HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coach Search 2017

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2017, 09:02 AM
flashsabre

vCash: 500
the Marlies were eliminated from the AHL playoffs last night so Keefe is now available to be interviewed. I would imagine that Botterill would be interested in talking to this up and coming coach.

Glad that Botterill is casting a wide net with this coaching search. Keefe might be a year or two away from being ready for an NHL head coaching job but it is always best to interview the top guys.

Old
05-18-2017, 09:39 AM
TheCerebral1
Zero F***s Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashsabre View Post
the Marlies were eliminated from the AHL playoffs last night so Keefe is now available to be interviewed. I would imagine that Botterill would be interested in talking to this up and coming coach.

Glad that Botterill is casting a wide net with this coaching search. Keefe might be a year or two away from being ready for an NHL head coaching job but it is always best to interview the top guys.
Keefe is an interesting name to bring up. I have to admit I haven't paid much attention to the AHL with how bad the Baby Sabres have been. Is his coaching style conducive to what Botterill is looking for "fast, puck movement"?

I would put my interest as: Housley, Keene, MacLean, Keefe, Quinn (even if he's said he's going back to Boston University).

Old
05-18-2017, 09:45 AM
Sabre Dance
Goals not pull-ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashsabre View Post

We hope he is casting a wide net, still see Tocchet linked to the job. He can't be the best out there.

Old
05-18-2017, 10:18 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre Dance View Post
We hope he is casting a wide net, still see Tocchet linked to the job. He can't be the best out there.
He said he is going to cast a wide net, so why not assume he is? The Tocchet talk I've seen seems almost solely conjecture and assumption.

Old
05-18-2017, 11:06 AM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCerebral1 View Post
Keefe is an interesting name to bring up. I have to admit I haven't paid much attention to the AHL with how bad the Baby Sabres have been. Is his coaching style conducive to what Botterill is looking for "fast, puck movement"?

I would put my interest as: Housley, Keene, MacLean, Keefe, Quinn (even if he's said he's going back to Boston University).
As a big supporter of Keefe, yes. He's a very offensive minded coach.

Old
05-18-2017, 04:48 PM
Ace

The only thing I have against Tocchet is that I really really want Housley.

Old
05-18-2017, 04:52 PM
lancaster14

I don't want Tocchet or Housley. I know Tocchet had a brief stint with TB, but what happened to Pegula and his quest for experienced candidates? So far this off-season, he has hired two rookie GM's & a rookie HC. Will he go 4 for 4?

I'm not saying they were the wrong hires...just that he did the opposite of what he said he was going to do.

Old
05-18-2017, 04:56 PM
Heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancaster14 View Post
I don't want Tocchet or Housley. I know Tocchet had a brief stint with TB, but what happened to Pegula and his quest for experienced candidates? So far this off-season, he has hired two rookie GM's & a rookie HC. Will he go 4 for 4?

I'm not saying they were the wrong hires...just that he did the opposite of what he said he was going to do.
Also Tocchet was arrested twice, once on conspiracy to money launder for a gambling ring, and the other was trying to bring a ton of money across the border, must not be looking for character that much if he's still in the running.

Old
05-18-2017, 05:29 PM
Mr Meeseeks

Quote:

You can have experience for something without holding a specific job title.

Old
05-18-2017, 05:48 PM
flashsabre

Quote:

Botterill was associate GM, and has done every job imaginable from NHL Central registry to assistant GM. He hired the best candidate available. You don't hire inferior people because they have had the job title before. I want the best candidate for head coach regardless of prior experience. Housley is my choice as he would work wonders with the d corps and a more up tempo system.

Old
05-18-2017, 06:46 PM
Sabre Dance
Goals not pull-ups

Quote:

You don't typically hire fired GMs in the NFL. The Bills have hired a experienced front office under Beane. It's a very impressive front office.

As for the Sabres, I expect them to add experience at some point. Botterill has experience doing everything, not just a scout. He can do it all. He knows how to manage a roster.

Old
05-18-2017, 09:53 PM
Danny14

Nashville is so fun to watch if Housley can bring half of what Nashville has I'm happy. But we definitely need to upgrade the D (that goes without saying)

Old
05-18-2017, 11:38 PM
Eichel15
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to Eichel15
With the length of this search, I'm guessing that his preferred coach is still in the playoffs. Otherwise, this has taken too long.

Old
05-19-2017, 12:48 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichel15 View Post
With the length of this search, I'm guessing that his preferred coach is still in the playoffs. Otherwise, this has taken too long.
It hasn't been long at all. It has been a week. Florida has been searching way longer.

Old
05-19-2017, 01:49 AM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxon View Post
It hasn't been long at all. It has been a week. Florida has been searching way longer.
Aside from that, Botterill has said he'd like to have a coach in place by the draft. It's not like they're behind schedule.

Old
05-19-2017, 10:58 AM
lancaster14

Quote:
I disagree. In fact I don't think I would be bothered if the Sabres had no HC at the time of the draft/beginning of free agency. Now, if late July comes around and JB still has no HC, then I'd be worried.

Old
05-19-2017, 11:42 AM
Myllz
#justbogothings

I wasn't expecting to see anyone hired until at least a couple weeks after JB was hired.

Old
05-19-2017, 12:09 PM
sabres4ever
We got Jack!

I've not been able to find any stories thus far, on any interviews conducted for HC. I know there have been names floated for the position, but no interviews yet AFAIK.

Without a doubt, GMJB will perform his due diligence in searching for HC. I know he has a vision for building this team, and it seems he has an idea for the type of team he wants to see. Does he interview only candidates whose coaching style meshes with his, or does he bring in a wide variety? Seems to me, if he already has leaned toward Tocchet (not saying he is), then his search would be short. On the other hand, if he is interested in Housley, then will he have to wait until either they lose the WCF, or the SCF ends?

Is it possible he has someone already in mind, and will 'go through the motions' to prove his done his due diligence, in conducting a wide variety of interviews over weeks?

Whomever he chooses, I'm confident he'll be much better than anything we've had in the recent years. I'd like to see us competing for a playoff spot next year, maybe just missing out. I don't think his managerial skills will be able to make us playoff contenders in just one season. It would be great if he did, but I don't want him to rush things.

Old
05-19-2017, 12:15 PM
Zip15

vCash: 205
Quote:
The length of the search? It's been a week, and he said it was going to be a thorough search. I'd be more concerned if he had hired a coach already and didn't speak to some of the qualified candidates simply because their teams are having success and remain in the playoffs, or were eliminated just a few days ago (e.g., Keefe).

Old
05-19-2017, 03:27 PM
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/to...oom-clean-outs

Quote:
Kyle Dubas
On Sheldon Keefeís growth:

It was certainly a very challenging one for Sheldon and his ability for him to transform himself, a lot of people have trouble adapting, I thought Sheldon this year, it was a group of players that needed a coach to be exceptionally hard on them and at this level that can go a number of different ways. In some cases the players can grow really tired of it but it was a group that needed it. We were able to climb from last place in January to contend for the division and those are the moments that if you donít like it, you can pack it in. He had to change his usual style to get the most out of this group and he did that with success.

On the Marliesí player development staff:

Every day. Weíve got a great player development staff. The impact that they had on the players was just massive. We were really fourtunate to have Robidas with use two of every four weeks. Sheldon and A.J. did a lot of work on the structure and systems side but in terms of the technical skill development, we had a lot of meetings to set up our individual play for each player and try to make it as individual as possible. And just the way that those two staffs came together it was a lot of fun to see. Itís our third year with that program and we still have a long way to go but I canít say enough good things about Scott Pellerin and the job he has done leading that division in terms of his personality and character but also the expertise. When players go up to the Leafs, you hear them mention Barb (Underhill) or Darryl (Belfry). Itís of huge personal importance to them even though everything comes back to the team.

Sheldon Keefe
On the Marliesí push from last in the division in January to contention:

Obviously, three months ago we didnít have a great feeling about where we were at but that doesnít mean we didnít believe in our people. We felt very confident we could turn things around. When things really hit rock bottom and we hit last place in the division, that gave us some time as a staff to dig into where we were and we looked at some statistical metrics to diagnose what might be happening. And in doing that we found some positives to give them reason to believe and continue to push.

We put ourselves in a position to succeed in the playoffs. It was a difficult one for me as a coach at any level. It was an important development opportunity for me and Iím certainly happy with how the players stuck with it.

The number one positive for us was that at that time in the season despite being one of the worst teams in the league from a points perspective we were number one in the league in goals given up at even strength. Our penalty kill was letting us down and the number of penalties we were taking was a concern. Defensively, when you have something youíre number one in and actually elite at something, I think that really had our guys perk up a bit.

On end-of-season discussions and the importance of honesty:

They can be difficult but at the same time I think players want honesty and thatís not just today but throughout the season. When the season ends you can assess where theyíre at, identify what theyíve done well and try to tell them where their situation might sit while understanding weíre not the ones who make the decision.

We did this at the start of the season as well and sat down with each guy. As the season gets going, itís difficult to do.

Itís give and take. We try to give them honest feedback but encourage feedback as well. Itís an opportunity for me to grow too. They can give you their sense of how they see things. Youíve got some players who are free agents and those guys are often the ones who you get the most honest answers from because theyíre just going to speak their mind. The younger guys are a little more guarded.

On the importance of a big summer for the Marliesí players:

In some cases for these guys, frankly, the summer is more important than anything that goes on during the season and itís hard to recognize that. The summer is the time when you can really get after it and make changes to your game so itís a really cool time for players.

On game-planning for next season:

I deal with the players that arrive here. Kyle and I are certainly in discussions but filling the roster is made at the Maple Leafs level. I stay away from that process as much as I can and focus on putting them in an environment.

Old
05-19-2017, 03:41 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1952
Quote:
Olczyk being out of broadcasting = good.
Olczyk being in the Sabres organization = bad.
The Sabres could used Olczyk when they were tanking. He was instrumental in building the Penguins.

Old
05-19-2017, 04:07 PM
SundherDome
Get to the Draft!

My guess is that Botterill has probably had a few conversations to gauge interest in the job. His main focus should be on the expansion draft and the what if scenarios along with finishing his big board. With these events 5 weeks away, I would estimate they would do the interviews around the 3rd week so they can get back to the drafts and either hire in week 3 or right after the draft.

Old
05-19-2017, 08:09 PM
gallagt01

Just dawned on me that I've been getting Jacques Lemaire and Jaques Martin totally mixed up since rumors of Botteril's interest in Martin surfaced.

Old
05-20-2017, 08:03 PM
Sabretip

My hope is:
1. Housley as HC
2. Peca as one of the assistant coaches to help get the penalty-killing fixed. He's been coaching the junior Sabres and lives in the Buffalo area.
3. A veteran coach like Dineen, Muller, Crawford (guys Housley played against), Ramsay, Foligno (guys Housley was teammates with) be the other AC.

Old
05-20-2017, 10:27 PM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
The search has been too long?

Exactly why do we need a coach prior to the draft? Are the Sabres gonna run some secret OTA's?

Take your time and the right guy who can best work with our defensive group and the young core. Housley, Tockett, Redden, Keffe, who care, I'm not qualified enough to make a good assessment but JB is. I'm ready willing and able to wait until June15th.

Closed Thread