HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kilger/Langdon

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2003, 11:36 PM
SopelFan*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Kilger/Langdon

I apologize if this has been mentioned a ton of times, but I was curious when these two would be coming back from injury. Also, who are Kilger, Langdon and Koivu going to replace?

Zednik-Ribeiro-Hossa
Ryder-Perreault-Audette
Bulis-Juneau-Dackell
Sundstrom-Begin-Ward

Who do they replace?

Old
10-23-2003, 11:47 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan
I apologize if this has been mentioned a ton of times, but I was curious when these two would be coming back from injury. Also, who are Kilger, Langdon and Koivu going to replace?

Zednik-Ribeiro-Hossa
Ryder-Perreault-Audette
Bulis-Juneau-Dackell
Sundstrom-Begin-Ward

Who do they replace?
Langdon is day to day, while Kilger could be another two weeks away.

I'm not sure if Langdon will have a regular spot, but a couple players are on the bubble in Montreal.

Gainey will have to free up a little room, and salary, by moving Audette or Sundstrom.... perhaps both. Plus, Ward and Begin are both technically on the bubble, as is Hossa.

If either of them become complacent with their work ethic, or performance, they are AHL bound.

Realistically, a trade is needed to free the roster up. Gainey has some real challenges ahead of him.

Old
10-24-2003, 04:25 AM
Darz

If either Kilger or Langdon were 100% right now, they might still be watching the game from the same spot they are now.
Langdon will not be an every night player, and unless Kilger shows more than he has in the past couple seasons neither will he.
Both players, imo, will spell whatever players are not playing up to snuff. Sundstrom would of problem missed another game or two if both were healthy. Begin is not an every night player as well. Ward might be a healthy scratch on the odd night. Lots of options.

And remember it's still early. Injuries seem to start creeping up later into the season.

Old
10-24-2003, 05:26 AM
Bob Bastards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
Langdon is day to day, while Kilger could be another two weeks away.

I'm not sure if Langdon will have a regular spot, but a couple players are on the bubble in Montreal.

Gainey will have to free up a little room, and salary, by moving Audette or Sundstrom.... perhaps both. Plus, Ward and Begin are both technically on the bubble, as is Hossa.

If either of them become complacent with their work ethic, or performance, they are AHL bound.

Realistically, a trade is needed to free the roster up. Gainey has some real challenges ahead of him.

Begin and Ward are doing a hell of a job the last two games. If they continue to play like that, they will keep theire rooster spot.
Langdon will be inserted as needed, since he will be useful in only a couple of game during the year (and in playoff, if we make them), Kilger could take Dackel place on the third line since he is always doing great in defense.
If Ribs can keep up the pace, I see Perrault on is way out, except if he want the fourth line duty which I don't think will be great for him. Audette is on the bubble, BG already unload him once, he can make that 2...
Hossa play well for the last game. We have to be more patient with him.

Old
10-24-2003, 07:09 AM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Jason Ward seems to click very well with Chad Kilger. Maybe this is because playing with another big body really brings out the best in them. After a couple of games to date, it seems that Ward also fits alongside Steve Begin. Noting our lack of size down the middle, I think that a Begin - Kilger - Ward fourth line is very nice.

Langdon may play 30-40 games against tougher teams, because I don't think an above average goon needs to be dressed every game. He is, although, a great guy to look to when Julien knows he needs a little extra pop.

It seems Perreault will have an off night, only to return with one of his usual pretty goals from the slot. I think playing him with Koivu, a guy who can find him quite easily, would maybe continue to bring out the production from Yanic. Throw Ryder onto the LW, and, voila, we have our second scoring line.

Here would be my line-up, SopelFan.

A : #73 Mike Ryder - #11 Saku Koivu - #94 Yanic Perreault
B : #81 Marcel Hossa - #71 Ribeiro - #20 Richard Zednik
3 : #38 Jan Bulis - #90 Joey Juneau - #24 Andy Dackell
4 : #22 Steve Begin - #25 Chad Kilger - #17 Jason Ward

Yes, Perreault's faceoffs are key, but Saku's got a better overall game, hence he's the number one pivot. Perreault and Ryder are on opposite wings, but I think this suits them better. Perreault, a left shot, is more open to the one timer if he is on the right. This works well because Ryder, as we have all seen by now, likes to drive down the left side. He than either releases his killer shot, or flips a nice little pass over to YP. As a bonus for Saku, he plays with two thirds of the team's snipers, both of whom have great shots.

Edit : Begin was 60% on the draw last year, while Kilger was 46%. Do we go with size or faceoff ability?

Old
10-24-2003, 07:53 AM
Nyclaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.roberts
I Love your 4th line..but I don't like that 1st line, sorry.

I'd go with:

Bulis-Koivu-Ryder
Zednik-Ribiero-Hossa
Juneau-Perreault-Dackell
Begin-Kilger-Ward

Koivu's return will take the pressure off Ribs..he should flourish easily then!

Old
10-24-2003, 08:06 AM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyclaus
I Love your 4th line..but I don't like that 1st line, sorry.

I'd go with:

Bulis-Koivu-Ryder
Zednik-Ribiero-Hossa
Juneau-Perreault-Dackell
Begin-Kilger-Ward

Koivu's return will take the pressure off Ribs..he should flourish easily then!
I'm not a huge fan of the first line either, but you can't take Bulis away from Juneau and Dackell. That's something I've come to realize. Perreault alongside those two, could be disastrous. The forecheck would be destroyed. The Bulis - Juneau - Dackell line fits right into Julien's defensive system, inserting Perreault would just ruin the good things happening there.

Ideally, our third line would be Bulis - Kilger - Dackell, maybe sometime.

Old
10-24-2003, 08:31 AM
Subban Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.roberts
Jason Ward seems to click very well with Chad Kilger. Maybe this is because playing with another big body really brings out the best in them. After a couple of games to date, it seems that Ward also fits alongside Steve Begin. Noting our lack of size down the middle, I think that a Begin - Kilger - Ward fourth line is very nice.

Langdon may play 30-40 games against tougher teams, because I don't think an above average goon needs to be dressed every game. He is, although, a great guy to look to when Julien knows he needs a little extra pop.

It seems Perreault will have an off night, only to return with one of his usual pretty goals from the slot. I think playing him with Koivu, a guy who can find him quite easily, would maybe continue to bring out the production from Yanic. Throw Ryder onto the LW, and, voila, we have our second scoring line.

Yes, Perreault's faceoffs are key, but Saku's got a better overall game, hence he's the number one pivot. Perreault and Ryder are on opposite wings, but I think this suits them better. Perreault, a left shot, is more open to the one timer if he is on the right. This works well because Ryder, as we have all seen by now, likes to drive down the left side. He than either releases his killer shot, or flips a nice little pass over to YP. As a bonus for Saku, he plays with two thirds of the team's snipers, both of whom have great shots.
I like that but what can we do with Audette...

Old
10-24-2003, 08:56 AM
Joe Maximum

methinks Yannic's days are numbered in montreal, just my gut feeling...

Old
10-24-2003, 10:50 AM
SopelFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Maximum
methinks Yannic's days are numbered in montreal, just my gut feeling...
Even with 4 goals to start the season? And I felt the Audette/Perreault/Ryder line looked good in every game I seen.

Old
10-24-2003, 11:16 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
[QUOTE=jl.roberts]

Question for you, where is Audette.....or did you intentionally scratch him from the lineup.....Sundstrom will be a scratch most likely though...for some reason our team does look better without Audette and Sundstrom

Old
10-24-2003, 11:18 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS

Question for you, where is Audette.....or did you intentionally scratch him from the lineup.....Sundstrom will be a scratch most likely though...for some reason our team does look better without Audette and Sundstrom

Yanic on the RW will be interesting to see. He has great shot, but his speed could be a concern in forechecking situation.

Old
10-24-2003, 11:18 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan
Even with 4 goals to start the season? And I felt the Audette/Perreault/Ryder line looked good in every game I seen.
good start for Perreault, thats for sure....but with Saku coming back and Riberio playing as well as he is..(he is only 23), it makes sense to trade Perreault and his 2.8 mil salary...he is expendable, as he will be an ufa next season and we have our first 2 line centers(Koivu and Riberio) set for this season

Old
10-24-2003, 11:21 AM
NWT Habs Fan

I can see Langdon being insterted on occassion, healthy scratch on others. Kilger will likely see some time on either the 3rd or 4th line, likely bumping Dacks (to add size to that line) or Sunny (who hasn't looked good at all so far this season). Kilger-Begin-Ward could be a real fun line to watch out there. Begin has shown some real energy and Ward is getting a bit better each game.

Old
10-24-2003, 11:21 AM
MVP

Quote:
good start for Perreault, thats for sure....but with Saku coming back and Riberio playing as well as he is..(he is only 23), it makes sense to trade Perreault and his 2.8 mil salary...he is expendable, as he will be an ufa next season and we have our first 2 line centers(Koivu and Riberio) set for this season

i am not suggesting to trade him, since i always believe in if it ain't broken don't fix it. Chemisty can carry you a long way in this league with a good system, just look at the Wild last year. If the Habs start to struggle than it might be another story where Yanic should be traded if his vale remains high.

Old
10-24-2003, 11:26 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
Yanic on the RW will be interesting to see. He has great shot, but his speed could be a concern in forechecking situation.
well the line of Hossa Riberio Zednik is SET...this line has been playing GREAT!

that leaves a line with Ryder Koivu and ?

I think it does make sense to play Perreault with Ryder and Koivu right now...the guy is playing great so far with 4 goals already and playing with Koivu (great playmaker) will help his game...Perreault must be on the top 2 lines(perhaps on the wing with Koivu at center)

Bulis Juneau Dackell...this line seems to have great chemistry

Kilger Begin Ward....physical fourth line for crash, banging and energy

Old
10-24-2003, 11:30 AM
MVP

Quote:
well the line of Hossa Riberio Zednik is SET...this line has been playing GREAT!

that leaves a line with Ryder Koivu and ?

I think it does make sense to play Perreault with Ryder and Koivu right now...the guy is playing great so far with 4 goals already and playing with Koivu (great playmaker) will help his game...Perreault must be on the top 2 lines(perhaps on the wing with Koivu at center)

Bulis Juneau Dackell...this line seems to have great chemistry

Kilger Begin Ward....physical fourth line for crash, banging and energy

Given Sake speed and how he will battle in the corner, i actually think he could be a pretty good winger, and we all know how good Yanic is on the faceoff circle. Beside you have Ryder and Saku battle the board, and set up Yanic on the slot that sounds likes a more proper stratgy for me than have Yanic battles the corner and wasting his shot.

And with the speed of Ryder and Saku on the wing, you might be able to create more odd man rush too.

Old
10-24-2003, 11:32 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
i am not suggesting to trade him, since i always believe in if it ain't broken don't fix it. Chemisty can carry you a long way in this league with a good system, just look at the Wild last year. If the Habs start to struggle than it might be another story where Yanic should be traded if his vale remains high.
well in a way you are right....but on the other hand if there is a good offer for Perreault, i seriously think Gainey should do it

Hossa Riberio Zednik
Ryder Koivu Audette
Dackell Juneau Bulis
Kilger Begin Ward

seems good and with us already having Riberio and Koivu as our first 2 line centerman, it does make sense to trade Perreault..Perreault is making 2.8 mil and will be an ufa next season...better to trade him than lose him for nothing....and Riberio's strong play this season certainly makes this a strong possibility

Old
10-24-2003, 11:35 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
Given Sake speed and how he will battle in the corner, i actually think he could be a pretty good winger, and we all know how good Yanic is on the faceoff circle. Beside you have Ryder and Saku battle the board, and set up Yanic on the slot that sounds likes a more proper stratgy for me than have Yanic battles the corner and wasting his shot.

And with the speed of Ryder and Saku on the wing, you might be able to create more odd man rush too.
I have confidence in whatever team lines Julien decides to have...

Old
10-24-2003, 11:39 AM
MVP

Quote:
well in a way you are right....but on the other hand if there is a good offer for Perreault, i seriously think Gainey should do it

Hossa Riberio Zednik
Ryder Koivu Audette
Dackell Juneau Bulis
Kilger Begin Ward

seems good and with us already having Riberio and Koivu as our first 2 line centerman, it does make sense to trade Perreault..Perreault is making 2.8 mil and will be an ufa next season...better to trade him than lose him for nothing....and Riberio's strong play this season certainly makes this a strong possibility
Tough for me to comment on that one really, because i have no idea what type of impact that Yanic has in the dressing room. Ultimately Bob Gainey and the players know best whether Yanic is available given the Habs are in good position to make it into the playoff this year.

Old
10-24-2003, 12:43 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
Tough for me to comment on that one really, because i have no idea what type of impact that Yanic has in the dressing room. Ultimately Bob Gainey and the players know best whether Yanic is available given the Habs are in good position to make it into the playoff this year.
Perreault will be dealt for sure before the trade deadline I would think....in fact i think he will be gone by January......there is a surplus of forwards on the habs right now, and when Koivu, Kilger and even Langdon play a few players will be left packing...and Perreault and Audette seem like the favorites to leave based on their salaries, age and soft-play which really shows come playoff time

Old
10-24-2003, 12:47 PM
SopelFan*

Quote:
Perreault will be dealt for sure before the trade deadline I would think....in fact i think he will be gone by January......there is a surplus of forwards on the habs right now, and when Koivu, Kilger and even Langdon play a few players will be left packing...and Perreault and Audette seem like the favorites to leave based on their salaries, age and soft-play which really shows come playoff time
Trading Perreault still seems like a pretty dumb idea. What if his production keeps up? Plus the fact he has skill in the circles.

Old
10-24-2003, 01:39 PM
FTK

Ryder-Koivu-Perreault ( He's a lot better then Audette right now )
Hossa-Ribiero-Zednik
Bulis-Juneau-Dackell
Kilger-Bégin-Ward

Markov-Rivet
Souray-Quintal
Hainsey-Brisebois

Theodore
Garon

Out = Audette and Sundstrom

Old
10-24-2003, 01:58 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTK
Ryder-Koivu-Perreault ( He's a lot better then Audette right now )
Hossa-Ribiero-Zednik
Bulis-Juneau-Dackell
Kilger-Bégin-Ward

Markov-Rivet
Souray-Quintal
Hainsey-Brisebois

Theodore
Garon

Out = Audette and Sundstrom
I'm not sure it's a good idea to put the best faceoff guy in the whole NHL on the wing... I'd switch Koivu and Perrault.

Also, I'd keep Sundstrom in the line up and send Higgins down. Much better for his developpment IMHO.

Old
10-24-2003, 02:04 PM
turnbuckle*

Has there ever been an NHL line that had one player take the majority of faceoffs yet play on the wing for any significant period of time?

I think it would have to be worked on extensively in practice, but perhaps it could be achieved. Saku would have to learn what to do on the wing trying to tie up his man during the faceoff before heading off to cover the point if the faceoff was lost.

At what point do they switch from center to wing? It's pretty well impossible to do it in the defensive zone if Yanic loses the faceoff - what if the opposition controls the play for a minute or more due to Saku's inexperience on the wing, a rookie (Ryder) not known for his defensive prowess on the other wing, and a "soft" center not known for his defence either?

Closed Thread