HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coach Search 2017

Old
04-21-2017, 05:04 PM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
I think it depends entirely on who our GM is...I can see Dean Lombardi going the college route, or going with a guy like Stevens. I personally don't see Sutter wanting to even come here so I doubt that's a possibility.

Since I think Lombardi is far and away the leading candidate, does anyone have a list of coaches he's worked with throughout the years?

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 06:26 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
I think it depends entirely on who our GM is...I can see Dean Lombardi going the college route, or going with a guy like Stevens. I personally don't see Sutter wanting to even come here so I doubt that's a possibility.

Since I think Lombardi is far and away the leading candidate, does anyone have a list of coaches he's worked with throughout the years?
I'm curious what you're basing that on.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 06:34 PM
Deevo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I'm curious what you're basing that on.
Most accomplished/experienced guy on the market.

Deevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:14 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevo View Post
Most accomplished/experienced guy on the market.
That is a good reason but (Not being snarky) I was kind of wondering why he thought it. Since I read the post as him feeling he was already the leading candidate with the Pegula's. Which would be tough to imagine since they didn't talk to anyone yet.

Old
04-21-2017, 07:21 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post
new name just popped up: Guy Gadowsky from Penn State. Could be meaningless, just fabricated because of the association. But supposedly he's been contacted.
YES!

I've been mentioning his name for a while now. Of all the college coaches, he's that guy I'd want.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:25 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Sabres Captain View Post
YES!

I've been mentioning his name for a while now. Of all the college coaches, he's that guy I'd want.
He is pulling names out of his ass. Pegula just said he and the GM will work together to find a coach. We don't have a GM.

Old
04-21-2017, 07:33 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
He is pulling names out of his ass. Pegula just said he and the GM will work together to find a coach. We don't have a GM.
I don't doubt that someone has mentioned his name because of the Penn State connection, but I just want to voice my support for Gadowsky anyways.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:42 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Sabres Captain View Post
I don't doubt that someone has mentioned his name because of the Penn State connection, but I just want to voice my support for Gadowsky anyways.
Didn't mean to snap on you.

Old
04-22-2017, 09:30 PM
Workensons
doginthebathtub

Nothing to indicate this has legs, but would you like Boudreau if he became available?

Workensons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 09:40 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workensons View Post
Nothing to indicate this has legs, but would you like Boudreau if he became available?
Of course. Boudreau is a very good coach. With that said, He's only been with Minnesota for one season. He's going nowhere.

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 10:11 PM
Ethan Edwards

I don't think this has much of a chance, for several reasons, but if you want a relentlessly high pressure, high octane, attacking style, that's what you'll get:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Edwards View Post
Quote:
When coach Guy Gadowsky was behind the bench at the University of Alaska Anchorage back in the early 2000’s, he recalled a game against Michigan State where he learned a valuable lesson from then-Spartan’s head coach Ron Mason.

Gadowsky said his team got completely outplayed in a 3-0 loss and had “just one shot that had a chance of going in.”

“It was as bad a ‘bleep’ kicking as I’ve had in my entire life,” Gadowsky said as he looked over to Penn State hockey representative William Protter off to the side to make sure that ‘bleep’ was an acceptable term. “You realize that when you pre scouted them year after year after year after year, they did exactly the same thing. And they did exactly the same thing to us as they did to Michigan, as they did to Ohio State, as they did to Notre Dame ect.”

Since that encounter, Gadowsky has put less of an emphasis on pre-scouting teams and adapting to opponents and more of one on perfecting his team’s style and playing that way each and every night.

“Their philosophy was this is what we do, but we’re going to do it as well as you possibly can so just try and beat us,” Gadowsky said. “I think that year they lost four games that year.”

Having Ryan Miller in net certainly helped Mason’s cause, but Gadowsky picked up Mason’s philosophy and ran with it.

The Lions play a fast paced game that focuses on getting shots on net from anywhere and getting the defensemen involved in the offensive zone.

Their opponents should expect to see that style no matter what.

Ethan Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 07:19 AM
itwasaforwardpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workensons View Post
Hell yes I'd want Boudreau but there's no chance he becomes available this offseason.

It's so depressing that three of the best coaches in the league in Babcock, Boudreau, and Julien were all hired elsewhere the past couple seasons. Babcock spurned us and the other two became available while we were still foolishly committed to Bylsma.

Now the only experienced retread coaches available at the moment are guys like Lindy and Sutter that I don't want here.

There are plenty of qualified AHL coaches and assistant NHL coaches but I just hope they are actually willing to go that route.

itwasaforwardpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 12:52 PM
LaxSabre

vCash: 0
John Stevens is out - he is going to be the new coach of the Los Angeles Kings.
LaxSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 01:05 PM
CaptPantalones

Count me in the I'll figure it out when we have a GM category

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 11:51 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Mike Kitchen booted

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 01:56 PM
pigpen65

Quote:
I think it was pulled out of an ass, but it wasn't mine. I was just passing along. It came from a Philly message board from a guy supposedly connected to Penn state hockey. I even said I didn't personally believe it .

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 04:57 PM
jputt99

I think Pegula needs to find a strong experienced exec with proven NHL experience to head up "hockey operations". Then, let him hire a GM who in turn hires his coach. I would hope that all these execs would build a fast skating and up tempo team. The fans in Buffalo deserve a more exciting brand of hockey.

jputt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 04:58 PM
Sabre the Win
Sabres 4 Brisebois

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
Count me in the I'll figure it out when we have a GM category
This. We will have a President or GM before we have a coach.

Sabre the Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 05:01 PM
DatGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jputt99 View Post
I think Pegula needs to find a strong experienced exec with proven NHL experience to head up "hockey operations". Then, let him hire a GM who in turn hires his coach. I would hope that all these execs would build a fast skating and up tempo team. The fans in Buffalo deserve a more exciting brand of hockey.
This is how it SHOULD work. We will get a coach first, then a hockey ops guys, and maybe jack will find us a good GM.....Welcome to Buffalo.

DatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 06:11 PM
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Mike Kitchen booted
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/blackha...221533261.html

And there is a report that Q isn't happy about it....

Fire up the Pegula jet!

Jim Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 07:23 PM
sabrebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Edwards View Post
I don't think this has much of a chance, for several reasons, but if you want a relentlessly high pressure, high octane, attacking style, that's what you'll get:
Philosophically I like what I've heard. Practically, that is a tough transition with no adjustment period to the league.

sabrebuild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 07:58 AM
joshjull

Old
04-25-2017, 09:42 AM
Ethan Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrebuild View Post
Philosophically I like what I've heard. Practically, that is a tough transition with no adjustment period to the league.
I don't disagree. I'm also not advocating (believe me!), just neutrally reporting, but to your point, one thing to consider with someone who espouses a certain style like that is that in this capacity he's both GM (so to speak) and coach, so he's recruiting to fit his style. That dynamic changes at the NHL level, so you'd need a GM who can work with him...or he needs to be able to properly adapt. Ideally you get a proper mix of both. And that, to varying degrees, applies to all college coaches making the transition. Most of that is "duh" level stuff, so I'll shut up now.

Ethan Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 09:44 AM
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/f...ndidates-know/

Sportsnet has 5 under the radar NHL coaching candidates. Not Sabres specific, but this has some names that haven't really been thrown around here.

Jim Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 10:39 AM
pigpen65

Quote:
Can't even imagine how much better they would have been had Nolan still been coach. I remember him beating the Sharks on the road with Larsson, Varone, Ellis, and some other scrub as his 4 centers. Imagine what he could have done with Eichel and ROR. Thank goodness Murray is gone.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote