HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2016-17 Around the League V

Old
04-28-2017, 12:46 PM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

vCash: 177
I'm totally enjoying the logic of Habs fans.

People are speaking about Tavares and how he said he wants to stay in New York. Habs fans are saying "uhh yeah but that doesn't mean anything. What else is he going to say?"

Then people are mentioning Price potentially playing elsewhere and they immieditely start talking about Price saying he want's to re-sign.

Old
04-28-2017, 06:28 PM
Avalanche

vCash: 500

Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2017, 08:31 AM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

Didn't really know where else to post this but I'm going to shoot it here. Don't usually talk about feelings (or really have feelings for that matter lol) but it's been a rough few hours since the IceCaps were eliminated last night. A team I put a lot of time and heart into is simply leaving. 20 years of AHL hockey in this province over for good.

On the other hand it will hopefully lead to a QMJHL team. There were major conversations if Blainville moving here as early as next season but those talks were put on hold as they had their cards on making a deep run and didn't want information like that getting leaked in the middle of that. It's getting late now so I'm having my doubts they'll be here next season but think they most likely will the following year.

Anyway, just a little rant. Those of you who have pro teams in close vacinity, appreciate it. Those who have had it taken away, I feel for you.

Cousin Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2017, 08:47 AM
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!

With AHL and junior hockey teams moving so much, St. John's seems to be one of those places where they'll always have a team on and off.

UncleRisto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2017, 08:54 AM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRisto View Post
With AHL and junior hockey teams moving so much, St. John's seems to be one of those places where they'll always have a team on and off.
I think it's 100% the end of AHL hockey. Because we're so far out of the way we can only be a stopgap for NHL farms as they try to get their teams closer to home. The AHL is drastically shifting to the other side of the continent. It would be significantly faster to fly to play one of your favorite teams in Finland than it would be to fly to play a lot of other AHL teams. Plus fans know we'll only be a stop gap and won't want to support that. The IceCaps went from selling out every single game for 4 years and being by far the most profitable team in the league to being less than 50% occupied for a playoff game last week. Newfies are diehards but also don't want to support a team who doesn't want to stick around. Once word got out that we were moving to Laval everyone stopped going.

Old
04-29-2017, 09:00 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
I saw your tweets and even watched the video. I feel for you guys. It sucks that it's all a matter of geography, not support or anything like that. Which was your favorite affiliation? I think you has the most success with the Jets, no?

I hope you do get that Q team, that would be fun. I don't know why the Armada would leave the Montreal area as they are the only team in the city but I don't understand regional politics I guess.

tigervixxxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2017, 09:01 AM
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
I think it's 100% the end of AHL hockey. Because we're so far out of the way we can only be a stopgap for NHL farms as they try to get their teams closer to home. The AHL is drastically shifting to the other side of the continent. It would be significantly faster to fly to play one of your favorite teams in Finland than it would be to fly to play a lot of other AHL teams. Plus fans know we'll only be a stop gap and won't want to support that. The IceCaps went from selling out every single game for 4 years and being by far the most profitable team in the league to being less than 50% occupied for a playoff game last week. Newfies are diehards but also don't want to support a team who doesn't want to stick around. Once word got out that we were moving to Laval everyone stopped going.
Oh. That's unfortunate. Maybe we should work on the Finland/New Foundland hockey league. The FLNFLHL. Or maybe the NFLFLHL?

"You're watching the NFL...FLHL."

Last edited by UncleRisto: 04-29-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old
04-29-2017, 09:52 AM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
I saw your tweets and even watched the video. I feel for you guys. It sucks that it's all a matter of geography, not support or anything like that. Which was your favorite affiliation? I think you has the most success with the Jets, no?

I hope you do get that Q team, that would be fun. I don't know why the Armada would leave the Montreal area as they are the only team in the city but I don't understand regional politics I guess.
Winnipeg was easily my favorite. We thought it was somewhat permanent too. Had a real attachment to that team and still have friends from that group. That Calder Cup run was the most fun thing I've ever been apart of.

As for why Blainville will move. The IceCaps are moving to Laval next year. That will put the Habs, the "Rockets" and Blainville all within close proximity.

Quote:
Oh. That's unfortunate. Maybe we should work on the Finland/New Foundland hockey league. The FLNFLHL. Or maybe the NFLFLHL?

"You're watching the NFL...FLHL."
I'm in.

Old
05-02-2017, 12:35 PM
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!

I wonder what Don Cherry thinks of Zatsiff's seven year contract.

Old
05-02-2017, 03:50 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:
I wonder what Don Cherry thinks of Zatsiff's seven year contract.
I wonder what the defensemen on the Marlies think

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2017, 11:45 AM
Nalens Oga
HeavenOrLasVegas

vCash: 2405
Looks like Botteril (who I think is basically the de-facto Pens GM) is gonna be snapped up by the Sabres which sucks cos I was hoping he could be a possible replacement whenever Sakic resigns. You snooze you lose.

Also I've really grown to dislike Don Cherry (his hockey opinions at least) since I was a kid so I love when a player calls him out. He hurls a lot of ****, nice when it's hurled back.

Nalens Oga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2017, 11:53 AM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalens Oga View Post
Looks like Botteril (who I think is basically the de-facto Pens GM) is gonna be snapped up by the Sabres which sucks cos I was hoping he could be a possible replacement whenever Sakic resigns. You snooze you lose.

Also I've really grown to dislike Don Cherry (his hockey opinions at least) since I was a kid so I love when a player calls him out. He hurls a lot of ****, nice when it's hurled back.
Who said something about Cherry?

Old
05-05-2017, 11:13 PM
Balthazar
Someone

Balthazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2017, 12:38 AM
dahrougem2

I don't think that's going to be a good deal for the Canes at all. Maybe I'll be wrong but I don't think Darling has the ability to be a starting goaltender, and now they're tied to him for 4 years at 4.1M per season.

Looks like Cam Ward will be shipped out sooner rather than later.

Old
05-06-2017, 01:02 AM
PAZ

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
I don't think that's going to be a good deal for the Canes at all. Maybe I'll be wrong but I don't think Darling has the ability to be a starting goaltender, and now they're tied to him for 4 years at 4.1M per season.

Looks like Cam Ward will be shipped out sooner rather than later.
It's a horrible deal given the situation. They could've given him a prove it year, and if he performed to expectations he would've been more than happy to sign this contract next year. I think Darling could turn out to be Cam Talbot/Martin Jones, but there is a decent amount of risk for a very small return. If he wins the Vezina then they look like a genius, anything short of that and it's just acceptable/dumb.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2017, 01:19 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
It's a horrible deal given the situation. They could've given him a prove it year, and if he performed to expectations he would've been more than happy to sign this contract next year. I think Darling could turn out to be Cam Talbot/Martin Jones, but there is a decent amount of risk for a very small return. If he wins the Vezina then they look like a genius, anything short of that and it's just acceptable/dumb.
darling and his agent had the leverage here. canes had just traded a 3rd round pick for his UFA rights. can't play too hardball after that.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2017, 02:55 PM
Cousin Eddie
IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

4 years? So there's a possibility that he walks as a UFA in 4 years? Canes fans can't be happy about that. They want players with 8 years remaining only.

Old
05-06-2017, 05:07 PM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

Quote:
4 years? So there's a possibility that he walks as a UFA in 4 years? Canes fans can't be happy about that. They want players with 8 years remaining only.
I mean, they are guaranteed to never, ever be able to sign any pending UFAs. Their city is poison.

McMetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2017, 05:07 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Gold.

Old
05-06-2017, 08:23 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMetal View Post
I mean, they are guaranteed to never, ever be able to sign any pending UFAs. Their city is poison.
You really don't need the sarcasm emoji lol

Raleigh/Durrum, NC has one of the worst water tables in the US

So for anyone who drinks Aquafina water. Take a look at the back of the bottle lol.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2017, 10:57 PM
Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMetal View Post
Yeah, Raleigh has the be the most boring place to play in the NHL.

18007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2017, 11:31 PM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

vCash: 844
Quote:

I was just telling a buddy this yesterday!

There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk, which is water that is lying about being milk.
RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2017, 11:02 AM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
darling and his agent had the leverage here. canes had just traded a 3rd round pick for his UFA rights. can't play too hardball after that.
When you look at the teams who are willing to give Darling a guaranteed starter position, all of a sudden the market gets really small.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2017, 03:34 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
When you look at the teams who are willing to give Darling a guaranteed starter position, all of a sudden the market gets really small.
But what other goalies can demand that starting position... Darling... Bishop... that is about it. With Calgary, Carolina, Vegas, Winnipeg (potentially), and Dallas all competing for those two.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2017, 12:23 PM
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!

So do the Stars buy out Niemi now, or what?