Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

Sam Gagne declares

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2006, 05:06 PM
JrHockeyFan

vCash: 500
Sam Gagne declares

Apparently Sam Gagner today declared his intention to not report to South Dakota. So unless he is playing another year of Tier 2, is he reporting to the Knights next year?

I'm not sure what other options are open to him.

Old
05-18-2006, 08:29 PM
OHLArenaGuide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
Apparently Sam Gagner today declared his intention to not report to South Dakota. So unless he is playing another year of Tier 2, is he reporting to the Knights next year?
Wisconsin.

Old
05-18-2006, 08:54 PM
trahans99

theres another thread in prospects board with a link that says he's 90% likely going to be playing for the knights next year

Old
05-18-2006, 09:09 PM
FearTheFlyers

His family created a website saying how he was going to the NCAA and made a big deal out of seeling their house etc...

Old
05-18-2006, 11:22 PM
JrHockeyFan

Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagneOwnsYou

His family created a website saying how he was going to the NCAA and made a big deal out of seeling their house etc...
Gotta link?

Old
05-19-2006, 07:50 AM
ktownhockey

He said he's not going back to the USHL. He said the London Knights are looking like the best option right now.

He'll be a knight next season.

Old
05-19-2006, 07:51 AM
ktownhockey

Here's the link that outlines his entire situation:
http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/spor....php?ntid=83974

enjoy

Old
05-19-2006, 07:56 AM
thomasincanada

Quote:

I have to disagree with you here - I think he's coming to the knights. I've seen 2 or 3 articles that strongly suggested that. Not Free Press wishful thinking articles, either.

Him, Pat Kane & Kostitsyn are going to make the knights serious threats again next year. Hopefully they pick up some D.

Old
05-19-2006, 04:09 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasincanada
I have to disagree with you here - I think he's coming to the knights. I've seen 2 or 3 articles that strongly suggested that. Not Free Press wishful thinking articles, either.
I'm not denying he's going to London. I"m just saying the way he's going there is disgraceful.

Old
05-19-2006, 04:54 PM
STS44

Quote:
I'm not denying he's going to London. I"m just saying the way he's going there is disgraceful.

Why is they way Sam Gagner might be coming to London disgraceful? He made a non binding verbal agreement to attend Wisconsin - he is a 16 year old kid who was uncertain of what he wanted to do at the time and has changed his mind. I would imagine a lot of these non binding verbal agreements are broken and the colleges fully expect them by over recruiting. He looked at his options and London looks like a better option at this point for him - his friend Brendan Smith thinks Wisconsin is his best option. Decisions, decisions life is full of them.

Old
05-21-2006, 08:13 AM
JrHockeyFan

Hmmm

Quote:
I don't know all the details, but what exactly are you saying is disgraceful?

I do know that the USHL team he was on was pretty bad.

I am not sure if his parents are playing Bonnie and Carl. But he did play the entire year and appears to be living up to whatever agreements he has in writing. Sometimes people realize that they made a mistake.

Any kid who is pursuing a hockey career without emphasis on education is better off in the OHL. It is an excellent intructional league. It prepares him for a pro-style season. NCAA does not do that. If the hockey does not work out, CIS hockey and a dilpoma is always there after Jr in Canada.

Can't say I have heard anything disgraceful yet, unless there is something you want to share.

Old
05-21-2006, 08:20 AM
JrHockeyFan

Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhockey
Here's the link that outlines his entire situation:
http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/spor....php?ntid=83974

enjoy
Thanks for the link.

I think the story you intended is gone, but there is another related story talking about a BC player named Turris reporting to Wisconsin, while Gagner does not. Is that the same story?

Old
05-22-2006, 03:14 PM
toomanymen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
I don't know all the details, but what exactly are you saying is disgraceful?

I do know that the USHL team he was on was pretty bad.

I am not sure if his parents are playing Bonnie and Carl. But he did play the entire year and appears to be living up to whatever agreements he has in writing. Sometimes people realize that they made a mistake.

Any kid who is pursuing a hockey career without emphasis on education is better off in the OHL. It is an excellent intructional league. It prepares him for a pro-style season. NCAA does not do that. If the hockey does not work out, CIS hockey and a dilpoma is always there after Jr in Canada.

Can't say I have heard anything disgraceful yet, unless there is something you want to share.
Remember, signing w/ an OHL team does not preclude education. My friend was the first overall pick to the Sudbury Wolves back in 83? and ended up having them pay for his university education many years later.

Old
05-22-2006, 09:59 PM
JrHockeyFan

Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanymen
Remember, signing w/ an OHL team does not preclude education. My friend was the first overall pick to the Sudbury Wolves back in 83? and ended up having them pay for his university education many years later.
Not sure if I made it clear, but that is eaxctly my point. Lots of guys who were good OHL players have gone on to play for Canadian college hockey.

I watched several Mustangs games the last few years and there are a lot of guys everybody would recognize right away.

The fringe benefit is also that CIS hockey is much more fun to watch because of it.

I am sure that Steve Rucchin getting drafted from Western didn't hurt to get the ball rolling for Cdn college hockey.

Closed Thread