HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Habs fans checking in

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-24-2017, 08:26 AM
  #26
deanwormer
Registered User
 
deanwormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
blah.

Radu is the reason for the season
I'm thinking we as a fanbase can only hold an adequate level of disdain for so many for so long...... and since we have Liarpold, the fresh wounds of Vesey, the ongoing ill-will for Suter, and the ridiculous bandwagoneers of Chitaco, methinks it's probably time to let the immature russki slip into standard dislike with guys like Kane and Perry.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 09:38 AM
  #27
LaP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,872
vCash: 500
I'll definitely follow the Preds for the rest of the playoffs. Subban winning a cup this year would be such a big slap in the face to the haters. Man habs boards will be a mess for the whole summer if it happens lol

LaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 09:54 AM
  #28
KurtAngle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaP View Post
I'll definitely follow the Preds for the rest of the playoffs. Subban winning a cup this year would be such a big slap in the face to the haters. Man habs boards will be a mess for the whole summer if it happens lol
I know about the Canadian Subban hype, but here he is another guy. He had a good series against Chicago but to me on this team he is about the 4th best D man on the team.

By this time the trade is turning to Nashville's favor but he's down the list on the reasons for this team doing well. The Johansson trade so far was much more important than the Subban/Weber trade. And Subban is nowhere even close to being loved as Arvy is here to me.

KurtAngle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 09:59 AM
  #29
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 9,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAngle View Post
I know about the Canadian Subban hype, but here he is another guy. He had a good series against Chicago but to me on this team he is about the 4th best D man on the team.

By this time the trade is turning to Nashville's favor but he's down the list on the reasons for this team doing well. The Johansson trade so far was much more important than the Subban/Weber trade. And Subban is nowhere even close to being loved as Arvy is here to me.
I don't think Ekholm is better than Subban. And as far as how much you like certain players compared to others, I'm sure a lot of what made Subban so well liked by many people up there was things he did off the ice as well. I don't know if it was a direct correlation to how "good" he was.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 11:22 AM
  #30
RickP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I don't think Ekholm is better than Subban. And as far as how much you like certain players compared to others, I'm sure a lot of what made Subban so well liked by many people up there was things he did off the ice as well. I don't know if it was a direct correlation to how "good" he was.
Sure, his off-ice actions were really nice, but it's his on-ice impact that made him so popular with Habs fans. He was arguably the best defenseman in the entire league around 2013-15. Some would say it was Karlsson, others would say Doughty, but nobody was clearly better than Subban at that point, at best, they were equal.

If you do a quick google search for articles/websites around 2014, you'll see Subban was put in the same category as Crosby, Toews etc... You can even find people saying they would take Subban before Crosby, since Crosby had concussions problems back then.

Today, those talks look a bit silly, but around 2014 they were logical.

He's been struggling with injury/ies the last 2 seasons, and he has slowed down a bit. Plus, there's a chance he might have played over his head in the 2014 playoffs.

But the "hype" around him, it was all for real. I understand Nashville fans haven't seen the same guy we've had the pleasure to watch for years, but it wasn't hype, it was for real.


Last edited by RickP: 04-24-2017 at 11:34 AM.
RickP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 12:05 PM
  #31
JtotheC
Registered User
 
JtotheC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
Checking-in! Excited to see Subban play. Looking forward to catching Preds games now and getting to know the players on your team too.

JtotheC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 12:09 PM
  #32
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 9,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP View Post
Sure, his off-ice actions were really nice, but it's his on-ice impact that made him so popular with Habs fans. He was arguably the best defenseman in the entire league around 2013-15. Some would say it was Karlsson, others would say Doughty, but nobody was clearly better than Subban at that point, at best, they were equal.

If you do a quick google search for articles/websites around 2014, you'll see Subban was put in the same category as Crosby, Toews etc... You can even find people saying they would take Subban before Crosby, since Crosby had concussions problems back then.

Today, those talks look a bit silly, but around 2014 they were logical.

He's been struggling with injury/ies the last 2 seasons, and he has slowed down a bit. Plus, there's a chance he might have played over his head in the 2014 playoffs.

But the "hype" around him, it was all for real. I understand Nashville fans haven't seen the same guy we've had the pleasure to watch for years, but it wasn't hype, it was for real.
I like Subban a lot. Even as tough as it was to lose Weber, I still really like PK. That being said, if this is the player he is now (I don't think it is necessarily, I'm just saying) then I don't think he's going to stand out a ton with our fans. For all the faults our organization has, one constant, as everyone knows, is we're generally stacked with a really good D corps, and in the cases of Weber, Josi, and probably Suter, always have at least one elite guy. If Subban is just a pretty good defenseman he isn't going to really spark a lot of excitement with Preds fans simply because we're spoiled on defense.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly fine with what he's done, especially in the playoffs and I think our top 4 is outstanding, but I'm left to wonder if there is in fact any more of that "dynamic" side to his game, or if he's just dealing with nagging injuries. Or who knows it could be the system he's being told to play. It would be a little ironic for a coach like Lavy to have Subban reel it in a little bit offensively but I guess anything is possible.

If I had to go with one answer it's that we're seeing a guy meshing into a new system while playing somewhat hurt. Maybe he's now used to the new system but he can't physically do a lot of what he wants right now, so he knows his limitations and is playing a simple, defensive minded game, and doing it quite well.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 12:12 PM
  #33
danyhabsfan
Registered User
 
danyhabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,392
vCash: 500
Go Preds Go!

PK will bring back the cup to MTL this summer.

Win-win situation.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2017, 10:28 PM
  #34
Viggo Mortensen
Gandalf the Grey
 
Viggo Mortensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gondor
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 1,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
That's a policy when we play Chicago. As far as I know, it's not in place when we play other teams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
I don't know about that- since it is St Louis I will be surprised if the restrictions don't remain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulpred View Post
Restrictions were in place on Saturday when I got my tickets for game 3 via Ticketmaster
Yeah, I can confirm restrictions are still in place. Tried to buy 3 tickets for Game 6, with my Canadian billing address and it won't let me. Even tried to call Ticketmaster to explain, but they don't care.

Sucks because secondary market is bad right now. I guess it has to do with to new mobile ticket system (Stubhub cant handle this new way)

Viggo Mortensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 07:54 AM
  #35
hockey diva
Registered User
 
hockey diva's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beleriand
Posts: 2,423
vCash: 500
Another LOTR fan! Love it!

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 08:59 AM
  #36
kypredsfan
Smashville Subban
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mt. Juliet, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 5,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheC View Post
Checking-in! Excited to see Subban play. Looking forward to catching Preds games now and getting to know the players on your team too.
You'll learn real quick about the JOFA line. (Johansen-Forsberg-Arvidsson). They are the all stars. Arvidsson has more heart and hustle than I remember anyone ever having, and he's small and isn't afraid to get in the mix. Pekka Rinne is playing stellar lately so we hope he can keep it up. Welcome to the 2nd round!

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 01:46 PM
  #37
Nicko999
Registered User
 
Nicko999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,737
vCash: 500
Go Preds!

Who knows? If the Habs don't resign my favorite player (Markov) and Bergevin (the worst GM in Habs history) is still there next season I might become a 100% Preds fan. Been following the Preds this year (75% Habs, 25% Preds) so not exactly bandwagoner.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 02:32 PM
  #38
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 9,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Go Preds!

Who knows? If the Habs don't resign my favorite player (Markov) and Bergevin (the worst GM in Habs history) is still there next season I might become a 100% Preds fan. Been following the Preds this year (75% Habs, 25% Preds) so not exactly bandwagoner.
I was actually wondering how many of these Montreal fans really did follow the Preds this year like they said they would after the trade happened. I figured once games got going it wouldn't be very many, and once they started winning a lot of games I figured that would certainly be the case. But it seems I may be at least a little bit wrong.

I also wonder if the Center Ice package sold higher than usual this season in Quebec so people could watch Subban play. Or at least among Habs fans.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 06:36 PM
  #39
ClasslessGuy
Registered User
 
ClasslessGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St-Jean, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,444
vCash: 500
Back from my trip to nashville, Nashville win, MTL lose when I'm there it's a sign.

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 09:01 PM
  #40
Tempfan99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Montreal
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Habs fan here. Been following preds since the trade and almost not followed the habs..enough to hear them say the same **** as usual for so many years now

Agust: '"we're confident we have a better team and can go all the way''
January: '' we all beleive in each other and confident in this team''
April: ''like i said i really think we'd go deep in this golf tournement''

Tempfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 09:09 PM
  #41
Tempfan99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Montreal
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I was actually wondering how many of these Montreal fans really did follow the Preds this year like they said they would after the trade happened. I figured once games got going it wouldn't be very many, and once they started winning a lot of games I figured that would certainly be the case. But it seems I may be at least a little bit wrong.

I also wonder if the Center Ice package sold higher than usual this season in Quebec so people could watch Subban play. Or at least among Habs fans.
i actualy dont think u have a real idea of how many subban fans are following the preds this season. On the main frenchophone sport site rds.ca u can see a bunch a people arguing each others about subban/weber or preds/habs on every article where the name of subban or anything related is mentioned. After the habs lost the series lot of people were cheering on the forums blasting anti-subbans and hoping the preds go far. A sport channel also broadcasted about 20 preds regular season games cus they knew there would be a public for it and of course their playoffs games. Id never thought in my lifetime that people in mtl would care for what happens to a nashville hockey team lol

Tempfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 09:13 PM
  #42
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 9,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempfan99 View Post
i actualy dont think u have a real idea of how many subban fans are following the preds this season. On the main frenchophone sport site rds.ca u can see a bunch a people arguing each others about subban/weber or preds/habs on every article where the name of subban or anything related is mentioned. After the habs lost the series lot of people were cheering on the forums blasting anti-subbans and hoping the preds go far. A sport channel also broadcasted about 20 preds regular season games cus they knew there would be a public for it and of course their playoffs games. Id never thought in my lifetime that people in mtl would care for what happens to a nashville hockey team lol
This is actually incredible and I like it. Hopefully you have some more hockey to watch for awhile.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2017, 09:25 PM
  #43
Nitrous Mafia
Registered User
 
Nitrous Mafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On Lot
Country: United States
Posts: 3,600
vCash: 500
Bulleit, brahs.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 12:25 AM
  #44
Gnashville
Gold on the Ceiling
 
Gnashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rinne's Glove Side
Country: United States
Posts: 9,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggo Mortensen View Post
Yeah, I can confirm restrictions are still in place. Tried to buy 3 tickets for Game 6, with my Canadian billing address and it won't let me. Even tried to call Ticketmaster to explain, but they don't care.

Sucks because secondary market is bad right now. I guess it has to do with to new mobile ticket system (Stubhub cant handle this new way)
have you tried out "tickets" thread we have several season tickets holders on here that may be able to help you. I am not one and can not go to many games because of my work schedule.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 11:15 AM
  #45
PJackb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
This is actually incredible and I like it. Hopefully you have some more hockey to watch for awhile.
You have to realize that for some folks like me the Subban trade was the last straw from a management team I despise
My typical years as a fan was 1-2 corporate events , 4-5 games and watch every game i did not attend on TV
This year I caught a few periods of 4-5 games when I had nothing else to do and did other type of events for my customers and quite frankly happy to spend my company money somewhere else

PJackb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 12:52 PM
  #46
Tempfan99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Montreal
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Woke up unmorivated this morning then remembered its first game tonite im all pumped up now.

Tempfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 01:00 PM
  #47
Tempfan99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Montreal
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAngle View Post
I know about the Canadian Subban hype, but here he is another guy. He had a good series against Chicago but to me on this team he is about the 4th best D man on the team.

By this time the trade is turning to Nashville's favor but he's down the list on the reasons for this team doing well. The Johansson trade so far was much more important than the Subban/Weber trade. And Subban is nowhere even close to being loved as Arvy is here to me.
Well we already know what excuses all the subban haters will come up. If preds wins the cup i dont expect those people to change their mind, including the medias and it goes both ways. Thats how partisanship works. Like we dont know ONE d-man isnt what brings u the cup but the whole team doing good. Subbans fan we've seen him done a lot already in mtl except winning the cup. So if he wins with the preds playing a lesser role its alright with me. Id rather see that then an execptional regular year and no cup. One thing we know is that if he was still playing in mtl hed still be the first d-man playing the most min and first pp wave. So its a good sign for the preds to say they play such a player in their top 4.

Tempfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 01:12 PM
  #48
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 9,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempfan99 View Post
Well we already know what excuses all the subban haters will come up. If preds wins the cup i dont expect those people to change their mind, including the medias and it goes both ways. Thats how partisanship works. Like we dont know ONE d-man isnt what brings u the cup but the whole team doing good. Subbans fan we've seen him done a lot already in mtl except winning the cup. So if he wins with the preds playing a lesser role its alright with me. Id rather see that then an execptional regular year and no cup. One thing we know is that if he was still playing in mtl hed still be the first d-man playing the most min and first pp wave. So its a good sign for the preds to say they play such a player in their top 4.
He's definitely not playing a "lesser" role, he's just part of a defensive pair that's more or less 1B instead of pair number 2. I mean, looking for example at game 4 against Chicago the TOI leaders were

Subban ("second pairing") - 24:34
Josi ("top pairing") - 24:20
Ellis ("top pairing") - 23:18
Ekholm ("second pairing") - 23:14
Weber/Irwin - Less than 11:00 each


I think most people expected Subban to be on the top pair with Josi this season but they never really developed a ton of chemistry. Ekholm is a better match and we're comfortable relying almost entirely on the top 4.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 01:26 PM
  #49
Gh24
Registered User
 
Gh24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 549
vCash: 500
Agreed, it's more of a 1A/1B than definite first and second pairs

Subban struggled at the beginning. No surprise there with the roster roulette and new environment. He's been playing better and better all the time. He's not playing the flashy offensive game many (me included) seemed to expect, but is a very solid defenseman and very good on PP.

I wouldn't put him behind Ekholm, but because of the early struggles he's still behind Ellis and Josi in my books. Once he settles in I'm confident my opinion is going to change.

Just because we value Josi and Ellis more right now, doesn't mean we wouldn't appreciate what Subban brings to this team. I think he's been great! Different than I expected, but still great.

Gh24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 01:43 PM
  #50
Mortiest Morty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,555
vCash: 500
Subban led the Preds in shifts per game and absolutely dummied Toews at every turn. Nothing to complain about or belittle him for so far. In the Hawks series, he was the Preds best D-man defensively in my opinion.

He did struggle a bit early, but from about a week after he came back from injury until now, I've got him neck and neck with Josi as the Preds best defenseman.

Mortiest Morty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.