Notices

Charlie McAvoy - part III

Old
04-23-2017, 09:52 AM
PlayMakers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
fearless, his game reminds me of the one were watching many of the Leafs play, too young to realize that they aren`t suppose to be able to just step in and do what they are doing

What I`m also impressed by, and this won`t get ink but I anticipated he`d take some of those "young" penalties, the one`s we see kids take vs experienced NHL`ers as the game is often just a stride or two too fast and they are behind the play and feel forced to hold, hook, trip etc....I`m not 100% sure but I don`t think he`s even had a minor penalty yet?

Again, not something that shows up on any stat sheets but something I find impressive
We haven't seen "young" penalties, but we've seen lots of young mistakes. Times where he overhandles it as the last guy back, loses it and gives up a 3on1 or whatever. Still, very impressive overall and things that should be easily fixed.

04-23-2017, 10:31 AM
CptxMorgan
Dangerzone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post
19 and he's got 3 times the hockey IQ of Spooner. So wild.
Hockey IQ is one of the things Spooner actually has going for him, at least on the rush and in the offensive zone.

CptxMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 10:33 AM
CptxMorgan
Dangerzone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayMakers View Post
We haven't seen "young" penalties, but we've seen lots of young mistakes. Times where he overhandles it as the last guy back, loses it and gives up a 3on1 or whatever. Still, very impressive overall and things that should be easily fixed.
This is gonna be a double post but there's a play that pretty much describes exactly what you're talking about. McAvoy had the puck in the neutral zone, protected it from one of their players but held it too long and ended up giving it away to the second layer of their forecheck which led to a partial break or a 2 on 1. Definitely fixable but Rask ended up having to bail him out pretty hard.

That being said, the positives so far outweigh the negatives by a pretty massive margin.

Old
04-23-2017, 10:39 AM
PlayMakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptxMorgan View Post
This is gonna be a double post but there's a play that pretty much describes exactly what you're talking about. McAvoy had the puck in the neutral zone, protected it from one of their players but held it too long and ended up giving it away to the second layer of their forecheck which led to a partial break or a 2 on 1. Definitely fixable but Rask ended up having to bail him out pretty hard.

That being said, the positives so far outweigh the negatives by a pretty massive margin.
Yep. Honestly, it's not unlike Karlsson. He's given up as many odd man rushes as he's generated. He's been walked through 1on1 fairly consistently in this series... but he's so good offensively... and it seems like many of the opportunities he generates are easy to finish so he has a pretty big net positive.

PlayMakers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 10:41 AM
CptxMorgan
Dangerzone

Quote:
Yep. Honestly, it's not unlike Karlsson. He's given up as many odd man rushes as he's generated. He's been walked through 1on1 fairly consistently in this series... but he's so good offensively... and it seems like many of the opportunities he generates are easy to finish so he has a pretty big net positive.
Haven't really seen McAvoy get beat much 1on1 in his own zone. The rookie mistakes seem to show up in the neutral zone or when there's a second man in.

Old
04-23-2017, 10:46 AM
PlayMakers

Quote:
Haven't really seen McAvoy get beat much 1on1 in his own zone. The rookie mistakes seem to show up in the neutral zone or when there's a second man in.
Agreed, McAvoy has been very solid in 1on1's. That was more of a comment/shot at Karlsson.

The point about them both being trick or treat at times stands though.

Old
04-23-2017, 11:03 AM
BNHL

Quote:
I see Karlsson overplay the puck regularly. He strikes with about 2 or 3 great plays a game,but overall he hasn't been great. When I see people compare him to Orr,I gotta laugh

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 11:17 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Clode

Quote:
Quote:
I think you are exaggerating quite a bit. Walked through fairly consistently? I haven't see that at all. He has made mistakes, but that happens to any player, particularly D who handle the puck a lot, be they 19 or 40.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 11:26 AM
RetiredWBC8

vCash: 1000
He has far less mistakes than Chara.

RetiredWBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 11:57 AM
CptxMorgan
Dangerzone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
I see Karlsson overplay the puck regularly. He strikes with about 2 or 3 great plays a game,but overall he hasn't been great. When I see people compare him to Orr,I gotta laugh
I dunno, I think he's been pretty great. Ottawa's offense falls apart without him IMO.

Old
04-23-2017, 12:07 PM
BNHL

Quote:
I dunno, I think he's been pretty great. Ottawa's offense falls apart without him IMO.
To,he's a lot of bling,that shines a couple of times a game. Not saying he's not very good,but I don't think he's a great defenseman.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 12:23 PM
What The Puck
Future GM

Quote:
I seem to recall that he got beat near the blue line along the wall in overtime last game. If that giveaway goes in, this thread would be a very different conversation. I still stand by burning away one year of the ELC being a very bad idea. We are close to the cap, and we have a lot of filler on this team. As a GM, that means it's really hard to plug in more talent. A series against Ottawa with a team that's got as many problems as we have, all that does is create one more filler player later on two years from now.

What The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 12:40 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
yep, far from a perfect or fully developed player, still far more poised and relevant than what I anticipated. Thought we`d see him in the 12-14 minutes range. Like Carlo who also makes mistakes, have to be optimistic about the future of the D moving forward

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 12:41 PM
Braunbaer
also a giraffe

All that ball washing reminds me of Dougie Hamilton's early days as a Bruin.

Braunbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 12:43 PM
CptxMorgan
Dangerzone

Quote:
Originally Posted by What The Puck View Post
I seem to recall that he got beat near the blue line along the wall in overtime last game. If that giveaway goes in, this thread would be a very different conversation. I still stand by burning away one year of the ELC being a very bad idea. We are close to the cap, and we have a lot of filler on this team. As a GM, that means it's really hard to plug in more talent. A series against Ottawa with a team that's got as many problems as we have, all that does is create one more filler player later on two years from now.
Yeah, I mentioned that exact play earlier on. It was right by the blue line, he protected it from the first forward and then another pinched and took it off his stick. I don't think he was expecting it with how passive OTT's forecheck is.

Old
04-23-2017, 12:44 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
the problem playing vs a player like Karlsson is he can go 58 minutes where he doesn`t do a ton but makes one or two plays that very few can which completely change the complexion of a game and that`s what makes him great

I honestly couldn`t stand watching him win previous Norris trophies as I found his game absent of consistent play in his own zone, this year, under Boucher, my mind has changed, he`s not the same player he was, he`s clearly accepted the importance of being more committed to play in his own zone and it hasn`t hurt him on the stat sheet either

Old
04-23-2017, 12:46 PM
mikaH

Quote:
With the way he has played, burning ELC has been a great idea. If he continues to perform at this level, his second contract would be massive if he had another year to add to his resume.

mikaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 12:51 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunbaer View Post
I don`t recall media outlets based out of Toronto of all places, speaking about Dougie like they are with McAvoy with names like Bob Mackenzie, Dreger, Doug Maclean, and many others speaking highly of a kid with 0 NHL experience doing what he`s doing and yep, they too have mentioned mistakes he`s made which he has.

Being excited about a kid like this isn`t ball washing, ball washing might be a fan (s)/media who ignore the mistakes he`s made and can only focus on the positives, I don`t see that here. I see a fan base who`s exceptionally optimistic and excited about a kid who`s doing things many didn`t feel he could without any NHL time in, I see no posts talking about making plans to a HOF induction party

Old
04-23-2017, 01:10 PM
BillnyeTheHockeyGuy*

Quote:
Interesting...I didn't realize being excited for a player is "ball washing".

BillnyeTheHockeyGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 01:26 PM
What The Puck
Future GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaH View Post
With the way he has played, burning ELC has been a great idea. If he continues to perform at this level, his second contract would be massive if he had another year to add to his resume.
You think we are going to save money because of burning one year off of the ELC? No. He's going to get paid a lot of money and appropriate to his position. The thing about the ELC is that it caps how much he would be paid. We just moved his RFA payday up one year.

What The Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 01:32 PM
BillnyeTheHockeyGuy*

Quote:
You think we are going to save money because of burning one year off of the ELC? No. He's going to get paid a lot of money and appropriate to his position. The thing about the ELC is that it caps how much he would be paid. We just moved his RFA payday up one year.
You have a better chance to save some money on McAvoy with burning a year off than you do having him under contract for 3 full ELC years. If he plays at this level, you're getting to him a year sooner. He would have a whole full season to add to his resume going into his RFA season if they didn't burn a year. That would potentially earn him more money.

BillnyeTheHockeyGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 01:34 PM
4ORRBRUIN

Quote:
Charlie is as good or better than that flower is today

4ORRBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2017, 05:10 PM
PlayMakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
I think you are exaggerating quite a bit. Walked through fairly consistently? I haven't see that at all. He has made mistakes, but that happens to any player, particularly D who handle the puck a lot, be they 19 or 40.
In the first period of Game 4, he got walked 3 times. Krejci went straight through him 30 seconds in. 6 minutes later McAvoy went around him on his backhand. Then Krejci again...

He also makes some pretty amazing defensive plays with his stick in passing lanes and pulling pucks out of the air... but at the same time I haven't seen any other D in this series get beat 1on1 three times in a game, let alone a period.

Old
04-23-2017, 05:27 PM
CptxMorgan
Dangerzone

Showed his age a few times tonight.

Old
04-23-2017, 05:29 PM
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty

vCash: 650
Yeah, he wasn't great tonight. But I am so glad we have him. He showed us that he's got, and it's that he's a future #1D.

Can't wait to see what he can go next season. This experience was huge, and he's only going to grow into his body more.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote