HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Observations XVII

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2017, 08:53 AM
predfan24

vCash: 500
For me it depends on HOW we lose. 2012 was a disappointment to me because as well as Phoenix/Mike Smith were playing we should not have lost to that team. Lose to them in 5 games? Total disappointment.

This year will be similar to me. If we come out and play good and STL simply is the better team and beats us I can accept that and consider this season a success. If we come out and get beat in 5 again this season would be a disappointment for me. Though I would hesitate to call it a failure. There is no way STL is better than us. At worst this is an even match up. If we lose I'll be disappointed if it doesn't go 6 or 7 hard fought games.

Old
04-25-2017, 09:00 AM
MrJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
Not only is our window not closing, it is really just now opening- of course you never know what the future holds but this should be the first of several years where we will be real contenders.....
James Neal will be 30 in September. Outside of him, the only "core" players who will be 30+ next season are Rinne and Fisher. If Saros can live up to his potential and step up as Rinne fades, this team should be stepping into a stretch of a few years with a competing roster. The only real hole I see is at 2C, and I think the plan here is for Jarnkrok to keep that spot warm until Kamanev is ready, unless Poile comes across an awesome trade or FA candidate over the summer.

Old
04-25-2017, 09:19 AM
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
For me it depends on HOW we lose. 2012 was a disappointment to me because as well as Phoenix/Mike Smith were playing we should not have lost to that team. Lose to them in 5 games? Total disappointment.

This year will be similar to me. If we come out and play good and STL simply is the better team and beats us I can accept that and consider this season a success. If we come out and get beat in 5 again this season would be a disappointment for me. Though I would hesitate to call it a failure. There is no way STL is better than us. At worst this is an even match up. If we lose I'll be disappointed if it doesn't go 6 or 7 hard fought games.
While it was disappointing we lost in 2012, to compare that team in any way to this team seems crazy to me. That team had AK, SK Jon Blum and Hall Gill for gosh sakes. It was pretty much a miracle that we made it to the second round at all.

This team is SO much better in every way.

Old
04-25-2017, 09:53 AM
FossilFndr

Any word on Wilson?

Old
04-25-2017, 09:55 AM
TitansVolsPreds615

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilFndr View Post
Any word on Wilson?
He's been practicing full speed. I would bet on him being in Wednesday night.

Old
04-25-2017, 10:22 AM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
While it was disappointing we lost in 2012, to compare that team in any way to this team seems crazy to me. That team had AK, SK Jon Blum and Hall Gill for gosh sakes. It was pretty much a miracle that we made it to the second round at all.

This team is SO much better in every way.
but THAT team was in a better position playing a clearly inferior Phoenix team, hot goalie or not. We are playing a certainly equal, arguably better-than-us StL team....

But if we're talking disappointing Preds teams, it's still the 07 team that is the greatest disappointment, I think..... 6 20+ goal scorers, another 3 in the high teens.....granted, Sully was out, but Kariya and Hartnell totally disappeared in the POs, and while Marty was banged up a bit he didn't contribute a ton in the 3 he played, either. and Vokie just wasn't very good, after a pretty strong season. that team had 3 lines as good as you're gonna' have in the POs, it had 2 pairs pretty close to what we're icing now, and a darned good 3rd pair. THAT was a truly dismal performance. Only good thing about it was it drove Liarpold outta' town.....

And if we lose to StL, even though they are a very good opponent, with all the hype and talent of this bunch, I'm not sure this team doesn't sit in our guts like the 07 one....

Old
04-25-2017, 11:25 AM
predfan24

Had Sully not went down that year the top 3 lines would have looked like

Kariya-Legwand-Erat
Dumont-Arnott-Sully
Hartnell-Peter Fn Forsberg-Radulov

Unbelievable lineup. Even with Sully out and moving Harts up to the second line Fiddler came in and did a respectable job with Foppa and Rads. The defense was super talented too but they were green and a little soft. Jumbo Joe ate them up. I ageee that was the biggest disappointment though.

Old
04-25-2017, 02:08 PM
token grinder
Facts Get Deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
If we lose this round this season will have the same "one that got away" feeling as 2012. Certainly not objectively a "bad" season but one that isn't very satisfying when you look back on it, although the fact that we didn't just beat the Hawks but we beat the hell out of them will provide some solace.
nah. The feeling of expecting to get through the Yotes to preparing for a series that will be decided on a few bounces is different. I won't be shocked if either team won like I was shocked when we lost in 12

Old
04-25-2017, 02:20 PM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
nah. The feeling of expecting to get through the Yotes to preparing for a series that will be decided on a few bounces is different. I won't be shocked if either team won like I was shocked when we lost in 12
I'm not saying I'll be surprised if we lose. It's a toss up series. But I'll be very disappointed. Much like I knew if UK could just beat UNC they would win it all, and when they didn't I had a real sense of "coulda, shoulda", I think if we can win this series we can win it all

04-25-2017, 02:20 PM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I still refuse to believe that Phoenix "won" and we "lost".

We outplayed them and Mike Smith played out of his mind and they happened to win 4 times and lose only once because of it. Then they promptly got bounced in the next round by an 8 seed that was on fire.

Sound familiar??

Old
04-25-2017, 02:43 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post

We outplayed them and Mike Smith played out of his mind and they happened to win 4 times and lose only once because of it. Then they promptly got bounced in the next round by an 8 seed that was on fire.

Sound familiar??
I also look back at the Phoenix series as one that we should have won. But I do think we are selling the Coyotes a little short here. They easily defeated the Blackhawks in round 1, winning all 3 games in Chicago. And although they lost in 5 to the Kings, they played them about as tough as anyone else did that year- the Kings just steamrolled everyone.

But I still remember that series like it was yesterday. We completely outplayed them in game 1 and should have won that game. But we didn’t, and came home down 2-0. But in the next 3 games, we held Phoenix to a total of 3 goals in 3 games and still lost two of them. In the two home games (game 3 and 4) the Coyotes scored a TOTAL of 1 goal and we still only split those two. Even with the off ice drama we should have at least taken that series to 6 or 7 game. Very frustrating indeed.

But I will agree that our team this year is so much better than that team it is ridiculous…

Old
04-25-2017, 02:46 PM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Quote:

Sound familiar??
We didn't outplay them at all. Tippett played a hard neutral zone trap and Trotz had absolutely no answer for it. We had skilled forwards that were forced to try to chip it in and would lose the puck every single time. We were soundly beaten in that series from top to bottom.

04-25-2017, 03:21 PM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
We didn't outplay them at all. Tippett played a hard neutral zone trap and Trotz had absolutely no answer for it. We had skilled forwards that were forced to try to chip it in and would lose the puck every single time. We were soundly beaten in that series from top to bottom.
actually, we were raduloved.......

Old
04-25-2017, 03:31 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
See my post above- I agree we didn't outplay them but no way I would call that a series in which we were "beaten soundly". The only game we were not in was game two. Three of the games were one goal losses.

We outplayed them in game 1 and lost in OT, and lost games four and five 1-0 and 2-1.

Old
04-25-2017, 04:25 PM
tnvol

Wow talk about doom and gloom over on the Pens board. None of them think they can win.

Old
04-25-2017, 04:34 PM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

Old
04-25-2017, 04:47 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:

Sound familiar??
We were disappointing but I wouldn't go that far. I loathe when fans of other teams undermine our victories by over-emphasizing their team's deficiencies and I think the same plays out in this case. Smith was absolutely the main cog of our loss, but I struggle to downplay the Coyotes performance as a whole considering we lost it in 5 and never came close to leading the series.

Old
04-25-2017, 05:06 PM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
We were disappointing but I wouldn't go that far. I loathe when fans of other teams undermine our victories by over-emphasizing their team's deficiencies and I think the same plays out in this case. Smith was absolutely the main cog of our loss, but I struggle to downplay the Coyotes performance as a whole considering we lost it in 5 and never came close to leading the series.
Point taken, I just can't stand Mike Smith.

As a team I have zero issue with the Coyotes. Other than Mike Smith.

Old
04-25-2017, 05:28 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
My stars.
That is a first. Go Nashville!

Old
04-25-2017, 06:25 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

OK, nuf' of this "If we lose, will it be a failure" or "How will this disappointment rank if we lose" stuff. We are a very good team, playing a very good team, with both teams playing their best right now. It's gonna be a great series. Lets rank the result AFTER we get the result.

Lets live in the moment and soak it in. Unlike the Hawks series, this will likely be roller coaster ride, and there's a height line, so cowboy up and let's win this thing!!!!!

Old
04-25-2017, 07:56 PM
LCPreds

Yah screw the typical doom and gloom woe the preds talk. We're doing this thing.

Old
04-25-2017, 08:19 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Point taken, I just can't stand Mike Smith.

As a team I have zero issue with the Coyotes. Other than Mike Smith.
No argument here.

Old
04-26-2017, 06:30 AM
FossilFndr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPreds View Post
Yah screw the typical doom and gloom woe the preds talk. We're doing this thing.
maybe by predicting failure our ultimate victory will be sweeter for them.

Old
04-26-2017, 06:35 AM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

I'm really glad we didn't have to wait until Friday to get started. The speculation and prognostication is getting repetitive and tedious.

Drop the puck.

Come out fast, punch them right in the nose.

Score early, get in Allens head, make them play from behind.

Win. Just freaking win.

Old
04-26-2017, 06:39 AM
FossilFndr

Jonesey, the GDT is on you. Keep the streak going.

Closed Thread