League-wide jersey reboot speculation [MOD: Jerseys now revealed]

Old
04-26-2017, 09:17 AM
Jmiller1

vCash: 500
This

I wish
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_1302.PNG (454.0 KB, 31 views)

Jmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 09:32 AM
TheDeuce

vCash: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewinnipeg View Post
The Jets 1.0 logo is one of the best logos in sports. That logo gets attention anywhere and everywhere.

Jets 1.0 version 2 the mid '90s is a great logo also. Its actually one of the best possible remake of the 1st initial logo. I recall a sports branding company before the Jets returned used the Jets logos as an example of how to draw up a logo. It had everything. The names. the perfect color contrast. Simple.

The current logo is one of the worst logos in sports. It is nothing. Winnipegers like it for obvious reasons but deep down they dont. They forced themselves to like it.

Remember day 1 of the release? lol everyone hated it.

Incorrect. Day 1 of the release featured people lined up around the block (literally) to buy anything that had that logo on it. If you check out the archives at Darren Ford's ROTJ forums you'll see nothing but adulation. Correctly proffered adulation since the design was and remains an instant classic.

As far as subjectivity goes, check out the April Fools prank the Lightning brass played on their players. They did a 'third jersey' featuring two rows of palm trees. There was a full range of opinion from 'terrific' to 'terrible'. Subjective!

m.

TheDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 09:51 AM
Turbofan
Just shoot it Toby!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
As YWG says, it's subjective...but you'll never convince me this is a good logo:

It's mainly just words in a crappy font inside a circle. It's asymmetrical. It simply doesn't work. If the Jets 1.0 had used something else as their logo and they came up with this in 2011, people would've laughed incredulously. The best thing that can be said for it is that it's got a quaint, bush-league quality about it. It kind of captures a bit of the 1970s...a decade renowned for it's awful design: harvest gold appliances, bell bottom jeans, disco...

And the 90s version of the logo is basically the same elements - words in a crappy 90s font, inside a circle. It has all the dated charm of a Chip and Pepper sweatshirt or an 8-ball jacket...which is to say, not much.

The current logo is what a logo is supposed to be: timeless, iconic, simple, recognizable - it represents ideas without literally having to spell them out. The more I think about it, the less subjective it seems!
I agree with almost everything you said here about the old logos. Nothing noteworthy about them design-wise; throw away the nostalgia and there isn't much left.

Almost; because I was let down a little by the new logo. Not sure what I was hoping for, actually. Though I like symmetrical, abstracted designs, I find the jet-on-leaf overlap a bit messy. It's alright though, a C+ in my mind. The old logos are D or F's from a graphic design standpoint IMHO.

On that note:

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 11:16 AM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
Quote:
As YWG says, it's subjective...but you'll never convince me this is a good logo:

It's mainly just words in a crappy font inside a circle. It's asymmetrical. It simply doesn't work. If the Jets 1.0 had used something else as their logo and they came up with this in 2011, people would've laughed incredulously. The best thing that can be said for it is that it's got a quaint, bush-league quality about it. It kind of captures a bit of the 1970s...a decade renowned for it's awful design: harvest gold appliances, bell bottom jeans, disco...

And the 90s version of the logo is basically the same elements - words in a crappy 90s font, inside a circle. It has all the dated charm of a Chip and Pepper sweatshirt or an 8-ball jacket...which is to say, not much.

The current logo is what a logo is supposed to be: timeless, iconic, simple, recognizable - it represents ideas without literally having to spell them out. The more I think about it, the less subjective it seems!
This. All of this.

The 90s Jets logo isn't even in that category, IMO. Think more like the crappy Woolco knockoffs of Stussy or Chip and Pepper.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 11:33 AM
DeeQ

I really like the Jets current logo. I like the away jersey alot, the color scheme of the home jersey is a bit meh. One thing I would change is that ugly font.

DeeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 12:52 PM
Evil Little

vCash: 1837
Quote:

[picture]

Well stated. I agree with all of this. Though I will grant that nostalgia and kitsch are both pretty powerful and I don't mind anyone embracing either. You know, as long as they're not incredibly arrogant about it.

I will say, though, that, aside from the initial 'flaming plane' criticism, the one issue I have with the current logo is if they're going to form it around such a non-stylized representation of a jet then I would have preferred something that wasn't a weapon. There's a little bit of Mozambique flag grimness about it (as much as I am well-aware that CF-18s are more important to Arctic sovereignty sabre-rattling than combat missions anyway).

Evil Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 01:27 PM
HannuJ

Quote:

you don't want symmetry in a logo. the Habs logo isn't symmetrical. either is the Red Wings. the symmetry request is just...odd. i'm trying to think of symmetrical logos and...the Leafs? Oilers? Stars? Caine (barf). most aren't.

people like retro and vintage. there's the 25 year rule. clothes that are cool now will be gross in 5-10 years and cool again in 25 years. same with the Jets' logo. i hated it in the late 80s. loved the new logo. i think the 1990s logo is so very, very awful.

i love the kitsch. i love the little details, like the hockey stick poking through the border on 2 sides. i love the "Winnipeg" font. like, what font is that? and, back in the day, it was one of the only hockey logos that had the city's name in the logo. now, you have dallas, vancouver, tampay bay, LA. As odd as that sounds, that logo was a pioneering logo.

the other crazy thing: the team's called the Jets. the jet itself is one of the least prominent features of the logo. like, just think about that. you call yourself the Brandon Pickles and you have PICKLES written in large font and have a tiny picture of a pickle near it. it's so odd, it's totally unique.

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 01:50 PM
Coach G
King Props 2016

vCash: 1097
Quote:
The Jets 1.0 logo is one of the best logos in sports. That logo gets attention anywhere and everywhere.

Jets 1.0 version 2 the mid '90s is a great logo also. Its actually one of the best possible remake of the 1st initial logo. I recall a sports branding company before the Jets returned used the Jets logos as an example of how to draw up a logo. It had everything. The names. the perfect color contrast. Simple.

The current logo is one of the worst logos in sports. It is nothing. Winnipegers like it for obvious reasons but deep down they dont. They forced themselves to like it.

The opposite of this.
Both 1.0 logos are tacky; it's only the nostalgia that makes them less lame.
The new logo is a classic, it's just the jersey design that's meh.

Coach G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 02:17 PM
TheDeuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach G View Post
The opposite of this.
I dunno. I liked the Selanne iteration of the logo but the 1980's version looks a bit cluttered to me. The 1990's version was drawable with my limited junior high artistic skill so that endeared it to me.

I had a lot of hand drawn Jets logos on my notebooks, scribblers, and in one instance on the blank part of an exam paper. Teacher was not impressed; he noted that I'd get a zero if I did that again.

(These days I'd go to the media with that threat and I'd be held up as a hero of free speech!)

m.

Old
04-26-2017, 02:22 PM
koth

Quote:

This is so incredibly obnoxious I don't even know where to begin.

koth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 05:34 PM
DowntownBooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 View Post
Heritage jersey + 2.0 logo + WHA logo as shoulder patch?
I agree with the Heritage jersey + 2.0 logo but in regards to a shoulder patch I think they should incorporate the current 'wings' patch since it looks sharp and the shape is a good contrast to the round logo. Having the 1.0 logo as a patch wouldn't have the same offsetting effect from the front logo since they would all be round in shape.

DowntownBooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 08:57 PM
TheDeuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by koth View Post
This is so incredibly obnoxious I don't even know where to begin.
Just start by pointing out that he's incorrect. The post contains a mistake.

m.

Old
04-27-2017, 10:31 AM
Yukon Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannuJ View Post
i love the kitsch. i love the little details, like the hockey stick poking through the border on 2 sides. i love the "Winnipeg" font. like, what font is that? and, back in the day, it was one of the only hockey logos that had the city's name in the logo. now, you have dallas, vancouver, tampay bay, LA. As odd as that sounds, that logo was a pioneering logo.

the other crazy thing: the team's called the Jets. the jet itself is one of the least prominent features of the logo. like, just think about that. you call yourself the Brandon Pickles and you have PICKLES written in large font and have a tiny picture of a pickle near it. it's so odd, it's totally unique.
I mean I think you have it. By any objective standard that logo is bad. But at this point it's so bad it's good kind of territory. It's kitsch.

But as kitsch I'm quite happy to rock the logo on special occasions like the Heritage Classic, or maybe on a third jersey some day. But I don't really want kitsch to be the primary logo of the organization.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 12:33 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmiller1 View Post
I wish
Sorry, I will toss in my subjective evaluation of that as being something the cat took a violent dislike to.

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 06:15 PM
HannuJ

:
I mean I think you have it. By any objective standard that logo is bad. But at this point it's so bad it's good kind of territory. It's kitsch.

But as kitsch I'm quite happy to rock the logo on special occasions like the Heritage Classic, or maybe on a third jersey some day. But I don't really want kitsch to be the primary logo of the organization.
PEnguins have a logo that features a penguin wearing skates and old-school hockey gloves.
the sharks have a shark biting and breaking a hockey stick.
those are pretty kitschy.

kitsch is perfect...for now. and then, in 5-10 years, they, as do most teams, will reboot it.

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 06:40 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannuJ View Post
PEnguins have a logo that features a penguin wearing skates and old-school hockey gloves.
the sharks have a shark biting and breaking a hockey stick.
those are pretty kitschy.

kitsch is perfect...for now. and then, in 5-10 years, they, as do most teams, will reboot it.
My favorite WHA logo has always been.....

Aavco Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 06:44 PM
DowntownBooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach G View Post
The opposite of this.
I agree that the new logo is a classic and that's why I think they should place it on the Heritage Classic jersey with the 'wings' patch on each shoulder and make that our regular jersey. We would then have the best looking jersey in the NHL.

Old
04-27-2017, 07:59 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

Quote:

Quoted for truth.

100% agree Gm0ney. All of this hits the nail on the head. The current logo truly is timeless and simple. Instantly recognizable. Meshes perfectly with the RCAF ode. The fact it is simple is what makes it a home run.

In fact, everything I dislike and like about the Oilers logo (that 70's retro funky vibe where orange station wagons with bubble windows are hot rides - OT tangent but it is incredibly tacky to me) is the same reason I both like and dislike the old Jets logo...its got a cool nostalgic vibe, look and feel to it but is so misplaced and completely a result of its time, rather than being timeless.

The best sports team logos are the simple ones. The more that is happening, the more convoluted they are, the less iconic they become because they need to be changed...why, because they are only the product of their time. They might have something "retro-cool" about them but they are not timeless or iconic.

(btw, this entire time...since I've read your posts and quoted them over the years now, I have always thought your name was Gnomey as in Gnomes like lawn Gnomes or something only now did I realize it is G-m0ney - going on 6 years later I just realized i've been reading it wrong this entire time....clearly i can't read...but your post is on point.)

I think of my cousins in the UK who give 0 craps about "ice hockey" outside of enjoying playing NHL video games, since it reminds them of a "modern version of pong" ... they simply pick the teams that have "cool colours and logos".... they always/more often than not/ someone always picks the Jets. They know nothing about any NHL team beyond arbitrary colours, names, logos...and they more or less unanimously consider the Jets logo and colours to be fantastic. I don't disagree....we really do have a nice combo of colours to go with the logo

Last edited by roccerfeller; 04-27-2017 at 08:07 PM..
roccerfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 08:02 PM
Wolf357

I like the new logo... it's still so new that there arnt really any memories associated with it yet (one playoff sweep) but once they start winning wearing that logo and feelings will change.
Personally I would take the Jet out of the logo and loose the silver...

Wolf357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 08:11 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH

vCash: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmiller1 View Post
I wish
I know you like this, but IMO this is awful. One of the worst attempted modernization's I've seen.

Simply WAY to busy.

It might work for other stuff, but not on a hockey jersey.

Tom ServoMST3K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 11:16 PM
lakewinnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
This. All of this.

The 90s Jets logo isn't even in that category, IMO. Think more like the crappy Woolco knockoffs of Stussy or Chip and Pepper.

this is the perfect logo. What are you talking about it doesn't work?

The current jets logo is a mess. Its a plane sitting on top of a leaf? and that we know. anyone outside of canada wouldn't know what that is.

The old jets logo 1.0 is pure gold and it does what every great logo does it allows for color stimulation to occur on a platform, in a brand, on merchandise,etc

I can't remember 1 person ever saying the current logo is great outside of winnipeg.

Wearing the Jets 1.0 version 1 and 2 logo people come up to me all the time saying awesome logo, nice jersey, winnipeg jets right on.

lakewinnipeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 11:19 PM
lakewinnipeg

the oilers logo is also a great one. The difference it seems between TNSE and other ownership groups is they know what the fans want and they also know supreme branding. Other owners dont mess with their tradition and their great brand.

TNSE has no brand. They ripped off a military logo which is probably the ugliest logo on earth. The circle with wide borders is pure ugly.

lakewinnipeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2017, 01:02 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH

vCash: 949
People like the old logo because the team left. If the team hadn't had left, then the retro's would get a lot less attention.

Tom ServoMST3K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2017, 08:38 AM
Hobble

Anyone think the shoulder patch could actually function as a suitable logo for a 3rd jersey maybe?! I do like it, but not sure how it would do with a blown up version on the chest.

Personally, I love the 90's jersey in its entirety, but also like the current logo. Think our current blue is too dark, and would otherwise love our current logo on 90's jersey.

Hobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2017, 11:23 AM
DowntownBooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf357 View Post
I like the new logo... it's still so new that there arnt really any memories associated with it yet (one playoff sweep) but once they start winning wearing that logo and feelings will change.
Personally I would take the Jet out of the logo and loose the silver...
If you took the jet out of the logo and removed the silver you would basically have the RCAF emblem which I don't think would be allowed. It would probably make more sense to remove the maple leaf instead of the jet. However, I do think our logo looks pretty good as it is.