HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another win

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2003, 04:50 PM
Rschmitz

vCash: 500
Another win

Lecavalier scores a late goal and the streak continues. I can easily see it extending to 6 with Minn. Grahame played exceptionally well in relief of Khabi and though it wasn't the hardest fought game it was deffinatly a step above the Atlanta game intensity wise

Old
10-23-2003, 08:54 PM
petec1978*

I don't know about exceptionally well. He was probably as bored as I was with this game. He made 20 saves, I'll bet only 4 of them had any degree of difficulty whatsoever. Columbus was horrible with all the holding sticks they were doing. It was so bad at the end I was praying the game would just end so I could flip to GT's defense beating the piss out of Maryland... and they did

-Pete Choquette

Old
10-24-2003, 12:00 AM
Rschmitz

anytime you come in relief and shut someone out is exceptionally good in my opinion. O, btw...anyone see Afenasenkov in the lineup tonight?

Old
10-24-2003, 03:06 AM
GoBolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB_FANATIC
anytime you come in relief and shut someone out is exceptionally good in my opinion. O, btw...anyone see Afenasenkov in the lineup tonight?
Affy sat out for Roy. Tortorella was quoted in the Trib this morning saying it was, to paraphrase, part of Affy's learning experience in the NHL. I couldn't read anything negative into it. We'll see if he's back for the game against the Wild Saturday before we can make any conclusions.

Old
10-24-2003, 05:20 AM
Oceanic39*

Quote:
I can easily see it extending to 6 with Minn.
Do you watch other teams? Did you miss the playoffs last year? Have you noticed that TB has never beaten Minnesota? Did you notice Atlanta last night?

That's ok. Just don't start putting 82-0 with your Afenasenkov's.

Old
10-24-2003, 10:34 AM
Rschmitz

Did you know that Gaborik is not in their lineup? Did you see their record? Sorry for having a little bit of faith in my team, but I don't get center ice and have 10 hrs to kill a day watching every team around the league play. If you do, then im glad to hear it. You saying we aren't going to win tommorow?

Tampa has played Minnesota what...like 2 or 3 times?, 1 loss and 1 tie; not much to jeer about.

Afenasenkov probably won't get those #'s if Torts sits him out for no apparent reason like he did tonight.

...I did notice Atlanta last night, Chuck with the hatter. I don't think they are as good as the Lightning though

Old
10-24-2003, 11:20 AM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
Quote:
Afenasenkov probably won't get those #'s if Torts sits him out for no apparent reason like he did tonight.
I think Affy's tentative play since opening night has been very apparent, actually.

Old
10-24-2003, 12:27 PM
Flycoon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeminus
I think Affy's tentative play since opening night has been very apparent, actually.
If Affy has been tentative, how would one describe Fedotenko? In an el-rushbo like hillbilly heroin trance? Doing a Terry Schiavo imitation? He has been the worst forward on the ice in the games I have noticed him. The best thing to be said for him is he has gone unnoticed at times.

Old
10-24-2003, 01:27 PM
joeminus

Have you seen Feds in the team photo? Creepy.

Old
10-24-2003, 01:29 PM
joeminus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycoon
... how would one describe Fedotenko?
He's just ... there.

I think he could conceivably work out as a scoring liner on Richards' line, but he's had more than 80+ games to achieve some chemistry with Vinny and it's simply not there.

Old
10-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Rschmitz

Quote:

He doesn't look like a rookie out there. He makes plays they just haven't ended up on the score card. A little more time on vinnys line and they will get familiar and the stats will come

Old
10-24-2003, 04:43 PM
Oceanic39*

Nope, he looks like a rookie.

Most rookies are tentative in the O-zone with the puck and hesitate to shoot when they have the chance. They look to dish the puck off to tenured teammates unless it's painfully obvious they should shoot.

Afanasenkov has done this in every game he's played so far. He's in the sniper mold, and should shoot whenever he can. Instead, he pauses and lifts his head to find Lecavalier.

He's coming along. It will take some time.

Old
10-25-2003, 06:27 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
He's just ... there.

I think he could conceivably work out as a scoring liner on Richards' line, but he's had more than 80+ games to achieve some chemistry with Vinny and it's simply not there.
That's one thing that's really aggravating me: we've been there and done that with the Fedotenko+Vinny experiment and it is obvious to everyone (except the coach apparently) that it DOESN'T WORK. Hate to say it, but right now we're just wasting Vinny by having him play with guys he doesn't mesh well with. We are getting nothing going 5 on 5 in the last few games. As long as they keep winning, I don't think we'll see any major changes.

Funny how they are now 5-0 and there is still so much that's wrong, I guess that's a good thing.

I'm hoping Minny is either really tired or really satisfied with themselves after last night's win.

Old
10-25-2003, 08:05 AM
joeminus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
That's one thing that's really aggravating me: we've been there and done that with the Fedotenko+Vinny experiment and it is obvious to everyone (except the coach apparently) that it DOESN'T WORK. Hate to say it, but right now we're just wasting Vinny by having him play with guys he doesn't mesh well with. We are getting nothing going 5 on 5 in the last few games.
Exactly. Meanwhile, Stillman got, what, three weeks to try to mesh with Vinny? It took a handful of training camp scrimmages for Torts to decide Stillman and Lecavalier "do not click," but after 80+ games the verdict is still out on Fedotenko/Lecavalier?! It makes no sense!

The lack of even-strength production from our top 2 lines is disturbing to say the least.

Even-strength scoring through 5 games:
Stillman/Richards/St. Louis: 1G, 3A
Afanasenkov/Lecavalier/Fedotenko: 2G, 2A

That's less than a point-per-game for each line! By contrast, last season Modin/Richards/St. Louis averaged 1.45 ppg and Prospal/Lecavalier/Fedotenko averaged 1.56 ppg at even strength. In other words, that production has basically been cut in half.

Granted, we're only 5 games into the season, but it's an alarming trend. And when Tortorella goes on the record saying he's not going to waste time waiting around to see if two players can mesh (in reference to Stillman/Lecavalier), I don't know why he's still holding out hope for Feds/Vinny after 12 months.

Oh, well. We're undefeated. I should quit complaining.

Old
10-25-2003, 03:50 PM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanic39
Nope, he looks like a rookie.

Most rookies are tentative in the O-zone with the puck and hesitate to shoot when they have the chance. They look to dish the puck off to tenured teammates unless it's painfully obvious they should shoot.

Afanasenkov has done this in every game he's played so far. He's in the sniper mold, and should shoot whenever he can. Instead, he pauses and lifts his head to find Lecavalier.

He's coming along. It will take some time.

I don't see it, I see him trying to make moves and deke. The Thrashers game for instance, he tried to deke the defenseman and got leveled at the blue line. He had trouble getting off the ice; in either case I don't think its a rookie mistake anytime you look for Vinny in the offensive zone.

Old
10-25-2003, 06:57 PM
aapbolt

6-0

Ok so now we are 6-0, i like setting records, however, the experiment going on on Vinny's line is just crap. Again tonight Roy is on Vinny's line- how stupid, Roy will never pot more than 10 goals a year and Fedo is like out to lunch on just about every shift- i think the call goes to Hrshey for Willis sometime soon for a look up here. Torts just cannot be so stupid about wasting Vinny and not putting someone with some experience on his line. Modin worked with Vinny a bit tonight and they looked good but Vinny's goal came on the PP and not on 5on5. Come on Jay you got something really good going on here get Vinny an experienced sniper and/or bring up Willis.

Old
10-25-2003, 07:57 PM
petec1978*

Just 76 more to go, right TB_FANATIC?

-Pete Choquette

Old
10-27-2003, 07:54 AM
Rschmitz

yep

shhh, I got a secret. Don't tell Chad but I think we go 11-0 before we go 82-0 if you know what I mean

Closed Thread