HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Providence Bruins General Discussion II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-26-2017, 05:57 PM
  #26
GarbageGoal
Clint Bobski GOAT
 
GarbageGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 18,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzerelli View Post
I've read this sentiment here numerous times. Usually someone is advocating for the trade of some defenseman because we don't have room for them all. Unless my math skills are really off, I see us needing defensemen, not having a surplus.

With conventional thinking being that Vegas will take one of McQuaid, Killer or Chiller, (let's assume for this discussion it's McQuaid). Conventional thinking here also suggests that we won't re-sign Morrow. I'm not convinced of that, but let's roll with that for now.

That leaves us with 14 spots to fill (7 in Boston & 7 in Providence) and just 10 defensemen under contract. In no particular order;

Chara-Carlo
Krug-McAvoy
KillerChiller
O'Gara-Gryz
Zboril-Lauzon

Tha's just 10 of 14 defensemen. We NEED 4 more. There is no surplus.

We do have Johansson, but he has a European assignment clause, presumably because he doesn't want to play in Providence.

If we somehow protect McQuaid, Killer & Chiller and convince Vegas to take a forward instead - AND - if we re-sign Morrow, that still only gives us 12 of 14 needed defensemen. Even if Johansson sticks around and we keep everyone we have, we still need one more.


Unless I'm missing some players, I don't see the surplus or the logjam ...
I have no inside info on Johansson other than I doubt he'd come over here on what amounts to a per diem contract and then decide after a handful of games that he hated it and would go back to Sweden without at least giving it a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzerelli View Post
But there won't be a logjam until those prospects are mastering the AHL level. We don't have a surplus of that at all. Just a whole bunch of young guys who would benefit a lot from sepnding time in Providence. By the time they are ready (if they are ever ready) for full time NHL duty, we will have contracts expiring and there will be room for them. I don't see an embarrassment of riches on D just yet.

Also, I get the idea of bringing vets into Providence to groom the young guys and maintain a certain culture, but I'm a bit baffled as to why they bring in vets that really serve as "blockers" to development, eating up ice time that the Boston prospects should be getting. I don't understand bringing in players like Grant, Swarz, Simpson for example. I'd prefer O'Gara and Gryz were played ahead of Grant, Casto and Breen. I get Tommy Cross, because he's still a legitimate Boston prospect, but the other guys aren't.
You kinda contradict yourself here. You say there's really no logjam, but then you're objecting to AHL players who will be needed to fill out the roster taking up ice time. Not every guy on an AHL roster can be a top prospect or even a marginal one. And now, with expansion, suddenly guys like Szwarz or Simpson (and granted, I don't know if they'll be here next year) are 25 steps closer to the NHL than they were this year, whether it be in Vegas or on the roster spots that open up elsewhere.

I guess we've been down this road before. Guys play roles and there's a balance between development and also icing a competitive team that makes the postseason. No one's gonna like this, but you know who's been the best player in this series? Chris Porter. He's keeping WBS honest by hitting them hard. Now I know he's a 30-something year old plug, but he's been a difference maker.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 06:43 PM
  #27
Fonzerelli
Registered User
 
Fonzerelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: I'll come to you
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
You kinda contradict yourself here. You say there's really no logjam, but then you're objecting to AHL players who will be needed to fill out the roster taking up ice time.
Well, no. Two different issues.

When I say there is no logjam, I am looking at next year and the contracts we have. We have 10 defensemen under contract if Vegas snatches one and we don't re-sign Morrow.

When I say guys like Grant, Casto, Breen are "blocking" it's because they are right now, and have been all season. I understand they are technically on NHL deals themselves, but it would be nice to see guys like O'Gara, Gryz get the prime ice for development over these 1-year filler type deals. Hickman over Swarz or Simpson. Having older AHL vets take priority over the Boston prospects doesn't make sense to me. Never has.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
I guess we've been down this road before. Guys play roles and there's a balance between development and also icing a competitive team that makes the postseason.
This is all fine in theory, but Providence has only got past the 2nd round once in the last 12 years, so I'm not sure that philosophy is working out so well. Maybe it is. Maybe the balance is good. If anyone on these boards would know, you would, so I take your word on it. I haven't looked that hard at it myself, but I would think the priority of a Boston farm team should be the Boston prospects.

Fonzerelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 06:59 PM
  #28
bruinmann77
Registered User
 
bruinmann77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: bronx ny
Country: United States
Posts: 8,100
vCash: 500
Isn't Searz only 25

bruinmann77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 07:18 PM
  #29
GarbageGoal
Clint Bobski GOAT
 
GarbageGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 18,223
vCash: 500
Justin Hickman? Really?

He had 60 some games last season and got like 8 points. He's not even impressive at the ECHL level. I don't see any more upside to him than Simpson. He's a 23 year old undrafted free agent.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 07:58 PM
  #30
neelynugs
Registered User
 
neelynugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vote Quimby!
Posts: 30,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
Justin Hickman? Really?

He had 60 some games last season and got like 8 points. He's not even impressive at the ECHL level. I don't see any more upside to him than Simpson. He's a 23 year old undrafted free agent.
did i miss something? what's up with hickman? is he jumping into the lineup?

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2017, 08:08 PM
  #31
GarbageGoal
Clint Bobski GOAT
 
GarbageGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 18,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
did i miss something? what's up with hickman? is he jumping into the lineup?
No, Fonz was wondering why he's not playing over Simpson or Szwarz and my guess is that Kevin Dean has seen as much and more as I have.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 01:51 AM
  #32
Fonzerelli
Registered User
 
Fonzerelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: I'll come to you
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
No, Fonz was wondering why he's not playing over Simpson or Szwarz and my guess is that Kevin Dean has seen as much and more as I have.
Hickman wasn't brought in to put up points. He's a big body for your 4th line. I'll take your word for it that he didn't impress in year one, but he's not going to get any better sitting in the stands. This is a development league afterall, and we are committed to him for this year and next year as well. It might take him some time and he might be a late bloomer and he might not bloom at all, but he sure the hell won't bloom in the stands. It just seems odd to me that we sign these guys to 3 year deals and are giving up on them just over a year into it.


Last edited by Fonzerelli: 04-27-2017 at 02:17 AM.
Fonzerelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 06:05 AM
  #33
Tampbear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Tampa
Posts: 1,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzerelli View Post
Hickman wasn't brought in to put up points. He's a big body for your 4th line. I'll take your word for it that he didn't impress in year one, but he's not going to get any better sitting in the stands. This is a development league afterall, and we are committed to him for this year and next year as well. It might take him some time and he might be a late bloomer and he might not bloom at all, but he sure the hell won't bloom in the stands. It just seems odd to me that we sign these guys to 3 year deals and are giving up on them just over a year into it.
I don't think them sitting games is us giving up on them, heck Cross spent most of his first year in the ECHL and he was still part of the organization last year and even got a cup of coffee in the NHL. If a guy is your 13 or 14th best forward at the AHL level I don't think it's to the benefit of the bruins to spend a lot of time and effort on them. It is great to get guys the ice time, but at the same time the kids need to be in a competitive atmosphere and not just handed ice time. Providence needs to keep it's fans happy as well and not abandon them by deciding they don't care about being competitive so that marginal professionals can get more ice time. This is the sort of reasoning that was going on for Knight who was even a 3rd rd pick and not an undrafted free agent if I can remember. Knight never was able to earn his icetime and the coach got the blame. Now Knight is playing in Denmark.

Tampbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 10:52 AM
  #34
BruinsHockey
Registered User
 
BruinsHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
Officials for game 3 a W-B/S

Referee:

Olivier Gouin*(54) and Evgenii Romasko*(39)

Linesman:

Kory Nagy*(97) and Francois Dussureault(60)

BruinsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 11:16 AM
  #35
JCRO
Blue line dangles
 
JCRO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdub View Post
mark divver 9:09am
[tweet expect zach senyshyn to replace cehlarik in prov lineup on thursday][/tweet]

JCRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 11:20 AM
  #36
Malt
Registered User
 
Malt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 863
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzerelli View Post
When I say guys like Grant, Casto, Breen are "blocking" it's because they are right now, and have been all season. I understand they are technically on NHL deals themselves, but it would be nice to see guys like O'Gara, Gryz get the prime ice for development over these 1-year filler type deals. Hickman over Swarz or Simpson. Having older AHL vets take priority over the Boston prospects doesn't make sense to me. Never has.

Breen is on an AHL contract this year. He only played in EDIT: 37 regular season games. I wouldn't say he blocked anyone's development, especially Gryz and O'Gara, who both saw time in Boston this year.
You *could* say that Breen is being depended on too heavily in this playoff series (-3 in game 2, along with Casto).

As has been noted, Hickman was a low-risk free-agent signing. He had bad luck with an injury this year but the reason he doesn't play much is simply due to the fact that he's not very skilled or fast on his skates. Szwarz and Simpson were two big reasons why Providence is in the playoffs to begin with. Hickman is a 4th liner, tops, at this time.


Last edited by Malt: 04-27-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 11:50 AM
  #37
BruinsHockey
Registered User
 
BruinsHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt View Post
Breen is on an AHL contract this year. He only played in regular season games. I wouldn't say he blocked anyone's development, especially Gryz and O'Gara, who both saw time in Boston this year.
You *could* say that Breen is being depended on too heavily in this playoff series (-3 in game 2, along with Casto).

As has been noted, Hickman was a low-risk free-agent signing. He had bad luck with an injury this year but the reason he doesn't play much is simply due to the fact that he's not very skilled or fast on his skates. Szwarz and Simpson were two big reasons why Providence is in the playoffs to begin with. Hickman is a 4th liner, tops, at this time.
Great post.

I'd like to see Marshall instead of Breen.

BruinsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 11:52 AM
  #38
BruinsHockey
Registered User
 
BruinsHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
@markdivver twitter
Three lineup changes for Providence Bruins tonight in Game 3:

Kuraly, Senyshyn, Marshall in. Fitzgerald, Cehlarik (inj) , Casto out

BruinsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 01:43 PM
  #39
Fonzerelli
Registered User
 
Fonzerelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: I'll come to you
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampbear View Post
I don't think them sitting games is us giving up on them, heck Cross spent most of his first year in the ECHL and he was still part of the organization last year and even got a cup of coffee in the NHL. If a guy is your 13 or 14th best forward at the AHL level I don't think it's to the benefit of the bruins to spend a lot of time and effort on them. It is great to get guys the ice time, but at the same time the kids need to be in a competitive atmosphere and not just handed ice time. Providence needs to keep it's fans happy as well and not abandon them by deciding they don't care about being competitive so that marginal professionals can get more ice time. This is the sort of reasoning that was going on for Knight who was even a 3rd rd pick and not an undrafted free agent if I can remember. Knight never was able to earn his icetime and the coach got the blame. Now Knight is playing in Denmark.
Excellent post. Great points.

It's easy to forget that Providence is it's own entity with it's own fanbase and is balancing multiple agenda's, very much like CHL teams. Perhaps even moreso.

I really enjoy reading your board and really appreciate the posts from guys like yourself, Malt, GarbageGoal and others.

Good luck tonight! Will definitely tune in to watch Zach.

Fonzerelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 02:07 PM
  #40
GarbageGoal
Clint Bobski GOAT
 
GarbageGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 18,223
vCash: 500
I like most of what Fitzgerald's bringing to the ice but he takes dumb penalties. (I notice he has only 4 seemed like more) Probably a good time to rotate someone else in. Marshall's size is problem but he's got a great shot.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 02:57 PM
  #41
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 42,229
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsHockey View Post
Three lineup changes for Providence Bruins tonight in Game 3:

Kuraly, Senyshyn, Marshall in. Fitzgerald, Cehlarik (inj) , Casto out
I hope Dean tells Senyshyn so he isn't suprised when he hits the ice these aren't 15,16, and 17 year olds

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 03:14 PM
  #42
KnightofBoston
Mnt. Carlo
 
KnightofBoston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Easthampton, Ma
Country: United States
Posts: 14,993
vCash: 500
Bummer cehlarik is out, fighting injury or just in a slump?

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 03:23 PM
  #43
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Bummer cehlarik is out, fighting injury or just in a slump?
or bumped by a better player

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 03:25 PM
  #44
GarbageGoal
Clint Bobski GOAT
 
GarbageGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 18,223
vCash: 500
Apparently injury

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 05:37 PM
  #45
BruinsHockey
Registered User
 
BruinsHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Bummer cehlarik is out, fighting injury or just in a slump?
Injury although, he has not been the same player since returning from Boston.

BruinsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 05:41 PM
  #46
BruinsHockey
Registered User
 
BruinsHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
I like most of what Fitzgerald's bringing to the ice but he takes dumb penalties. (I notice he has only 4 seemed like more) Probably a good time to rotate someone else in. Marshall's size is problem but he's got a great shot.
4 Penalty's in only a handful of games.

BruinsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 06:23 PM
  #47
GarbageGoal
Clint Bobski GOAT
 
GarbageGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 18,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsHockey View Post
4 Penalty's in only a handful of games.
4 minutes I meant

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 08:06 PM
  #48
Malt
Registered User
 
Malt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 863
vCash: 500
Randell and Sestito finally drop the gloves and Randell gets the win over the giant spazz for W-B.

Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 08:09 PM
  #49
Fonzerelli
Registered User
 
Fonzerelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: I'll come to you
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt View Post
Randell and Sestito finally drop the gloves and Randell gets the win over the giant spazz for W-B.
That's awesome! Love Randell as a scrapper

Malt, how's Zack look?

Fonzerelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 08:12 PM
  #50
roflstomper
I don't row.
 
roflstomper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
P-Bruins parade to the penalty box. Sun setting real quickly on this season.

roflstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.