HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECSF: Capitals vs Penguins (Pens win) (mod warning post 806)

Old
05-04-2017, 12:38 AM
hockeyfanatic89

vCash: 500
Mark my words: This team will win Saturday and win three straight. I honestly believe it.

hockeyfanatic89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2017, 12:43 AM
TRASHCAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelenok View Post
Honestly, I just cannot believe how pathetic this team is. No heart & soul whatsoever. Especially Ovi. I really think, Ted should trade him after this season while he still has decent value. I don't know what happened to him. When you know your legacy on the line and this is one of the most important games of your life... and you play like today. I just cannot explain it. Seriously what happened with the guy that once was described by everybody, including Canadian media as "every game is the last game for this kid"...
Probably all the constant post season failure.

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2017, 12:44 AM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanatic89 View Post
Mark my words: This team will win Saturday and win three straight. I honestly believe it.
All right. I'm a believer. Let's do it.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2017, 12:48 AM
hockeyfanatic89

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
All right. I'm a believer. Let's do it.
To be fair, I'm a positive guy to begin with. I just think this team is going to surprise alot of people.

hockeyfanatic89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2017, 12:50 AM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

just saw their second goal. you have got to be kidding me.
out shot them again 38-19 or something?

i have no words. tin-*****.

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2017, 12:57 AM
fashi13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demandedace View Post
Did he have an actually good team there? You can't just use record out of context, give a guy a bunch of spare parts and he is sure to not do great. His analysis is generally spot on and he isn't afraid to say what is on everyone's mind or call out underperformers.

I honestly believe you are a liar if you can truthfully say you've never entertained the notion of May being on the Caps' coaching staff. Maybe not as HC, but someone in the lockeroom to shake things up
Agreed. I've always wanted someone like May or Stevens behind the bench as an assistant. This team has always needed someone with a little rage in their heart to yell at them "grab their sacks" and kick them in the ass.

fashi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2017, 01:06 AM
pocketrockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanatic89 View Post
To be fair, I'm a positive guy to begin with. I just think this team is going to surprise alot of people.
I mean they are are running out of time if they want to surprise everyone...in fact so far they've lived upto their MO more than any team in the playoffs.

Hears to hoping you are correct though.

pocketrockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2017, 01:09 AM
ThePsychicSaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck832 View Post
f it here's a book.

I have a history of depression/suicidal thoughts. When you work through that stuff you learn to evaluate what is a positive in your life and what is a negative. I learned to shed the negative and am much happier now. Don't want sympathy just want people to understand where I'm coming from.

It is not fun to be a capitals fan.

I honestly can't even explain to anyone or myself why I watch the games.

First, hockey in general is not very much fun to watch. More than any other sport it relies on bounces to decide contests. I can deal with this when the team is either extremely hard working or creative. Only hard working and creative don't win you anything. In fact it gets you told over and over that your playing wrong.

There is no joy in being a fan of this team. Our "rivals" are a team with multiple cups, multiple generational hall of fame players and an incessant love from commentators who almost to a one have a past involvement with the franchise.

We are the biggest "chokers", "losers", "failures". Win a playoff game in overtime but you can't enjoy it because "you never should have been in ot against the team". Lose a playoff game in overtime " they outworked you, they have a playoff gear, they are warriors."

Dominate regular season, doesn't matter. Have a great competitive playoff series, doesn't matter. The choker label doesn't wash easy. Which for a player must be hard but as a fan is brutal. You don't get paid. You get pride for a win, you get heartbreak for a loss. When fans, media, anxiety, no longer allow for the pride what is the point?

It's the high you feel when they give you just a little hope. It's the expectation that eventually it will be okay and living through this part will make that part sweeter.
It's a toxic relationship. I gave those up.

So I think I'm done. If I'm honest I probably stopped actually enjoying the mechanics of hockey a long time ago. I'm not giving up on the team. I hope they win out and raise the cup. But even if they do i don't think it will actually mean anything to me. Maybe taking a step back will rekindle my love of the sport not the team.

This was a hard fought game we lost on a bad bounce. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't have your best interest at heart. Good game, tough loss.

sorry for so much text no one cares about. Just needed to write it down.

I'll check for a reply cause I can't help myself, otherwise good luck to you all I hope the next few weeks are awesome for you because of or despite what happens with this team. But I'm done lurking on here everyday.
Wow man, great post.

this resonates with me a lot. Was on the verge of typing something similar on the bumperboards not even 10minutes ago like this, but didn't. thanks for doing it.

ThePsychicSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2017, 03:21 AM
ovikovy817

vCash: 50
Who has the replay of Carlson penalty on Wilson (roughing)??? Because nbcsn didn't show the replay (at least on nhl.Tv). That was the turning point of the game imo. Caps came back at 2-2 and were dominating, and it seems like the refs give them a break, to change the momentum and the pens did even better than just breathe, they score the GWG.

BTW, I thought in the postseason, the refs don't whistle in the last 2 minutes of the game?? (cf: malkin in game3). **** you bonino and refs.

I hate this team, don't ****ing comeback if you still lose, like in game 1. That hurt the most.

Now, you have to take game by game, shift by shift. Hopefully, the next game it's at home.

That 2nd goal by the Pens, is even worse than the Matthews goal in G6.

Last edited by ovikovy817: 05-04-2017 at 03:26 AM.
ovikovy817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2017, 05:07 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
don't think its a shock at all. I am not surprised that Wilson has not turned around every poster to seeing his value as a player, but I think most of the leave Wilson unprotected crew has changed their minds. I did say most.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2017, 05:29 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovikovy817 View Post
Who has the replay of Carlson penalty on Wilson (roughing)??? Because nbcsn didn't show the replay (at least on nhl.Tv). That was the turning point of the game imo. Caps came back at 2-2 and were dominating, and it seems like the refs give them a break, to change the momentum and the pens did even better than just breathe, they score the GWG.

BTW, I thought in the postseason, the refs don't whistle in the last 2 minutes of the game?? (cf: malkin in game3). **** you bonino and refs.

I hate this team, don't ****ing comeback if you still lose, like in game 1. That hurt the most.

Now, you have to take game by game, shift by shift. Hopefully, the next game it's at home.

That 2nd goal by the Pens, is even worse than the Matthews goal in G6.
Bonino needs to pay for that, one way or another.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2017, 05:31 AM
Capsman

Rossi should ask Sullivan if that Bonino acting job was a hockey play.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2017, 05:36 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedsuitcase View Post
I get it, but question how someone can just shrug it off.
Do what you gotta do for you and some of us will still be here torturing ourselves.
When I can give up the board and the conversation, I will be over it. Right now I cant watch the games anymore. I do keep up with them. Check the score regular or keep the game box score on the computer or something.

Last night I watched the open without sound and saw Dave Steckel's picture and walked a way. I came back just in time to see Hornqvist score and I switched the tv off. I checked the score to see it was 2-0 and went back to work. I checked again to see it was 2-2. Before my smile was fully formed it changed to 3-2 and I went on with my life.

Bottom line is that its not fun. They are what they are and this is it. Each year makes the next year harder and I mean that about the players and coaches and the franchise. They are a laughing stock and there is just no way that doesn't effect them. It gets progressively hard to enjoy anything they do in the regular season because its just a tease.

I wont watch another Caps hockey game til its g1 of the 3rd round. Whatever year that happens to be. I have to talk to directv anyway. So I will cancel the hockey package for next season when I call.

btw....you know whats going to happen. Right? they are going to step up and win game 5 and 6 and then find some unbelievable new way to lose game 7.

I just cant watch anymore. Its not fun. Its suppose to be fun

Old
05-04-2017, 05:44 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portable Mink View Post
just saw their second goal. you have got to be kidding me.
out shot them again 38-19 or something?

i have no words. tin-*****.
Lets be honest. Holtby needs to stop that breakaway from Holmqvist. He stops those most of the time. That early the Caps needed a save. A Vezina level goalie winning a cup stops that. Fluery apparently would have. Sucks about the Carlson penalty but how was Schultz allowed to beat Holtby with a clean shot from that far away? With a 38-19 or whatever shot advantage, the Caps should have scored 5 and the details of one penalty or bounce or whatever shouldn't have mattered.

Holthy has always been money in the playoffs when the Caps might not have had much else going. This time around with just a solid performance on a consistant basis, the Caps are winning. Instead Holtby stinks. What are the odds of that? Holtby stinking.

Old
05-04-2017, 05:45 AM
Caps8112

im normally extremely negative about the team even tho ive followed them since the 80s and watch almost every game. I still think they will push this series a lot further. Not going to get all invested because they shouldnt be able to but still think this goes 7. A team cannot be severely outplayed for 3 out of 4 games turtling and expect it to continue. Im not blaming refs either. Its simple Fleury is not as good as he is playing and the caps A shooters are not as bad as they have been. Something has to give. If the pens win the cup tho I dont see how Fleury is not the Smythe winner. Everyone else on the pens including Malkin is a long for the ride.

Caps8112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2017, 06:00 AM
hb11xchamps

There has to be some lineup changes. Go back to 6 D and give Connolly, Carey, or Stephenson a sweater. Holtby, Ovechkin, and Backstrom all need to be better if they push it to 7 games

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2017, 06:22 AM
ovikovy817

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
When I can give up the board and the conversation, I will be over it. Right now I cant watch the games anymore. I do keep up with them. Check the score regular or keep the game box score on the computer or something.

Last night I watched the open without sound and saw Dave Steckel's picture and walked a way. I came back just in time to see Hornqvist score and I switched the tv off. I checked the score to see it was 2-0 and went back to work. I checked again to see it was 2-2. Before my smile was fully formed it changed to 3-2 and I went on with my life.

Bottom line is that its not fun. They are what they are and this is it. Each year makes the next year harder and I mean that about the players and coaches and the franchise. They are a laughing stock and there is just no way that doesn't effect them. It gets progressively hard to enjoy anything they do in the regular season because its just a tease.

I wont watch another Caps hockey game til its g1 of the 3rd round. Whatever year that happens to be. I have to talk to directv anyway. So I will cancel the hockey package for next season when I call.

btw....you know whats going to happen. Right? they are going to step up and win game 5 and 6 and then find some unbelievable new way to lose game 7.

C'mon, you know it's over in 6.

Old
05-04-2017, 06:32 AM
Blades of Steel
log off.

This year same **** different reason, still tons of goals going in off our guys skates into our own net.. and we have a cold goalie

Blades of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2017, 06:35 AM
Caps8112

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post

I say the same thing after every postseason mad as hell and somehow get duped back into it every october. the worst part is the anti christ and the penguins winning now. Stanley Cup for me use to be when the pens got knocked out every year but now they are winning cups again. Luckily I got to work sat, and although I think the caps will win I wont be watching it.

Old
05-04-2017, 06:37 AM
Caps8112

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
There has to be some lineup changes. Go back to 6 D and give Connolly, Carey, or Stephenson a sweater. Holtby, Ovechkin, and Backstrom all need to be better if they push it to 7 games
press box orpik, bring up the bears, give vrana a shot, might as well get him use to caps playoff disasters haha. People probably wont agree with me but imo Holtby has let the caps down this postseason more then any caps goalie ever has.

Old
05-04-2017, 06:39 AM
Newfy OilPenguin

Hey guys, (Im actual an Oilers fan don't breat out the pitchforks just yet ) just wondering why Connolly has been scratched. I thought he had a good year? You guys have warm bodies like Winnik out there really just spending three hours skating around the rink.

Also, if Holtby even plays half decent you'd be up in this series for sure. Guy hasn't looked good all postseason

Newfy OilPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2017, 06:41 AM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

Plucky is word of the day, because it rhymes with ****y

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Playing with no contributions from your best forward, dman and goalie? Challenge accepted. We can do the same.
Early candidate for post of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovikovy817 View Post
Who has the replay of Carlson penalty on Wilson (roughing)???
There is a gif in the GDT - quick scan after the 2nd period and you will see it pretty quickly. Tremendous embellishment. Gold medal tremendous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
There has to be some lineup changes
I think Barry missed the chance to shuffle for game 4. Our bottom 6 had gone cold long before now. How risky it is to try to swap 90 and 65, 43 and Justin for a few shifts? Outside of the odd chance and hitting from Wilson, both 3 and 4 are invisible. Winnik and Beagle don't even try to hit - a common thing for 4th liners providing zippy offense.

7D dynamic pairings... that Alzner Orpik gaffe is mind boggling. Alzner's wave you get him was the icing on the cake - likely our last memory of him in DC. Then Wilson gets a semi break up the middle, of course both Pitt DMen collapse proper and take him down, and they call Willy for a penalty. You cannot make this stuff up.

Ovi was our worst forward last night. All pens were easily neutralizing him and taking the puck over and over.

Feeling rant coming.... channel to hf for standard April therapy... plucky ducky ****y, plucky diddly dang ****, can't you morons do anything right? #CanadianNed

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-04-2017 at 06:46 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2017, 06:46 AM
ovikovy817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfy OilPenguin View Post
Hey guys, (Im actual an Oilers fan don't breat out the pitchforks just yet ) just wondering why Connolly has been scratched. I thought he had a good year? You guys have warm bodies like Winnik out there really just spending three hours skating around the rink.

Also, if Holtby even plays half decent you'd be up in this series for sure. Guy hasn't looked good all postseason
Connolly had 1 good month, like the whole 3rd line. Winnik is here for PK.

RandyHolt -> Yeah thanks, I saw the gif, and if not the refs, we would go in the locker room after 2nd with at least 1 goal advantage I'm sure.

Old
05-04-2017, 06:57 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caps8112 View Post
I say the same thing after every postseason mad as hell and somehow get duped back into it every october..
I have succeeded in not watching the games since I said I would stop. I am pulling out tomorrow morning for an important test weekend with the new race car and I wont be able to see the game Saturday.

I hope they win, but again I wont be watching.

We have been less and less interested in the tv available on Directv and have been considering changes. I live outside of the DC metro and no nhl package means very few Caps games available to me.

I quit them in the mid late 90s when I moved away from Washington and seeing them wasn't an option. I can do it again.

Frankly it would be different if they were a loser team like...the Leafs. Occasionally have a decent team maybe but lose when you are supposed to lose.

The team is a punchline and frankly it reflects on me as a fan. If I were Ted, I would start to worry about my revenue base. The Atlanta Braves did this in the past and it destroyed their attendance so badly that they couldn't sell out playoff games.

Old
05-04-2017, 07:02 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caps8112 View Post
press box orpik, bring up the bears, give vrana a shot, might as well get him use to caps playoff disasters haha. People probably wont agree with me but imo Holtby has let the caps down this postseason more then any caps goalie ever has.
Not really any worse than Pete Peeters or Varly even. Except Peeters and Varly were not supposed to be better than Olie Kolzig.

Lets be honest. Complain all you want to about any of the skaters, but the 1st and 3rd goals should never have gone in and there are goals like that in each game they have lost. Its why they are losing. Lack of confidence in your goaltending effects every facet of your game.

It was the last thing I would have predicted. Holtby choking. There is really nothing left to believe in.