HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Roster Speculation: 2017-18 Part 1

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2017, 03:19 PM
truthbluth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaNotsri View Post
Nope, he's born 1996. I think he has to be born after the first of january 1997 to be available in the draft.

He's too small to become a good NHL player. He would have to compensate with great skating and his acceleration and top speed is just not good enough in my opinion.

Great player on big ice though. Probably worth a contract.

I would prefer to sign Borgman but haven't seen a single Buffalo scout on the HV71 home games. Lots of other teams though. The only Buffalo scout I know of that lives in Sweden is living way up north though, so it's not surprising. He probably catches the players on away games closer to his home.

Jeff Crisp made a trip to Sweden. But the only d-guy I know he watched is Gunnarsson: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=13319
Incorrect. That max age stipulation is only for players that have played previously in North America. It's not clear to me if he's can only be drafted, or if he can either be drafted or signed as a FA. The CBA suggests no max age at all for players who have never played in NA. As a recent example, Viktor Arvidsson was drafted 2 months after his 21st birthday.

Old
04-23-2017, 03:31 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthbluth View Post
Incorrect. That max age stipulation is only for players that have played previously in North America. It's not clear to me if he's can only be drafted, or if he can either be drafted or signed as a FA. The CBA suggests no max age at all for players who have never played in NA. As a recent example, Viktor Arvidsson was drafted 2 months after his 21st birthday.
Huh? 8.4(a)(v) clearly indicates that any player 22 or older is exempt from the draft.

8.4 Eligibility for Claim.
(a) All Players age 18 or older are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, except:
[...]
(v) a Player age 22 or older who has not been selected in a previous Entry Draft and shall be eligible to enter the League as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d).

Aho should be able to sign as a free agent if he gets passed over in this year's draft. 10.1(d) stipulates that any player who is ineligible for claim in any future draft and not on a club's reserve list is an unrestricted free agent. Per 8.4(a)(v), Aho would not be eligible for next year's draft.

Old
04-23-2017, 03:40 PM
truthbluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcommunism View Post
Huh? 8.4(a)(v) clearly indicates that any player 22 or older is exempt from the draft.

8.4 Eligibility for Claim.
(a) All Players age 18 or older are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, except:
[...]
(v) a Player age 22 or older who has not been selected in a previous Entry Draft and shall be eligible to enter the League as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d).

Aho should be able to sign as a free agent if he gets passed over in this year's draft. 10.1(d) stipulates that any player who is ineligible for claim in any future draft and not on a club's reserve list is an unrestricted free agent. Per 8.4(a)(v), Aho would not be eligible for next year's draft.
Hahaha. The NHL website just flat out omits section (v). http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26377

Old
04-23-2017, 04:06 PM
HaNotsri

Dotcom/truthbluth: thanks for great posts! Sometimes I'm really happy these forums exist.

Also, I have to correct myself, Buffalo has been present a lot at the HV71 games in the SHL playoffs. Vegas, Boston and Montreal has also had staff at most games. Besides Borgman, the teams are probably looking at prospect Lias Andersson. Some unnamed teams are supposed to have an interest in Filip Sandberg as well.

Brynäs players Ölund (prospect) and Bertilsson (26 year old dman) should be of interest as well.

Old
04-23-2017, 05:48 PM
dkollidas

Quote:
He's still draft eligible, though, isn't he?
That's usually a question we ask you

Old
04-23-2017, 05:52 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
He's still draft eligible, though, isn't he?
Yep, but if he goes through undrafted yet again, then he's UFA.

Edit: nevermind, I see this conversation has already happened.

04-23-2017, 05:54 PM
Husko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Yep, but if he goes through undrafted yet again, then he's UFA.

Edit: nevermind, I see this conversation has already happened.
If he is worth signing as a ufa, certainly someone would draft him?

Old
04-23-2017, 06:11 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
If he is worth signing as a ufa, certainly someone would draft him?
Overagers are often odd ducks, draft-wise.

Old
04-23-2017, 06:36 PM
dkollidas

I wonder if Washington tries to keep Alzner/Shattenkirk, does someone like Orlov become an option? idk what it would take to get him though.

Old
04-23-2017, 06:44 PM
sincerity0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
I wonder if Washington tries to keep Alzner/Shattenkirk, does someone like Orlov become an option? idk what it would take to get him though.
Out of those three, Orlov is the one who they are likely to keep. He's the youngest, and likely the cheapest. I do not see them bringing back Shatt nor Alzner.

Old
04-23-2017, 07:02 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincerity0 View Post
Out of those three, Orlov is the one who they are likely to keep. He's the youngest, and likely the cheapest. I do not see them bringing back Shatt nor Alzner.
Orlov would be a nice add. But I agree he is definitely the one they should keep.

Not interested in the other two.

Old
04-23-2017, 07:05 PM
dkollidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Orlov would be a nice add. But I agree he is definitely the one they should keep.

Not interested in the other two.
Agreed. But we've seen teams do worse things, especially teams desperate to win.

Old
04-23-2017, 07:10 PM
sincerity0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
Agreed. But we've seen teams do worse things, especially teams desperate to win.
He's arguably been their best defenseman

Definitely not interested in Alzner or Shatt given their expected price/term

Old
04-23-2017, 07:20 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
Anyone ready to tank 2017-18 for Brady Tkachuk, just so he and Eichel can screw with people by signing each other's autographs?

They can even wear the same BU hats!

Old
04-23-2017, 07:25 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

As much as it would be nice to have Reinhart as the 3C and be able to roll 3 solid lines and then the shutdown 4th line (Carrier-Larsson-X) there just aren't enough quality wingers, especially if we move Kane. I really do not want to see Moulson and Ennis in the lineup period let alone the top 9. If Moulson is unable to move I'd simply tell him we are burying you in Rochester to save the -950k-1mil. If you want to ride a bus for two years that's fine or you can retire at the end of the year.

X-RoR-Okposo
Kane-Eichel-X
X-Reinhart-X
Carrier-Larsson-X

A lot of spots to fill. I want Carrier with Larsson not on my #1 line. Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching and Nylander aren't ready to be in the top 6 year round. Kane has to be kept to make any Reinhart to Center option work. RoR to winger sounds nice in theory but I'm pretty sure RoR complained and griped about being at wing instead of at center. Now signing TJ Oshie and keeping Kane, that can help the top 6. Adding Oshie to Eichels wing allows us to put a Girgs in the top 6 at LW...

Kane-Eichel-Oshie (new #1 ES line. People want to cut RoRs mins this is how we do it.)
Girgensons-RoR-Okposo
Ennis-Reinhart-Gionta (I'd be ok bringing Gionta back ONLY if he isn't the captain and its for less then 3 mil)
Carrier-Larsson-ERod

Keep Nylander, Fasching, Baptiste and Bailey in Rochester as first call ups/to get meaningful ice time

It's almost impossible to move both Moulson and Ennis in the same year. I'd say I would prefer to keep Ennis over Moulson. Cheaper, younger and has a better chance of 40+ points then Moulson.

That solves forwards but the D is still a Mess. I know Kane has been earmarked for D help but in order to maximize Reinhart as a center we simply can't afford to lose 2 20+ goal wingers (Kane traded and Reinhart to center)

X-Risto
McCabe-Bogo
X-X
Gorges

I'm guessing Guhle is making the team. He nearly made it the last two years and is 20. We are seeing young dmen step in lately. So Guhle on the bottom pair isn't outrageous. A bottom pairing partner for him can be found in free agency. Antipin is a lottery ticket not slotting him in yet. The question is how do we address the lack of a top 4 LHD especially with keeping Kane. Might have to dangle our first. I'd be interested in our first or Nylander for Brodin as the basis.

Brodin-Risto
McCabe-Bogo
Guhle-UFA
Gorges
Falk

With a new coach/system in place and better injury luck maybe this team fights for a WC spot.

Old
04-23-2017, 07:40 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Strong center spines allow for flexibility in plug-and-play wingers. There isn't a need to load up on wingers when they don't have the defensemen to move the puck up the ice.

I feel like this is a time warp to last spring.

Old
04-23-2017, 07:47 PM
threeVo

Stop penciling Carrier on the 4th line. If we get any coach besides DISCO FREAKING DAN hes a bonafide top 9 player for this team.

Eye test, advanced statistics all back this up without question.

Old
04-23-2017, 07:51 PM
Husko

I wonder if we could trade on Folignos size and athleticism and "untapped potential" and flip him for a winger that truly excels in a defensive role to play with Larson. Folignonis fine there, but would love someone who would truly excel in it.

Old
04-23-2017, 08:22 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Strong center spines allow for flexibility in plug-and-play wingers. There isn't a need to load up on wingers when they don't have the defensemen to move the puck up the ice.

I feel like this is a time warp to last spring.
Agreed.

Plus Eichel doesn't need elite wingers. Get him someone in the 3-4M range who can skate and keep up with him and Eichel will take care of the rest. Look what McDavid did to Patrick Maroon.

Spend the big bucks fixing the D. Let the centers make overacheiving wingers.

Old
04-23-2017, 08:29 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
I wonder if we could trade on Folignos size and athleticism and "untapped potential" and flip him for a winger that truly excels in a defensive role to play with Larson. Folignonis fine there, but would love someone who would truly excel in it.
I'm on board with this. If we could get a young-ish player in the mold of Jannik Hansen or Mike Grier in exchange for Foligno, that would be great. Can't think of any elite, defense-first wingers off the top of my head that are around Foligno's age, though.

Old
04-23-2017, 08:48 PM
"Craigs on it"

Trade Kane sign Oshie

Old
04-23-2017, 08:48 PM
makeitburn
PUCKGASM

Carrier is not a 4th liner on this team.

I don't understand how you trade Folingo and get anything other than equivalent.

Old
04-23-2017, 08:52 PM
Blitz
WANTED: Top-4 LHD...

My off-season wishlist/plan...

ASAP
- Sign D Viktor Antipin
- Offer D Dmitri Kulikov 1-2yr deal at $4.5M provided he is finally healthy
- Offer W/C Sam Reinhart to SJS in exchange for D Justin Braun . Sharks have 4 potential d-men (Burns, Vlasic, Madden, Braun) to protect in upcoming expansion draft as well as opening in top-6 with likely departure of Thornton & Marleau after disappointing exit from rnd 1.
- Re-sign Brian Gionta to 1yr deal.
- Sign G Cal Peterson to 2yr ELC

June 15th (buyout window opens)
- Buyout D Zach Bogosian $5.143M AAV - Cap hit remaining is <$2M for the next 6yrs, cap savings of $3M+ for next 3yrs.

June 18 (Expansion draft begins)
-Protecting Kyle Okposo (NMC), Ryan O’Reilly, Evander Kane, William Carrier, Zemgus Girgensons, Johan Larsson, Marcus Foligno, Rasmus Ristolainen, Jake McCabe, Dmitri Kulikov (if re-signed, if not protect Falk), Robin Lehner.
Tyler Ennis left unprotected.

June 23 (NHL Entry Draft)
Use 1st RND selection to try to get D Timothy Liljegren or Juuso Valimaki depending on draft position. Miro Heiskanen is also intriguing, however his lack of size likely means a couple years of conditioning.

July 1 (UFA)
- If Kulikov walks, Offer D Michael Stone 4yrs @ $4.5M AAV
- Re-Sign F Thomas Vanek to 2yr $5M deal

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Assuming LV takes Tyler Ennis, Moulson in ROC, Vanek Signed, Gio back on a 1yr deal.

Kane($5.25)-RoR($7.5M)-Okposo($6M)
Girgensons($2M?)-Eichel($925K)-Bailey($670K)
Vanek($2.5M?)-Larsson($1.25M?)-Carrier($689K)
Foligno($2.5M?)-Rodrigues($925K?)-Gionta(($2M?)
X.Moulson($5M) Nylander, Fasching

Assuming Antipin signs, replace Kulikov w/ Stone if Dmitri walks July 1.

McCabe($1.6M)-Risto($5.4M)
Kulikov($4.5M)[Stone]-Braun($3.8M)
Guhle($703K)-Antipin($925K)
X.Gorges($3.9M)

Lehner($3.5M?)
Ullmark($925K?)
X. Peterson

Buyout - Bogosian ($1.587M)

CAP HIT $60M
PROJECTED CAP $76M
CAP SPACE $16M

Old
04-23-2017, 08:57 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
My off-season wishlist/plan...

ASAP
- Sign D Viktor Antipin
- Offer D Dmitri Kulikov 1-2yr deal at $4.5M provided he is finally healthy
- Offer W/C Sam Reinhart to SJS in exchange for D Justin Braun . Sharks have 4 potential d-men (Burns, Vlasic, Madden, Braun) to protect in upcoming expansion draft as well as opening in top-6 with likely departure of Thornton & Marleau after disappointing exit from rnd 1.
- Re-sign Brian Gionta to 1yr deal.
- Sign G Cal Peterson to 2yr ELC

June 15th (buyout window opens)
- Buyout D Zach Bogosian $5.143M AAV - Cap hit remaining is <$2M for the next 6yrs, cap savings of $3M+ for next 3yrs.

June 18 (Expansion draft begins)
-Protecting Kyle Okposo (NMC), Ryan O’Reilly, Evander Kane, William Carrier, Zemgus Girgensons, Johan Larsson, Marcus Foligno, Rasmus Ristolainen, Jake McCabe, Dmitri Kulikov (if re-signed, if not protect Falk), Robin Lehner.
Tyler Ennis left unprotected.

June 23 (NHL Entry Draft)
Use 1st RND selection to try to get D Timothy Liljegren or Juuso Valimaki depending on draft position. Miro Heiskanen is also intriguing, however his lack of size likely means a couple years of conditioning.

July 1 (UFA)
- If Kulikov walks, Offer D Michael Stone 4yrs @ $4.5M AAV
- Re-Sign F Thomas Vanek to 2yr $5M deal

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Assuming LV takes Tyler Ennis, Moulson in ROC, Vanek Signed, Gio back on a 1yr deal.

Kane($5.25)-RoR($7.5M)-Okposo($6M)
Girgensons($2M?)-Eichel($925K)-Bailey($670K)
Vanek($2.5M?)-Larsson($1.25M?)-Carrier($689K)
Foligno($2.5M?)-Rodrigues($925K?)-Gionta(($2M?)
X.Moulson($5M) Nylander, Fasching

Assuming Antipin signs, replace Kulikov w/ Stone if Dmitri walks July 1.

McCabe($1.6M)-Risto($5.4M)
Kulikov($4.5M)[Stone]-Braun($3.8M)
Guhle($703K)-Antipin($925K)
X.Gorges($3.9M)

Lehner($3.5M?)
Ullmark($925K?)
X. Peterson

Buyout - Bogosian ($1.587M)

CAP HIT $60M
PROJECTED CAP $76M
CAP SPACE $16M
Zero interest buying out bogo. Wr can get something...even a 7th for him from someone. That's way to much dead space on the books.

Old
04-23-2017, 08:58 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
What the... You've got to be kidding. I don't think even the most optimistic/homerish Shark fan would think that trade is even remotely close in value.

Closed Thread