HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Firewagon hockey 1985 playoffs

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2006, 11:45 AM
chooch*

vCash: 500
Firewagon hockey 1985 playoffs

Very interesting series occurred in 1985 playoffs in the West Conference. I am thinking of purchasing some dvds of it, but I wanted to hear if possible some recollections of those who watched it in the context of it being the highest scoring series by 1 team ever - Oilers 44 goals for.

Not sure the reason for the Oilers losses in G3 and G4, but the Blackhawks goalie was Murray Bannerman who must have played stellar to steal those games from the Oilers.

Game 1 Chicago 2 at Edmonton 11
Game 2 Chicago 3 at Edmonton 7
Game 3 Edmonton 2 at Chicago 5
Game 4 Edmonton 6 at Chicago 8
Game 5 Chicago 5 at Edmonton 10
Game 6 Edmonton 8 at Chicago 2

Did anyone watch it? I know earlier that year the Oilers had beat the Hawks 12-9 a game in which some individual records were set also.

You can take the new NHL and stuff it; I'd rather watch the old time firewagon hockey.

Old
02-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch
Very interesting series occurred in 1985 playoffs in the West Conference. I am thinking of purchasing some dvds of it, but I wanted to hear if possible some recollections of those who watched it in the context of it being the highest scoring series by 1 team ever - Oilers 44 goals for.

Not sure the reason for the Oilers losses in G3 and G4, but the Blackhawks goalie was Murray Bannerman who must have played stellar to steal those games from the Oilers.

Game 1 Chicago 2 at Edmonton 11
Game 2 Chicago 3 at Edmonton 7
Game 3 Edmonton 2 at Chicago 5
Game 4 Edmonton 6 at Chicago 8
Game 5 Chicago 5 at Edmonton 10
Game 6 Edmonton 8 at Chicago 2

Did anyone watch it? I know earlier that year the Oilers had beat the Hawks 12-9 a game in which some individual records were set also.

You can take the new NHL and stuff it; I'd rather watch the old time firewagon hockey.
I was young but I did watch the series. From what I remember, it was quite entertaining. Nothing quite as enjoyable as watching the Oil score many beatiful goals.

Even you would probably enjoy the DVDs of that series.

Old
02-14-2006, 12:31 PM
JimmyPage

This was vintage Oilers and this team was a pleasure to watch, better than any of the New NHL today. This Hawks team was pretty entertaining with Savard in his prime. Also, Sather and Savard had some kind of head-games/feud goin the whole series. The capper was near the end of series, during a stoppage in play, Savard and Sather exchanges verbals jabs and then Savard mimicking Sather and pretending he had a fat head. very funny.

Old
02-15-2006, 11:38 PM
ProngerRocks

The NHL was a watered down product back then with all the expansion and inherited teams - watch the bloody games - it was easier to score, the players are half the size they are today, with half the atheletism - it was glorified pond hockey by todays standards. Yes it was fun, but hockey has progressesed to a much higher standard of athelete and the hockey today is much more enjoyable

Old
02-16-2006, 12:01 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProngerRocks
The NHL was a watered down product back then with all the expansion and inherited teams - watch the bloody games - it was easier to score, the players are half the size they are today, with half the atheletism - it was glorified pond hockey by todays standards. Yes it was fun, but hockey has progressesed to a much higher standard of athelete and the hockey today is much more enjoyable
It was easier to score because of rules, smaller goalie equipment and a few other variables - NOT because the players were less athletic. That is all relative.

You must be in your early to mid 20s. You need to understand what evolution has done to the game - that would give you a better perspective on the greats of the past.

Old
02-16-2006, 12:56 AM
ProngerRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo
It was easier to score because of rules, smaller goalie equipment and a few other variables - NOT because the players were less athletic. That is all relative.

You must be in your early to mid 20s. You need to understand what evolution has done to the game - that would give you a better perspective on the greats of the past.

late 20's - and i attended a few Oiler games dating back to 1984 playoffs.

Back then - training camp was for getting into to shape
- the goalie equipment was much smaller - but so were the goalies
- look at rosters on hockeydb.com - the average size of a player back then was 5'10 180 - that is tiny in today's standards.

Players are bigger - means less ice to work with - players train year round - players come into camp in great shape or their sent packing.

you cant honestly tell me when you watch a game from the 80's that the overall size, skating ability, althletism of the players is far on par with today. Everytime i watch a game from the 80's i think im watching a midget game. players are much much much better now

Old
02-16-2006, 01:31 AM
Stephen

I agree.

If you watch a bunch of old 80s games and then you watch a game from today, you'll notice just how easy things looked out there. Most guys looked horrible out there in terms of skating technique and mechanics. Shots and passes looked much weaker. Goalies let goals in off the rush and would often get confused on pretty routine plays. Defensemen would cough up the puck on a regular basis. Everything was just so primitive back then. Yes, it was fun to watch, but the skill, athleticism and size of players has improved dramatically over the past twenty years. Just look at Eric Lindros when he was drafted in 1991. At 6'4", he was considered a behemoth by NHL standards. Nowadays, most teams have 5 or 6 players that size who can play the game.

Old
02-16-2006, 03:06 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProngerRocks
late 20's - and i attended a few Oiler games dating back to 1984 playoffs.

Back then - training camp was for getting into to shape
- the goalie equipment was much smaller - but so were the goalies
- look at rosters on hockeydb.com - the average size of a player back then was 5'10 180 - that is tiny in today's standards.

Players are bigger - means less ice to work with - players train year round - players come into camp in great shape or their sent packing.

you cant honestly tell me when you watch a game from the 80's that the overall size, skating ability, althletism of the players is far on par with today. Everytime i watch a game from the 80's i think im watching a midget game. players are much much much better now
It's called evolution. Everything today is bigger, better, faster and improved. That is how the world works. Computers today are better than they were in the 80s.

I am just saying that it is irrelevant. Evolution is always happening. The NHL of the 80s was the BEST hockey in the world at the time. Much like today's NHL is the best we have today. 50 years from now, people are going to look back at Crosby, Jagr, Alfredsson and Hasek and laugh at how crappy they were.

Evolution makes all things old look inferior but, you have to understand that they were the best at the time and compare them in that vein.

Old
02-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
I agree.

If you watch a bunch of old 80s games and then you watch a game from today, you'll notice just how easy things looked out there. Most guys looked horrible out there in terms of skating technique and mechanics. Shots and passes looked much weaker. Goalies let goals in off the rush and would often get confused on pretty routine plays. Defensemen would cough up the puck on a regular basis. Everything was just so primitive back then. Yes, it was fun to watch, but the skill, athleticism and size of players has improved dramatically over the past twenty years. Just look at Eric Lindros when he was drafted in 1991. At 6'4", he was considered a behemoth by NHL standards. Nowadays, most teams have 5 or 6 players that size who can play the game.
Lindros was 18 at the time and there are very few players bigger than Lindros now besides Chara, Hal Gill (who may be lighter) and a bunch of goons. Name a non-goon forward bigger or stronger than Lindros today.... I bet you can't.

Old
02-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo
It's called evolution. Everything today is bigger, better, faster and improved. That is how the world works. Computers today are better than they were in the 80s.

I am just saying that it is irrelevant. Evolution is always happening. The NHL of the 80s was the BEST hockey in the world at the time. Much like today's NHL is the best we have today. 50 years from now, people are going to look back at Crosby, Jagr, Alfredsson and Hasek and laugh at how crappy they were.

Evolution makes all things old look inferior but, you have to understand that they were the best at the time and compare them in that vein.
then stop comparing them.

either way, i dont care what you guys say, when i watch some of the 'highlight' reel goals from the 80's where the forward blows by the defenceman and then throws it at the net and all the goalie does is stand there and close his legs, having the puck magical rip through his equipment..... i laugh.

i just hate it when commentators try to compare new age hockey to vintage hockey, saying this is where they are trying to get back to... its evolution, the nhl has to move forward, not backwards.

Old
02-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Evil Sather
YOU KILL THE JOE

One thing I have to comment on is how the butterfly style took away TONS of ridiculously cheap low goals... have to wonder how much less scoring there would have been in the 80s if the butterfly had been as popular as it is today or in the late 90s. How many highlights have you seen where you're like "wow, that was an awful goal"?

Old
02-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup2006sensrule
Lindros was 18 at the time and there are very few players bigger than Lindros now besides Chara, Hal Gill (who may be lighter) and a bunch of goons. Name a non-goon forward bigger or stronger than Lindros today.... I bet you can't.
In terms of skilled players around the same size at about 6'3 and over and at least 215 pounds I can name:

Joe Thornton, 6'4" and 223 lbs
Todd Bertuzzi, 6'3" and 245 lbs
Mats Sundin, 6'5", and 231 lbs
Dany Heatley
Rick Nash
Vincent Lecavalier
Alexei Yashin
Jason Allison
Bobby Holik
Keith Primeau
Oleg Kvasha
Chris Gratton
Viktor Kozlov
Nik Antropov
Steve Rucchin
Alexei Ponikarovsky
Radek Bonk
Fredrik Modin
Jason Arnott
Brendan Shanahan
Trevor Linden

then you have a bunch of players who are either a bit shorter or a bit lighter

Jaromir Jagr is only 6'2" but he's 240 pounds
Eric Staal is 6'4" but only 205 pounds, but he'll definitely gain weight.
Jason Spezza is 6'3" and 211 pounds
Keith Tkachuk is only 6'2" but he's 235 pounds
Ilya Kovalchuk is 6'2" but weighs 235 pounds
Shane Doan is 6'2" and 215 pounds
Olli Jokinen is 6'3", 210 pounds
Petr Nedved
Miro Satan is 6'3" but around 200 pounds
Alexander Ovechkin is 6'2" and around 215 pounds

in terms of skilled defensemen at least 6'2", you have

Chris Pronger
Tom Poti
Bryan Allen
Derian Hatcher
Richard Matvichuk
Tomas Kaberle
Bryan Mccabe
Wade Redden
Vladimir Malahkov
Joni Pitkanen
Eric Brewer
Jay Bouwmeester
Roman Hamrlik
Dion Phaneuf

The point isn't that players are bigger than Lindros, it's that the average size of skilled players has increased dramaticaly since the days of the 1980s. Not only are tough guys getting bigger, but the skilled players are bigger too, which makes the game of today more competitive than it has ever been before.

Old
02-16-2006, 03:26 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilff
then stop comparing them.

either way, i dont care what you guys say, when i watch some of the 'highlight' reel goals from the 80's where the forward blows by the defenceman and then throws it at the net and all the goalie does is stand there and close his legs, having the puck magical rip through his equipment..... i laugh.

i just hate it when commentators try to compare new age hockey to vintage hockey, saying this is where they are trying to get back to... its evolution, the nhl has to move forward, not backwards.
When you mature a little in the future, maybe we can discuss this.

Closed Thread