HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Linesman files $10M suit against Dennis Wideman

Old
04-20-2017, 05:02 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgareee View Post
Have to think that because of the neutral arbitrator dropping the suspension to 10 games twice (once on appeal by Wideman and again when the NHL appealed that decision) that there is no evidence of intent for the hit.

The onus will be on Henderson's lawyers to prove intent and I can't see there being sufficient evidence to support that claim. My guess is that they're hoping for a settlement.
Except that the arbiter stated
Quote:
League Rule 40.3 provides for an automatic penalty of not less than ten games for Category II offenses – including when a player “deliberately applies physical force to an official in any manner (excluding actions set out in Category I), which physical force is applied without intent to injure.” This is the description into which, in my opinion, Wideman’s actions fit easily.
and
Quote:
The Commissioner’s basic conclusion -- that Wideman’s on-ice behavior resulting in Linesman Henderson’s concussion constituted physical abuse of an official calling for Supplemental Discipline for on-ice conduct -- was correct.
The NDA said he found no evidence of intent to injure, but he still ruled that Wideman's actions "fit easily" into a rule which is applied only when a player "deliberately applies physical force to an official"

Also the suspension wasn't dropped twice. It was dropped once by the arbiter and then the NHL filed an appeal to have that decision voided due to the arbiter overstepping his authority, not on the merits of the case. The NHLs appeal was not "the arbiter got it wrong", it was "the arbiter didn't have authority to act the way he did, thus his decision isn't valid"

04-20-2017, 05:02 PM
Terry Yake

vCash: 500
i hope the linesman wins

wideman screwed him over really bad. POS

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:04 PM
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
The Matthews Show

Good. I believe he knew full well what he was doing.

Henderson deserves to win this. His career and future earnings have been irreparably damaged and he has to live with the physical impairments the rest of his life.

Warden of the North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FLYLine27
BUCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanaconda View Post
linesman fell over grabbed onto yak and took him down with him

and yak ended up pulling or twisting something I can't remember and was out for a while

This could open up a big bag of problems for missed calls and stuff tho . Also wow how much do refs and linesman make?
Somewhere around 100K. Give or take 10-20K depending on refree or linemen and how many years they have.

FLYLine27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hatterson
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Right, but Wideman's going to argue it was an accident and he has a successful appeal to back him up on that. Unless I'm wrong that his appeal was successful.
Per my post above, although his appeal was successful in reducing his suspension, the NDA still stated that he felt "deliberately applies physical force to an official" fit with Wideman's actions.

Although the ruling that Wideman lacked the intent to injure may affect how much is paid in damages, simply lacking intent to injure doesn't automatically absolve Wideman of responsibility.

hatterson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:05 PM
possesthepuck

I'd say 1-2 million is a fair range. 10 million is straight up robbery.

possesthepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrinx View Post

He clearly extends his arms. He's not just trying to get around him.
I don't know. When I am playing with my kids, and they get in my way or we're gonna collide, my first reaction is always to extend my arms and smoke them out of the way. It's just a natural reaction. I know some other people try to do a hug, or dodge, or hit the brakes, but for me, it's always extend, destroy.

oobga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dmang714

I hope he wins
Wideman shot was suuuuuuper dirty

Dmang714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:07 PM
x Tame Impala

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man View Post
Do you even proximate cause bro?
HF Boards, where probably no one in this thread (except maybe you) is a lawyer but everyone kinda thinks they know what they're talking about so they have a legal opinion anyway

x Tame Impala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:08 PM
BagHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draiskull View Post
why?
NHLPA needs to fully support Wideman here.

Yakupov should sue the linesman that got him injured too ... **** that happens on the ice should stay on the ice.

10M dollars... yeh right. Cant let anyone set a precedent like this.
Pretty black and white way of looking at things. If I take off my skate and try to maim someone, and perhaps succeed, is that something that should "stay on the ice"? The truth of the matter is that Wideman did something that is a huge no-no even in the often self-policed world of hockey. Since that ended that linesman's career, he is within his rights to ask reparations. I can't say I know what's fair to ask for and what isn't, but it's almost guaranteed that this $10 million number was not just some random amount he fantasized about. An attorney would have advised him how much to seek in damages, both in lost wages and in trauma sustained as a result of Wideman's actions, physical and otherwise.

I agree on one thing, that the NHLPA should support Wideman, as he is a member of their union. That said, I'm not sure in which ways they can support him and in which they can't. They're not his attorneys after all (Directly, I mean. I'm sure they know some good ones he can use).

BagHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:08 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by x Tame Impala View Post
HF Boards, where probably no one in this thread (except maybe you) is a lawyer but everyone kinda thinks they know what they're talking about so they have a legal opinion anyway
Not everyone has a legal opinion. I have no idea on this stuff and will openly admit it.

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:09 PM
BrokenStix

Wideman deserves every he gets. Attacking an unsuspecting official like that is the lowest of the low. I hope the ref wins. I can't understand how anyone wouldn't believe that he did that on purpose.

BrokenStix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:10 PM
Ninety7
go oil go

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTakedown View Post
Part of the ****ing game. Soldiers aren't suing the Federal government for lost limbs are they?

Wideman was also super dazed after that hit.

The NHL already ****ed up the suspension case for wideman too. Ref needs to be compensated via the ref Union and call it a day. Don't drag the player into it
Hitting a ref is not part of the game. Never has been and never will be. How can you type that stuff and actually believe it?

I find it hard to believe that widenan was so dazed and confused like your claim suggests. if he was that ****ed up where he couldn't even differentiate between player and the referee do you really think that he would be able to actually get up and skate that far and fast?

Ninety7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:12 PM
Tom Collins
MVP MVP MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTakedown View Post
Part of the ****ing game. Soldiers aren't suing the Federal government for lost limbs are they?

Wideman was also super dazed after that hit.

The NHL already ****ed up the suspension case for wideman too. Ref needs to be compensated via the ref Union and call it a day. Don't drag the player into it
I'm going to assume you have never enlisted for military service. A soldier is bound to a concept referred to as "unlimited liability" - NHL refs are not.

Contact of any kind towards an official is not "part of the ****ing game."

Tom Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:13 PM
Syrinx
HBK

vCash: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobga View Post
I don't know. When I am playing with my kids, and they get in my way, my first reaction is always to extend my arms and smoke them out of the way. It's just a natural reaction. I know some other people try to do a hug, or dodge, or hit the brakes, but for me, it's always extend, destroy.
How many times has a player had to alter course at the bench to get around the linesman whose job it is to be right in that area? I'd bet it's in the hundreds of thousands. How many times has a linesman been assaulted like this? Maybe a few.

Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:13 PM
FLYLine27
BUCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by possesthepuck View Post
I'd say 1-2 million is a fair range. 10 million is straight up robbery.
Let someone break your neck and end your career, then come back.

FLYLine27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:14 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPECT THE LEAFS View Post
What happens on the ice stays on the ice as far as I'm concerned. Therefore I'm against this and hope he loses.
So, do you think Moore should have gotten nothing from Bertuzzi for ending his career and ruining his life?

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:15 PM
kassian

I hope the ref wins. Wideman's act was completely cowardly. Hitting an unsuspecting official behind, like he did. Putting him through operations, a rehab and basically ending his career is just a cherry on top of the cake.

kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:15 PM
Guuar*

No chance he gets a single dollar. Doesn't matter if it's in a US court or in Canada.

He was suspended by the league which means nothing. Had this been a clear cut case where Dennis Wideman had intentionally assaulted him the police would have investigated this and placed criminal charges.

It would be no different than if Wideman has accidentally shot a puck at his head.

I can tell you right now they are going to argue that Wideman had recently hit his head against the boards and as a result was disorientated. You watch the video replay and it's clear Wideman was not his normal self after that hit.

Lastly, since this misfortunate incident took place the league hasn't addressed safety issues. There is no reason why referees shouldn't be wearing drastically better safety equipment. They share the same risk as the players in terms of being hit by players, pucks or sticks.

Nobody in the right mind can approve of what Wideman did but the only person that knew what was going through his head or what was wrong is Wideman.

Not to mention be prepared to wait 10 years to get any kind of settlement even if they win.

Guuar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:16 PM
Alex Jones
BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!

Since when was attacking the ref part of the game???

Alex Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:17 PM
Guuar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassian View Post
I hope the ref wins. Wideman's act was completely cowardly. Hitting an unsuspecting official behind, like he did. Putting him through operations, a rehab and basically ending his career is just a cherry on top of the cake.
You are so right. Get a reality check.

Lets say you rear end a guy in your car. The guy gets out screaming his neck and back are on fire.

He sues you for 10 million dollars as you can't work anymore.

Then you find out during the court proceedings that he's actually had some neck and back issues for a while and all you did was make it a little worse.

Guuar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:18 PM
dechire
Janmark Enthusiast

I'm wondering if this timing of this is based on the final resolution of the failed appeal by the league about a month ago. He might have held off on civil action hoping that the original suspension would be reinstated but the league lost that case(unsurprisingly based on the CBA rules) so he's going forward with it now. He was probably hoping that it would have been ruled deliberate instead of ending with the arbitrator's decision that it wasn't.

dechire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:19 PM
HighLifeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenStix View Post
Wideman deserves every he gets. Attacking an unsuspecting official like that is the lowest of the low. I hope the ref wins. I can't understand how anyone wouldn't believe that he did that on purpose.
I hate the guy as a hockey player, but for one he was diagnosed with a concussion from a hit that happened just seconds earlier, and for two what exactly would his motive or intent be to hit Henderson on purpose? The only person who knows full well what happened on that play is Wideman himself. It's tough to justify his actions but there is also very little evidence to suggest Dennis did it on purpose.

In addition to that we are also talking about a 49 year old linesman here who was well on his way out of league. His potential lost earnings would be nowhere near the ballpark of 10M+ dollars. That is lunacy.

This will get settled outside of court and for significantly less than what is currently being floated around.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:20 PM
pigpen65

Why only 10mil? Why not 100mil? Why not 100 billion? Get the hell out of here.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:23 PM
possesthepuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine27 View Post
Let someone break your neck and end your career, then come back.
Nice rhetoric bud . the 10 million is obviously a high amount to try to get wideman to settle. This tactic is used all the time in courts and by omission they know they wont be getting that full amount.

possesthepuck is offline   Reply With Quote