HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

If he went to Dallas, then the Kings definitely passed...

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2006, 05:51 PM
TubbyTerrion*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
If he went to Dallas, then the Kings definitely passed...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=155004&hubname=nhl

Old
02-15-2006, 09:10 PM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
True - along with the 24 other NHL organ-I-zations ahead of the Stars in the waiver draft. Is this another "we shoulda, cuz someone in our division (fill in the blank)ed" thread starter?

I'd much rather have Ken Belanger on our roster, but the toughness factor has been there (imo) for most of the season. Tom Kostopolousandasideoftahini will never be mistaken for Bob Probert, but Messrs. Cowan, Avery, Parros and Gleason can all step up if called upon within their respective weight classes.

Last edited by multiball: 02-16-2006 at 02:46 AM.
Old
02-15-2006, 09:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Why do you think he was even on waivers *twice* to begin with?

Old
02-15-2006, 11:31 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Why do you think he was even on waivers *twice* to begin with?

Minor detail like that....

Old
02-16-2006, 09:11 AM
TubbyTerrion*

Hey, one could then say... Why do you think Dallas picked him up?

Old
02-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
Hey, one could then say... Why do you think Dallas picked him up?
Indeed, considering they already have Garrett Burnett, Nathan Perrott, and now Stevenson.

Old
02-16-2006, 09:48 AM
TubbyTerrion*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Indeed, considering they already have Garrett Burnett, Nathan Perrott, and now Stevenson.
minor detail like that...

Old
02-16-2006, 10:06 AM
willie

Whoop. Dee. Doo.

Are you actually *****ing at DT over this?

Old
02-16-2006, 12:02 PM
Game Misconduct

I wouldn't have picked him up either. What would he have added that we don't already have?

Old
02-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Osprey

He doesn't excite me, either, but the idea that Dallas wanted him does intrigue and concern me a little. If anything, they made a move to (in their opinion) improve the team, which is still more than DT has done since... oh, September.

Old
02-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Garrett Burnett isn't even with the Stars any more. This is what most of us would refer to as "dumpster diving" had it been a Dave Taylor acquisition.

The Kings shouldn't worry that the Stars have added a counter to Jeff Cowan.

Old
02-16-2006, 04:03 PM
KingsFan7824

Kings pick Stevenson off waivers = typical Taylor. He thinks(that's his problem) a waiver guy is going to save the season? This is what he does when his team is in a slump??????? FIRE HIM!!!!!

Stars pick Stevenson off waivers = typical Taylor. Doesn't he think(that's his problem) that any move at this point could maybe shake this team up? He has to do something, doesn't he??????? FIRE HIM!!!!!

Old
02-16-2006, 05:12 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824
Kings pick Stevenson off waivers = typical Taylor. He thinks(that's his problem) a waiver guy is going to save the season? This is what he does when his team is in a slump??????? FIRE HIM!!!!!

Stars pick Stevenson off waivers = typical Taylor. Doesn't he think(that's his problem) that any move at this point could maybe shake this team up? He has to do something, doesn't he??????? FIRE HIM!!!!!

What I love is that the same posters would have said both!

hahaha

Old
02-16-2006, 05:14 PM
Reaper45

Don't get me wrong I don't think I would've picked up Stevenson, never been a big fan of us, BUT, it's the idea that Dallas, a team in first place already, picks up another player for their team to help them out. And the Kings while struggling, do nothing to help better the team.

Old
02-16-2006, 05:38 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I don't think I would've picked up Stevenson, never been a big fan of us, BUT, it's the idea that Dallas, a team in first place already, picks up another player for their team to help them out. And the Kings while struggling, do nothing to help better the team.
I'd be more upset if - after all this time - THIS is the type of player DT would acquire.

A couple dozen other teams passed on this guy too. They guy's so inconsequential it's really not even worth discussing.

- T

Old
02-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV
A couple dozen other teams passed on this guy too. They guy's so inconsequential it's really not even worth discussing.
I think that most of us agree on this. No one mentioned him when he was put on waivers, and that pretty much tells all.

Old
02-16-2006, 06:32 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
I'd be more upset if - after all this time - THIS is the type of player DT would acquire.

- T
It's not about the type of player. It's about Dallas being proactive in trying to improve an already good team, and L.A. sitting on their hands doing nothing as we fall further back.

Last edited by Reaper45: 02-16-2006 at 06:37 PM.
Old
02-16-2006, 07:32 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
It's not about the type of player. It's about Dallas being proactive in trying to improve an already good team, and L.A. sitting on their hands doing nothing as we fall further back.
With all due respect - it IS all about the type of player. I'm not going to get excited about DT passing up a guy who no one else seemed to care about, and would have done nothing to improve this team's current deficiencies.

There's NO reason for DT to sell the farm for rent-a-players. This current Kings team is a good team - at times a very good team, but one rent-a-player isn't going to make them a great team, much less an elite team. If the Kings get deep into the playoffs this season, they'll get there the same way any of the other 25 less-than-elite teams will - with strong goaltending, good special teams and some luck. Special teams is what the Kings need to improve on most - and a defenseman that's got a bit of offensive skill and strong PK abilities will help in that area. DT Says he's looking for a stay at home D-man. I have no reason not to believe him.

If you want to argue that the Kings could have used that stay at home d-man a few weeks ago - there is no argument with me, I totally agree, but it's not a big stretch to guess the price was too high, and the Kings were doing quite well at the time. It's nearly impossible to find the right player, teams and GM to make a trade at the exact moment it'll help the team the most.

If I were Dallas I'd look for a player than can improve their deficiencies - starting with a 24th place power play (with THAT lineup - you want to talk about a special teams coach that sould be shown the door). Stevenson does NOTHING to improve that, or much else except grit and grit is so overused when describing the Kings current roster adding more grit and only grit just doesn't do much for me.

- T

Old
02-16-2006, 07:53 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Activity does not equate to productivity. See the Phoenix Coyotes.

Old
02-16-2006, 08:26 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
With all due respect - it IS all about the type of player. I'm not going to get excited about DT passing up a guy who no one else seemed to care about, and would have done nothing to improve this team's current deficiencies.
Sure, no one else seemed to care about him but the 1st place Stars. Obviously the team saw something in him.

Quote:
There's NO reason for DT to sell the farm for rent-a-players. This current Kings team is a good team - at times a very good team, but one rent-a-player isn't going to make them a great team, much less an elite team. If the Kings get deep into the playoffs this season, they'll get there the same way any of the other 25 less-than-elite teams will - with strong goaltending, good special teams and some luck. Special teams is what the Kings need to improve on most - and a defenseman that's got a bit of offensive skill and strong PK abilities will help in that area. DT Says he's looking for a stay at home D-man. I have no reason not to believe him.
I agree wholeheartedly, and I'm not looking for DT to add a big name. I think another center, someone very good on the faceoffs, and another defenseman is all this team needs. I've never advocated dealing the kids for a rental. Never have, never will. But the fact that the Stars picked up Stevenson for something like 67K is part of what bothers me. Cowan hasn'y done much this year, why not pick him up and push Cowan and TK more? More likely than not he's making less than a good majority of the Kings front office personal, if he doens't work out, waive him, if he does, waive Cowan.

Quote:
If you want to argue that the Kings could have used that stay at home d-man a few weeks ago - there is no argument with me, I totally agree, but it's not a big stretch to guess the price was too high, and the Kings were doing quite well at the time. It's nearly impossible to find the right player, teams and GM to make a trade at the exact moment it'll help the team the most.
DT said before the season he was looking for another defenseman. Where is he? Don't tell me that over the course of the season that the price was too high to grab one of his guys he had targeted.

Quote:
If I were Dallas I'd look for a player than can improve their deficiencies - starting with a 24th place power play (with THAT lineup - you want to talk about a special teams coach that sould be shown the door). Stevenson does NOTHING to improve that, or much else except grit and grit is so overused when describing the Kings current roster adding more grit and only grit just doesn't do much for me.

- T
Grit may not do anything for you, but it obviously is doing something for the Stars. I do believe that they acquired Niinimaa for their PP troubles.

Old
02-17-2006, 04:22 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
Activity does not equate to productivity. See the Phoenix Coyotes.
Amen... BTW - that Conan O' Brien / Maple Leaf skit still cracks me up to this day. Love the avatar.

Old
02-17-2006, 04:27 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
DT said before the season he was looking for another defenseman. Where is he? Don't tell me that over the course of the season that the price was too high to grab one of his guys he had targeted.
The Kings don't want d-men that will regularly drop the gloves. They are routinely in the box for 5 minutes at a time and the other 5 pay the price

Last edited by Old Hickory: 02-17-2006 at 04:32 PM.

Old
02-17-2006, 05:51 PM
CBGB

Let me remind everyone:

Dave Taylor: "I like this team"

We have the useless Parros and guys like Parros and Stevenson won't see ten minutes in the playoffs.

Which roster player on the Stars loses ice time because of Jeremy Stevenson?

Please.

Who cares.

Besides, Dave was golfing when it came over the waiver wire.

Old
02-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBGB
Please.

Who cares.
Agreed!

Old
02-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Starsdude

Funny thing here in dallas they talk about the GM Armstrong never getting anybody good. They tire of the 4th line acquisitions like Hagman Perrot and Stevenson and hope that guys like Polak and Lessard get a chance. Nimamaa is already disliked here because he has not been good and taken minutes from crowd fav Robidas( I still think the Niamaa deal will be okay)The morale I guess is grass is always greener

Closed Thread