HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trading, Signing, Releasing

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2006, 10:28 PM
Hfbk2006

vCash: 500
Trading, Signing, Releasing

Nylander and Kasper cost the Rangers $6m.

For that money, they can sign Chara, and trade Nylander for a first round pick and maybe even a prospect. If Kasper isn't an FA, they can get something for him also.

Nylander would then be replaced up front by Immonen or Dawes.

Hossa (600), Nieminen (700), Roszival (700), Rucchin (2.3) and Ward (600) are almost $5 million. Plus, the Rangers will have some room under the salary cap.

That should allow them to sign either Redden or McCabe.

Offense would be a little worse without Nylander (others would be replacable within the system), but defense would be enormously better.

Tyutin-Chara
Redden-Staal
Pock-Malik

That's a phenomenal defense.

Old
02-13-2006, 10:36 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

We will have MORE then enough money to spend this summer without trading away Kaspar or Nylander, The Cap is suppose to go up to about 45 million for starters and I don't remember the exact salary our team is at but its about 6 million less then the cap right now.

Old
02-13-2006, 10:49 PM
SML

[QUOTE=Hfbk2006]Nylander and Kasper cost the Rangers $6m.

For that money, they can sign Chara, and trade Nylander for a first round pick and maybe even a prospect. If Kasper isn't an FA, they can get something for him also.

QUOTE]
I don't know where you live, but in my world, NOBODY is giving you a first round pick for Michael Nylander. He is a very one dimensional center. He's not worth a first rounder at his age and price. And I would put our chances of getting BOTH Chara and Redden at about... well, zero. I wish it could happen as much as you, but it's not very realistic.

Old
02-13-2006, 11:42 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
We will have MORE then enough money to spend this summer without trading away Kaspar or Nylander, The Cap is suppose to go up to about 45 million for starters and I don't remember the exact salary our team is at but its about 6 million less then the cap right now.

And you have to figure that whether Poti comes back or not, he's not coming back at his current price.

Old
02-13-2006, 11:52 PM
BigE

[QUOTE=SML]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hfbk2006
I don't know where you live, but in my world, NOBODY is giving you a first round pick for Michael Nylander. He is a very one dimensional center. He's not worth a first rounder at his age and price.
Yes, sir.

As for the defenseman on the market, I think we stand a good chance to nab Chara should Ottawa fall out of the picture (although I still think he wants to be there). I'd love nothing more than to have big-Z out on the line for our first NYR vs. NYI match-up...too bad Milbury won't be there to witness it first-hand.

And for the record, if I had my choice between the two I'd take Chara.

Old
02-14-2006, 12:01 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
And you have to figure that whether Poti comes back or not, he's not coming back at his current price.
I think he makes something like $2.5 million this year and I believe someone will offer him at least a million more in the offseason.

Old
02-14-2006, 12:48 AM
frohli44

Send a message via ICQ to frohli44 Send a message via AIM to frohli44
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494
I think he makes something like $2.5 million this year and I believe someone will offer him at least a million more in the offseason.
No, this is the exact type of deal that GM's have learned not to make. A decent year by Poti all in all, but he will not warrant anywhere near the 3.5 million price ranger.

Old
02-14-2006, 01:21 AM
eco's bones

Poti is going to take a pay cut. His game has improved overall but his offensive game apart from maybe one season has never really been there. Now he may wait around all summer long hoping for someone to give him a raise. I don't see it happening.

Old
02-14-2006, 05:06 AM
bigblue21

Yeah, Kaspar is not getting traded. He is the leader of this defense and a big presence in the locker room. Not a chance.

Old
02-14-2006, 06:29 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hfbk2006
Nylander and Kasper cost the Rangers $6m.

Hossa (600), Nieminen (700), Roszival (700), Rucchin (2.3) and Ward (600) are almost $5 million. Plus, the Rangers will have some room under the salary cap.

That should allow them to sign either Redden or McCabe.

Offense would be a little worse without Nylander (others would be replacable within the system), but defense would be enormously better.

Tyutin-Chara
Redden-Staal
Pock-Malik

That's a phenomenal defense.
Nylander signed for at least another year. Kaspar is not getting dealt. Ward is not going anywhere. Niemenen is signed for another year. And, I highly doubt Roszival will not be re-signed. The Rangers are likely to re-sign Sykora, Straka and Roszival, while letting Poti, Rucchin and Rucinsky go, thereby leaving enough room to sign two off-season UFAs...a top D-man and a center with size who can play on the 2nd line. Most likely we'll see Staal get every opportunity to make the team next camp. Baranka will also get a shot, as will Pock.

Old
02-14-2006, 06:55 AM
shoothepuck

I agree, Baranka, Staal and Pock, should be given a good look and should make the club. Poti shouldn't be resigned, and Kasper and Nylander should stay. I don't know if they let Rucinsky go, because he sets up Sykora and Jagr well, and can score, and is not easily replaced right now, but let's see if they sign a big physical center, and a D. Problem is Chara most likely gets locked up and stays where he is, and Redden will cost.

Old
02-14-2006, 07:01 AM
Kluivert4Ever

Lets put it simple.

We are in good shape.

Old
02-14-2006, 08:04 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494
I think he makes something like $2.5 million this year and I believe someone will offer him at least a million more in the offseason..
Are you kidding me? Someone offering Poti $3.5m? Come on. Poti will be luck not to take at least $1m paycutt, let alone get such a raise. Witt can only hope to make a $3.5m contract on the market, and you are lumping in Poti into that range?

Old
02-14-2006, 10:18 AM
KasparKrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by njranger21
Yeah, Kaspar is not getting traded. He is the leader of this defense and a big presence in the locker room. Not a chance.
besides that he makes 3.34 million... i think he makes a little too much money for someone to want him

Old
02-14-2006, 10:23 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck
I agree, Baranka, Staal and Pock, should be given a good look and should make the club. Poti shouldn't be resigned, and Kasper and Nylander should stay. I don't know if they let Rucinsky go, because he sets up Sykora and Jagr well, and can score, and is not easily replaced right now, but let's see if they sign a big physical center, and a D. Problem is Chara most likely gets locked up and stays where he is, and Redden will cost.
A couple of factors - the cap is slated to go up around $3 million to $42 million. The Rangers are anywhere from $4 to $6 million under the cap. The slots occupied by Rucchin and Poti should give you an idea of how the Rangers would have available for each. Both make around $2.3 million. If you don't re-sign Rucinsky, allowing a younger player a chance to win a spot, there may be around $10-12 million available for adding a D-man and a center.

Old
02-14-2006, 11:20 AM
frozenrubber

POTI Salary

Even though I hate the guy, Tom Poti will garner Malik money (2.5 million). Free Agency has never been the true worth of a player, just what people are willing to spend. Couple his solid 2nd half, him being 28, and his past offensive stats (in hind sight, should give all those points to Leetch), Tom Poti will get 2.5 million.

Let us also not forget, Tom is extremely arbitration happy and money hungry. Unlike some players who would accept a hometown discount, he has always been pursuing higher and higher salaries.

Old
02-14-2006, 11:45 AM
frohli44

Send a message via ICQ to frohli44 Send a message via AIM to frohli44
What is the deal with Roszival. Is he an RFA? Doesnt that mean that we have a right to match any offer or get compensation as long as we make a qualifying offer of 110% which I think we would do. If another team signs him to a nice contract, if we dont match would we get some draft picks? Anybody know the details about the Rozy situation?

Old
02-14-2006, 12:12 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber
Even though I hate the guy, Tom Poti will garner Malik money (2.5 million).
Both are overpaid. The opinions on this board on Malik vary, but nearly everyone agrees that he is extremely overpaid and would have diffuculty getting such a contract again on the open market.

Quote:
Free Agency has never been the true worth of a player, just what people are willing to spend.
And the salary cap era will curb such absurd salaries. Poti has no chance of getting such a contract.

Quote:
Couple his solid 2nd half, him being 28, and his past offensive stats (in hind sight, should give all those points to Leetch), Tom Poti will get 2.5 million.
A 28 year old offensive defenseman who has all of 15 assists is not going to garner such a high salary.

Quote:
Let us also not forget, Tom is extremely arbitration happy and money hungry. Unlike some players who would accept a hometown discount, he has always been pursuing higher and higher salaries.
Great, then he can pursue it elsewhere.

Old
02-14-2006, 12:19 PM
frozenrubber

free agency

I'm one of many that thinks 2.5 for a Malik like player is too much. But you are way off in regards to salaries. Last year's rates will be bargains this offseason. Traditional spenders were cash strapped and many played conservatively. With the additional 6 million of cap space and with many teams financial house in order, just get ready for this offseason's ridiculous rates. The extra 6 million in cap space will be used like found money by many unresponsible teams. Heck, an active Toronto will boost signings 10%.

Old
02-14-2006, 03:31 PM
robertch

Kaspar's contract will pretty much keep him a ranger till its end, unless the trade brought back another high salary guy in return. Besides, I like Kaspar and what he brings to this team. He's not a guy I would move. I say cut Poti loose and see if Staal can pick up the puck moving defenseman slack. I wouldn't sink a lot of money into either Redden or Chara personally. The strength of this team stems in large part from selective free agent additions. No one major guy (I'm talking free agents signings here, not Jagr) who is supposed to handle a huge load in and of himself.

Straka, Rucinsky, etc were all signed because of the potential to facilitate the success of guys like Jagr (which they've done perfectly thus far). I think such an approach should continue to be used next off-season.

Old
02-14-2006, 03:43 PM
robertch

As for our offseason moves, here's who I'd dump:

Rucinsky
Poti
Rucchin

Here's who I'd like to see us pursue:

Varada (good physical forward -- and a czech)

On D: a guy like Jay McKee, possibly Filip Kuba, and Zidlicky (I know, never happen. A guy can dream can't he ).

I'm not in favor of signing all of these guys, these just top the list of players I would look into.

Old
02-14-2006, 03:58 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Nylander signed for at least another year. Kaspar is not getting dealt. Ward is not going anywhere. Niemenen is signed for another year. And, I highly doubt Roszival will not be re-signed. The Rangers are likely to re-sign Sykora, Straka and Roszival, while letting Poti, Rucchin and Rucinsky go, thereby leaving enough room to sign two off-season UFAs...a top D-man and a center with size who can play on the 2nd line. Most likely we'll see Staal get every opportunity to make the team next camp. Baranka will also get a shot, as will Pock.
Well written with only one disagreement...Rucinsky will be resigned this summer, probably for less money than he makes this year. If a young player beats him out of a job, fine (and certainly something I would like to see happen) but until someone steps up and takes his position he will be here.

Old
02-14-2006, 04:22 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop
Well written with only one disagreement...Rucinsky will be resigned this summer, probably for less money than he makes this year. If a young player beats him out of a job, fine (and certainly something I would like to see happen) but until someone steps up and takes his position he will be here.
Again, I have to ask, where is Rucinsky going to play? Presuming that both Straka and Sykora are resigned, there is no room for him on the top 2 lines. Straka and Jagr will be the top line wings and Prucha and Sykora will be the 2nd line wings. As of right now, there are 4 wings signed to play the wings on the bottom 2 lines, namely Neimo, Ward, Ortmeyer & Hollweg. Again, barring a Neimo trade, that does not leave any room for Rucinsky on the bottom 2 lines either.
So now say you trade Neimo. By resigning Rucinsky, you negate any chance whatsoever of a rookie sliding into that spot. In recent memorey, there has not been as much as one instance that a veteran "stopgap" was signed and was traded becuase a deserving would-be rookie played well. The youngster ALWAYS got demoted to Hartford, while the "stopgap" played becuase he was making more money.
If Helminen is ready and can play wing, give him every chance to play. If Renney thinks that Dawes can develop his game by playing on the third line next year, give him every chance to do so.
Resigning Rucinsky makes no sense, as there is no available place for him.

Old
02-14-2006, 05:22 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
By resigning Rucinsky, you negate any chance whatsoever of a rookie sliding into that spot. In recent memorey, there has not been as much as one instance that a veteran "stopgap" was signed and was traded becuase a deserving would-be rookie played well. The youngster ALWAYS got demoted to Hartford, while the "stopgap" played becuase he was making more money. Resigning Rucinsky makes no sense, as there is no available place for him.
You are making a number of assumptions here -- all of them faulty. First of all the Rangers have been very lucky to suffer so few injuries this year. Compare our plight to the Flyers or perhaps the 96-97 playoff team and you learn that it takes more than 8 wingers to man an NHL team. Secondly, just because things might have been done a certain way in the past, you are assuming they will be done that way in the future. One veteran I can remember being dumped under exactly the conditions you outlined was Zarley Zalapski. Finally, you are assuming that young players will be an upgrade over current players. One of the reasons that young players never broke into the Rangers lineup in the past was that most of them weren't very good (i.e. Christian Dube, Barry Richter) Others (i.e. Vladimir Vorobiev, Daniel Goneau) couldn't play at an NHL level despite an extended trail. Rucinsky will score >20 goals this year in <70 games. He plays responsible defense and has long been considered a great team guy. He will sign, come to camp and if he is no longer capable of playing on the 23 man roster, he will be traded or he will retire. I suspect he will be more than capable for at least one more year. You need to readjust your thinking -- this is no longer a total rebuild. When you have a first place team, young players have to earn their positions. The good news is that we have young players ready to challenge for jobs.

Old
02-14-2006, 05:42 PM
Zil

I think there are more attractive wing options than bringing back Rucinsky, who is 34 pushing 35. Jagr, Straka, Sykora, Prucha, Ward, Nieminen, Ortmeyer, Hollweg and Hossa are already here. Dawes has a good chance of coming up and there is the off chance that somebody else is ready too. We could also sign somebody better than Rucinsky (like Elias).

Closed Thread