HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ryan Callahan

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2006, 09:03 PM
FLYLine24*

vCash: 500
Ryan Callahan

He netted his 3rd hat trick of the season tonight. I can't wait for him to join the Pack next season, people are going to say..."its not a big deal because he is an overage player" but he is still dominating the league 2x more then he did last year and one year is one year any way you look at it. Each team is also allowed to have 4 (or 5?) overage players so there are plenty of 20 year olds in the league besides him.

Callahan is a pure energy on the ice and plays the game exactly like Orts does (at least from the few times ive seen him...including the WJC's 2 years ago) but he has a lot more offensive skills then Orts and I could very well see him turning into a Rich mans Ortmeyer, 3rd line player that can pot in 15-20 goals a season.

Right now hes averaging .82 goals a game with 41 goals and 67 points in 50 games. Last year he scored 28 goals in 60 games, 54 points total.

He is 3rd in Goals in the league, 1st in Shorthanded goals with 6 and 3rd with a +/- of +23.

BTW if you ask Storm fans who their favorite player is...about 99% of them will say Calllahan...hes just one of those players who shows so much heart that there is no way you can not like him.

What are everyone elses opinions on Callahan? Am I the only one who can't wait for him to turn pro?

Old
02-15-2006, 09:17 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
I Love Him

Old
02-15-2006, 09:18 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Wasn't Callahan a late cut this year with the Rangers.

Old
02-15-2006, 09:22 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOKIE CHARGERS
Wasn't Callahan a late cut this year with the Rangers.

I believe (not 100% sure so someone please jump in if I am wrong) he wanted a X amount of dollars and the Rangers offered less then that amount so on GOOD TERMS Callahan asked to go back to Juniors to improve and prove himself more to the team, and that is exactly what he is doing.

Old
02-15-2006, 09:35 PM
storm fan

Callahan

He was offered an AHL contract only and his agent advised him to go back to Juniors

Old
02-15-2006, 09:38 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm fan
He was offered an AHL contract only and his agent advised him to go back to Juniors

Thank you for clearing that up.

Could you give some comments on him if you have the time? We don't have anyone who gets to watch him on a daily bases here. If any of my assessments are wrong of far from the truth please let me know.

Old
02-15-2006, 09:45 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I am wondering if Ranger management loves him as muich as this board does. The only time I saw him play over an extended period was the WJC last year and he was good but not outstanding.

Old
02-15-2006, 09:49 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop
I am wondering if Ranger management loves him as muich as this board does. The only time I saw him play over an extended period was the WJC last year and he was good but not outstanding.

Well nobody is saying he is going to be a future 1st or 2nd line player, the WJC players are the best of the young guys so its not like you anyone could have really expected him to put in 5 goals or something (though he did get one if i remember). He is an energy player but having a good one of those with offensive talent would be a great player to have in our system...sure we have plenty of guys for the 3rd and 4th line..but Cally might end up with the edge of a few of them with his extra speed and offensive skill. Who knows though...

Old
02-15-2006, 10:11 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
BTW if you ask Storm fans who their favorite player is...about 99% of them will say Calllahan...
seriously?

Old
02-15-2006, 10:13 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Callahan was a last cut in Hartford I believe. Him and Bahensky. Graham stayed.

Old
02-15-2006, 10:20 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31-
seriously?

99% might be a stretch, but I do know he is a huge favorite in Guelph.

Old
02-15-2006, 10:25 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

Quote:
99% might be a stretch, but I do know he is a huge favorite in Guelph.
you did say about 99% to be fair

I just thought it was kind of strange because (in the limited action I've seen) I like Ryan Parent more than I do Callahan

Old
02-15-2006, 10:27 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:

I just thought it was kind of strange because (in the limited action I've seen) I like Ryan Parent more than I do Callahan
I dont know who they think is better, I said 99% would say he is their "favorite" player, not the best player, I haven't seen Parent enough to judge that though.

A lot of fans love Orts, but he is not our best player..or in out top 5 players.

Old
02-15-2006, 10:34 PM
-31-
portnor, pls

Quote:
I dont know who they think is better, I said 99% would say he is their "favorite" player, not the best player, I haven't seen Parent enough to judge that though.

A lot of fans love Orts, but he is not our best player..or in out top 5 players.
yeah, I understand the difference.

I haven't seen very much of Callahan, but Ryan Parent is one of those players who's game you fall in love with. if the majority of their fans say Callahan is their favorite player, that's a big compliment.

Old
02-15-2006, 10:38 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
yeah, I understand the difference.

I haven't seen very much of Callahan, but Ryan Parent is one of those players who's game you fall in love with. if the majority of their fans say Callahan is their favorite player, that's a big compliment.

Yea, but Cally does deserve it, he is the heart of the team and he is a complete offensive force for their team (of course we have to remember its a junior team") I dont think the fans are thinking Parent will be a better NHLer then Callahan so I like him more

But yea, i know where your comming from, a solid blueliner then you can sit in the stands during a one on one vs him late in a 2-1 game and say "im not worried, Parent will handle it" is a great feeling toward a player.

Old
02-16-2006, 12:33 AM
Pizza

This is one of those guys that I'm going to be looking at pretty closely during the break. I'd say your estimate on his upside is pretty good FLY. Anytime you have a guy that slots as a third liner, but has the chops to pot 15-20 goals....well you have good one. The other thing is that the depth chart over on right wing is getting pretty crowded. It's going to be an absolute dog fight at Wolf Pack camp next year.

Any thoughts on who will stick and who will not?

Old
02-16-2006, 01:20 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

You wanted an inside opinion? I have season tickets in Guelph.

FLY, you are definitely right. Callahan is THE fan favourite. His play is exciting and high-flying. He's physical, he's ridiculously skilled with the puck, especially one on one, he can beat nearly every defenseman in the league with his speed to the outside. His wrist shot is great, he can snipe the corners from down low or high in the slot, he just works and works. The kid loves to score goals and has an Alex Ovechkin quality about him when he does score - always celebrates big, he just loves to score. Tonight, his second goal of the game was on a penalty shot that he earned by flying past two defensemen who had to drag him down on the breakaway, and when he scored he went flying around the ice, jumping on the glass all by himself. His energy and his enthusiasm is a lot of fun to watch. He is effective in any role as well. He started his career as an energy player and has turned into one of the elite goal scorers in the league. He's used on the PK extensively and is most often the first guy to kill 5 on 3s. As you said, his +/- is near the top of the league and is always a threat shorthanded (again, as you said, leading the league with 6 shorties). Right now, he's playing on the "checking line" with two experienced guys who are not known for scoring, and he's actually scoring more with them than with the skilled guys.

I really can't say enough about the guy, he's been my favourite player for 4 years. Last year he became the fan favourite because he was pretty much the only recognizable face. You guys talked about it on here, when he came back from Hartford and scored a hat trick in his first game, the building went insane knowing that Captain Cally had returned to save the team from another crappy rebuilding year. The Storm are in the hunt for first place in the conference and I'd say it's mostly because of Callahan. Without him, this team doesn't have what it takes.

The biggest difference between last year and this year is Cally's maturity. Last year, he got sucked into taking a lot of stupid penalties by the shut-down guys on other teams. He was always a target and let his emotions and frustrations get the better of him. This year, he just laughs it all off and has a lot of fun. This guy is way under the pro radar, I don't know if he'll ever make the Rangers full-time, but he's a prospect that I would LOVE to have in my system. Whatever you want "it" to be, he'll bring it.

EDIT: He's one goal away from tying the Guelph Storm's all-time goals leader, and obviously 2 away from breaking it. There's 13 games left, I have full confidence he'll do it. The current leader is Jeff O'Neill, at 120. With Cally's 3 tonight, he sits at 119 career goals. Not bad considering he's only played one out of four years with top linemates, he's done it all himself.

Old
02-16-2006, 01:23 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
You wanted an inside opinion? I have season tickets in Guelph.

FLY, you are definitely right. Callahan is THE fan favourite. His play is exciting and high-flying. He's physical, he's ridiculously skilled with the puck, especially one on one, he can beat nearly every defenseman in the league with his speed to the outside. His wrist shot is great, he can snipe the corners from down low or high in the slot, he just works and works. The kid loves to score goals and has an Alex Ovechkin quality about him when he does score - always celebrates big, he just loves to score. Tonight, his second goal of the game was on a penalty shot that he earned by flying past two defensemen who had to drag him down on the breakaway, and when he scored he went flying around the ice, jumping on the glass all by himself. His energy and his enthusiasm is a lot of fun to watch. He is effective in any role as well. He started his career as an energy player and has turned into one of the elite goal scorers in the league. He's used on the PK extensively and is most often the first guy to kill 5 on 3s. As you said, his +/- is near the top of the league and is always a threat shorthanded (again, as you said, leading the league with 6 shorties). Right now, he's playing on the "checking line" with two experienced guys who are not known for scoring, and he's actually scoring more with them than with the skilled guys.

I really can't say enough about the guy, he's been my favourite player for 4 years. Last year he became the fan favourite because he was pretty much the only recognizable face. You guys talked about it on here, when he came back from Hartford and scored a hat trick in his first game, the building went insane knowing that Captain Cally had returned to save the team from another crappy rebuilding year. The Storm are in the hunt for first place in the conference and I'd say it's mostly because of Callahan. Without him, this team doesn't have what it takes.

The biggest difference between last year and this year is Cally's maturity. Last year, he got sucked into taking a lot of stupid penalties by the shut-down guys on other teams. He was always a target and let his emotions and frustrations get the better of him. This year, he just laughs it all off and has a lot of fun. This guy is way under the pro radar, I don't know if he'll ever make the Rangers full-time, but he's a prospect that I would LOVE to have in my system. Whatever you want "it" to be, he'll bring it.
Thanks for the great report on him

Old
02-16-2006, 01:27 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:

Parent is now a household name because of the World Juniors, but he isn't really a fan favourite. He's my favourite defenseman because he does just about everything right, when the game is on the line or you need a big sniper shut down, Parent's your guy. Unfortunately, most people don't recognize good defensive players, they want the goal scorers so Callahan is the man in Guelph.

Old
02-16-2006, 01:39 AM
eco's bones

The last I remember is he is in the 5'11" 185 range which for a 3rd-4th line grinder is not great. That is why I wonder whether he'll make it or not. Unless you project him to the second line where size might be a little less of a factor--he may be an Ortmeyer with hands as some would have it but he's a smaller Ortmeyer. We'll see of course in time--he certainly looks worth signing. Should be in Hartford next year.

Old
02-16-2006, 01:49 AM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Parent is now a household name because of the World Juniors, but he isn't really a fan favourite. He's my favourite defenseman because he does just about everything right, when the game is on the line or you need a big sniper shut down, Parent's your guy. Unfortunately, most people don't recognize good defensive players, they want the goal scorers so Callahan is the man in Guelph.
I love Parent. So steady, so reliable. I wish these types of guys would get recognized.

Old
02-16-2006, 01:49 AM
Edge

Callahan reminded me a lot of Mike York several years back.

He's having the kind of season this year that he should have had last year.

Having said that, I think Flyline is right with his "potential" as a possibly a good third liner. If he puts the pieces together, that's what I see.

His numbers this year are misleading as it pertains to his big league scoring potential, but he's put himself back in an area he was considered two years ago: a potential solid, third line player who brings energy.

Old
02-16-2006, 03:26 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
I love Parent. So steady, so reliable. I wish these types of guys would get recognized.
Agreed. People don't appreciate defense the way they should.

Old
02-16-2006, 07:28 AM
maddog24g

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
The last I remember is he is in the 5'11" 185 range which for a 3rd-4th line grinder is not great. That is why I wonder whether he'll make it or not. Unless you project him to the second line where size might be a little less of a factor--he may be an Ortmeyer with hands as some would have it but he's a smaller Ortmeyer. We'll see of course in time--he certainly looks worth signing. Should be in Hartford next year.
Orts is two inches taller and weighs the same. Helminen is basically the same size too and nobody seems to be holding it against him (this year).

Old
02-16-2006, 08:50 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
He started his career as an energy player and has turned into one of the elite goal scorers in the league.
What is it that allowed him to make such a huge jump? A natural talent brought to the surface, or a highly coachable player with a dream work ethic?

Closed Thread