HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Charlie McAvoy - part III

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-20-2017, 12:08 PM
  #1
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
True Grit
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Grumpville USA
Country: United States
Posts: 47,958
vCash: 500
Awards:
Charlie McAvoy - part III

continued from here:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...209885&page=40

It is unfair to compare McAvoy to Karlsson. The former is 19 years old without a single regular-season game of NHL experience. The latter is a 26-year-old, in-his-prime, best-in-the-league superstar. Even on banged-up wheels that have dampened some of his jets, Karlsson’s skating is still dynamic and explosive, the foundation of the artistry he completes with his hands and stick.

But through four NHL playoff games, McAvoy is already supplying the Bruins with some of what Karlsson has given the Senators for parts of eight seasons. He is pushing the pace through center ice. He is leaning on opponents, nearly fighting Ryan off down low before the winning goal. He is running the No. 1 power-play unit.
Karlsson was a reedy, stringy-haired boy when he entered the NHL at 19 years old. The only boyish things about McAvoy are his appearance and his enthusiasm. McAvoy entered the league with a man’s body and a veteran’s poise. Four games into his career, McAvoy already looks like a polished 200-foot NHL defenseman.

“He’s a heck of a talent,” said Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy. “He wants the puck. He wants to be out there in big moments. I think the Boston Bruins fans are seeing something right now they’re going to truly appreciate for years. Just his composure and his ability to play in three zones. And his battle. Even on the goal, he’s battling right until the end against a big-body guy. We can’t ask for much more from him.”


http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/br...xFN/story.html

__________________



You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!
Gee Wally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 12:18 PM
  #2
RussellmaniaKW
Registered User
 
RussellmaniaKW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 9,185
vCash: 500
The Bruins really lucked out with this kid. Now they have a solid top 3 for years to come and a very good top 4 when you include Chara for however long he keeps playing. Once Zboril, Lauzon, & Lindgren work their way in they're going to be set.

This series is showing how busted the Bruins bottom 6 is so it's a real luxury to go into the offseason knowing you just need to fix your 3rd line instead of trying to fix your top 4 D or top 6 forwards.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 12:25 PM
  #3
wintersej
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 7,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
The Bruins really lucked out with this kid. Now they have a solid top 3 for years to come and a very good top 4 when you include Chara for however long he keeps playing. Once Zboril, Lauzon, & Lindgren work their way in they're going to be set.

This series is showing how busted the Bruins bottom 6 is so it's a real luxury to go into the offseason knowing you just need to fix your 3rd line instead of trying to fix your top 4 D or top 6 forwards.
I think finding another top 6 forward is more important than the lower lines. The lower lines you just have to pray that some of JFK, DeBrusk, Heinen, and the rest can step in.

wintersej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 01:09 PM
  #4
FribbleLine
Registered User
 
FribbleLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,340
vCash: 500
I am so excited to see McAvoy develop.

FribbleLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 01:16 PM
  #5
rocketdan9
Registered User
 
rocketdan9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,885
vCash: 500
I have criticized Chara in the past...not this past season

He is playing great....he has 10 more get out of free jail cards

He will be back next season to tutor McAvoy, possibly Zboril and other young ds

Depending on where the Bruins stand by the trade deadline...may trade him to benefit everyone

rocketdan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 01:34 PM
  #6
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty
 
Dellstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 22,623
vCash: 650
Thank God we called him up. Even if we're out in 5 games, and a year of his deal is gone, it was worth it. I feel so much better about this organization moving forward.

He's the real deal.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 01:38 PM
  #7
Mainehockey33
Powerplay Specialist
 
Mainehockey33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Maine
Country: Scotland
Posts: 3,963
vCash: 500
Help us Mcavoy, you're our only hope...

Seriously though, we're so lucky he's doing what he's doing right now. It's so fun watching him and I can't wait to see what he can do in two years. If Carlo also takes another step next year, look out.

Mainehockey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 01:42 PM
  #8
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF
 
Jean_Jacket41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: With the smurfs
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,509
vCash: 500
Has the skill set to be a dominant D for years.

Another great pick by the Bruins.

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 03:27 PM
  #9
DBL
Registered User
 
DBL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,418
vCash: 500
Guy is amazing. He'll be running the back end in Boston for a long time.

One thing that I have noticed, he is such a great playmaker, that some passes guys are fumbling not expecting it in the offensive zone. He can really pass the puck hard and accurate out of nowhere. Guys are going to have to get use to that and make use of the chances he creates for them.

DBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 04:22 PM
  #10
Mainehockey33
Powerplay Specialist
 
Mainehockey33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Maine
Country: Scotland
Posts: 3,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL View Post
Guy is amazing. He'll be running the back end in Boston for a long time.

One thing that I have noticed, he is such a great playmaker, that some passes guys are fumbling not expecting it in the offensive zone. He can really pass the puck hard and accurate out of nowhere. Guys are going to have to get use to that and make use of the chances he creates for them.
Savard might be the last Bruin with this kind of elite playmaking.

Mainehockey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:46 PM
  #11
bigcat188
Registered User
 
bigcat188's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cape Cod
Country: United States
Posts: 1,155
vCash: 500
The guy has a very bright future,good luck to him!

bigcat188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 06:58 PM
  #12
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975
 
Alberta_OReilly_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edmonton Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,955
vCash: 500
got nothing new to add but want to be on record with my support for this kid.

havent felt this positive for a bruin kid dman since glen wesley broke in. ultimately wesley fell short of being a franchise dman. so im not going to annoint mcavoy our savior quite yet.

i am willing to say mcavoy/carlo can be pencilled in for 40 quality min a night next year.

it makes 2 out of 3 of mcquaid/killer/chiller available to vegas/trade

with chara/krug also 40 mins of solid play it gives us a really good opportunity for our backend to be a strength

one more 20 min experienced vet added to the mix though i think... signed for around 3 years... let lingren or zorbil or lauzon to break into a sheltered spot once chara retires

mcavoy makes this all happen. carlo will be a fine second pairing guy imho, but mcavoy has the tools to be good in a first pair assignment

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 07:21 PM
  #13
chizzler
Registered User
 
chizzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
got nothing new to add but want to be on record with my support for this kid.

havent felt this positive for a bruin kid dman since glen wesley broke in. ultimately wesley fell short of being a franchise dman. so im not going to annoint mcavoy our savior quite yet.

i am willing to say mcavoy/carlo can be pencilled in for 40 quality min a night next year.

it makes 2 out of 3 of mcquaid/killer/chiller available to vegas/trade

with chara/krug also 40 mins of solid play it gives us a really good opportunity for our backend to be a strength

one more 20 min experienced vet added to the mix though i think... signed for around 3 years... let lingren or zorbil or lauzon to break into a sheltered spot once chara retires

mcavoy makes this all happen. carlo will be a fine second pairing guy imho, but mcavoy has the tools to be good in a first pair assignment
You forgot, everyone drops a slot. Which is exactly what is needed.

chizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 08:32 PM
  #14
Dr Hook
Registered User
 
Dr Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Temple, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dr Hook
I'd still like for us to make a run at signing Shattenkirk.

Chara, McAvoy, Carlo, Krug, Shatt, K. Miller with one of McQuaid/Chiller as our 7th and holy crap that is an awesome d-corps. Have O'Gara on standby as the first call-up in an injury. It would be hard to do better across the league than that bunch.

Dr Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 08:36 PM
  #15
TB1299
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 477
vCash: 500
This kid is looking awesome!!! Coming from a Sens fan. But at the same time they really need to shelter him and find a veteran puck moving D that can take the pressure away from him.

This is a very small sample size and this article is not going to do him many favours.

Cowen looked like a beast when he came up at first and there were fans who actually believed he would one day be the next Chara lol.

I also remember Dougie Hamilton being touted as the next young D phenom over here in Canada at least. Even Klingberg after a solid half season.

I have very similar concerns about Thomas Chabot for the SENS. Everybody is expecting him to be the next coming of Karlsson.

I wish him the best. He does look legit! I just hope they develop him properly!

TB1299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:28 PM
  #16
Colt.45Orr
Registered User
 
Colt.45Orr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,558
vCash: 500
Does he make Team USA D at the WCs?

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:34 PM
  #17
Dabruins
Registered User
 
Dabruins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Hook View Post
I'd still like for us to make a run at signing Shattenkirk.

Chara, McAvoy, Carlo, Krug, Shatt, K. Miller with one of McQuaid/Chiller as our 7th and holy crap that is an awesome d-corps. Have O'Gara on standby as the first call-up in an injury. It would be hard to do better across the league than that bunch.
Sorry I want nothing to do with Shattenkirk. He has been horrible for the Caps the last two games of their series. Least minutes played, sheltered, still scored on. He is gonna command 7mill a year for being basically the Ryan Spooner of Defense. PP specialist, can handle the puck, but cant win battles to save his life and is lost defensively most nights. If Bels/Backes havent taught us to build from within then were in trouble. No more wasted money over paying for guys when we have a very deep prospect pool. Rather them attempt to trade for a top 6 established winger on a good contract. Our D, with the advancement of Carlo/McAvoy, has come together much quicker than anticipated. They should be fine.

Dabruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:36 AM
  #18
Bruinator
Registered User
 
Bruinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
Does he make Team USA D at the WCs?
In the unlikely event that the Bruins don't come back in this series, without question.

Bruinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:42 AM
  #19
Bruinator
Registered User
 
Bruinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,553
vCash: 500
It appeared to me that in the 2nd and 3rd period of the last game, Butch must have taken the leash off of McVoy and told him to go for it because the kid seemed to dial it up. I couldn't help but think while watching him how incredible it was that a 19 year old kid playing in only his 4th NHL game in such a high stakes situation could perform at such a high level. After seeing his leadership and performance in the World Junior Championship I knew he was capable of this but never dreamt he could be this capable this early. The kid just seems to thrive on pressure. Imagine if you will what he may be like as a 24-29 year old after gaining 5 years of NHL experience.

Bruinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:46 AM
  #20
Oates2Neely
Registered User
 
Oates2Neely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 10,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabruins View Post
Sorry I want nothing to do with Shattenkirk. He has been horrible for the Caps the last two games of their series. Least minutes played, sheltered, still scored on. He is gonna command 7mill a year for being basically the Ryan Spooner of Defense. PP specialist, can handle the puck, but cant win battles to save his life and is lost defensively most nights. If Bels/Backes havent taught us to build from within then were in trouble. No more wasted money over paying for guys when we have a very deep prospect pool. Rather them attempt to trade for a top 6 established winger on a good contract. Our D, with the advancement of Carlo/McAvoy, has come together much quicker than anticipated. They should be fine.
I completely agree, and I'm guessing Sweeney also realizes the best move he can make this offseason is avoiding Shattenkirk. Let the Rangers shell out big money and cap space on him.

On another note, McAvoy is awesome

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 06:49 AM
  #21
Blowfish
Registered User
 
Blowfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: St. Kitts, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,136
vCash: 500
We are so lucky to have this kid. Is it time to trade Chara for some speedy scoring players. We can't continue with this turtle forward group.

Blowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:01 AM
  #22
JCRO
Blue line dangles
 
JCRO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Hook View Post
I'd still like for us to make a run at signing Shattenkirk.

Chara, McAvoy, Carlo, Krug, Shatt, K. Miller with one of McQuaid/Chiller as our 7th and holy crap that is an awesome d-corps. Have O'Gara on standby as the first call-up in an injury. It would be hard to do better across the league than that bunch.
Id prefer Alzner. Balance out the LHD and is a strong defensive presence while McAvoy does his thing. IMO, price wise, Alzner is more realistic.

Alzner-McAvoy
Chara-Carlo
Krug-K.Miller/C.Miller/McQuaid (Whoever is left from the expansion draft. Hope its the millers).

Now that is a D core.

JCRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:07 AM
  #23
chizzler
Registered User
 
chizzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRO View Post
Id prefer Alzner. Balance out the LHD and is a strong defensive presence while McAvoy does his thing. IMO, price wise, Alzner is more realistic.

Alzner-McAvoy
Chara-Carlo
Krug-K.Miller/C.Miller/McQuaid (Whoever is left from the expansion draft. Hope its the millers).

Now that is a D core.
Agree. They need heavy defenseman. Shattenkirk is just another C Miller and Morrow. Not physical enough.

chizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:32 AM
  #24
BlackCrowes
Registered User
 
BlackCrowes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sunny Old Lyme
Country: United States
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinator View Post
It appeared to me that in the 2nd and 3rd period of the last game, Butch must have taken the leash off of McVoy and told him to go for it because the kid seemed to dial it up. I couldn't help but think while watching him how incredible it was that a 19 year old kid playing in only his 4th NHL game in such a high stakes situation could perform at such a high level. After seeing his leadership and performance in the World Junior Championship I knew he was capable of this but never dreamt he could be this capable this early. The kid just seems to thrive on pressure. Imagine if you will what he may be like as a 24-29 year old after gaining 5 years of NHL experience.
I thought the same thing in the first 2 games, that he didn't seem to be rushing the puck or jumping in the offense like he did at BU and the WJC. Seems like he's doing that more in games 3 and 4, so something changed. I'm wondering if it might just be that he's getting more and more comfortable with the speed of the game, and is just gaining confidence in his ability to play with them?

Either way, every time I see him on the ice I get excited. As a fan, that's about all you can ask for!

BlackCrowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:36 AM
  #25
BlackCrowes
Registered User
 
BlackCrowes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sunny Old Lyme
Country: United States
Posts: 142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL View Post
Guy is amazing. He'll be running the back end in Boston for a long time.

One thing that I have noticed, he is such a great playmaker, that some passes guys are fumbling not expecting it in the offensive zone. He can really pass the puck hard and accurate out of nowhere. Guys are going to have to get use to that and make use of the chances he creates for them.
His passes are also some of the hardest that I can remember. Always on the stick blade of the target, and they are rockets. In fact, I think some of the fumbles we saw so far in this series are as a result of the target just not being ready for a pass that hard and that quick. They've adjusted (they are pros after all!) but it seemed like it was just the recipient saying "WHOA, that was fast!!". Heads up boys, Charlie gets it there quick!

BlackCrowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.