HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

League-wide jersey reboot speculation [MOD: Jerseys now revealed]

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-25-2017, 12:12 PM
  #76
Coach G
King Props 2016
 
Coach G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: In the corners
Country: Canada
Posts: 402
vCash: 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganhunter View Post
The first paragraph I am in total agreement and it's bugged me since day one. I don't necessarily have a huge problem with logo as a whole but the the Jet nose + tip of the maple leaf spot looks awful and amateur. The proportions are also pretty strange to me.
My own (completely subjective) opinion is that the Jets' logo is one of the better ones in the NHL; it certainly adheres to the basic principles of design much more strongly than many others.
Having said that, I wouldn't be opposed to a new logo, with the current one moved to a shoulder patch. Depends on the new logo, of course.


Last edited by Coach G: 04-25-2017 at 12:13 PM. Reason: typo
Coach G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 12:21 PM
  #77
csk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
If someone can mathematically beautiful
Think a proper jersey design can be a little objective

Like lines crossing over longs
Symmetrics make a difference

And also why is there no pink and brown jerseys? If it's all just an opinion right?

The whole "it's just your opinion" argument is a scape goat
Opinions can be universal, but that doesn't make them objective. They are subjective because the rely on a subject (IE something can't "look good" without someone to look).

csk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 12:27 PM
  #78
HannuJ
Registered User
 
HannuJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronno
Posts: 4,496
vCash: 50
...you guys know that there are 30 other teams in the league, right?


HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 12:55 PM
  #79
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain
 
nobody important's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: a quiet suburb
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannuJ View Post
...you guys know that there are 30 other teams in the league, right?

Las Vegas is the worst. I'm hoping they get a completely new uniform design this year.

nobody important is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 01:00 PM
  #80
Peggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by csk View Post
Opinions can be universal, but that doesn't make them objective. They are subjective because the rely on a subject (IE something can't "look good" without someone to look).
As long you get the point I'm trying to get across

It's not "just" an opinion is all I'm saying

Music is subjective, but the quality of music/difficulty of writing is not

Anybody can play basic C chords
Not everyone can shred a scale
Not everyone can write for entire orchestra

But not everyone is gonna like the way it sounds
But there's logic behind what is being made which is where the appreciation/skill comes from

Peggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 01:32 PM
  #81
ducky
Registered User
 
ducky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,560
vCash: 500
From a design point of view the logo works. I dont particularly like the colour scheme or design for the uniforms though. LOVE the blended 70's uniform with the new logo.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 01:56 PM
  #82
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,099
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
If someone can mathematically beautiful
Think a proper jersey design can be a little objective

Like lines crossing over longs
Symmetrics make a difference

And also why is there no pink and brown jerseys? If it's all just an opinion right?

The whole "it's just your opinion" argument is a scape goat
It's easy to do good design - as someone with a design background and training and 30 years in the business, this I know. It's difficult to do exceptional and universally liked.

All opinions are valid to an individual. They're not all useful in helping produce an exceptional design though. In fact, many of them are detrimental.

I like bits and pieces of what's been posted in this thread - I think the Heritage Classic jersey is a hit (even if they stole the idea from me, as I did a mockup in 2012 of the exact jersey and colour combo - still waiting for my royalties. ), and I don't mind the current logo, as it's simple and iconic. Marry the two, and you have a very nice uniform.

So: even though I claim to have a design background, this doesn't mean you have to agree with my opinion. The only statement I made was that I found it a bit curious that subjective opinions regarding designs are being foisted on us as fact. They're just opinions, IMO - some more fully formed than others, but still opinions.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 02:22 PM
  #83
Coach G
King Props 2016
 
Coach G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: In the corners
Country: Canada
Posts: 402
vCash: 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannuJ View Post
...you guys know that there are 30 other teams in the league, right?

Eh, if you say so. I've never bothered counting them.

Coach G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 02:36 PM
  #84
koth
Registered User
 
koth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,895
vCash: 50
I really love our current jerseys and hope they don't change them. I like them better than the Heritage Classic jerseys, even.

It's an unpopular opinion among the older Jets fans, but I really hated the Jets 1.0 logo and jerseys. I hated the shade of blue they chose, and the logo was incredibly dated, even back then.

I think our current jerseys are the best in the league, but I will admit it could just be my Jets homerism talking.

koth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 05:13 PM
  #85
Yukon Joe
Registered User
 
Yukon Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Posts: 2,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by koth View Post
I really love our current jerseys and hope they don't change them. I like them better than the Heritage Classic jerseys, even.

It's an unpopular opinion among the older Jets fans, but I really hated the Jets 1.0 logo and jerseys. I hated the shade of blue they chose, and the logo was incredibly dated, even back then.

I think our current jerseys are the best in the league, but I will admit it could just be my Jets homerism talking.
I hear ya - I disliked the 80s logo as it seemed dated even then. When they revamped for the 90s I thought they really whiffed when they tweaked things instead of making wholesale changes.

I remember sitting down in 1989 or 1990 to draw out what I thought the Jets uniform should look like. In hindsight it pretty much just copied the then-new and very trendy black LA Kings look, except in a blue and silver palette. (well that's how it looked in my mind, my finished product looked like it was drawn by a 14 year old with no skill in art, since it was).

But anyways - what I like about the current Jets uniform is it partially took what I thought back in 1989 they should have done - if your team is called the Jets, then give it an aeronautical look! I hadn't thought of tying it into the RCAF logo, but I think it's a real smart idea when I saw it.

So anyways... I have some thoughts about what they could do (27 years later I still think a more blue with silver colour scheme would look nice), but I'm sure that what they come up with will look decent.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 05:19 PM
  #86
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient
 
Gm0ney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,701
vCash: 500
The Jets 1.0 NHL original "Ferguson" jerseys sucked. The old pie plate logo also sucked. The only reason people like it is nostalgia...it's a crude and wordy mess of a logo. The 90s update was like putting sunglasses on that mess and calling it "rad!" It was the Poochie of logos.

But that WHA color scheme with the new logo? Bam! That's a winner.

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 05:49 PM
  #87
lakewinnipeg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
The Jets 1.0 NHL original "Ferguson" jerseys sucked. The old pie plate logo also sucked. The only reason people like it is nostalgia...it's a crude and wordy mess of a logo. The 90s update was like putting sunglasses on that mess and calling it "rad!" It was the Poochie of logos.

But that WHA color scheme with the new logo? Bam! That's a winner.

The Jets 1.0 logo is one of the best logos in sports. That logo gets attention anywhere and everywhere.

Jets 1.0 version 2 the mid '90s is a great logo also. Its actually one of the best possible remake of the 1st initial logo. I recall a sports branding company before the Jets returned used the Jets logos as an example of how to draw up a logo. It had everything. The names. the perfect color contrast. Simple.

The current logo is one of the worst logos in sports. It is nothing. Winnipegers like it for obvious reasons but deep down they dont. They forced themselves to like it.

Remember day 1 of the release? lol everyone hated it.

lakewinnipeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 05:52 PM
  #88
lakewinnipeg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
True North dropped the ball when releasing the new logo and jerseys.

Its funny how the Oilers admit and hit the marketing companies hard with a ''we do not want your garbage branding'' it wasn't the oilers brand they explained.

So they went back to the original colors and logo and realized that was the way they were going to grow the new oilers.

so they went back to the originals and made a subtle change to the home jersey.

Thats how the Jets should have done it.

lakewinnipeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 07:45 PM
  #89
Guardian17
Strong & Free
 
Guardian17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,140
vCash: 500
I like the new logo more than the old 1.0 logos.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 07:50 PM
  #90
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,099
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewinnipeg View Post
The Jets 1.0 logo is one of the best logos in sports. That logo gets attention anywhere and everywhere.
Which one?

Quote:
Jets 1.0 version 2 the mid '90s is a great logo also. Its actually one of the best possible remake of the 1st initial logo. I recall a sports branding company before the Jets returned used the Jets logos as an example of how to draw up a logo. It had everything. The names. the perfect color contrast. Simple.
But that wasn't a remake of the original.

Quote:
The current logo is one of the worst logos in sports. It is nothing. Winnipegers like it for obvious reasons but deep down they dont. They forced themselves to like it.

Remember day 1 of the release? lol everyone hated it.
There's that personal opinion thing rearing it's head again. I disagree with this assessment. Who wins? Is it even possible to "win" when it's subjective?

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 09:42 PM
  #91
surixon
Registered User
 
surixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,542
vCash: 500
I am perfectly happy with our current jersey and logo. I also like the heritage mockup with the new logo.

As a kid I must admit that I thought our 90's jerseys sucked and where one my least favorites in the league. The original one has grown on me but it's still pretty meh.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 11:44 PM
  #92
thegr8one66
Registered User
 
thegr8one66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
I think our current logo is one of the best in the league. Same with our jerseys. Don't like navy blue so I'm not crazy about our home jerseys (maybe use more of our lighter blue on the home jersey?). Love the white. Pumped to see what Adidas does with our new ones.

thegr8one66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 12:56 AM
  #93
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient
 
Gm0ney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewinnipeg View Post
The Jets 1.0 logo is one of the best logos in sports. That logo gets attention anywhere and everywhere.

Jets 1.0 version 2 the mid '90s is a great logo also. Its actually one of the best possible remake of the 1st initial logo. I recall a sports branding company before the Jets returned used the Jets logos as an example of how to draw up a logo. It had everything. The names. the perfect color contrast. Simple.

The current logo is one of the worst logos in sports. It is nothing. Winnipegers like it for obvious reasons but deep down they dont. They forced themselves to like it.

Remember day 1 of the release? lol everyone hated it.
As YWG says, it's subjective...but you'll never convince me this is a good logo:



It's mainly just words in a crappy font inside a circle. It's asymmetrical. It simply doesn't work. If the Jets 1.0 had used something else as their logo and they came up with this in 2011, people would've laughed incredulously. The best thing that can be said for it is that it's got a quaint, bush-league quality about it. It kind of captures a bit of the 1970s...a decade renowned for it's awful design: harvest gold appliances, bell bottom jeans, disco...

And the 90s version of the logo is basically the same elements - words in a crappy 90s font, inside a circle. It has all the dated charm of a Chip and Pepper sweatshirt or an 8-ball jacket...which is to say, not much.

The current logo is what a logo is supposed to be: timeless, iconic, simple, recognizable - it represents ideas without literally having to spell them out. The more I think about it, the less subjective it seems!

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 01:59 AM
  #94
bumblebeeman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 570
vCash: 400
My 2 cents are thar I wish there was more red in the jerseys, especially the dark ones which I find way too blue.

I'm not to into the new logo, I find the leaf and the jet to be pretty awkward. I wouldn't mind seeing it without the leaf. But for me the 70s logo is the coolest. Great colours, I like the font, but I'm not convinced it shylould be the Jets full time logo

bumblebeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 07:28 AM
  #95
Peggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
It's easy to do good design - as someone with a design background and training and 30 years in the business, this I know. It's difficult to do exceptional and universally liked.

All opinions are valid to an individual. They're not all useful in helping produce an exceptional design though. In fact, many of them are detrimental.

I like bits and pieces of what's been posted in this thread - I think the Heritage Classic jersey is a hit (even if they stole the idea from me, as I did a mockup in 2012 of the exact jersey and colour combo - still waiting for my royalties. ), and I don't mind the current logo, as it's simple and iconic. Marry the two, and you have a very nice uniform.

So: even though I claim to have a design background, this doesn't mean you have to agree with my opinion. The only statement I made was that I found it a bit curious that subjective opinions regarding designs are being foisted on us as fact. They're just opinions, IMO - some more fully formed than others, but still opinions.
Design isn't just an opinion tho right?
You follow certain "rules" or "guide lines"

I understand the subjective vs objective

Peggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 07:35 AM
  #96
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,099
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
Design isn't just an opinion tho right?
You follow certain "rules" or "guide lines"

I understand the subjective vs objective
I would agree that design is not an opinion - it's a process that does follow rules and guidelines, as you state. You're conflating the process with the opinion of resulting design in the eyes of the end consumer. The rules going into creating the design may have a strong basis in fundamental rules, but that doesn't ensure that the final result is considered successful.

In the end, opinions regarding designs are just that - subjective opinions. This is the only point I'm trying to get at in this thread when I see things like "best ever", or "bottom 10", or "worst ever".


YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 08:12 AM
  #97
Peggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
I would agree that design is not an opinion - it's a process that does follow rules and guidelines, as you state. You're conflating the process with the opinion of resulting design in the eyes of the end consumer. The rules going into creating the design may have a strong basis in fundamental rules, but that doesn't ensure that the final result is considered successful.

In the end, opinions regarding designs are just that - subjective opinions. This is the only point I'm trying to get at in this thread when I see things like "best ever", or "bottom 10", or "worst ever".

You can't draw a square and tell me it's a pretty circle because it's your opinion

If you were to put pink and brown stripes in the jersey and I called it bottom 10 I don't think you'd have an issue with that. As most people would probably agree
But because it's not so obvious it just goes into a circle of "that's your opinion"

Our brains work and see things certain ways. Some people are colour blind some can't see at all
For those who can, can distinguish the difference

But honestly this is just bickering at this point

I think most of us agree that the jersey design is lack luster

The logo could use a touch up too


Last edited by Peggy: 04-26-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Peggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 08:48 AM
  #98
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor
 
YWGinYYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,099
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
You can't draw a square and tell me it's a pretty circle because it's your opinion
Show me where I said anything resembling that - this is a ludicrous strawman, taken to the n'th degree and only tangentially based on my commentary on design and opinions on those designs.

Of course there are outliers regarding design - there are some in this very thread that I think you'd find people would be almost unanimously against (see the crazy Blues jersey). When it comes to reasonable designs, there will always be differences in opinions.

I'm simply stating that an opinion can't be posited as a fact when it comes to something as subjective as design, as many have done in this thread regarding "worst ever" (even though the design is not) or "best ever" (even though the design is not). It's just an opinion. I may vehemently disagree with it, but you're welcome to your (the royal your, not actually yours) opinion.

On topic: I like the current jerseys and logo. I also like the Heritage Jerseys, and think if you changed up the logo to the new one and ran with those colours, it'd be fantastic. I'm sure others (as we've seen in this thread) will disagree. I am curious and interested in seeing what Adidas does to shake up all the teams' designs.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 09:05 AM
  #99
51
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Country: Canada
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Heritage jersey + 2.0 logo + WHA logo as shoulder patch?

51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 09:08 AM
  #100
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 13,176
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
The Jets 1.0 NHL original "Ferguson" jerseys sucked. The old pie plate logo also sucked. The only reason people like it is nostalgia...it's a crude and wordy mess of a logo. The 90s update was like putting sunglasses on that mess and calling it "rad!" It was the Poochie of logos.

But that WHA color scheme with the new logo? Bam! That's a winner.
Ok, this got a legit lol from me at work.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.