HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shea Weber - Offseason Edition *mod warning post 1 and 376*

Old
05-02-2017, 09:21 PM
PaulD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerDave View Post
Yes, its Weber's fault we didn't beat the rangers... The offense did all they could but old man Weber really let em down.
lol so true.

Rinne had more points in the first round than Max.

Pageu is making them all look like chokers.

Rookie on the Pens (Guentzal) has 7 goals in 7 games. Max haver that in his career.

Yes it was Weber and Price that lost to the rangers. Not the habs laughable offense.

Taking that offense into another play off is pure abuse.

PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2017, 09:21 PM
True Tick and Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkza View Post
Weber played a great season. Hes fun to watch.
I didn't even notice him in about half the games. Sometimes, that's a good thing for a defender, but... I was expecting more from an all-star defenseman.

True Tick and Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2017, 09:22 PM
RealityBytes
Trash Remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Michaels View Post
And the year after, he'll cost 6M$ cheaper.
... even though it drops to that as direct salary, he will still count on the cap as $7,857K per year for eight years till the end of 2025-2026.

The only way that goes down is if he retires early, but then there is a cap readjustment. Nashville will get hit for four years with the bulk, but we'll still be hit for two if he retires in 2018. That readjustment gets worse if he retires later in his contract.

RealityBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2017, 09:23 PM
OnTheRun
Cheerleader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerDave View Post
Yes, its Weber's fault we didn't beat the rangers... The offense did all they could but old man Weber really let em down.
On a personal level, no its not his fault. His game, what he bring, wasn't what we needed to begin with.

Allowing too many goals wasn't our issue at any point.

OnTheRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2017, 09:34 PM
Deebs

I love having an elite defensemen on our team. Sergachev couldn't be matched with a better partner going forward. That's going to be a great combo

Deebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2017, 09:43 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
We need to get a partner for Weber this off-season. He can be great, but ideally he won't need to cover for the mistakes of a couple of bottom pairing guys like he did for most of this season.
I don't know what's harder, finding a #1C or finding a top PMD to play 20-25 mins a night next to Weber.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2017, 09:45 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Tick and Tin View Post
I didn't even notice him in about half the games. Sometimes, that's a good thing for a defender, but... I was expecting more from an all-star defenseman.
It is good, he quietly put up points.

My only issue is he was labeled as this super mean gritty d-man and he isn't. The mean streak was overblown.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2017, 09:46 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
I don't know what's harder, finding a #1C or finding a top PMD to play 20-25 mins a night next to Weber.

Who says you need a top PMD? That's ideal but if you get a legit PMD top 4 d-man it should be sufficient IMO.

Old
05-02-2017, 09:50 PM
sandviper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityBytes View Post
... even though it drops to that as direct salary, he will still count on the cap as $7,857K per year for eight years till the end of 2025-2026.

The only way that goes down is if he retires early, but then there is a cap readjustment. Nashville will get hit for four years with the bulk, but we'll still be hit for two if he retires in 2018. That readjustment gets worse if he retires later in his contract.
The cap hit is the issue I think for teams we may want to consider trading with in future. Contenders tend to be right up against the cap and while they won't care about his actual paid salary, that cap hit is going to tie some hands.

Anyhow, they really need to find a good PMD LD for him. I really don't want to see Markov, if resigned, on that first pairing.

sandviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2017, 09:53 PM
LyricalLyricist

Regarding the PMD, wasn't Fowler available to start the season for cap reasons? I know an injury occurred which freed cap but is he still a possibility? I think he'd be a good fit. Young enough to be a long term piece and talented enough to play top pair besides Weber. Played nearly 25 minutes a game this season.

Old
05-02-2017, 09:55 PM
RealityBytes
Trash Remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandviper View Post
The cap hit is the issue I think for teams we may want to consider trading with in future. Contenders tend to be right up against the cap and while they won't care about his actual paid salary, that cap hit is going to tie some hands.

Anyhow, they really need to find a good PMD LD for him. I really don't want to see Markov, if resigned, on that first pairing.
Absolutely! The only way out of it is to find a team/owner that is broke and can't afford to spend actual salary to take his cap hit on and then ride him out full contract. No competitive team will go for it.

Old
05-02-2017, 09:55 PM
Brainiac

Quote:

Eh... Weber won't retire in 2018. And even if he does, the penalties for us are small. Like pocket change small.

The real problem will be for Nashville when Weber gets to around 37 or 38. Now the recapture will be ridiculous. Like they'd rather trade us some picks just to be able to have him back and buy him out or put him on LTIR.

Brainiac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2017, 09:58 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
Eh... Weber won't retire in 2018. And even if he does, the penalties for us are small.

The real problem will be for Nashville when Weber gets to around 37 or 38. Now the recapture will be ridiculous. Like they'd rather trade us some picks just to be able to have him back and buy him out or put him on LTIR.
Having Weber back won't save them. The recapture is on the cap savings they had from front loading. The only way they aren't screwed is if he is legitimately on LTIR or keeps playing. Once he retires it's game over for them.

Old
05-02-2017, 10:00 PM
Brainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Having Weber back won't save them. The recapture is on the cap savings they had from front loading. The only way they aren't screwed is if he is legitimately on LTIR or keeps playing. Once he retires it's game over for them.
Well, pretty sure they can arrange something. If Weber retires, he gets no money. If he's on LTIR, he gets his full salary.

And anyways, you'd have to think that injury is probably the only thing that would lead to early retirement for a tank like Weber.

Brainiac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2017, 10:02 PM
RealityBytes
Trash Remover

Quote:
Eh... Weber won't retire in 2018. And even if he does, the penalties for us are small. Like pocket change small.

I know, I said that, I was answering the other poster's "next year" statement, but there will still be some adjustment for the Habs.

As for LTIR, he just can't go on it but does have to be injured, even though that can be fudged somewhat.

As for Weber, I think he will hang on till the $6M salaries run out. Then the sparks will fly. Would he play for $3M or $1M considering what he has already made? I don't think so.

Last edited by RealityBytes: 05-02-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old
05-02-2017, 10:03 PM
TheBuriedHab

Couldn't really ask for more other than converting those posts into goals. Solid and effective, just need to surround him with some good players to maximize what he is.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2017, 10:09 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Well, pretty sure they can arrange something. If Weber retires, he gets no money. If he's on LTIR, he gets his full salary.

And anyways, you'd have to think that injury is probably the only thing that would lead to early retirement for a tank like Weber.
With guaranteed money he won't retire, just LTIR. Look at Pronger.

I don't care about Nashville so wtv happens happens. To them getting a cap penalty is a discount on salaries.

We talk about win now for us but the pressure is also on in Nashville.

They need to win a cup before Subban's contract ends or hope Weber doesn't retire. If he does it will be a disaster for them to keep their star talent.

Old
05-02-2017, 10:12 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Couldn't really ask for more other than converting those posts into goals. Solid and effective, just need to surround him with some good players to maximize what he is.
He was one of a select group of players who actually showed up.

05-02-2017, 10:13 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Luck Run Amok View Post
Weber was good, not great and had a pretty OK playoffs. Don't know what quantifies as "fun" though.
Yea. "Great" gets overused here. He was very good games 1-3. Not so good after. Need more from him aside from his defensive play though.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2017, 10:17 PM
RealityBytes
Trash Remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
With guaranteed money he won't retire, just LTIR. Look at Pronger.

I don't care about Nashville so wtv happens happens. To them getting a cap penalty is a discount on salaries.

We talk about win now for us but the pressure is also on in Nashville.

They need to win a cup before Subban's contract ends or hope Weber doesn't retire. If he does it will be a disaster for them to keep their star talent.
My guess is that he tries to retire after 2021-2022, that's when his salary will drop. He will be older and aching, will have made a ton of money already, and I don't see him hanging on playing for three years at $1M or even one year at $3M. The contract is set up for him to retire early.

Old
05-02-2017, 10:40 PM
Adam Michaels

Quote:

Yes I am aware how the AAV works. The conversation earlier was related to his actual salary, not his cap hit.

Adam Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2017, 10:46 PM
Frank Drebin

Do you guys think Lernout is ready to take over for him next season?

Frank Drebin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2017, 11:02 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
And hopefully we trade his ass in a few years before the contract kills our franchise with all that negative value.

Dude's lost TEN points over ONE year, he won't lose another ten next year but if he keeps declining we are sure to have to rebuild.

Raise your standards, he got 40-something points and we won a measly two playoff games with him. Oh and his epic leadership got his coach fired... in January. He wasn't great this season.
Aww, somebody is all sad and stuff because.. a guy we aren't allowed to talk about got outplayed by Shea all year.

WAAAAAA IT'S SHEA'S FAULT.... NO ITS MAX'S FAULT! EVERYONE SUCKS!

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2017, 11:26 PM
monkza
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I loved that epic beatdown as much as any. But I bet JT Miller's face is enjoying being in the second round and not out on the lake fishing somewhere in BC.

Priorities, people. Weber is a playoff zero, hasn't ever even made it past the halfway mark and he's gonna be 32 next season.

i can tell ur still riding the guy on nashville.

monkza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2017, 11:48 PM
Toene
"Che" Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
Do you guys think Lernout is ready to take over for him next season?
Lernout is younger and more cost-controlled, Id take him over the geriatric Weber and his fat contract. ...

(sarcasm.jpg)

Toene is offline   Reply With Quote