HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Brewer

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2003, 06:36 PM
gretzky2kurri

vCash: 500
Eric Brewer

You could make a highlite reel encyclopedia of 5 minute Eric Brewer blunders. The "no sense of urgeny" edition is the longest. "Lets hear the puck rap of the glass" is a close second though.

He's missing some basics.......he shouldn't have skipped all those grades to Olympic Gold medallist I guess.

I mean seriously folks.....how many times have we seen that play behind the net? It's like he has a depth perception problem or something. He lets opponents get right on top of him before he starts to take action.

I was told today by somebody that Brewer is constantly covering Cross's butt out there. I've never heard Brewers name used in that context before. I mean every D man does it at times, but I've never heard of anyone having to rely on Eric Brewer to cover their butt all night.

Alot of Oiler fans feel the "upside" is worth all these mistakes with this long learning curve. "It takes a D-man longer to develop", is most peoples argument. What is this though.....his 7th season? Some nights he looks like an 18 year old in his first NHL game. By the time he figures it all out we won't be able to afford him anyway. But we'll pay the price for him in his extended boot camp here until then. How smart is that?

Eric Brewer is overrated in my opinion. Overrated players in this market are very tradable. I want it to happen before the league finds out he's a fraud.

He's an Olympic Gold medallist you know?

Remember that good season he had when he used to lay at least one good solid body check per game and made the simple/smart play? He doesn't seem to think there is a need for that anymore.

A Brewer/Comrie package is highly stacked and could really change the face of this club.

off with his head....

Old
10-23-2003, 06:38 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Brewer+ somewhere, but not Comrie. I'm convinced Brew has quit on us. He's had no emotion in his game for over a year now.

Old
10-23-2003, 06:39 PM
Oilhitch

Yeah he played a bad game, but i dont want to give up Brewer like you said.

Old
10-23-2003, 06:41 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94
How much longer?

How much longer should we wait?

How much longer until he finally figures it out?

Old
10-23-2003, 06:51 PM
Schai

Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94

Think this way, oilers can save 6.5 million by getting rid of Salo and Brewer. There will be not loss for oilers since these two aren't doing any thing right now.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:15 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz
Think this way, oilers can save 6.5 million by getting rid of Salo and Brewer. There will be not loss for oilers since these two aren't doing any thing right now.
I'm disappointed in Salo, but we don't have a proven starter right yet. If Lowe could get a good starter my ears would perk.

I guess I'm hoping Lowe puts together a smart package (Brewer/Comrie) for skaters and I'm (quietly) hoping Salo turns it around.

I could be singing a different tune by Christmas though......

Old
10-23-2003, 07:22 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
i agree that Brewer needs a wake up call and I think a trip to the PB for 2-3 games would do that. I'm not at all for trading him though - we need him to come around, and if you remember he was incosistent last year too (as most young guys are). I think everybody agrees that Brewer is seriously lacking emotion and concentration right now - does he have a premature baby? Because you's swear it's him not Dvo - who is getting better and better and better with each passing game!

Old
10-23-2003, 07:31 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
i agree that Brewer needs a wake up call and I think a trip to the PB for 2-3 games would do that. I'm not at all for trading him though - we need him to come around, and if you remember he was incosistent last year too (as most young guys are). I think everybody agrees that Brewer is seriously lacking emotion and concentration right now - does he have a premature baby? Because you's swear it's him not Dvo - who is getting better and better and better with each passing game!
Isn't this his 7th season though?

I don't think the PB will fix him. He's missing alot of basics in his game. He plays like an 18 year old rookie whose been thrown in because of injurys on some nights.

I respect your opinion.........but I've never understood all the hype about this guy. Other than he can skate fast and make it look effortless.

By the time Eric Brewer finally figures it out.......the Oilers won't be able to afford him. That doesn't make alot of sense. And we just sit here paying the price in contract and mistakes until that day.

He's way overrated.

I say strike the iron while it's hot.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:41 PM
momentai

Unfortunately, I called this at the beginning of the season during "prediction time". I had a feeling Brewer would struggle out of the gate as our #1 dman... He just hasn't the seasoning in that position of importance that you need. That's part of the reason why I didn't like the Niinimaa trade when it happened... and I still don't like it now irregardless of how Torres and Isbister play.

Of course, I also predicted Semenov would become our #1 by the end of the year... Well, I guess I can't really tell on that prediction until Semenov actually becomes a regular in the lineup. :p

Old
10-23-2003, 07:45 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Actually no, Brewer has only played three full season. He played 20 some with the Isles one year, the next year he played approx. 50, and then the next year he was an Oiler (and it was his first full season). To say that a kid should be ready to step up and lead a teams blueline (which is suspect already) at the age of 24 and with only 3 full seasons in the league is rediculous and un-realistic.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:47 PM
momentai

Quote:
To say that a kid should be ready to step up and lead a teams blueline (which is suspect already) at the age of 24 and with only 3 full seasons in the league is rediculous and un-realistic.
Tell Kevin Lowe that. He decided that it was Brewer's time for that role that you deem unrealistic and ridiculous.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:48 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Joe
We'll give you guys Skoula and a 2nd for Brewer ?
haha.. no thanks.

Ferguson for Morris? :p

Old
10-23-2003, 08:07 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Actually no, Brewer has only played three full season. He played 20 some with the Isles one year, the next year he played approx. 50, and then the next year he was an Oiler (and it was his first full season). To say that a kid should be ready to step up and lead a teams blueline (which is suspect already) at the age of 24 and with only 3 full seasons in the league is rediculous and un-realistic.
I don't think it's realistic to sit there and say he's starting his fourth season though. He's been in the pros and practices and in and out of the line-up for more than 3 seasons.

I think I need to start a poll to see how many years everyone feels we should wait for him to figure it out.

He frustrates me WAY more than Bobo Mironov......

Million dollar talent with a 10 cent brain.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:09 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

yeah i dont see a guy who is improving, more like devolving in my estimation. his defensive play seems to be getting worse every year. damn what a waste of talent.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:14 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Well, as hard as it is to believe, Brewer has only played 3 full seasons. As i said - before that he played 50 some games with the isles, and the year before that it was 20 some games. So to give you the benefit of the doubt we can say he's played four years. Still a lot of HUGE expectations on a player with 4 years exp.

I am with you momentai - Lowe was VERY bold in making that deal that he did, and has put un-fair pressure on Brewer - but who knows, he just might pull through in the end!

Old
10-23-2003, 08:31 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Well, as hard as it is to believe, Brewer has only played 3 full seasons. As i said - before that he played 50 some games with the isles, and the year before that it was 20 some games. So to give you the benefit of the doubt we can say he's played four years. Still a lot of HUGE expectations on a player with 4 years exp.

I am with you momentai - Lowe was VERY bold in making that deal that he did, and has put un-fair pressure on Brewer - but who knows, he just might pull through in the end!
This is all true...

But it doesn't explain to me why the Brewer of 2-3 years ago was MUCH more physical and confident than the Brewer I've seen for the last year.

I swear, some shifts he plays like somebody stuck his head in a paint can shaker and turned it on for 5 minutes before he left the dressing room.

I think the 'unfair pressure on Brewer' point has some validity. Physically, he can do the job. Mentally...?

Old
10-23-2003, 08:43 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
This is all true...

But it doesn't explain to me why the Brewer of 2-3 years ago was MUCH more physical and confident than the Brewer I've seen for the last year.

I swear, some shifts he plays like somebody stuck his head in a paint can shaker and turned it on for 5 minutes before he left the dressing room.

I think the 'unfair pressure on Brewer' point has some validity. Physically, he can do the job. Mentally...?
I have to concede that the "unfair pressure" angle does have some meat to it.

I was very vocal about the Janne trade. Lowe over estimated Brewer. Just like when he assumed BG could take over Griers role on the 3rd line to start last season and dealt Grier for picks. BG was focussed for the first game against Filly. People were calling Lowe a genius. 10 days later......well.....you know.

The Niinimaa trade hurt this D corps alot. Not to mention the leadership in the room on the ice and on the bench. Lowe needs to patch that hole up better. Even if it means shipping Brewer before we can't afford him.

We don't have Comrie on the ice right now and Brewer is hurting us more than he's helping us out there. But what we could get in return for these guys would certainly change the face of this D.

Over to the dark-side Digger.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:44 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
This is all true...

Well perhaps these constant expectations by us fans that he emerge as one of the NHLs top blueliners has been tough on him. I feel that we are getting ahead of ourselves with the "backwards" stuff though. Last year he put up career #'s - although he was in consistent. His numbers have improved every year he's been here - I expect more of the same from him.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:57 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Well perhaps these constant expectations by us fans that he emerge as one of the NHLs top blueliners has been tough on him. I feel that we are getting ahead of ourselves with the "backwards" stuff though. Last year he put up career #'s - although he was in consistent. His numbers have improved every year he's been here - I expect more of the same from him.
his points improved but has plus minus is worse each year
----------2000-2001----2001-02----2002-03---2003-04--
Gp|________77__________81_________80_______7_____
Goals|______7___________7__________8________0_____
Assists|____14__________18_________21________3____ _
Pts|_______21__________25_________29________3_____
+/-|______+15__________-5_________-11_______-2____

Old
10-23-2003, 09:04 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
Over to the dark-side Digger.
Oh man, if this is the part where you tell me you're my REAL father...

BTW, you scored a direct hit re: Lowe overestimating Brewer and Laraque.

Didn't Lowe say that it was the play of Semenov that made possible the trading of Niinimaa? I thought he said something like that during the trade deadline...now here we are, with Semi riding pine and Brewer self destructing before our eyes.

Old
10-23-2003, 09:07 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

I'm nearly-completely convinced that Brew doesn't care anymore. First time I noticed was when he scored the OT winner against Detroit last year and his face had no reaction, didn't even raise his arms. Now I notice something almost every game, from lazy plays to slouching over to the penalty box to not getting mad when he's being abused in the corners. It really worries me. He SHOULD be a top-flight defenceman, but I think he's lost the edge right now...

Old
10-23-2003, 09:21 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
I'm nearly-completely convinced that Brew doesn't care anymore. First time I noticed was when he scored the OT winner against Detroit last year and his face had no reaction, didn't even raise his arms. Now I notice something almost every game, from lazy plays to slouching over to the penalty box to not getting mad when he's being abused in the corners. It really worries me. He SHOULD be a top-flight defenceman, but I think he's lost the edge right now...
maybe we should just drug him up on pep pills and prozac? Jokes aside I do wish he would show more emotion maybe not Laraque smash ur face into the glass every time u score a goal kinda happy but a little closer at least.

Old
10-23-2003, 09:21 PM
Dale

Brewer is playing the same way he's played since junior. He's consistant in his inconsistancy. Saying he's only been in the league for 3 years just isn't right. The other two seasons 50 games and 26(?) were not wasted nor was the time in the AHL. He's been playing pro hockey for a number of years and getting the perks of a #1 pick all the while.

He's always gotten tons of icetime, his mistakes are ignored while others would be benched. He made the Olympic team and the Allstar team when there were others far more worthy.His offensive game has improved marginally and his defensive game has regressed yet they trade away other dmen because he's going to be the #1guy according to Lowe.

Brewer may have more pressure than a Semenov but he's not a youngster anymore. He's never been made responsible for his refusal to learn from his mistakes and maybe this 1st benching is just what he needs.

This is just another example of Lowe's poor judgement.

Old
10-23-2003, 09:33 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
He DOES show emotion, but I only notice it when he makes a big screwup, and subsequently drops an F-bomb loud enough for the entire arena to hear. He did it numerous times last year to my recollection, quite funny actually.

I'm not sure if it's that he doesn't care, or is wound up so tight he poops out diamonds and can't think straight.

Old
10-23-2003, 10:39 PM
Cerebral

I think one of the problems is that Brewer has too big of a load to carry by himself this year.. he's always had a top-minute guy in the lineup like Niinimaa to take some of the pressure off of him. I think Comrie needs to be dealt soon for another defenceman who can fill in on the 3-4 spot.. likewise, we need to get Cross off the first pairing! I'd consider moving J-Smith up with Brewer, having Cross and Staois as the second pairing and then Ferguson + Bergeron as the third.. it seems to me like Cross is dragging Brewer down a la Tom Poti a few years back.

Closed Thread