HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Observations XVII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-23-2017, 11:21 PM
  #76
Nitrous Mafia
Registered User
 
Nitrous Mafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On Lot
Country: United States
Posts: 3,600
vCash: 500
LOLkane

lock him up.

Nitrous Mafia is offline  
Old
04-24-2017, 05:42 AM
  #77
Pred303
Registered User
 
Pred303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, Tn.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,125
vCash: 500
Well. So Wednesday it is. Same formula needed. Steal one of two in STL, re-take home ice and win our three games here. I expect this one to be very difficult. Already nervous about it as always, but really excited about the possibilities.

Pred303 is offline  
Old
04-24-2017, 05:45 AM
  #78
Armourboy
Registered User
 
Armourboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Shelbyville, TN
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Really all comes down to Allen and Rinne. If one buckles that's probably going to be the loser, otherwise it may just come down to who gets all the lucky bounces.

Armourboy is offline  
Old
04-24-2017, 05:54 AM
  #79
Scoresberg
No more Willy :(
 
Scoresberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,200
vCash: 500
I just trust our offensive starpower more than the Wild's. They dominated but didn't have any game breakers like we do in Forsberg, Arvidsson. It's gonna be a battle, but we're better with the puck and faster. Rinne has to be sharper than Dubnyk was, the Blues are really opportunistic that's what I'm afraid of.

I don't like being the favourite.

Scoresberg is online now  
Old
04-24-2017, 07:55 AM
  #80
Roman Yoshi
Joey: A New Hope
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 7,514
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoresberg View Post
I just trust our offensive starpower more than the Wild's. They dominated but didn't have any game breakers like we do in Forsberg, Arvidsson. It's gonna be a battle, but we're better with the puck and faster. Rinne has to be sharper than Dubnyk was, the Blues are really opportunistic that's what I'm afraid of.

I don't like being the favourite.
Mikael Granlund says hi.

While I get your point, St. Louis has gamebreakers of their own. These teams are very, very evenly matched with good depth at all positions and a few elite talents.

The two hottest goalies in the first round square off. Allen was the only goalie better than Rinne and in a lot of ways, is the only reason St. Louis advanced.

Going to be interesting to see how Lavi plays this one out and what kind of system we run.

Roman Yoshi is offline  
Old
04-24-2017, 08:09 AM
  #81
token grinder
Facts Get Deleted
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alleged Mod Abuser
Country: United States
Posts: 5,007
vCash: 500
If Smith and Wilson are good to go, I would assume Z and PAP come out. I think everyone makes too big a deal about Reaves. He isn't gonna do stupid stuff in the playoffs. He didn't vs Minn in his 8-10 mins of ice time. No sense in dressing McLeod for a staged fight. I have full confidence in Watson and Fisher as playoff policeman.

Forsberg-Johansen-Arviddson
Fiala-Jarnkrok-Neal
Wilson-Sissons-Smith
Watson-Fisher-Aberg

token grinder is offline  
Old
04-24-2017, 08:39 AM
  #82
Pred303
Registered User
 
Pred303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, Tn.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,125
vCash: 500
if this series goes less than 6 games i will be totally shocked.

Pred303 is offline  
Old
04-24-2017, 09:20 AM
  #83
Scoresberg
No more Willy :(
 
Scoresberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Yoshi View Post
Mikael Granlund says hi.

While I get your point, St. Louis has gamebreakers of their own. These teams are very, very evenly matched with good depth at all positions and a few elite talents.

The two hottest goalies in the first round square off. Allen was the only goalie better than Rinne and in a lot of ways, is the only reason St. Louis advanced.

Going to be interesting to see how Lavi plays this one out and what kind of system we run.
Granlund isn't exactly the goal scoring type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
If Smith and Wilson are good to go, I would assume Z and PAP come out. I think everyone makes too big a deal about Reaves. He isn't gonna do stupid stuff in the playoffs. He didn't vs Minn in his 8-10 mins of ice time. No sense in dressing McLeod for a staged fight. I have full confidence in Watson and Fisher as playoff policeman.

Forsberg-Johansen-Arviddson
Fiala-Jarnkrok-Neal
Wilson-Sissons-Smith
Watson-Fisher-Aberg
Agreed with this. Maybe switch 10 and 12.

Scoresberg is online now  
Old
04-24-2017, 09:35 AM
  #84
tampa pred
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
If Smith and Wilson are good to go, I would assume Z and PAP come out. I think everyone makes too big a deal about Reaves. He isn't gonna do stupid stuff in the playoffs. He didn't vs Minn in his 8-10 mins of ice time. No sense in dressing McLeod for a staged fight. I have full confidence in Watson and Fisher as playoff policeman.

Forsberg-Johansen-Arviddson
Fiala-Jarnkrok-Neal
Wilson-Sissons-Smith
Watson-Fisher-Aberg
That is the exact line up that I would roll with. Keep Fisher fresh for the 3rd period when the game is on the line, then push him more minutes.

tampa pred is offline  
Old
04-24-2017, 03:09 PM
  #85
drwpreds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 4,216
vCash: 500
If any of you guys is having a bad day and needs a good laugh, I highly recommend going to the main board and reading the “Kane bashes Preds” thread. It has already been discussed on here a little and several of us (including me) have replied in the thread.

It is seriously the most ridiculous discussion I have ever seen on any of the HF boards, and that is saying a mouthful.

And it has even gotten better in the past day of so- it was pretty hilarious for the first 8 pages or so when most of the discussion was how the Preds play a “boring, defensive” style of hockey.

But in the past couple of days, it has taken an even more ridiculous turn- now the Preds are a highly unskilled team who have to play a trap style to have any hope of competing.

Unreal- I feel like I am in the twilight zone reading it. I seriously have never, ever read anything that was this wrong on any message board forum.

But I guess I shouldn’t be surprised……..

But seriously, if you need a good laugh, go check it out if you haven’t already…..

drwpreds is offline  
Old
04-24-2017, 03:37 PM
  #86
Pred303
Registered User
 
Pred303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, Tn.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,125
vCash: 500
it's the 'something else must have happened thread from CHI fans because there's no other way we could have lost to the preds' thread. Not one CHI fan even thought of 'the evil trap' until kane complained after the series. mainly because they couldn't identify the trap if it bit them in the ass.

We did a couple of unusual adjustments primarily against the cherry picking Kane's line honestly. we didn't run the 1-3-1 trap that we are being accused of now after the fact. we didn't run a 'neutral zone trap' that others are accusing us of (most without even watching the series). We forechecked aggressively almost every possession, with a two man forecheck, and stood up three guys across the blueline and the forecheckers fell back and covered the middle of the ice when they broke the initial forecheck. yes kane got caught being doubleteamed at the blueline trying to skate the puck into the zone time and again, but that was almost always thru good backchecking by our forwards hustling to get back into the play. Yes we took away the high slot and middle of the ice from them in our defensive zone. Otherwise known as 'playing good defense'. All teams attempt to force guys entering their zone wide and hope they can double team him against the boards. We just did it well. ANy team that doesn't attempt to run a low trap against the other team in their own defensive zone is not a good defensive team. That's not a 'neutral zone' trap that people are acting like we must have used.

I look at this quote and his backhanded compliment at the end and just hate this punk more. A sour grapes, loser interview.

Pred303 is offline  
Old
04-24-2017, 03:49 PM
  #87
MrJoshua
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Decatur, AL
Posts: 1,220
vCash: 500
Nashville was definitely clogging up the neutral zone. But that isn't the same as saying they ran a passive trap, like you saw from St. Louis years ago. I think 303 already gave a pretty good rundown of the defensive strategy.

MrJoshua is offline  
Old
04-24-2017, 04:13 PM
  #88
drwpreds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 4,216
vCash: 500
Regardless of how anyone wants to describe what we did defensively, the biggest problem I have (and I admit it flat out just makes me angry) is for anyone to say that we are a boring team to watch and play a boring style.

It simply isn't true and is so far from the truth it is completely ridiculous.

If I wasn't a fan of the Predators whatsoever they would still be a team I would enjoy watching...

drwpreds is offline  
Old
04-24-2017, 04:21 PM
  #89
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 9,810
vCash: 500
Kane was just irritated because he had just shot a 106 with five quadruple bogeys.

I don't care what he thinks.

Drake744 is offline  
Old
04-24-2017, 06:03 PM
  #90
Armourboy
Registered User
 
Armourboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Shelbyville, TN
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
What's even more crazy is them trying to convince us that we just don't know what defensive boring hockey is and we just enjoy it because we don't know better. Fools, we watched that stuff for most of our existence under Trotz, if any fan base knows what boring defensive hockey looks like, its us.

Kane got his butt handed to him for once. He got hit, knocked around and keyed on, you know all the things we have *****ed about this team not doing for years. He hated that he couldn't just free wheel and do what he wanted. Oddly enough the reason he couldn't do that is because Joey and Subban were in Toews head so bad that it allowed us to pretty much put the focus on his line. This is why forward depth is important, and it's the reason tying up 21 million in two forwards is going to kill them until the cap goes up.

You can only get lucky with kids and free agent Europeans for so long. Lavi figured out putting bodies on them and making them either dump or turn it over was their weakness. Suddenly though playing a smart series is " bad for the NHL and needs to be banned ".

Armourboy is offline  
Old
04-25-2017, 01:38 AM
  #91
Scoresberg
No more Willy :(
 
Scoresberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,200
vCash: 500
I'm not gonna say the Chicago series is win is nothing - it absolutely is something - but if we burst out in flames in the 2nd round or even just get eliminated, I won't be thinking that it was a successful run or year.

It was a great start, but we gotta build from there. Progress ends in satisfaction.

Scoresberg is online now  
Old
04-25-2017, 06:59 AM
  #92
Armourboy
Registered User
 
Armourboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Shelbyville, TN
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
It's a big hump, I think the advantagethis group has over the group that lost in Phoenix is that they already know what it is going to take to win in the second round, they know it only gets more intense from here. I don't see this group thinking they have this one in the bag.

Time will tell if that helps or not, but considering they were at this point last season I would see it as a push really. Not bad, but not good either. They did get over a hump they haven't been able to get past before, so that does need to weighed in the outcome.

Armourboy is offline  
Old
04-25-2017, 07:12 AM
  #93
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Schroedingers box
Country: United States
Posts: 26,042
vCash: 500
If we lose this round this season will have the same "one that got away" feeling as 2012. Certainly not objectively a "bad" season but one that isn't very satisfying when you look back on it, although the fact that we didn't just beat the Hawks but we beat the hell out of them will provide some solace.

__________________
Surgeon General's Warning: Shea Weber may be hazardous to your health.
PredsV82 is offline  
Old
04-25-2017, 07:37 AM
  #94
Preds33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 9,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
If we lose this round this season will have the same "one that got away" feeling as 2012. Certainly not objectively a "bad" season but one that isn't very satisfying when you look back on it, although the fact that we didn't just beat the Hawks but we beat the hell out of them will provide some solace.
I actually feel that if we lose in the 2nd round this year, the sweeping of Chicago will be tarnished much like 2012 and the season will feel like a failure, just like how Chicago is feeling right now.

Preds33 is offline  
Old
04-25-2017, 07:48 AM
  #95
Armourboy
Registered User
 
Armourboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Shelbyville, TN
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
I'll be disappointed, but to consider it a total failure, nah.

Armourboy is offline  
Old
04-25-2017, 07:57 AM
  #96
Scoresberg
No more Willy :(
 
Scoresberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,200
vCash: 500
A total failure, no as we beat the Hawks and not only eliminated them but SWEPT them, that's a huge milestone and to beat the "big brother" is great for the future. But as mediocre as the season has been considering the expectations and the roster, to be eliminated again in the 2nd round is a huge disappointment.

I'm not saying our window is closing or anything but I feel like this might be the best chance for us to make a run.

Scoresberg is online now  
Old
04-25-2017, 08:01 AM
  #97
Armourboy
Registered User
 
Armourboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Shelbyville, TN
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoresberg View Post
A total failure, no as we beat the Hawks and not only eliminated them but SWEPT them, that's a huge milestone and to beat the "big brother" is great for the future. But as mediocre as the season has been considering the expectations and the roster, to be eliminated again in the 2nd round is a huge disappointment.

I'm not saying our window is closing or anything but I feel like this might be the best chance for us to make a run.
I won't deny it's probably our best chance since 2012, but I think St. Louis is a pretty solid test for us, frankly almost feels like a mirror match to me.

There is always going to be disappointment after a loss, but any worse than any other year? Not really. Most of us thought this was going to be a one and done team months ago, so it's really hard for me to be THAT disappointed.

Armourboy is offline  
Old
04-25-2017, 08:09 AM
  #98
Scoresberg
No more Willy :(
 
Scoresberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
I won't deny it's probably our best chance since 2012, but I think St. Louis is a pretty solid test for us, frankly almost feels like a mirror match to me.

There is always going to be disappointment after a loss, but any worse than any other year? Not really. Most of us thought this was going to be a one and done team months ago, so it's really hard for me to be THAT disappointed.
That's what makes this season a disappoinment, should we not make a huge run now. This roster has the makings of SC champ, and a coach who has won it.

The expectations were sky high for a reason.

Edit: The only thing that can salvage this season from a disappointment is at least going to the WCF.


Last edited by Scoresberg: 04-25-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Scoresberg is online now  
Old
04-25-2017, 08:27 AM
  #99
drwpreds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 4,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
I actually feel that if we lose in the 2nd round this year, the sweeping of Chicago will be tarnished much like 2012 and the season will feel like a failure, just like how Chicago is feeling right now.
It will be very disappointing if we get knocked out in the second round again- no argument there. Missing a golden opportunity?? Yes.

But I strongly disagree that it will make the season a failure.

We just knocked out the Cup favorite team- not only knocked them out, but SWEPT THEM OUT. And it was a series in which many of our own fans said going in that we had NO SHOT WHATSOEVER, that it would be a cakewalk for Chicago. To me, anyone who thought we had zero chance to win our first round series cannot call a SECOND round loss a failure- you can’t have it both ways.

And now we are in the second round playing a tossup series against a team that is every bit as good as we are.

And you are telling me that if we lose the season is a failure? That the win over Chicago is tarnished and was for nothing? No freaking way……

But can we at least hold off on this discussion UNTIL we actually do lose??

drwpreds is offline  
Old
04-25-2017, 08:28 AM
  #100
drwpreds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 4,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoresberg View Post
A total failure, no as we beat the Hawks and not only eliminated them but SWEPT them, that's a huge milestone and to beat the "big brother" is great for the future. But as mediocre as the season has been considering the expectations and the roster, to be eliminated again in the 2nd round is a huge disappointment.

I'm not saying our window is closing or anything but I feel like this might be the best chance for us to make a run.
Not only is our window not closing, it is really just now opening- of course you never know what the future holds but this should be the first of several years where we will be real contenders.....

drwpreds is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.