HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

We have to go at least 15-6-1

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2006, 03:48 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

vCash: 500
We have to go at least 15-6-1

In our last 22 to crack 100 pts.

Are we going to be able to do that you think?

Where are Potvin and Deader when you need em'

02-14-2006, 04:22 AM
Pepper

Is there some special reason why Kings need to crack 100 points...?

Old
02-14-2006, 04:35 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

It's been estimated from the start of the season that it would more than likely take 100pts to secure a playoff spot.

Old
02-14-2006, 06:10 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
In our last 22 to crack 100 pts.

Where are Potvin and Deader when you need em'
I hear Potvin is asking where the Kings are when he needs them every day.

Old
02-14-2006, 07:38 AM
Steve_KINGS27

I don't think we'll need to go 15-6-1. We don't need 100 pts. to get into the playoffs, but we do need to get 12 wins out of our last 22 games, this will give us 93 pts. and we should finish in 4th or 5th. Unless the Stars go through a big losing streak (hopefully).

Old
02-14-2006, 07:46 AM
Osprey

Quote:
It's been estimated from the start of the season that it would more than likely take 100pts to secure a playoff spot.
100pts would guarantee a spot, but it won't require that many to make it. Expect something around 92-96pts for 8th.

Old
02-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Tadite

Quote:

Its been wrongly estimated as anyone can see if they look at the standings.

You know we do have a scoreboard watchers thread that already talks about these things...

Old
02-14-2006, 11:22 AM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_KINGS27
I don't think we'll need to go 15-6-1. We don't need 100 pts. to get into the playoffs, but we do need to get 12 wins out of our last 22 games, this will give us 93 pts. and we should finish in 4th or 5th. Unless the Stars go through a big losing streak (hopefully).
Each team in the NHL is averaging 11-12% of their games in overtime losses, so that the AVERAGE point total per team is going to be 92-93. Juat over that should sneak you into the playoffs, but certainly not 4th or 5th.

Old
02-14-2006, 03:42 PM
Venom_17

OK this season MORE points are being awarded to every team BECAUSE of the shootout. Every time there is a shootout, 1 more point is awarded than would have been awarded last year. A tie would result in 2 total points, a shootout results in 3 total points. THIS means that we will need more than 92 points to get in. Saying 92 points for 4th-5th is absolutely off.

I would estimate the 8th place team will need at least 95 points. And yes, 3 points is a huge difference.

Old
02-14-2006, 04:09 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

well, for better or for worse, 10 of the 22 remaining games are with teams that we are in direct competition with for our 8th seed spot. This gives us that much control over our own destiny. I think if we win the crucial ones, we shouldn't be that desperate for the 5 extra wins to reach 100 points.

Old
02-14-2006, 04:19 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
well, for better or for worse, 10 of the 22 remaining games are with teams that we are in direct competition with for our 8th seed spot. This gives us that much control over our own destiny. I think if we win the crucial ones, we shouldn't be that desperate for the 5 extra wins to reach 100 points.
I suppose that's a double-edged sword.

I'm still not convinced that this Kings team is "back". It was great to see that they showed some inspired play in the third and went on an offensive tear. However, the fact remains that, like many games in the past two weeks, they let in way too many goals. As good as the Dallas win was, its not how they should be winning games. Add to that the fact that Dallas has inexplicably been our ***** this year, despite their better play, and this team is pretty much where it left off after the Chicago game.

It's going to take a couple of solid "reminiscent of earlier in the season" efforts strung together for my confidence to be restored. Until I see a much more inspired team come out of the Olympic break, I won't view ten of twenty-two against playoff rivals as a good thing.

Old
02-14-2006, 05:21 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite

You know we do have a scoreboard watchers thread that already talks about these things...
Quiet, you!

Old
02-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Sybil227

Quote:
I dunno....do we play Dallas 15 more times?

Old
02-14-2006, 05:56 PM
Captain Ron

93 points may be enough to squeek an 8th place spot (I personally believe it will take at least 95). But there is no way in hell a team with 93 points is going to lock up a 4-5th place seed.

Just going by past seaons it has taken at least 97 points to just get a 5th seed berth, and that was in season's where 3 point cames were not nearly as common. It will almost definitely take 100 points to have a 4-5th place finish in the conference.

Old
02-14-2006, 06:04 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Yeah, I don't want to just squeek in. I want a decent seed. 100pts or a firesale

Old
02-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Yeah, I don't want to just squeek in. I want a decent seed. 100pts or a firesale

I agree. The 4 games returning from the Olympic break will probably give us the most accurate indication as to where this team is headed.

The Kings will face

Minnesota twice
Columbus
Detroit

The Kings from the first half of the season should win 2 or 3 of these games.

The Kings of the "Great Fall" would be lucky to win 1 of these games.

Anything less than a 2-2 record from these games will probably indicate the Kings are not playoff bound this year. If that is the case I really hope Taylor is prepared to switch to "Sell" mode at the trading deadline. He probably won't though.

Old
02-14-2006, 06:36 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
I agree. The 4 games returning from the Olympic break will probably give us the most accurate indication as to where this team is headed.

The Kings will face

Minnesota twice
Columbus
Detroit

The Kings from the first half of the season should win 2 or 3 of these games.

The Kings of the "Great Fall" would be lucky to win 1 of these games.

Anything less than a 2-2 record from these games will probably indicate the Kings are not playoff bound this year. If that is the case I really hope Taylor is prepared to switch to "Sell" mode at the trading deadline. He probably won't though.

First of all, not sure that a 2-2 record would signal that.

Second, that record likely wouldn't even bump the Kings from a playoff spot and, as such, would not prompt the Kings to become sellers...hell, last year this team was out of playoff position and picked up Anson Carter.

Third, nothing will make them abandon the almighty profit...at least nothing that can happen in the time before the deadline.

Old
02-14-2006, 06:53 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
First of all, not sure that a 2-2 record would signal that.

Second, that record likely wouldn't even bump the Kings from a playoff spot and, as such, would not prompt the Kings to become sellers...hell, last year this team was out of playoff position and picked up Anson Carter.

Third, nothing will make them abandon the almighty profit...at least nothing that can happen in the time before the deadline.

I said anything less than a 2-2 (meaning 1-3 or 0-4) record would probably indicate the Kings are not playoff bound. The reason I believe this is because the Columbus game is the easiest of the 4. If the Kings go 1-3 it would probably indicate the Kings lost twice to Minnesota and once to Detroit. That would more than likely bump the Kings all the way down to 9th place or less. Having 2 loses to the Wild alone would put Minnesota in a position to pass LA.

Do not forget that if Edmonton, Anaheim and San Jose win all of their "games in hand" they will all have better records than the Kings currently possess. If the Kings go 1-3 or 0-4 in their next 4 games after the break then those teams would probably only have to play .500 hockey to overtake Los Angeles.

That is the reasoning behind my statement that.....

Quote:
The 4 games returning from the Olympic break will probably give us the most accurate indication as to where this team is headed.
As much as I would like it not to be true if the Kings lost all of their games heading up to the trading deadline Taylor would still not switch to "Sell" mode.

Old
02-14-2006, 06:56 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
I said anything less than a 2-2 (meaning 1-3 or 0-4) record would probably indicate the Kings are not playoff bound. The reason I believe this is because the Columbus game is the easiest of the 4. If the Kings go 1-3 it would probably indicate the Kings lost twice to Minnesota and once to Detroit. That would more than likely bump the Kings all the way down to 9th place or less. Having 2 loses to the Wild alone would put Minnesota in a position to pass LA.

Do not forget that if Edmonton, Anaheim and San Jose win all of their "games in hand" they will all have better records than the Kings currently possess. If the Kings go 1-3 or 0-4 in their next 4 games after the break then those teams would probably only have to play .500 hockey to overtake Los Angeles.

That is the reasoning behind my statement that.....

As much as I would like it not to be true if the Kings lost all of their games heading up to the trading deadline Taylor would still not switch to "Sell" mode.
Well, despite specifics, I guess we're both agreed that this team's in it for the long haul...

Old
02-14-2006, 08:11 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
Well, despite specifics, I guess we're both agreed that this team's in it for the long haul...

Unfortunately yes.

OT....hey the avatars are back.

Old
02-15-2006, 09:46 AM
Steve_KINGS27

We will need to go 3-1 in those 4 games after the break to continue the momentum this team has after the 2 BIG wins against the Hawks and Stars.

Old
02-15-2006, 10:05 AM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Winning those 2 games didn't really change much - it just stopped the bleeding for the moment. There are still 3 teams with enough games in hand to overtake the 7th place Kings.

Old
02-15-2006, 10:06 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_KINGS27
We will need to go 3-1 in those 4 games after the break to continue the momentum this team has after the 2 BIG wins against the Hawks and Stars.
The win against the Stars was big.

The Hawks game was just another pathetic effort that, by chance, culminated in a win.

As you say, we'll see if they can take the positives from the Stars game and somehow translate that into some better efforts after the break. However, they've shown no signs of an improved team defense as of yet, so how they'll perform, even after a comeback win, is still unclear.

Old
02-15-2006, 10:53 AM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP
Winning those 2 games didn't really change much - it just stopped the bleeding for the moment. There are still 3 teams with enough games in hand to overtake the 7th place Kings.
You could of course say that baout every team int he playoffs as well so far...

Old
02-15-2006, 01:45 PM
kingbrath

vCash: 984
I think the only way the Kings should not fire Andy Murray..is if they pull off a 9 game winning streak after the break.

Closed Thread