HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Biggest Pleasant Surprise This Season?

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2003, 11:17 AM
DiPietro

vCash: 500
Biggest Pleasant Surprise This Season?

Whos the player that surprised you with his play the most. And do you think he/they will keep it up and for how long?
I will name 3 players that surprised me the most:
1) Oleg Kvasha(Hes really becoming a player that Milbury though him to be. Improved his strenght, his balance and is looking determined as never before) Reason(Probably got a girlfriend, he he)
2)Polish Prince(really nice surprise, did not think he could get back to the way hes playing after the Montreal fiasco. Also plays like he cares, backchecks and everything)Reason(Trying to prove to people that hes not what they thought he is after being humiliated by Montreal)
3)Rick/Peca(I'd give it to these 2 guys. I thought that Ricky would be much better this season, but I did not expect Peca to be the way he is. He never stood up for his team mates, before the game vs Atlanta. And hes looking the best I ever seen him play)Reason(Prove that they are what people expected them to be.)

Old
10-20-2003, 11:48 AM
CREW99AW

1).DiPietro has played very solidly.Made some big saves when called upon.He's not overplaying the puck.
2).Chow's efforts are a surprise,especially after being put on training camp waivers.I expected Chow to be bought out.
3).Kvasha's efforts at both ends of the ice.

Old
10-20-2003, 10:58 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

As an objective outsider, Czerkawski's performance sure caught my eye. I mean, in only 5 games he's already achieved what took him over 1/2 a season to do.

Sometimes a change of scenery is all that's needed. Hmf.

Old
10-21-2003, 02:45 AM
Islanders4Cups

The keys to this season have been stelllar, though we are talking only 5 games here.

1) DiPietro
2) 1st Line
3) Michael Peca

Old
10-21-2003, 05:52 AM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Won't state the obvious guys

but Eric Cairns has really improved his game this year

Old
10-21-2003, 06:54 AM
blitzkriegs

the team's recovery from the Game 1 disaster. They have just settled in and played exceptionally well since then.

Old
10-22-2003, 09:11 AM
Moosie

Biggest Pleasant Surprise

Kvasha, Kvasha, Kvasha. He is keeping his focus and taking care of business. I know the team hasn't played any tough teams yet (Washington isn't that tough, they just have some voodoo going), but they're off to a good start.

Old
10-22-2003, 11:06 AM
Tom Liodice

Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
Kvasha, hands down. He's been using his body, and speed more to his advantage and it's paying off perfectly. Czerkawski has been silencing critics as well. 5 goals in 5 games. Just think, he had 4 goals all last season..

~TL

Old
10-23-2003, 07:00 AM
Smash255

Send a message via AIM to Smash255
Peca isn't much of a suprise. He is actually healthy this year &it shows.

1. Czerkawski has definatley been a suprise, I knew he was going to do better than he diid last year with Montreal, but he is actually playing hard for more than a game or 2.

2. Dipietro has been a suprise, I thought he was going to be good, and although its still early I never expected him to be this good.

3. Kvasha, pretty much same reason as Czerkawski. Knew he had the talent, just a question of passion & heart which he has been playing with this year

Honorable Mention Eric Cairns. He is never going to be a world class skater that is known, but he has played much beteer defensivley & in his zone then he has in the past..

Old
10-23-2003, 09:49 AM
Capt Reynolds

Biggest surprises:

(1) Kvasha. Even during he hot streaks in the past he never really played hard or with focus for an entire game. This year, sure, he's putting up some nice points so far, but the bigger surprise is that shift in, shift out he is working hard and focused. A perfect example of the "new" Kvasha is his goal the other night. Last season he wouldn't have been in front of the net or, if he happened to be there, he'd have his head in the clouds and his stick not on the ice. This season, he's parking himself in front, refusing to be moved, and looking for the pass. I was as big a doubter of this guy as there was, and it's still early, but he has looked fantastic.

(2) DiPietro. Looked extremely shaky post-Ozzy trade last year. This year, he has been great at times and, almost more importantly, he's been solid and steady. You want those flashes of greatness too, but to me, the bigger surprise is the steadyness. After all, last year he would make the great save too but his head would then get foggy and he'd wander wander wander.

(3) The first line, collectively. Kvasha. Czerk. Yashin. Let's break this down. Kvasha and Czerk. Two guys who showed little chemistry in the past with Yashin but who this year seemed like they were made to play with him. Yashin, Kvasha and Czerk, three guys who 'back check' was just something a chiropractor did, this year they are hustling, digging in corners, hitting, and, yes, backchecking. They won't win any Selkes, but they are playing with a collective grit and passion I never would have expected. Perhaps the best proof is that for the first time in years when someone says "the first line," we know exactly who that means.

Honorable mention goes to Stirling. I had liked what I heard about him but there was little to distinguish him from any of the other "this guy has a great minor league record" coaches we've seen in Milbury's tenure. Looks like Milbury may have *finally* picked the right guy: all I can say to that is if you fire and hire enough coaches eventually one of them *has to* be good, it's just the law of averages.

Old
10-23-2003, 10:53 AM
BIG FAN

Biggest surprise this year has to be Stirling. He has guys playing to their full potential - guys who typically have been underachievers in previous years (Czerkawski, Kvasha etc..)

Stirling seems to be getting the line match-ups he wants every game and is out coaching the opposition every game so far (with the exception of opening night).

Old
10-23-2003, 12:50 PM
Smith31

How about the PP???

I haven't seen the PP look this good since stretches of 1993 with Turgeon feeding passess to King in front of the net.

Same goes with the 1st line. Dominant. I am going to say no more because I feel that if I do, I will jinx it.

Old
10-24-2003, 12:30 AM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith31
I haven't seen the PP look this good since stretches of 1993 with Turgeon feeding passess to King in front of the net.

Same goes with the 1st line. Dominant. I am going to say no more because I feel that if I do, I will jinx it.
Argh! Smitty, apparently you said too much! You jinxed us last night! :p

Just kidding. Everyone has an off night, and this was our first game against another good trapping team. We need to learn to fight through a good trap is all, and we hadn't faced it yet. Here's looking for some redemption against the Pens Saturday!

Old
10-24-2003, 06:50 AM
Koltsov71

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C.
Here's looking for some redemption against the Pens Saturday!
Don't bet on it!

Closed Thread