HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2017 NHL Entry Draft: Part IV

View Poll Results: Ladies and Gentlemen, for all the marbles.
3. Gabriel Vilardi, C/LW [Windsor Spitfires, OHL] 26 19.40%
4. Miro Hieskanen, D [HIFK, Liiga] 82 61.19%
5. Casey Mittelstadt, C [Minnesota Golden Gophers, NCAA] 8 5.97%
6. Owen Tippett, RW [Mississauga Steelheads, OHL] 2 1.49%
7. Cale Makar, D [UMass Hitmen, NCAA] 3 2.24%
9. Cody Glass, C/RW [Portland Winterhawks, WHL] 8 5.97%
12. Timothy Liljegren, D [Rogle BK, SHL] 5 3.73%
Other[List Below] 0 0%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2017, 11:17 AM
dahrougem2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy View Post
I never understand draft hype. All year I've heard about how no one is standing out, no franchise players available, and then the closer we get we start hearing that this guy reminds scouts of Jamie Benn, or that guy reminds scouts of Nick Lidstrom, or Scott Niedermayer. How are those not franchise players? Is there a chance we get a serious gem out of an underwhelming draft?

Let's just take Vilardi and have all the players named Gabriel
Just because someone looks like a certain player or plays a similar style does not mean they're going to be that player's equal.

Old
05-09-2017, 11:31 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

There is always a chance of a late round gem, but with advances in scouting... the chances are getting smaller and players tend to slide for a reason.

Old
05-09-2017, 11:48 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayAtHomeAv View Post
I'm no expert, but I would put Jost slightly ahead due to having a great year. Coming into each of their drafts I would say Mikko and Jost were equal to these guys, but I had Mikko at #5 and Jost at #6, in drafts with multiple super hyped prospects at the top and a Dman or 2 who, to me, are a level above Heiskanen.

I really hope we go with a goalie there.
Jost had a good but not outstanding year. Remember we voted Bigras over him just slightly in the prospect polls too. I'd put our candidates at forward for this draft on par with PLD and Puljujarvi. Not their hype last year but where they are now. Neither had an amazing year but they are still considered top prospects.

Old
05-09-2017, 05:22 PM
StayAtHomeAv

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
Jost had a good but not outstanding year. Remember we voted Bigras over him just slightly in the prospect polls too. I'd put our candidates at forward for this draft on par with PLD and Puljujarvi. Not their hype last year but where they are now. Neither had an amazing year but they are still considered top prospects.
Jost was one of the top freshman in the league and the best player on his team. And he almost single handedly won the frozen four. "Good" is selling him short.

Bigras has a couple years on him and was coming off an impressive NHL stint which followed an impressive development path. And like I've said before, I'm not convinced Heiskanen is much different from Bigras.

PLD and Puljujarvi where part of the elite group as far as I was concerned. I'm not sure about now, but those 2 would easily be #1 and 2 in this class to me, considering Patrick's injuries. Those guys have some crazy potential.

Old
05-09-2017, 05:54 PM
a mangy Meowth
#thestructure

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
There is always a chance of a late round gem, but with advances in scouting... the chances are getting smaller and players tend to slide for a reason.
Humans are enigmatic and there will always be an element of uncertainty and unpredictability, scouting isn't exactly a hard science lol, and people change as they grow older.

Old
05-09-2017, 06:57 PM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

Sometimes there are just late bloomer who don't manage to put it all together until after 18. I think in most cases of late round gems it's less to do with a scouting failure and more to do with the player just finding a new gear.

Old
05-09-2017, 07:09 PM
agentblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMetal View Post
Sometimes there are just late bloomer who don't manage to put it all together until after 18. I think in most cases of late round gems it's less to do with a scouting failure and more to do with the player just finding a new gear.
Thats illegal you know

Old
05-09-2017, 08:17 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
Or development. Maybe scouting finds attributes in a player but an org needs to unlock them. Gone are the days they are going to find some near NHL ready star toiling away somewhere, I agree there. Everyone knows the leagues and the players now.

Old
05-10-2017, 06:31 PM
ibengals
"Is Roy Squinting?"

I just hope they stay on the map with these picks. If we stay at 4, I'm more than okay with Vilardi/Heiskanen. Either guy is going to be a very good player, just don't make a dumb mistake and reach for a guy.

Old
05-10-2017, 06:33 PM
hughdreamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
I just hope they stay on the map with these picks. If we stay at 4, I'm more than okay with Vilardi/Heiskanen. Either guy is going to be a very good player, just don't make a dumb mistake and reach for a guy.
If Heiskanen is off the board I would prefer if we could trade down a spot or two and pick up a later pick and then grab Tippet.

Old
05-10-2017, 06:54 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

I don't think a team can really trade down this year and reasonably expect to get their guy. The opinions vary so wildly. Two people who I really trust and who normally fall pretty close to each other on their opinions of players have drastically players they like. It wouldn't shock me to see Tippett go anywhere from 2-11, it wouldn't shock me to see Necas go 3rd or in the late teens.

Old
05-10-2017, 07:25 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
I don't think a team can really trade down this year and reasonably expect to get their guy. The opinions vary so wildly. Two people who I really trust and who normally fall pretty close to each other on their opinions of players have drastically players they like. It wouldn't shock me to see Tippett go anywhere from 2-11, it wouldn't shock me to see Necas go 3rd or in the late teens.
That's pretty much what I expect. I think Dallas will do something like this, like take Necas or Pettersson 3rd.

Old
05-10-2017, 08:25 PM
Foppberg

I've flipped between who I want so much this season, but I'm pretty much down to Vilardi or Heiskinen, both I'd be happy with but Heiskinen I'd be thrilled with.

Old
05-10-2017, 09:47 PM
LTC Pain

Who really thinks Sakic would select Heiskinen if he's there at #4??? I don't, because Sakic indicated he prefers a skilled forward in the 1st round.

Old
05-10-2017, 11:05 PM
ibengals
"Is Roy Squinting?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTC Pain View Post
Who really thinks Sakic would select Heiskinen if he's there at #4??? I don't, because Sakic indicated he prefers a skilled forward in the 1st round.
Yeah he kind of hinted at that in his radio interview I heard today. Said the draft was "top-heavy" on skilled forwards, meaning he wants to get one early. He then contradicted himself in saying that it takes time to build a good defense, and no one is willing to give up defensemen.

Better draft one then, Joe.

Old
05-11-2017, 12:21 AM
Balthazar
Someone

Old
05-11-2017, 12:44 AM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibengals View Post
Yeah he kind of hinted at that in his radio interview I heard today. Said the draft was "top-heavy" on skilled forwards, meaning he wants to get one early. He then contradicted himself in saying that it takes time to build a good defense, and no one is willing to give up defensemen.

Better draft one then, Joe.
I don't think he hinted at anything. He specifically even said that there were defensemen "in that range" this year. Didn't say who he meant, and then said they were going to have to "look very carefully" at all of the players, which is obvious boilerplate stuff, but he didn't say anything about wanting a forward, just that there were a lot of them in the top of the draft, which is news to nobody here.

Old
05-11-2017, 12:53 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

If anything he kinda dismissed the idea they should trade down. I think he stayed away from saying much on forwards vs defense.

Old
05-11-2017, 01:34 AM
Patagonia

Sakic doesn't have Roy yelling in his ear for bigger Forwards, so there is a good chance he drafts a D.

So if the final outcome is either Vilardi or Heiskinen, it's better to not announce his preference and let Dallas decide. I'm guessing Dallas will choose Vilardi, a little better developed (1-2 years away) and the team is aging and can't wait for Heiskinen (1-3 years away) to be ready.

Either player is fine for different reasons.

Old
05-11-2017, 01:41 AM
Avs44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patagonia View Post
Sakic doesn't have Roy yelling in his ear for bigger Forwards, so there is a good chance he drafts a D.

So if the final outcome is either Vilardi or Heiskinen, it's better to not announce his preference and let Dallas decide. I'm guessing Dallas will choose Vilardi, a little better developed (1-2 years away) and the team is aging and can't wait for Heiskinen (1-3 years away) to be ready.

Either player is fine for different reasons.
When was Roy demanding bigger forwards in the draft? We all know he liked size, but last draft Sakic tuned Roy out and still went with a forward?

Old
05-11-2017, 02:35 AM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
When was Roy demanding bigger forwards in the draft? We all know he liked size, but last draft Sakic tuned Roy out and still went with a forward?
Only after Sergachev was off the board. For all we know, if Montreal had taken Brown, we would have Sergachev now and be frustrated and disappointed with his low IQ. It's easy to say "he could have taken a D", but at the time, Jost was generally ranked ahead of McAvoy, Bean and Chychrun.

The only philosophy Sakic really has articulated clearly when it comes to first round picks is BPA. Full stop, that's it. You can debate and disagree with who BPA is, but the idea that Sakic always takes forwards in the first as a matter of strategy is debatable at best.

Old
05-11-2017, 02:47 AM
linusandvarlamov
GO AVS GO !

vCash: 1470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Hopefully because Sakic has always gone with a forward in the 1st round since becoming GM he decides to change things up a bit.

Not only has he said he would like for the back-end to improve but he has also said he wants to get younger. After hearing those two phrases come out his very own mouth it would seem very illogical for him to pass on Heiskanen if he is available.

If Heiskanen is available I'll be very disappointed if Sakic doesn't take him.

If we ended up drafting in a high position the following year as well and lucked out on Dahlin our defense would be set for a very very long time (Heiskanen/Dahlin). When is the last time we've been able to say that ?

The last time I remember our defense was good was back when I was 9, 10 years old and we had Rob Blake and Adam Foote . Maybe it's time for Sakic to do it the right way, through the draft (like the Hurricanes) and not resort to fixing our back-end through free agency.

Last edited by linusandvarlamov; 05-11-2017 at 03:01 AM..
Old
05-11-2017, 02:57 AM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
I feel like Necas is flying under the radar for a lot of people. Somebody's gonna get a steal if he slides.

Old
05-11-2017, 08:15 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Roy wanted defensemen after MacKinnon was drafted and after his "you can find good ones in the second round" speech. Drafting two D in the first round in 20 years seems an organizational philosophy. There's things that go beyond Sakic's scope.

Old
05-11-2017, 08:43 AM
StayAtHomeAv

Quote:
Only after Sergachev was off the board. For all we know, if Montreal had taken Brown, we would have Sergachev now and be frustrated and disappointed with his low IQ. It's easy to say "he could have taken a D", but at the time, Jost was generally ranked ahead of McAvoy, Bean and Chychrun.

The only philosophy Sakic really has articulated clearly when it comes to first round picks is BPA. Full stop, that's it. You can debate and disagree with who BPA is, but the idea that Sakic always takes forwards in the first as a matter of strategy is debatable at best.
Actually, Chychrun still had a better average.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2016-draft...nsus-rankings/

Closed Thread