HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What's the Blue Jackets' trajectory?

Old
04-21-2017, 06:30 AM
MrSnrub

vCash: 500
What's the Blue Jackets' trajectory?

Did they overachieve this year or do you see them as perennial contenders for the next few years? When does their Cup window realistically open? How do you see their young stars panning out and what do they need to add to bolster their squad going forward?

MrSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 06:48 AM
Hockeyisl1fe

They overachieved, but they're still a playoff team next season I believe.

Hockeyisl1fe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 06:50 AM
MartinMcc
beautvillier

they definitely over achieved but i think they have a good enough team to make the playoffs consistently. once werenski reaches his full potential and they add a piece or two they'll be able to contend.

MartinMcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:02 AM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

We had a fairly decent wildcard/lower-seed team that killer goaltending turned into one of the top teams in the League. So, somewhat overachieved.

We've got a few prospect options for killer instinct forwards, and that seems to be the sort of thing we'd need. That, and for Bob to learn how to handle the playoffs (which, if it's possible, he'll find a way - the guy is borderline obsessive about always improving his game, and the way this series went undoubtedly will not rest well with him).

Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 07:15 AM
Tripod

Great D.
Great G.....in reg. season.
Lots of depth at F.
Good prospects.

They overachieved if you look at the 16 game win streak. But they are a talented team.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:05 AM
Cash for Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSnrub View Post
Did they overachieve this year or do you see them as perennial contenders for the next few years? When does their Cup window realistically open? How do you see their young stars panning out and what do they need to add to bolster their squad going forward?
If they get good goaltending....sky is the limit

Cash for Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:22 AM
Shoofyou10

They have a lot of talented young players but a lot of trashy goons like Hartnell and a trashy coach in Torts that encourages that stuff. Foligno sounds like a mini-torts in his interviews too (not a compliment). Until they decide to try to play more of a skill game and less of a goon squad game then they will probably be a playoff team but wont ever make a serious run at the cup. But they have some very impressive young players. Just hope that Torts attitude and system dont pull them down

Shoofyou10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 08:24 AM
Roof Daddy

Good young core and excellent prospect pool. Legit top pair who are super young. They'll be good for a while.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:07 AM
Kyle92
#TeamLitten

vCash: 50
I think they're a prime candidate to fall off the face of the earth. Bob isn't gonna post .931 again or have a Vezina calibre season again in all likelihood given his erratic play over the past few seasons. Sam Gagner had a career season which he won't likely replicate, Werenski had a fantastic rookie season which he will be hard pressed to duplicate as a sophomore, and the east is insanely competitive.

You got teams like Tampa, Florida, Carolina, NYI, and maybe even Buffalo who are capable of being playoff teams.

Let's not forget Columbus largely made the playoff on the back of that crazy winning streak they had, and were very mediocre the rest of the way.

04-21-2017, 09:22 AM
TheMule93

They're like Nashville

Good goalie, two (upcoming) superstar defenseman, no superstar forwards. Great ones like Saad, Wennberg, and Atkinson though. Who knows maybe those latter two still have room to grow, I think Saad is kinda a known commodity at this point. Good top line winger, not superstar.

I think they have the pieces necessary for a cup run. In a few years they should be even better and much more experienced.

TheMule93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:47 AM
MNRube

vCash: 469
They will be a force for the next decade. Dubois' ability to join Wennberg and Atkinson as top-line talents will be instrumental in determining how good they get. Columbus, like Minnesota, has a very high floor as a team due to their depth and young skill on the blueline. Hard to see them bottoming out.

MNRube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:59 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoofyou10 View Post
They have a lot of talented young players but a lot of trashy goons like Hartnell and a trashy coach in Torts that encourages that stuff. Foligno sounds like a mini-torts in his interviews too (not a compliment). Until they decide to try to play more of a skill game and less of a goon squad game then they will probably be a playoff team but wont ever make a serious run at the cup. But they have some very impressive young players. Just hope that Torts attitude and system dont pull them down
It wasn't Hartnell that was still taking runs at players with 2 minutes left and the game well out of reach. That was Jenner and Anderson. Nor was it Hartnell running the goalie.

So if you want to talk about "trashy goons" there's going to be several players that should be ahead of Hartnell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle92 View Post
I think they're a prime candidate to fall off the face of the earth. Bob isn't gonna post .931 again or have a Vezina calibre season again in all likelihood given his erratic play over the past few seasons. Sam Gagner had a career season which he won't likely replicate, Werenski had a fantastic rookie season which he will be hard pressed to duplicate as a sophomore, and the east is insanely competitive.

You got teams like Tampa, Florida, Carolina, NYI, and maybe even Buffalo who are capable of being playoff teams.

Let's not forget Columbus largely made the playoff on the back of that crazy winning streak they had, and were very mediocre the rest of the way.
Agree with this. Pretty much everything went right for Columbus for a decent part of the season. The odds of that continuing to happen going forward is slim. Probably still a playoff team, but I doubt one that's anywhere close to being one of the top teams in the league.

If you look at their record without that 16 game win streak, they won 51% of their games. If you apply that to that streak (as if they played to the average of the rest of their season over those 16 games), you end up with a team that's barely in the playoffs with 96-98 points and firmly in a WC spot. However given the rest of the East continues to get better and there were some very surprising teams that didn't make the playoffs, and I think it's safe to say that even them being a "playoff team" isn't a sure thing.

Last edited by Riptide: 04-21-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:01 AM
Viqsi
"grumpy grandma"@30s

Quote:

...annnnd here come the bitterly jealous Leafs fans who can't let it go.

Hon, even without the streak we were well ahead of Toronto. We both have good young teams. Deal with it.

Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:01 AM
Vali Maki Sushi
Tuna Vali Maki Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMule93 View Post
They're like Nashville

Good goalie, two (upcoming) superstar defenseman, no superstar forwards. Great ones like Saad, Wennberg, and Atkinson though. Who knows maybe those latter two still have room to grow, I think Saad is kinda a known commodity at this point. Good top line winger, not superstar.

I think they have the pieces necessary for a cup run. In a few years they should be even better and much more experienced.
Nashville has many superstar forwards. Johansen, Neal, Forsberg, and Arvidsson coming up. Nashville's forward depth is very underrated league wide and is one of the most high octane offensively gifted in my opinion. Their defense is also very deadly overall, but overrated from a pure defensive standpoint.

Vali Maki Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:10 AM
Kyle92
#TeamLitten

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
...annnnd here come the bitterly jealous Leafs fans who can't let it go.

Hon, even without the streak we were well ahead of Toronto. We both have good young teams. Deal with it.
What am I supposed to be jealous of exactly? I rather like C-bus to be honest, and I'm happy they had a great season this year. That being said, a lot of things went right for them this year, which won't be easy to replicate.

I am jealous of Columbus's blueline, mind throwing Jones over our way this summer.

Kyle92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:12 AM
KirkAlbuquerque

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeat View Post
Nashville has many superstar forwards. Johansen, Neal, Forsberg, and Arvidsson coming up. Nashville's forward depth is very underrated league wide and is one of the most high octane offensively gifted in my opinion. Their defense is also very deadly overall, but overrated from a pure defensive standpoint.
Being alittle liberal with the word "superstar" here, i think.

KirkAlbuquerque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:16 AM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoofyou10 View Post
My god, the perpetuation of this stuff is hilarious at this point.

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:18 AM
MastuhNinks

I would say that they somewhat overachieved in that you can't expect Bob to have a season like that every year, you can't expect an insane win streak every year, Cam Atkinson probably isn't a perennial 35 goal scorer, etc. but I still think their trajectory is as a contender for years to come. A lot of strong contributions from very young players this season that we can only expect to get better. Do they finish with a top 4 record next year? Probably not but they are still a big threat in the coming years to go on a run.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:21 AM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Quote:
What am I supposed to be jealous of exactly? I rather like C-bus to be honest, and I'm happy they had a great season this year. That being said, a lot of things went right for them this year, which won't be easy to replicate.

I am jealous of Columbus's blueline, mind throwing Jones over our way this summer.
I'm not expecting the Jackets to hit 50 wins again next year, but what makes their season so much harder to replicate than the Leafs?

Also, while I realize I'm biased, I'm really not a fan of the whole winning streak argument. How many other teams, when analyzing them, get 16 wins taken off their record as "not legit"? Say they win 8 games in a row instead of 16 (still a long streak, but happens relatively frequently in the league), and count the 9th as a loss. That would give a record of 42-25-8, good for 92 points in 75 games. If you extrapolate 92 points in 75 games over the 7 that we haven't counted yet, that's still a pace of over 104 points.

You can't just take off 16 games (almost a quarter of the season), and say "oh, outside of this, they went 34-24-8" because that assumes, more or less, that they wouldn't have won any of those 16 games under regular circumstances. It's much more realistic to extrapolate their record with half of the winning streak maintained than none of it.

GoJackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:25 AM
Noldo

Tortorella is not under contract for 18/19 season. I kinda hope that even if Torts wins Adams this year (quite likely), Jarmo has foresight not to extend him but bring in a more skill focused coach after next year now that Torts has whipped the team into right mindset.

Noldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:28 AM
Shoofyou10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
My god, the perpetuation of this stuff is hilarious at this point.
I watched every game of the series and listened to a lot of interviews between the games and trust me, Torts and his attitude will sink them.

Shoofyou10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:31 AM
MastuhNinks

Tortorella coached the Tampa Bay Lightning to a Stanley Cup largely on the back of their lethal offense (Khabibulin's strong play obviously helped too). If you don't like him as a coach that's fine but it's objectively wrong to act like he can't coach a skilled team.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:34 AM
TheMule93

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeat View Post
I guess you have a very loose definition of superstar, then. The only forward they have that comes close to that category is forsberg imo.

TheMule93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:36 AM
SenzZen
I Ain't Even Mad

I project them to still draw lots of salt moving forward.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:40 AM
SEALBound
Fancy Conor McSheary

They have a great roster. Issue is, Torts and their style. They were 100% committed to hitting and goon hockey while the Penguins just skated right by them.

Oddly enough...there is a coach available that may be able to help. Bylsma. With the roster they have, they could fit Bylsma's style quite well. Issue is, they have very talented young players and that is DB's kryptonite.

If they brought someone in that implemented a style that compliments the roster, they'd really have something. As they just found out, goon hockey gets you one game in the playoffs against a skill and speed based team. Tell a guy like Dubinsky to forget about Sid and worry about filling the other team's net.

They have the roster to compete and make a splash for awhile. Don't think they have the coaching though.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote