OHL Draft 2006

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2006, 12:59 PM
ktownhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton28
lol he can speck PERFECT english... where did you hear that?
Sorry not language barriers that was my mistake. Cultural barriers as he's first nations. I don't know ANY of this info on Cooper first hand. One of the OHL scouts I talk to regularily mentioned that.

Take it for what its worth, which is probably just a prediction by him.

I can see Cooper in the OHL

Old
04-29-2006, 09:05 PM
Jack Daniels

Brian LaShoff

Whats happened to Brian LaShoff...he seems to have fallen right off the draft list?

Old
04-30-2006, 03:33 PM
JrHockeyFan

Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by STS44
We can hope Sam Gagner does change his mind - would and a nice touch of offense next season. He is related to Dave Gagner who played in the OHL awhile back? Had heard that Jacques Beaulieu - who had coached the U-17(?) team last season on which Gagner played - was trying to convince Gagner to join the Knights instead of going the college route. He would certainly get a lot of playing time with a lot of the offense graduating/heading to the pro's next year .... Did Basil McCrae play with Dale Hunter in the NHL by any chance? Whatever connection works would be great but as was mentioned Phil McCrae seems to be
a top 5 -10 player ... Stranger things have happened though ....
I am pretty sure that Basil (former Knight) is a part owner in the team. That's a pretty good couple of connections right there

The Kane - Montgomery rumours are interesting. But as yet they are rumours. Kane has been to visit a few times though including Friday night.

Old
04-30-2006, 03:37 PM
JrHockeyFan

well . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhockey
Sorry not language barriers that was my mistake. Cultural barriers as he's first nations. I don't know ANY of this info on Cooper first hand. One of the OHL scouts I talk to regularily mentioned that.

Take it for what its worth, which is probably just a prediction by him.

I can see Cooper in the OHL
With the right support, language is not a barrier. London lined up an interpreter for Sergei Kostitsyn. Speaking no English at the start proved not to be a problem.

He ended up being a popular guy anyway and has started picking up the language.

If the team leaves the kid high and dry it would be another matter.

Old
05-02-2006, 03:49 AM
Default101

They need to do something about the OHL draft, how doe they expect teams like Sarnia to ever get better when guys threaten to go to the NCAA if they're drafted by the Sting.... Logan Couture last year, now Steve Stamkos this year? it's ********, the London Knights will never have to rebuild again beacsue the last 2 year it seems there's a few players that say they'll go NCAA if they don't go to the Knights, something needs to be done, Cody Hodgson will be sarnia's #1 pick if Stamkos declares for NCAA, it should be that if you enter the OHL draft, you have to play in the OHL, and you can only play NCAA hockey if you are not drafted by an OHL team, OHL team's should have restrictions on how many players they can hold and that if they sign them and place them on the active team in say 24 months they can become NCAA eligable, there's still the CIS which would only get stronger by a ruling on something like this, and it should prevent this stuff, i'm sure Millar is smart enough to take Stamkos, this is just the same thing Couture pulled, Sarnia has a history of drafting players that said they won't play for the sting, Danny Fritsche said he would go NCAA if he was drafted by a team other than Plymouth or Saginaw, Sarnia drafted him 5th overall and told him to play OHL hockey this year, or wait 2 years and play NCAA, he stuck with the team, and i'm sure Millar and the fact that the sting have some great prospects in Sarnia could convince Stamkos to stay. Stamkos has a chance to play for a Memorial Cup contender in 2/3 years when he's getting up to his draft year, which will raise his stock and if he's as good as they say he could take a run at the NHL as a 18/19 year old.

Old
05-02-2006, 09:12 AM
ktownhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg
They need to do something about the OHL draft, how doe they expect teams like Sarnia to ever get better when guys threaten to go to the NCAA if they're drafted by the Sting.... Logan Couture last year, now Steve Stamkos this year? it's ********, the London Knights will never have to rebuild again beacsue the last 2 year it seems there's a few players that say they'll go NCAA if they don't go to the Knights, something needs to be done, Cody Hodgson will be sarnia's #1 pick if Stamkos declares for NCAA, it should be that if you enter the OHL draft, you have to play in the OHL, and you can only play NCAA hockey if you are not drafted by an OHL team, OHL team's should have restrictions on how many players they can hold and that if they sign them and place them on the active team in say 24 months they can become NCAA eligable, there's still the CIS which would only get stronger by a ruling on something like this, and it should prevent this stuff, i'm sure Millar is smart enough to take Stamkos, this is just the same thing Couture pulled, Sarnia has a history of drafting players that said they won't play for the sting, Danny Fritsche said he would go NCAA if he was drafted by a team other than Plymouth or Saginaw, Sarnia drafted him 5th overall and told him to play OHL hockey this year, or wait 2 years and play NCAA, he stuck with the team, and i'm sure Millar and the fact that the sting have some great prospects in Sarnia could convince Stamkos to stay. Stamkos has a chance to play for a Memorial Cup contender in 2/3 years when he's getting up to his draft year, which will raise his stock and if he's as good as they say he could take a run at the NHL as a 18/19 year old.
That's totally true something does have to be done about it. Guys cook deals all the time. Check out the article on thescoutingnews.ca they have a free article on David Branch's proposed changes. I wish guys would just play where they were drafted. It's a shame Im a Kingston Frontenacs fan and its bit us a couple of years as well. in 2002 when Wes O'Neil wouldnt go to the O because kingston drafted him. and then the next year guys like Little etc said no way when we had the third overall pick and we had to pick a ktown kid Tony Rizzi who should not have been the third overall pick in the OHL draft. Something needs to be done.

Old
05-02-2006, 10:21 AM
BlueJays

Quote:
Excuse me Ry-Dogg, perhaps you should lay off the rye dawg, especially so early in the day.
Get your facts straight before babbling of something you know nothing of.
I happen to be privvy to the inside information in this particular instance and can tell you this FACT - Logan Couture or his agent or family NEVER told the Sting he would not report to them prior to the draft. In fact, Alan Miller visited Couture 2 weeks prior to the draft and told the family this: "If the OHL changes the draft rules to allow JT in as an exceptional player, we will definitely be drafting you."
Guelph Storm apparently made the same pomise to Couture "if he were still available" to them at #5.
Both teams ultimately made other firm commitments to Katic and Doughty approx. one week prior to the draft as it seemed to them that this was beyond the point that the league would change the draft rules to allow the exceptional player JT into the draft.
And there is really nothing wrong with that (other than they ultimately broke their promises to Couture) or the players they did commit to as they are both great young OHL D-men as well as great young men. Because of the 11th-hour change to the draft rules Couture was simply left in no-man's land without having had the chance to deal with any other teams as all high-rated prospects are normally afforded prior to draft day. In the end, he wound up being drafted by Ottawa who took a flyer before any of Kitchener, Owen Sound, or London had the chance to possibly select him later in the draft. It appears to have worked out well for all of Sarnia, Guelph and Ottawa.
Now you know the actual FACTS and maybe can remember where to place any blame next time you decide to cry 'foul'.

Last edited by BlueJays: 05-02-2006 at 10:30 AM.
Old
05-02-2006, 12:40 PM
velocity

draft.....

Rnd. No. OHL Team Player Name Team Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Birthdate
1 1 Sarnia Sting Justin Agosta Long Island Royals U16's RD 6.01 180 08/10/1990
1 2 Oshawa Generals Tyler Allen Toronto Marlboros RW 6.00 175 03/19/1990
1 3 Mississauga IceDogs John Albert US - Under 17 LC 5.10 160 01/19/1989
1 4 Erie Otters Ryan Amin Detroit Honeybaked 90's RW 5.09 160 06/09/1990
1 5 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds Nick Avgerinos Markham Majors LD 5.11 170 01/29/1990
1 6 Ottawa 67's Conor Allen Team Illinois U-16's LW 6.00 165 01/13/1990
1 7 Windsor Spitfires Brayden Abraham Halton Hurricanes LW 5.07 130 08/11/1990
1 8 Owen Sound Attack Shawn Beauchamp-Lalonde Cumberland RD 6.00 160 03/10/1990
1 9 Belleville Bulls Justin Balbino Jr. Canadiens RW 6.01 180 04/27/1990
1 10 St. Michael's Majors Ryan Baratono Detroit Compuware 90's LW 5.11 190 05/12/1990
1 11 Sudbury Wolves Patrick Barney Nepean Raiders LC 5.10 175 01/24/1990
1 12 Saginaw Spirit Max Barron St. Louis Jr. Blues RW 5.09 180 01/03/1990
1 13 Plymouth Whalers Garrett Beckwith New Jersey Devils U16's G 6.00 150 01/04/1990
1 14 Kingston Frontenacs Kain Allicock Toronto Red Wings LW 6.01 160 02/02/1990
1 15 Guelph Storm Thomas Battani Petrolia RW 6.01 190 10/25/1989
1 16 Barrie Colts Sean Blunden Gloucester LD 6.00 200 09/30/1990
1 17 Brampton Battalion Kurtis Bartliff Huron-Perth Lakers LW 5.10 155 02/12/1990
1 18 Kitchener Rangers Corey Bethune Welland Tigers LC 6.00 185 10/17/1990
1 19 Peterborough Petes Tim Billingsley Cumberland RD 6.01 160 01/17/1990
1 20 London Knights Ned Bowland Jr. Canadiens RW 5.08 165 01/29/1990

Updated: April 27, 2006 - 12:07 pm

Old
05-02-2006, 02:03 PM
Default101

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJays
Excuse me Ry-Dogg, perhaps you should lay off the rye dawg, especially so early in the day.
Get your facts straight before babbling of something you know nothing of.
I happen to be privvy to the inside information in this particular instance and can tell you this FACT - Logan Couture or his agent or family NEVER told the Sting he would not report to them prior to the draft. In fact, Alan Miller visited Couture 2 weeks prior to the draft and told the family this: "If the OHL changes the draft rules to allow JT in as an exceptional player, we will definitely be drafting you."
Guelph Storm apparently made the same pomise to Couture "if he were still available" to them at #5.
Both teams ultimately made other firm commitments to Katic and Doughty approx. one week prior to the draft as it seemed to them that this was beyond the point that the league would change the draft rules to allow the exceptional player JT into the draft.
And there is really nothing wrong with that (other than they ultimately broke their promises to Couture) or the players they did commit to as they are both great young OHL D-men as well as great young men. Because of the 11th-hour change to the draft rules Couture was simply left in no-man's land without having had the chance to deal with any other teams as all high-rated prospects are normally afforded prior to draft day. In the end, he wound up being drafted by Ottawa who took a flyer before any of Kitchener, Owen Sound, or London had the chance to possibly select him later in the draft. It appears to have worked out well for all of Sarnia, Guelph and Ottawa.
Now you know the actual FACTS and maybe can remember where to place any blame next time you decide to cry 'foul'.
I was questionable about the Katic over Couture pick, but after this season Millar did a great job finding him, it was never Couture or his agent that said anything, once it was announced that Tavares would be allowed to be drafted and would be the #1 overall pick it was Logan's father that went out and said that if his son wasn't #1 overall then he was going to go the NCAA route it wasn't a direct attack at sarnia, and there was an article and everything on it right before the draft, if i can find it i'll post it on here, at the time Couture was viewed as clearly the best player in the draft next to Tavares, IMO Katic has closed the gap maybe even pulled ahead of Couture in value, but at the time he was clearly the best player, and it's strange that once finding out that they would be drafted to a team in such a small market like Sarnia the talk of going to the NCAA comes up, and i think rules should be in place so that teams can't use that to manipulate the draft so that some teams keep getting strong and others can't rebuild because this will keep getting worse

Old
05-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Default101

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity
Rnd. No. OHL Team Player Name Team Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Birthdate
1 1 Sarnia Sting Justin Agosta Long Island Royals U16's RD 6.01 180 08/10/1990
1 2 Oshawa Generals Tyler Allen Toronto Marlboros RW 6.00 175 03/19/1990
1 3 Mississauga IceDogs John Albert US - Under 17 LC 5.10 160 01/19/1989
1 4 Erie Otters Ryan Amin Detroit Honeybaked 90's RW 5.09 160 06/09/1990
1 5 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds Nick Avgerinos Markham Majors LD 5.11 170 01/29/1990
1 6 Ottawa 67's Conor Allen Team Illinois U-16's LW 6.00 165 01/13/1990
1 7 Windsor Spitfires Brayden Abraham Halton Hurricanes LW 5.07 130 08/11/1990
1 8 Owen Sound Attack Shawn Beauchamp-Lalonde Cumberland RD 6.00 160 03/10/1990
1 9 Belleville Bulls Justin Balbino Jr. Canadiens RW 6.01 180 04/27/1990
1 10 St. Michael's Majors Ryan Baratono Detroit Compuware 90's LW 5.11 190 05/12/1990
1 11 Sudbury Wolves Patrick Barney Nepean Raiders LC 5.10 175 01/24/1990
1 12 Saginaw Spirit Max Barron St. Louis Jr. Blues RW 5.09 180 01/03/1990
1 13 Plymouth Whalers Garrett Beckwith New Jersey Devils U16's G 6.00 150 01/04/1990
1 14 Kingston Frontenacs Kain Allicock Toronto Red Wings LW 6.01 160 02/02/1990
1 15 Guelph Storm Thomas Battani Petrolia RW 6.01 190 10/25/1989
1 16 Barrie Colts Sean Blunden Gloucester LD 6.00 200 09/30/1990
1 17 Brampton Battalion Kurtis Bartliff Huron-Perth Lakers LW 5.10 155 02/12/1990
1 18 Kitchener Rangers Corey Bethune Welland Tigers LC 6.00 185 10/17/1990
1 19 Peterborough Petes Tim Billingsley Cumberland RD 6.01 160 01/17/1990
1 20 London Knights Ned Bowland Jr. Canadiens RW 5.08 165 01/29/1990

Updated: April 27, 2006 - 12:07 pm
i think they're tryin to format for the draft.

Old
05-02-2006, 02:12 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
i think they're tryin to format for the draft.
Exactly. They ran a few tests like this last year to make sure that everything was running smoothly before draft day.

Old
05-02-2006, 09:19 PM
jwalk

Cody Hodgson will be sarnia's #1 pick if Stamkos declares for the NCAA
Quote:
Ry Dogg - I believe Millar has already indicated that they will take Del Zotto if Stamkos goes to the NCAA.In terms of Millar drafting Stamkos - I can't see the Sting risking the #1 pick overall on anything less than a sure thing .

Old
05-03-2006, 03:22 AM
Default101

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk
Cody Hodgson will be sarnia's #1 pick if Stamkos declares for the NCAA
Ry Dogg - I believe Millar has already indicated that they will take Del Zotto if Stamkos goes to the NCAA.In terms of Millar drafting Stamkos - I can't see the Sting risking the #1 pick overall on anything less than a sure thing .
It's possible but they need offense really bad, thats their biggest weakness is forwards that make things happen, Painchaud is an overager and might end up in the AHL next season, Sarnia struggled without Painchaud, Pospisil carried his load, but guys like Reed, Tront, Lombardi, etc. will all be good players but will never become what Brian Little is to Barrie, and what Wotek Wolski is to Brampton etc. they need a forward who can be a leader offensively, sarnia's big seasons to take a run at the memorial cup will be in 07-08 and 08-09 so they need to bring in a star 1989/1990 forward as soon as possible to get him set in the system of whatever coach they can land, i'm sure they'll get someone good, they took camp over Craig Hartsberg and Ted Nolan... Millar took Camp over the 2 cause they worked together, shows how smart of an idea that was... reguardless they need to go offense, but with Millar's "championships are won from the net out" policy and the desparate need for a gifted offensive forward i believe that it'll be 50/50 betwen Del Zotto and Hodgson if Stamkos pulls a screw job on Sarnia.

Last edited by Default101: 05-03-2006 at 03:37 AM.
Old
05-03-2006, 03:33 AM
Default101

here's something intresting... ISS seems to think that Jared Staal is better than what the OHL draft site lists him as...

http://www.tsn.ca/chl/feature/?fid=9653&hubname=

Old
05-03-2006, 10:21 AM
jwalk

Quote:
It's possible but they need offense really bad, thats their biggest weakness is forwards that make things happen, Painchaud is an overager and might end up in the AHL next season, Sarnia struggled without Painchaud, Pospisil carried his load, but guys like Reed, Tront, Lombardi, etc. will all be good players but will never become what Brian Little is to Barrie, and what Wotek Wolski is to Brampton etc. they need a forward who can be a leader offensively, sarnia's big seasons to take a run at the memorial cup will be in 07-08 and 08-09 so they need to bring in a star 1989/1990 forward as soon as possible to get him set in the system of whatever coach they can land, i'm sure they'll get someone good, they took camp over Craig Hartsberg and Ted Nolan... Millar took Camp over the 2 cause they worked together, shows how smart of an idea that was... reguardless they need to go offense, but with Millar's "championships are won from the net out" policy and the desparate need for a gifted offensive forward i believe that it'll be 50/50 betwen Del Zotto and Hodgson if Stamkos pulls a screw job on Sarnia.
I totally agree that you've got to address the lack of offense -the problem is that from what I understand that Hodgson is considering playing tier 2 in Markham and then going the College route. It appears that he is another question mark. Del Zotto scored well over 100 points in midget and is supposed to be a sure thing,and the only other kid in Stamkos' league. I think you take the best player available no matter what the position.
AS far as your idea about having a rule separating the OHA players from the NCAA ones - I concur with ktown and I would like to see it. The only problem is that I don't believe that the kids declare themself for the draft.

Old
05-03-2006, 01:31 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
here's something intresting... ISS seems to think that Jared Staal is better than what the OHL draft site lists him as...

http://www.tsn.ca/chl/feature/?fid=9653&hubname=
Those are ISS's rankings. Its just another opinion.

Most people ive talked to have Staal ranked between 30-60...his name MAY get him drafted well before that.

Old
05-04-2006, 02:06 AM
Default101

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk
I totally agree that you've got to address the lack of offense -the problem is that from what I understand that Hodgson is considering playing tier 2 in Markham and then going the College route. It appears that he is another question mark. Del Zotto scored well over 100 points in midget and is supposed to be a sure thing,and the only other kid in Stamkos' league. I think you take the best player available no matter what the position.
AS far as your idea about having a rule separating the OHA players from the NCAA ones - I concur with ktown and I would like to see it. The only problem is that I don't believe that the kids declare themself for the draft.
well yea if they can convince Hodgson to come to Sarnia then i believe he'll be 1st overall but it's not too likely beacuse #1 they'd have to convince him and #2 Stamkos would have to claim that he's going to the NCAA, Del Zotto would otherwise be #1 if they can't convince Hodgson to come down, Del Zotto wouldn't be bad to have it's just they grabbed Katic last year, Del Zotto, sarnia already has 2 good defencemen, 4 capable defencemen, and 2 decent defensive prospects they'd had another good one but Golubef is going to the NCAA.

Old
05-04-2006, 11:09 AM
jwalk

Quote:
well yea if they can convince Hodgson to come to Sarnia then i believe he'll be 1st overall but it's not too likely beacuse #1 they'd have to convince him and #2 Stamkos would have to claim that he's going to the NCAA, Del Zotto would otherwise be #1 if they can't convince Hodgson to come down, Del Zotto wouldn't be bad to have it's just they grabbed Katic last year, Del Zotto, sarnia already has 2 good defencemen, 4 capable defencemen, and 2 decent defensive prospects they'd had another good one but Golubef is going to the NCAA.
I guess the suspense won't last much longer as Sting just said that they will announce their 1st round pick Friday at 11 am. Scuttlebut is that it is Stamkos. Also Dave McQueen is the new coach.

Old
05-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Default101

hmm i'll have to make sur ei get on the net before work then... MacQueen i've heard of quite a bit he seems fairly popular but had some real problems winning what is his coaching style? yea they announced their coach alot quicker than when they hired camp in mid july but it's probably the better approach to have their coach in place before the draft rather than keep people guessing.

Old
05-04-2006, 02:19 PM
jwalk

Quote:
hmm i'll have to make sur ei get on the net before work then... MacQueen i've heard of quite a bit he seems fairly popular but had some real problems winning what is his coaching style? yea they announced their coach alot quicker than when they hired camp in mid july but it's probably the better approach to have their coach in place before the draft rather than keep people guessing.
His resume is extremely impressive. Check the website.

Old
05-04-2006, 03:17 PM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
Rumour is spreading like wildfire that the Sting are gonna select Del Zetto with their first pick...

Old
05-04-2006, 07:11 PM
jwalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLyT
Rumour is spreading like wildfire that the Sting are gonna select Del Zetto with their first pick...
That would be Del Zotto not Del Zetto, not what had been indicated to some of the season's ticket holders, however ; either way seems like a hell of a pick. Would be a nice pairing with Katic.

Old
05-05-2006, 12:57 AM
Default101

i'll be disapointed with Del Zotto, seeing as we need offense really bad, but he's clearly a good player i believe they're planning on pairing Katic with either Chimenti or Sample, then again we have a new coach so you never know but last season they had Tuzzolino with Katic, they basically want the best guy who can compliment his skill and protect him, because he seemed to have an invisable target on his body till they paired him with Pelech, after Pelech was traded 6'6 Tuzzolino, then after they traded Tuzzolino Tomas Sample from Sudbury became his linemate,, they want to pair him with a guy who will stand up for him since he stays away from most rough play. Hopefully they can make a trade to land a good forward.

Old
05-05-2006, 10:38 AM
jwalk

Stamkos goes #1

Just announced that Stamkos is going #1 to the Sting. I guess that shoots down all the conspiracy theories.

Old
05-06-2006, 07:43 AM
Default101

the McQueen signing must have put it over the top just glad this is over with, now here's hoping they take Jared Staal and the best Goalie available in their other 2nd round picks

Closed Thread