HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

USA/Latvia tie...

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2006, 04:17 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
USA/Latvia tie...

3-3...didn't see the game because the TV in our trading room has fuzzy reception (that, and working in a different area).

Old
02-15-2006, 04:23 PM
DutchShamrock

Well, I guess Tkachuk's value won't get too high because of the Olympics.

Old
02-15-2006, 04:26 PM
Fletch

It's tough...

for many NHLers to play 50+ games with 17 other guys (including 2 goalies) then to be asked after those 50 games to joing 17 totally different guys, possibly playing a different role (i.e., first line with tons of PP time vs. second line with little, or even third) and be able to mesh with those guys. Not making excuses, but I gather it's tough to get used to new coaches, systems and players after finally re-learning the game after an 18 month-ish layoff and 50+ games.

Old
02-15-2006, 04:34 PM
Zil

Did anybody catch the ref/linesman with the camera on his helmet? It was one of the strangest things I've ever seen on a hockey rink.

Old
02-15-2006, 04:40 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I'm sorry, but I couldn't get into this game at all. Almost every Team USA shot was from the perimeter. The numbers would say Irbe stood on his head, but an NHL-calibre goalie like Irbe didn't have a tough time with the shots from the angles, even though he still let in some softies.

Once again, I wasn't impressed. Sweden played great, and Canada really turned it on after Italy hung around for a little bit. But Team USA deserves its result today.

Old
02-15-2006, 04:55 PM
Ola

Guys don't underestimate "the jetlag" and Latvias quickness up front.

I doubt US will go 0-3 against Slovakia, Russia and Sweden. Latvias quickness was a perfect fit against Hatcher and Co. The commentators mentioned something about US having the biggest team in the tournament, I am not sure about that, but they will be able to controll a team like Russia for example pretty well. I would not put allot of money on Russia against US thats for sure...

BTW the tournament is long. In the medal round it is as much mental as anything else. Very often in these kind of tournaments teams come from behind and take big scalps in the medal round.

Old
02-15-2006, 05:01 PM
SChan*

I'd say the US team will be ok and upset canada in the quarters

Old
02-15-2006, 05:09 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
The 3rd period USA dominated but couldn't get a really good chance in front on the net. Like someone else said, a lot of shots all from the outside which Irbe should be able to stop.

Old
02-15-2006, 05:14 PM
FLYLine24*

Haven't watch the game yet but geeze.....they couldn't be Latvia.....? Doesn't seem very promising.

Old
02-15-2006, 05:15 PM
SChan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Haven't watch the game yet but geeze.....they couldn't be Latvia.....? Doesn't seem very promising.
It's actually not that bad. I don't know how many times sweden has played their best hockey during groupstage to be upsetted in the quarters.

Old
02-15-2006, 05:24 PM
The Dawg*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
for many NHLers to play 50+ games with 17 other guys (including 2 goalies) then to be asked after those 50 games to joing 17 totally different guys, possibly playing a different role (i.e., first line with tons of PP time vs. second line with little, or even third) and be able to mesh with those guys. Not making excuses, but I gather it's tough to get used to new coaches, systems and players after finally re-learning the game after an 18 month-ish layoff and 50+ games.
ya its also tough (for latvia) to win when you have far worse talent and players not very capable

Old
02-15-2006, 05:29 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
I had meetings all afternoon, only got back to my room after the game....

What the heck happened?

Old
02-15-2006, 05:29 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
we completely dominated that game in every way possible.

Faceoffs were like : 55 -16 US
Hits were something like : 38-10 US
Shots were what... 42-18? US

I mean basically we were controlling the play 80% of the time, Irbe stood on his head and Latvia played a smart counter game. Much like the Devils used to play. And the goaltending for the US was adequate, but not great. Grahme made the saves he should have.

It was frustrating to watch for sure.

Old
02-15-2006, 05:53 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
basically they played worse than my old high school team in the second period. at one point they let up three 2 on 1's in 2 minutes. they were dreadful. we need to beat the hell out of kaz tomorrow, and to make the elimination round, we're going to need to get 3 points out of sweden/slovakia/russia, and that is assuming we win tomorrow.

note: poster above is right. we dominated all the intangibles, our defense was a bit slow, and irbe was much better than grahame.

Old
02-15-2006, 06:28 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
Wait yur actually SURPRISED that this happened?

Were lucky we didnt get beat.

Old
02-15-2006, 06:36 PM
ThisYearsModel

Team USA is Weak

They suck. It is a poorly constructed accumulation of ill-fitting parts. Goaltending is mediocre, defense is old and slow. Schneider was particularly bad today........constantly rushing up and getting caught. We would be better off with some of the kids like Johnson and Kessell than the washed up Weight, Guerin, Tkachuk and Modano. And Derian Hatcher? Puhleeze. They suck. The good teams will hammer them. They might miss the quarterfinals.

Old
02-15-2006, 06:54 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel
They suck. It is a poorly constructed accumulation of ill-fitting parts. Goaltending is mediocre, defense is old and slow. Schneider was particularly bad today........constantly rushing up and getting caught. We would be better off with some of the kids like Johnson and Kessell than the washed up Weight, Guerin, Tkachuk and Modano. And Derian Hatcher? Puhleeze. They suck. The good teams will hammer them. They might miss the quarterfinals.
Spoken like a real HF Boards poster. Phil Kessel is definitely >>> Mike Modano

Old
02-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Skroob*

If it comes down to Montoya vs. Lundqvist in a few years, and as much as Lundqvist is loved by all right now, you have to take Al just so we can continue the history of having great Ranger goalies for international play (see: Richter, Beezer).

Old
02-15-2006, 08:30 PM
NYR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27
Spoken like a real HF Boards poster. Phil Kessel is definitely >>> Mike Modano
Seriously lol. Of all the guys from that list the last one that should be called washed up is Modano. He's having a great season considering what he did the last one before the lockout.

Old
02-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Phil333

I'm not upset with the individual performance. A few too many guys were trying to do it all themselves but that;s what happens w. all-star games. By the end of the preliminary round they will gell as a team and they can compete with any team. Does that mean I think they will win it all? No. But don't get upset cause of one game. Now if they tied/lost tomorrow's game, an all out freaking session would be allowed.

Old
02-15-2006, 10:08 PM
TheZherdev

it seems like this team is missing a person or to. Hmm... o thats right they forgot miller and leetch! W/e they have the youngster Chellios on the team.

Old
02-15-2006, 10:22 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I just cant get into my country's team because there just not good. I watched Russia and Slovakia and you can easily the difference in talent and skill level. Slovakia and Russia were getting chances almost every shift. USA was struggling to get decent scoring chances. Its very sad. I dont care what anyone says about how Latvia played, there still not even an average team in this Olympics because they tied USA 3-3, because USA is awful. I hope they turn it around, but again when you look around there just not nearly as good as the power houses like Canada, Sweden, Russia, Czechs, Slovakia, and Finland.

Old
02-15-2006, 10:32 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
3-3...didn't see the game because the TV in our trading room has fuzzy reception (that, and working in a different area).
not a huge deal since this is an early round game...but in the future could you keep the result out of the thread title. i was planning on watching the game when i got home and you killed the suspense.

Old
02-15-2006, 11:05 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
not a huge deal since this is an early round game...but in the future could you keep the result out of the thread title. i was planning on watching the game when i got home and you killed the suspense.
He could just as easily say "Don't read the message boards then."

Old
02-16-2006, 12:24 AM
BlueShirt

What do you expect from a bunch of Flyers, Islanders, and Devils? I am honestly not rooting for USA this Olympics. As a Rangers fan, they have too many players I can't stand and no Rangers. It's hard to just turn those feelings off during the break.

I am pulling for Jags and company for obvious reasons. They too started off slow however Germany really came to play. Ollie the goalie looked strong and I think Germany will give some teams fits.

BTW, it's nice to work from home. I get to slack off and see most all of the games and in HD at that.

Closed Thread