HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shea Weber - Offseason Edition *mod warning post 1 and 376*

Old
05-03-2017, 10:21 AM
Toene
"Che" Weber

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
I used to get so irritated with W7s posts but once you know where he's coming from hes pretty funny.
Īle Bizard?

Toene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2017, 10:22 AM
LyricalLyricist
Retired

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighthead View Post
Because the NHL seems to make things up in the fly, I think they will find a way to forgive the hit to Nashville. Somehow they will change the rules. The original purpose of the hit was in part because of Brian Burke's hatred of Mike Gillis and the Luongo contract. I don't think the league wants to hamstring Nashville. Heck, look at what happened with Mike Richards in LA. Lombardi got off the hook.

As for Weber, good player no doubt. I was surprised by his puck movement on the PP. I thought he did a good job there. I expected more physical play out of him.

It's not his fault but the expectation that one player will prevent your goalie from getting run is just flawed. Hossa ran Price in the World Cup. Nash went to the crease hard without a second thought. It happens all around the league. It's one thing for fans to expect this but NHL personnel should realize it's not how it works. Lucic was on the ice when Savard got hit by Cooke.

Weber's shot is fun on the PP - huge anticipation factor. Much like last season, I think the PP would get more good looks from Subban/Weber if that wasn't the primary objective. Teams expect it and D it up. Quick puck movement seems to get the defenders moving and create more space from the point. Whatever Nashville is doing seems to work for letting the D tee it up.
Considering NJD actually got penalized for the kovalchuk contract(twice I believe) I don't see Nashville going away free.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2017, 10:34 AM
Habaholicgolfer
Loyal Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockomax View Post
Not the point though. He was acquired to win NOW. We most certainly did not, did we?
I believe Weber was acquired to add much needed toughness to the line-up. Not to say Subban is not tough but Weber plays like Chara while Subban plays like Karlsson.

We were is the same "win now" mode with Subban or with Weber.

Habaholicgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2017, 10:37 AM
Tighthead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Considering NJD actually got penalized for the kovalchuk contract(twice I believe) I don't see Nashville going away free.
Kovalchuk went to the KHL though, abandoning a valid contract. Bettman and the owners want to discourage and ouncihs that behaviour. The Leafs have got away with Robidas Island, and the Kings bought there way out of Richards with no precedent and I don't I recall correctly no provision in the CBA.

Weber is an NHL loyalist for sure and I don't think the League would want his contract leaving some toxic residue. I could be wrong, but sometimes the League seems to make it up as they go along. Nashville is one of the most successful Southern franchises which certainly helps.

Tighthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2017, 10:40 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsGorgeous View Post
We were is the same "win now" mode with Subban or with Weber.
And that's why the trade was ridiculous. The habs didn't get better or worse, they made a trade to stay in the same spot. It's about as lateral a move one could make in a short term window, at best.

They were so many other issues with the club. The Weber-Subban trade solved none of them.

Adding toughness didn't change the fact that the real problem with the Habs has been scoring. It was just pure distraction from the real issues which are still there. In fact, one could argue that moving Subban may have even hurt the offense come playoff time considering his performance during that part of the season and his superior ability over Weber to generate offense from the backend.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2017, 10:40 AM
Habaholicgolfer
Loyal Habs Fan

Quote:
This will be interesting to see how it develops but we have many years to wait yet. Will Gary be around by that point too? Hard to say if the Preds get penalized for another team (Flyers) circumventing the CBA and forcing the Preds hands. Doesn't seem fair to the Preds.

Realisticly, I can see Weber retiring around the age of 37 or 38 where is salary drops from $6M to $3M to $1M. That would be 3 or 4 years and the Preds would be on the hook for $6-8M of cap hit for that 3 or 4 year span.

Last edited by Habaholicgolfer: 05-03-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old
05-03-2017, 10:44 AM
Habaholicgolfer
Loyal Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
And that's why the trade was ridiculous. The habs didn't get better or worse, they made a trade to stay in the same spot. It's about as lateral a move one could make in a short term window, at best.

They were so many other issues with the club. The Weber-Subban trade solved none of them.
Yeah, I'm 50/50 on that trade. I totally understand why some are pissed off towards Bergevin. He's going to live with that trade for the rest of his life... A story not going away in our life time!

I do think Weber was a great acquisition though. It's hard to compare these guys IMO as both play different games. I think because Weber was acquired for the guy who the fans loved, some are deflating Weber's value. The trade is done. It's time to embrace what we have and ensure Weber is welcomed. He's not melting away tomorrow or anytime soon. He may even help get Price and Radulov resigned as he has earned that kind of respect across the league! Something not many are willing to admit.

Old
05-03-2017, 10:47 AM
Burke the Legend

We would see Weber's PP #s go back up if the Habs could get a credible shot on the right side. Galchenyuk is supposed to be that guy, he has a ++ one timer but can't seem to find the open ice (because he is dumb, or bad coaching, I don't know, but it is a problem), big disappointment. Patches and Radulov can find that open space but their shots are decent but not bombs.

This lets defenders focus in too much on Weber, by the end of the season we saw Markov shooting more than him, because Andrei had the open lane.

If Alex can't figure it out, maybe the Habs can acquire someone or maybe Lekhonen can be that guy. He has a very good shot and is better at finding the open ice, but they need another shot on the right side that can spread the focus off Weber.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2017, 11:02 AM
Toene
"Che" Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
We would see Weber's PP #s go back up if the Habs could get a credible shot on the right side. Galchenyuk is supposed to be that guy, he has a ++ one timer but can't seem to find the open ice (because he is dumb, or bad coaching, I don't know, but it is a problem), big disappointment. Patches and Radulov can find that open space but their shots are decent but not bombs.

This lets defenders focus in too much on Weber, by the end of the season we saw Markov shooting more than him, because Andrei had the open lane.

If Alex can't figure it out, maybe the Habs can acquire someone or maybe Lekhonen can be that guy. He has a very good shot and is better at finding the open ice, but they need another shot on the right side that can spread the focus off Weber.
They dont play AG there. He should be a fixture at the right dot, while Weber should always be at the left circle, in Ovie's spot, waiting for a blaster. Our 2 best shots/release always ready for a shot. Markov on the point distributing pucks. Gallagher/Shaw in front of the net, Radulov patrolling behind the net and passing to the circles or back to the blue-line.

Toene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2017, 11:12 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:

The only person who seems to have gotten the memo that Alex Galchenyuk has an amazing one timer from the right circle is Andrei Markov. For some reason he didn't really play there this year, and besides, Weber doesn't seem to be capable of making that cross seam pass.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2017, 12:02 PM
WhiskeySeven
Expect the expected

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebs View Post
Even you have to be getting tired of posting the same BS day in and day out
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkza View Post
i can tell ur still riding the guy on nashville.
I'll continue to make my point until all of you admit you were terribly wrong and apologise (to me, and the rest of the board) for the things you've said and thought about the trade.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2017, 12:08 PM
Habaholicgolfer
Loyal Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I'll continue to make my point until all of you admit you were terribly wrong and apologise (to me, and the rest of the board) for the things you've said and thought about the trade.
That works two ways . However, I get the feeling you will never admit you were wrong. If we win a cup with Weber and Weber scores the OT winner in game 7, your going to say this... Yeah but Subban could of done that too. Also, I can only imagine what your going to say if the Preds win a Cup this year. Boy oh boy... your going to give it to us! lol

Old
05-03-2017, 12:10 PM
LyricalLyricist
Retired

Quote:
I can't because I like Bergevin's taste in pants.

Old
05-03-2017, 12:12 PM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
The only person who seems to have gotten the memo that Alex Galchenyuk has an amazing one timer from the right circle is Andrei Markov. For some reason he didn't really play there this year, and besides, Weber doesn't seem to be capable of making that cross seam pass.
I hope it gets sorted out next season...If AG still with the club.... The Habs should have the best double one-timer threat in the league with those two, and a top ranked PP. Instead AG isn't in position, or isn't getting the puck, or in the doghouse riding the bench and defenders can cheat on Weber with close coverage and not be punished, end result is mediocre 20% PP (better than 16% of previous 2 seasons at least).

Old
05-03-2017, 12:18 PM
WhiskeySeven
Expect the expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsGorgeous View Post
That works two ways . However, I get the feeling you will never admit you were wrong. If we win a cup with Weber and Weber scores the OT winner in game 7, your going to say this... Yeah but Subban could of done that too. Also, I can only imagine what your going to say if the Preds win a Cup this year. Boy oh boy... your going to give it to us! lol
I've repeatedly said I'll kiss BargainBin's hair-gel encrusted fauxhawk if we win the cup. Just once. That's all I want. One cup.

If Weber wins us a cup, forget it. I'll love the guy forever and ever.

If any former Hab (who I preferred to their replacement) wins the cup, if it fits, I'll make sure to remind those who supporting the transaction how wrong they were. Because when it comes to this current regime, I've been right wayyyy moer than I've been wrong.

I had BargainBin & Co. figured out from the first summer, in fact, after the draft there was a ton of hype but then free agency rolled around and his first press conferences and I knew it, we were screwed. He signed Armstrong, Prust, and Bouillon. Players who'd neither help us tank, nor re-tool, nor rebuild, and especially not compete. His conference indicated he was arrogant, dumb as rocks, and untrustworthy. He spoke in lame platitudes and idioms. He wasn't forthright. Anyway, dig up my posts, you'll see.

This Weber trade is a looming disaster. Like the sword of damocles it will swing above and over us.

Quote:
I can't because I like Bergevin's taste in pants.
You're clearly part of the problem.

Old
05-03-2017, 12:26 PM
Forum93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

Adding toughness didn't change the fact that the real problem with the Habs has been scoring. It was just pure distraction from the real issues which are still there. In fact, one could argue that moving Subban may have even hurt the offense come playoff time considering his performance during that part of the season and his superior ability over Weber to generate offense from the backend.
I'm on the side the trade made the Habs worse, not a lateral change, when you factor in age difference and offensive impact - both regular season and play-offs.

Forum93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2017, 12:36 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
A third party doctor (as in, not a team doctor) would have to agree that he's too injured to play to go on LTIR if I'm not mistaken. You can't just put someone there to bury their contract if they aren't hurt/
I would think so since it would be the teams insurance paying his salary and we all know how much insurance likes to just pay for no reason.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2017, 12:38 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
I've repeatedly said I'll kiss BargainBin's hair-gel encrusted fauxhawk if we win the cup. Just once. That's all I want. One cup.

If Weber wins us a cup, forget it. I'll love the guy forever and ever.

If any former Hab (who I preferred to their replacement) wins the cup, if it fits, I'll make sure to remind those who supporting the transaction how wrong they were. Because when it comes to this current regime, I've been right wayyyy moer than I've been wrong.

I had BargainBin & Co. figured out from the first summer, in fact, after the draft there was a ton of hype but then free agency rolled around and his first press conferences and I knew it, we were screwed. He signed Armstrong, Prust, and Bouillon. Players who'd neither help us tank, nor re-tool, nor rebuild, and especially not compete. His conference indicated he was arrogant, dumb as rocks, and untrustworthy. He spoke in lame platitudes and idioms. He wasn't forthright. Anyway, dig up my posts, you'll see.

This Weber trade is a looming disaster. Like the sword of damocles it will swing above and over us.
More time W7, more time. How do we know he won't win a cup next year, it's not like the last 5 years are pointing to continued playoff failure...

Old
05-03-2017, 12:39 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
It doesn't even need to be a #1 or #2 defenseman... just someone who isn't 38 years old, or a bottom pairing guy.

If Petry could play on the left side, I think that would work.
It's asinine that we need to find a mediocre PMD to play over his head in a #1 or #2 spot, when we had one of the best PMD in the league.

Pure stupidity that man. Pure stupidity.

Old
05-03-2017, 12:51 PM
Burke the Legend

Did you guys not read the warning? Stop blubbering about Subban and MB. There's other threads for that (like 90% of the current discussions). This thread is the fantastic player that is Shea Weber!!

Old
05-03-2017, 12:53 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Did you guys not read the warning? Stop blubbering about Subban and MB. There's other threads for that (like 90% of the current discussions). This thread is the fantastic player that is Shea Weber!!
Never heard of him.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2017, 12:54 PM
mariolemieux66

Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Quote:
It doesn't even need to be a #1 or #2 defenseman... just someone who isn't 38 years old, or a bottom pairing guy.

If Petry could play on the left side, I think that would work.
Petry is an inconsistent #3 or #4 dmen that provides 30-35 points a season max. Markov is fine on the top pairing during the regular season and for the first 4 or 5 playoffs games, but doesn't have much left after that, as he cant handle playoffs physicallity.

Trading Subban was very stupid. PK was the best offensive catalyst on this team and am extremly good defensively. A guy like Marc Methot would have been a great partner for PK.

This team need a #2 dmen that is offensively gifted and that can move the puck, not some bottom pairing D like MAB or Barberio.

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2017, 01:21 PM
LyricalLyricist
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolemieux66 View Post
Petry is an inconsistent #3 or #4 dmen that provides 30-35 points a season max. Markov is fine on the top pairing during the regular season and for the first 4 or 5 playoffs games, but doesn't have much left after that, as he cant handle playoffs physicallity.

Trading Subban was very stupid. PK was the best offensive catalyst on this team and am extremly good defensively. A guy like Marc Methot would have been a great partner for PK.

This team need a #2 dmen that is offensively gifted and that can move the puck, not some bottom pairing D like MAB or Barberio.
Habs need another top 4 D, a PMD. Doesn't need to be a top 2 but can't be bottom 6. That's all IMO.

Old
05-03-2017, 01:34 PM
WhiskeySeven
Expect the expected

Quote:
Habs need another top 4 D, a PMD. Doesn't need to be a top 2 but can't be bottom 6. That's all IMO.
Del Zotto should be available for cheap. Ghost Bear too. There's a few others I spotted over the fantasy season too.

I really want to sign Sam Gagner and Michael del Zotto on BargainBin-esque deals.

Old
05-03-2017, 01:46 PM
mariolemieux66

Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Quote:
Del Zotto should be available for cheap. Ghost Bear too. There's a few others I spotted over the fantasy season too.

I really want to sign Sam Gagner and Michael del Zotto on BargainBin-esque deals.
They should fit right in in the village with the rest of the smurfs.

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote