the coach he hired? Or perhaps he just didnt like what was going on in Buffalo with the ownership/upper management and/or players and thought it was best to get out now?

Really find the firing of TM to be a bit weird. I thought he had done a pretty good job wise as far as drafting and trades go. /shrug

FlameChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:35 AM
tsujimoto74

Based on the Pegula press conference, it sounds like he had 3 big hang-ups with both guys: discipline, character, structure. Need those things to build a winning culture. Also didn't like the lack of communication within the org. Again, shot down the rumor that Eichel had anything to do with this.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:44 AM
TalkingProuder

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Based on the Pegula press conference, it sounds like he had 3 big hang-ups with both guys: discipline, character, structure. Need those things to build a winning culture. Also didn't like the lack of communication within the org. Again, shot down the rumor that Eichel had anything to do with this.
I thought Pegula was just speaking in cliches. He sounded like the boring Bills coach he just hired.

Sean McDermott buzz words bingo.

Culture

Process

Earn the Right to Win

It's obvious our owner doesn't know what he is doing. Sabres need luck to get a good GM.

TalkingProuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 11:15 AM
Flair Hay

vCash: 50
Optics look bad but it is the right move. They are ripping the band aid off that is Bylsma being the consolation prize after losing out on Babcock.

Murray is nothing special from what I see. Tanked hard, got a superstar.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 11:59 AM
Not Sure

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthinater View Post
Cool thanks not sure. I could definitely see media spinning that one for views and a reaction. Still I'm going to try and find a link so I can see what he said word for word.

What about the the whole " jack won't resign if the coach is still there" rumor?
as the other poster said he started backtracking, mainly on the "Eichel will not sign" part. He stuck to there being a problem but said he never meant Eichel would never sign, just that he didnt want to talk extension before he finds out what's happening this season. He's still got one year on his ELC and is an RFA afterwards. Hamilton has been disgruntled this entire season and has been pushing some narrative about veteran leadership and kids not respecting their elders, which could be a story if true, but the only examples he brings to the discussion is some light lockerroom ribbing between the kids and vets.

You can listen to Wed Scoop and Bulldog show to hear Hamilton backtrack, it should be on WGR550 website, you can also check TSN Toronto for an interview with Marty Biron where he talks about the "source" of the Hamilton story as being Eichel himself. Problem is he extrapolated something Eichel said a month ago during the losing streak that knocked them out of the playoffs. Apparently he was venting in a private lockerroom setting which Hamilton overheard and kept locked away to use the day of Murray's interview with Pegula. In fact Hamilton seems to be involved in every one of these questionable sourced articles. He takes what he hears and fills in the blanks with what sells stories.

Not Sure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:52 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
as the other poster said he started backtracking, mainly on the "Eichel will not sign" part. He stuck to there being a problem but said he never meant Eichel would never sign, just that he didnt want to talk extension before he finds out what's happening this season. He's still got one year on his ELC and is an RFA afterwards. Hamilton has been disgruntled this entire season and has been pushing some narrative about veteran leadership and kids not respecting their elders, which could be a story if true, but the only examples he brings to the discussion is some light lockerroom ribbing between the kids and vets.

You can listen to Wed Scoop and Bulldog show to hear Hamilton backtrack, it should be on WGR550 website, you can also check TSN Toronto for an interview with Marty Biron where he talks about the "source" of the Hamilton story as being Eichel himself. Problem is he extrapolated something Eichel said a month ago during the losing streak that knocked them out of the playoffs. Apparently he was venting in a private lockerroom setting which Hamilton overheard and kept locked away to use the day of Murray's interview with Pegula. In fact Hamilton seems to be involved in every one of these questionable sourced articles. He takes what he hears and fills in the blanks with what sells stories.
People need to understand Hamilton is a hack. It sounded like conjecture from the start because that is how he is. There is a reason the 'bombshell' was the last line of a story about Pegulas meeting with Murray rather than its own headline. He is a radio station reporter with minimal journalistic standard. It is too bad those who took his words at face value are unlikely to ever see the rest of the story that has come out, meaning they will continue believing Eichel made some hard demand that Bylsma be fired or he'd somehow walk.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:05 PM
alpine4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
Hope I never see Murray's stupid face again. That face....just so annoying.
I hope he takes Holland's spot in DET

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:22 PM
Not Sure

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxon View Post
People need to understand Hamilton is a hack. It sounded like conjecture from the start because that is how he is. There is a reason the 'bombshell' was the last line of a story about Pegulas meeting with Murray rather than its own headline. He is a radio station reporter with minimal journalistic standard. It is too bad those who took his words at face value are unlikely to ever see the rest of the story that has come out, meaning they will continue believing Eichel made some hard demand that Bylsma be fired or he'd somehow walk.
Exactly. Hamilton is the "get off my lawn" guy, stuck in some time loop where he thinks Gorges trying really hard is worth killing Risto by making them play together. He has some weird obsession with how things are done in Montreal and just hates that the league has become a meritocracy over the traditional seniority system. He has no idea about journalistic integrity and sells gossip he overhears being embedded with the team on the road. Any reporter worth their salt knows things you hear in private locker room time is off the record, he just holds the story till he can effectively blame it on his "sources".

Not Sure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 03:53 PM
Daisy Jane
trust the vision

someone attacked the Buffalo Sabres wikipage -

saying they are owned, coached, GM'ed etc by Jack Eichel.

Daisy Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 04:21 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Jane View Post
someone attacked the Buffalo Sabres wikipage -

saying they are owned, coached, GM'ed etc by Jack Eichel.
So it's not true? .... I was going to ask if Eichel is the first to hold all jobs simultaneously?

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 05:08 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Unsustainable

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameChampion View Post
Seems like there are some rumors that owners want TM to fire DB, and TM refused so they ended up firing TM as well.

Hard to say if thats true but generally where theres smoke, theres fire.

Seemed like there was a lot of dislike for DB in the dressing room based on some of the comments we have heard. I think moving on from DB was the right move.

TM must of knew that DB was going to get fired. So its a curious move why TM fell on his sword and went down with the ship. Is it because he is loyal to the coach he hired? Or perhaps he just didnt like what was going on in Buffalo with the ownership/upper management and/or players and thought it was best to get out now?

Really find the firing of TM to be a bit weird. I thought he had done a pretty good job wise as far as drafting and trades go. /shrug
Tim Murray should have done a bit of research and saved himself the trouble of falling on his sword for Bylsma. Same thing happened in Pittsburgh. Shero absolutely refused to fire Bylsma, despite playoff failure after playoff failure. Finally ownership just said, "Okay then, you're both gone".

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 05:49 PM
Raspewtin
Fire Clowneault

Garbage coach and garbage GM

Both of them gone at once is v fitting

04-21-2017, 07:41 PM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingProuder View Post
I thought Pegula was just speaking in cliches. He sounded like the boring Bills coach he just hired.

Culture

Process

Earn the Right to Win

It's obvious our owner doesn't know what he is doing. Sabres need luck to get a good GM.
Yeah, because the brash and exciting Rex Ryan was wonderful.

Cripes.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:59 PM
darcyRegier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiPolarBear View Post
I think had Trump bought the Bills it would have been less likely that he made his run for the presidency.

So if the world does end in nuclear armageddon within the next 4 years yes you can blame Terry Pegula indirectly!
What a crazy example of the butterfly effect

darcyRegier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:15 PM
darcyRegier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincerity0 View Post
There are multiple issues with Lehner. One of them being that the system that Bylsma instilled allowed a TON of shots, including in Rochester. I do not want to take away from Lehner because, for the most part, he had a great season.

The poster also mentioned an issue of price. Lehner being a good goalie was never an issue -- it was and always be about what Murray paid for him. Don't forget that Murray took a favor from his Uncle by taking back Lagwand in a cap dump.

I respect Murray and was honestly shocked when I saw he was fired as well. He was very candid with the Buffalo media and fans, especially in a time where organizations can show zero emotion because of consistent criticism. As a fan, he seemed confident in his plan. It simply didn't work out.

I hope that Pegula goes into a little more detail on why Murray was fired.
That 1st was without a doubt going to Colorado if we only gave Ottawa a 2nd.

darcyRegier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:50 PM
Thorton02

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyRegier View Post
That 1st was without a doubt going to Colorado if we only gave Ottawa a 2nd.
This. [mod] Either the ROR trade looks much more even, or we overpaid for Lehner. It was going to be one or the other.

Last edited by spiny norman: 04-22-2017 at 08:56 PM. Reason: not needed
Thorton02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 12:29 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingProuder View Post

Culture

Process

Earn the Right to Win

I watched about half of it and it had to turn it off. He's absolutely clueless. Reminds me of the Aquilini presser when they brought on Linden. It's also pretty clear that he hates LaFontaine. Too bad.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 12:48 PM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

vCash: 740
The Bylsma firing was the right move.

Not sure about the Murray firing. Overall he did a fairly good job (more positives than negatives truth be told); the thing I honestly appreciated most was his unapologetic tanking. He iced one of the worst on-paper teams over the past 30 years and didn't give a single **** about what anyone was saying, his coach included

There are really only a certain amout of major fanbases that could take that. In Calgary when we started our rebuild the *****ing was legendary (especially some posters here) about losing games.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 12:35 AM
Howboutthempanthers
Thread killer.

Pegula should let someone else hire the GM, like a team president.

Howboutthempanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 06:45 AM
BiPolarBear

It should be an attractive job for ex and aspiring GM's, this Sabres season was a nightmare, I think mostly an aberration, Eichel's injury before the season was a major downer, Kulikov the same, Bogosian again injured, ROR as well early in the season had his injury issues put the team behind the eight ball. You also have to view the Sabres through the blurry filter that Dan Bylsma is as a coach.

There's a lot of talent to make a good top 6 from - Eichel who appears ready to break out as a Top 10 scorer, Ryan O'Reilly, Sam Reinhart, Kyle Okposo who I just saw a tweet about saying he is feeling much better and should be back to play, Evander Kane and possibly Alex Nylander if he puts on some muscle in the off-season or Nick Baptiste. There are other young forwards to fill in the bottom 6 plus probably Brian Gionta, guys like Marcus Foligno, Zemgus Girgensons, Evan Rodrigues, Justin Bailey.

On defense there's Ristolainen, Jake McCabe and Brendan Guhle looked ready to play in the NHL - as well as Bogosian. Any GM who takes the job will be looking to add a top 4 dman.

In goal there's Robin Lehner who had a good season and Linus Ullmark who's ready for NHL duty after a solid development path through the SHL and AHL and some NHL duty.

I think Tim Murray had good drafts in 2015 and 2016, he also signed a couple of decent college free agents.

Hire a good coach, make a few changes and the Sabres next year could be this years Leafs and Oilers.

BiPolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 08:11 AM
rikker

has anyone produced a list of candidates for GM & coach?

rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 08:23 AM
KirkAlbuquerque

Eichel 90+ points next season confirmed

KirkAlbuquerque is offline   Reply With Quote