HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Linesman files $10M suit against Dennis Wideman

Old
04-20-2017, 05:26 PM
Alex Jones
BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!

vCash: 500
FWIW the concept that lawsuits in America are out of control is a manipulated narrative from corporate interests. Tort lawsuits and awards in America have been falling for decades now.

Alex Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:26 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by possesthepuck View Post
Nice rhetoric bud . the 10 million is obviously a high amount to try to get wideman to settle. This tactic is used all the time in courts and by omission they know they wont be getting that full amount.
Yeah, I think it's pretty standard to swing for the fences in the initial demand. Doubt he and his lawyers think he will get the full 10M.

oobga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:29 PM
foxygen

I remember reading about Henderson a few weeks ago and was shocked to see he hadn't reffed a game since. I'm surprised it took them this long to file.

foxygen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:30 PM
SirKillalot
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Aho View Post
A deliberate action of a person caused harm to another which took away potential for future earnings. I won't comment on the amount, but on the surface, I think he has a viable case. This isn't a case of "it goes with the job that you might get injured".
I agree with Wideman getting a suspension, but I don't think it was a deliberate hit on the linesman. Makes no sense to try and move away before the hit if it was deliberate. Somewhat reckless, yes. But this should never end up in trial. NHL should sort this out and support their employees with the help they need.

04-20-2017, 05:32 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguuar View Post
No chance he gets a single dollar. Doesn't matter if it's in a US court or in Canada.
No, there's a decent chance that he gets some money, most likely through a settlement. There are many good reasons for Wideman to settle: it would cost him hundreds of thousands of dollars in court, he might lose (maybe low chance, but still), he would avoid going to court, he would avoid it impacting his employment (ex. he might not get signed by anyone this Summer if he's going to be distracted or absent next season) and he would avoid looking like an even worse person.

Quote:
He was suspended by the league which means nothing. Had this been a clear cut case where Dennis Wideman had intentionally assaulted him the police would have investigated this and placed criminal charges.
I think that that's beside the point. OJ Simpson was acquitted on criminal charges and still lost in civil court, costing him millions (which is what led him to write books and pull a gun on people peddling his memorabilia). You don't need to have committed a crime to be held responsible for damages. Maybe that's stupid, but it's the way that it is.

Quote:
Nobody in the right mind can approve of what Wideman did but the only person that knew what was going through his head or what was wrong is Wideman.
Again, that's beside the point. Negligence is punishable, both by law and by the NHL's rules. Intent to injure doesn't need to be proven if the person is deemed to have been negligent or reckless (ex. manslaughter or a high stick).

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:33 PM
chokei

Wideman was an idiot and paid the price for it. The outcome for the linesman is freakish and could not have been foreseen. By no imaginable argumentation should any person on this planet pay $10M to any other person because she did what Wideman did. In no way he caused a $10M harm to the other guy.

chokei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:35 PM
JPeeper

3 things:
A) he should sue and receive compensation, I'm not defending what wideman did.
B) he was retiring after the season ended based on multiple rumors
C) the $10 mil amount is ludicrous and they'll surely settle out of court.

JPeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:36 PM
Dubcheck16

I was at the game and was watching Wideman as he got crushed and then watched him skating off the ice. I have no doubt that he was 100% messed up from that hit. I remember thinking as he hit the linesman that it was likely an instinctual move. Pretty sure he wasn't thinking clearly.

Dubcheck16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:38 PM
DrSanchez
flies like a moron

I like how people are throwing fits about the $10 million price tag on the lawsuit. You aim high, that's how this works.

Steve Moore's civil lawsuit was for $68 million. I'm fairly sure that's not what he got.

DrSanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:42 PM
Sansbacon

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTakedown View Post
Part of the ****ing game. Soldiers aren't suing the Federal government for lost limbs are they?
Uh... yeah, some do, actually.

Sansbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:46 PM
vanarchy

vCash: 1070
If he feels he has a good case, he should pursue it I guess.

I just hope it doesn't open the door for random cases any time a ref is involved in a bump etc.

vanarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:47 PM
PCDiesel

vCash: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJones View Post
Would this be Canadian or American jurisdiction?

No chance he's getting that much in Canada.
It would depend on linesman's domicile, and where the incident happened. If the linesman is from the US then it would occur in federal court since the parties are citizens of different countries.

PCDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:48 PM
Oilers88

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hock...man-for-10-25m

Per the Calgary Herald, the claim breaks down like this:

-$200,000 in general damages
-$50,000 in special damages for loss of housekeeping ability, yard work and hospital expenses
-$10 million in loss of income and loss of future earning capacity.

Injuries claimed are a concussion, a neck wound requiring surgery, and pain, numbness and tingling in his right arm and hand.

The claim for general damages is pretty damn high for those injuries in Alberta. The loss of income/loss of future earning capacity seems high as well, although I have no idea how old the ref or what his salary was.

Oilers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:49 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
No, there's a decent chance that he gets some money, most likely through a settlement. There are many good reasons for Wideman to settle: it would cost him hundreds of thousands of dollars in court, he might lose (maybe low chance, but still), he would avoid going to court, he would avoid it impacting his employment (ex. he might not get signed by anyone this Summer if he's going to be distracted or absent next season) and he would avoid looking like an even worse person.
The timing of this is interesting. Done one day after they get eliminated, so it can seem like the linesman is being reasonable to the team and not doing it during their playoff run, which could be distracting. But it was also done early enough that Wideman has time and motivation to settle this prior to July 1st when hes a UFA. Nobody wants to go to court, so the best outcome would probably be to have everything settled out of court and have it put behind everyone prior to July 1st.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:52 PM
Sleepy
2014 Avenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
I'm Canadian through and through, but that's bs. Suing someone who has caused you to become physically and mentally unable to work is not "so American". You are suggesting that this is unfounded, which isn't the case at all. If someone made it so you couldn't work, would it be "so American" of you to sue them for lost income, to cover medical expenses, etc?
Thank you. No need for nationalistic feces-throwing in the thread. We should focus on the case.

Regarding the injury: I had something similar once, but mine healed. If I had to go the rest of my life with a numb arm even $10M wouldn't feel like justice. It was awful.

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:54 PM
Bob Cole
Tom ******* Brady

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers88 View Post

-$50,000 in special damages for loss of housekeeping ability, yard work and hospital expenses

Injuries claimed are a concussion, a neck wound requiring surgery, and pain, numbness and tingling in his right arm and hand.

The claim for general damages is pretty damn high for those injuries in Alberta. The loss of income/loss of future earning capacity seems high as well, although I have no idea how old the ref or what his salary was.
he's 48 years old and he wants 10 million on loss income? wtf?

Bob Cole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:55 PM
playasRus

vCash: 50
Re: comment made by someone about players should be able to sue refs in the event of being put in dangerous situations, that's what the league concussion lawsuits are about...

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 05:58 PM
mighty all the way

vCash: 758
Wideman hopefully pays something. I thought it was ridiculous when they shortened his suspension. Also, when you have money like Wideman does and you caused something like this, help the family out. I'm sure they would not have filed the suit if he visited every once in awhile to see how the family is doing.

mighty all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 06:01 PM
Burned

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGhost Division View Post
Good, I hope Henderson wins.
You may want to read up a little more on the details of this before running your mouth off...
Your posts only get worse.

Burned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 06:01 PM
Tapu Debe
Serene Grace

vCash: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers88 View Post

Tapu Debe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 06:03 PM
yourbestfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cole View Post
he's 48 years old and he wants 10 million on loss income? wtf?
Obviously he's gonna aim for the fences, but still that's a little ridiculous.

Most people retire at 65, so that's 17 years of potential lost earnings. He's saying he's going to make 588k/year for the next 17 years? lol reaching just a bit.
If the rumors of him planning on retiring at the end of the season were true, he'd be lucky to get 250k

yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 06:04 PM
McGhost Division
Pray for Matthews

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burned View Post
You may want to read up a little more on the details of this before running your mouth off...
Your posts only get worse.
I don't recall asking for your opinion.

Henderson's career is over by Wideman's hand. Hopefully Henderson gets paid handsomely.

McGhost Division is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 06:04 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

vCash: 400
Someone call Jackie Childs.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 06:05 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
The timing of this is interesting. Done one day after they get eliminated, so it can seem like the linesman is being reasonable to the team and not doing it during their playoff run, which could be distracting. But it was also done early enough that Wideman has time and motivation to settle this prior to July 1st when he’s a UFA. Nobody wants to go to court, so the best outcome would probably be to have everything settled out of court and have it put behind everyone prior to July 1st.
That's an excellent point. Henderson would've looked bad, at least in NHL circles, if he'd filed while the Flames were fighting for a playoff spot and then in the playoffs. It certainly seems to be awfully respectful of him to the league, as well as to Wideman. If he'd done this earlier or even much closer to July 1st, Wideman might've been more resentful over the timing and less willing to settle (and at a certain amount). Giving Wideman two months to decide, especially when he isn't preoccupied with anything else, makes it seem like Henderson is being reasonable, even if the dollar amount isn't (but we know that that's just how the lawsuit game is played and not close to what a settlement would bring).

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 06:05 PM
Preds Partisan
Gunga galunga

Weird, we we're just talking about what ever happened to that linesman the other day. I always wondered why he hadn't filed a suit, now I get my answer. Definitely deserves some monetary compensation since it was way outside the normal risk in sport and was deliberate.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote