HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Calder Finalists: Laine, Matthews, Werenski

Old
04-20-2017, 08:58 PM
Narow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
Also, as you are a fair and reasonable Laine fan, I think I should say that no one really cares about all the age related records that the finnish 5 bring up.

The youngest player to have 3 hat-tricks isn't anything other than a foot note in a record book.
Yeah thats true but i do find it impressive to have 3 hattricks within your first 50 or 55 games (dont remember exactly how many games it waa before he had it) would be cool to find out where that ranks amongst every player reaching 3 hatrricks and age is irrelevant.

Narow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:01 PM
Narow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsetter View Post
Laine played hurt the last 15 games of the season. That's why he's not playing in the Worlds. Both very good players.
Source?

Didnt hear anything that he was injured..

Narow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:33 PM
Ropesman

Quote:
Laine played hurt the last 15 games of the season. That's why he's not playing in the Worlds. Both very good players.
Link?

Never heard or read anything about him being hurt. Only thing I seen anywhere was he was concerned with the amount of hockey he had already played leading up to the draft and this passed season.

I find it curious the Jets would ever risk playing him while he was hurt during a stretch of the season that had no meaning going forward.

Ropesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:41 PM
Tommy Torini
Downton Connor Brown

Quote:
Any source to back this up? If this were true then I wouldn't have seen so many Laine fans cursing out Maurice for taking him away from Scheifle, or coming up with conspiracy theories about how the Jets organization was trying to sabotage him so he wouldn't get any bonuses.

Tommy Torini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 09:51 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Two things that really don't have any weight in voting for the Calder I'd imagine, but keep grasping at those straws. It's going to be Matthews.
I stand by what I said.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 10:07 PM
Plural

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
This one is as clear cut as the Art Ross Trophy. What a fun season for us Leaf fans, playoffs and a major trophy for Matthews. It's the first time since Gilmour won a Selke in the 90s.
It's been a joy-ride for the Leafs (and still is) for sure. Congrats for a great season so far and a possibility to knock off the Caps. I don't mean to rain on your parade or anything, but Calder and Selke are not considered major trophies. Those are Art, Hart, Lindsay, Vezina, Norris and Rocket (even Rocket is not slam dunk but it's gaining some prestige probably because OV gave it a lot of it).

Also, congrats for the three amazing Rookies (and all the other one's too, Marner, Nylander, Aho, etc.) and congrats for Matthews for very deserving win!

Plural is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 10:09 PM
HogTown06

A friend of a friend, who has friend who knows Matthews told me he has a contractor already building a case for the trophy. Sandalwood with Pink Ivory lining.

Jokes aside though Jets got lucky in the lottery and ended up with an amazing player and the BJs got a top pair defenseman. So I think all three teams are happy with their rookies but Matthews is in a different level here.

HogTown06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 10:10 PM
TIGERCOOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
I still don't really care about the calder. NHL writers voting for an award is a joke. Analysts, coaches GMs, players should vote. That being said.....

Matthews. Not close, and it hasn't been all season.

People call it a toss up and cite ppg etc... That is not an intelligent argument when you have a 2 way no.1 C on a rookie line.

Tkachuk, Marner, Laine, Aho, Brown, even Nylander were brought in on the wing of vet lines with scoring punch. Points could seperate them, as they are in relatively comparable situations. Matthews was not. He was relied on to be a No 1.C with rookies on his line. Despite this he was:

1.) Highest us born goal scorer ever.
2.) Second in the league in Goals (1st in 5 on5 and EV goals).
3.) Only player to get a shot in every Game.
4.) third in the league in takeaways
5.) Nhl all star.
6.) Set an original 6 team rookie record in goals and points.
7.) Most goals ever in a rookie debut.
8.) First 1st overall to go from last place to playoffs in 20 years.
9.) Only rookie to lead team in Goals and points.
10.) First rookie to score 40 goals in a season since OVY

This has to be the most dominant rookie season in at least a decade. While the stats back crosby/ovy, the team success and all round game put Matthews up there.....

I am glad the whole Laine debate has ended with Matthews dominating. I do find it pretty funny that this thread will have like no one in it compared to how it would have went if Laine were to win.
Great post. It's insane to say it, but a lot of this gets overlooked. I also agree that if it'd been Laine with that list of accomplishments they'd be blowing the roof off this thread and mocking Leafs fans for passing on a generational talent. Not that it'd actually make him a generational talent, but they'd sure as hell tell us he was.

TIGERCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 10:12 PM
Yasuo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogTown06 View Post
A friend of a friend, who has friend who knows Matthews told me he has a contractor already building a case for the trophy. Sandalwood with Pink Ivory lining.

Jokes aside though Jets got lucky in the lottery and ended up with an amazing player and the BJs got a top pair defenseman. So I think all three teams are happy with their rookies but Matthews is in a different level here.
Yup the Jackets got fleeced

Yasuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 10:13 PM
Plural

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropesman View Post
Link?

Never heard or read anything about him being hurt. Only thing I seen anywhere was he was concerned with the amount of hockey he had already played leading up to the draft and this passed season.

I find it curious the Jets would ever risk playing him while he was hurt during a stretch of the season that had no meaning going forward.
I haven't heard anything about him being injured from official sources (and I read pretty much everything that comes out from about Laine and Matthews) but it's not impossible. He's taking quite a lot of time before he starts training again. I don't see why they would hide his injury at this point though. So it's most likely that he's just taking some time off from hockey.

Old
04-20-2017, 10:14 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Unquestionably Matthews's trophy. Werenski would be second on my list, Laine third.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 10:18 PM
Keato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Jane View Post
Alex Mogliny is hurt you forgot him.
Is the Lady Byng considered a major trophy? It always seemed to me like it was more oft forgotten.

Keato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 10:19 PM
Plural

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Unquestionably Matthews's trophy. Werenski would be second on my list, Laine third.
I think there's a very real chance for Werenski to end up 2nd. I would guess the hype around Laine (and Matthews) lifts him 2nd but purely based on level of play:

Matthews
Werenski/Laine

Old
04-20-2017, 10:21 PM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemunky View Post
Whichever one is the good ol' Canadian kid!
Well, Werenski grew up closest to the Canadian border...

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 10:21 PM
Krazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERCOOL View Post
Great post. It's insane to say it, but a lot of this gets overlooked. I also agree that if it'd been Laine with that list of accomplishments they'd be blowing the roof off this thread and mocking Leafs fans for passing on a generational talent. Not that it'd actually make him a generational talent, but they'd sure as hell tell us he was.
The winter soldier (interactif) should have to post Matthews resume every day

Remember those posts every day?
The youngest fin to score a goal after eating spaghetti
On a Monday......

Matthews has an actual list of records

Last edited by Krazy: 04-20-2017 at 10:34 PM.
Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 10:22 PM
Plural

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Well, Werenski grew up closest to the Canadian border...
Is this the first time ever when top-3 Calder vote is Canadian free?

Old
04-20-2017, 10:27 PM
Daisy Jane
trust the vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keato View Post
Is the Lady Byng considered a major trophy? It always seemed to me like it was more oft forgotten.
yup. (or i would)
and ironically enough, Matty could be nominated for it too.

Daisy Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 10:30 PM
A1LeafNation
Welcome to Toronto

I can't think of a case where a rookie scored 40 goals and led rookies in points and didn't get the Calder....Or it if he didn't...It went to his linemate who also was a rookie.

A1LeafNation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 10:31 PM
Plural

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Jane View Post
yup. (or i would)
and ironically enough, Matty could be nominated for it too.
Huh? Byng absolutely is not considered a major trophy. You could argue Selke or even Calder (not a lot of people would agree with you) but Byng definitely is not a major trophy.

Old
04-20-2017, 10:36 PM
Jugitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogTown06 View Post
Werenski was drafted in 2015.

Jugitsu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 10:47 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Franchise Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandPanther View Post
2 way center he's got a long way to go before he gets two way out next to his name.
He absolutely is with the way he's playing these days. Has made big strides compared to where he was earlier in the season.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 10:49 PM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 186
Congrats Matthews!

WPGNYRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 10:49 PM
Plural

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
He absolutely is with the way he's playing these days. Has made big strides compared to where he was earlier in the season.
Yup. You can still see that he hasn't completely found his "mold" yet. But there are times when he's dictating the ice like a elite two-way center. I'd say he's more offensively orientated (as he should be) and will likely never be considered a two-way center in the same sense as Toews, Kesler, Barkov and Kopitar are. But not a completely offensive center like Malkin, Stamkos or Tavares are either. Something in between.

Old
04-20-2017, 11:05 PM
shelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plural View Post
Is this the first time ever when top-3 Calder vote is Canadian free?
'98 had Samsonov, Ohlund and Elias

'99 had Drury, Hossa, and Hejduk

shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2017, 11:23 PM
93LEAFS

Matthews absolutely is a good 2-way player, and very good for his age. Is he a selke finalist or even worthy of getting a vote at this point, no. But he's good and responsible.

Matthews year has been unreal. Laine put up a bigger fight than I expected to start the year, but Matthews has had the best full season by a draft +1 center since Crosby. McDavid's would of probably been better but he was injured. His year was better than Stamkos, Tavares, RNH, Eichel and so on. He finished 2nd in goals while not being sheltered for probably the final 3/4's of the year and was the best player on a playoff team. I can't think of many rookies in the past decade who can make that claim. I actually can't think of any off the top of my head.

93LEAFS is online now   Reply With Quote