HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Come off it!

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2003, 07:17 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Come off it!

I can't believe the flack Salo is taking for this game. He let in a soft on Footes goal, but the rest were helpless. Like you people there are so many fickle fans here that every goal is weak now in their eyes. Everybody here is compeltely entitled to their own opinion, but I think people are getting wrapped up in the "Blame Salo" spree. I know he hasn't played very good - but to hear some of you guys blame some of those goals where three Oilers stand and watch the Avs players and leave a Av with a point blank shot on Tommy just isn't right in my eyes.

Also I think Brewer should sit for a couple games. Sure MacT only sits the young kids, well Brewer is young, and Bergeron has earned the playing time - Brewer sures hell hasn't! Another stinker performance from the Oilers with a serious lack of desire and grit. Kudos to the few Oilers who had a decent game:

Moreau
Reasoner
Dvorak
Hemsky (made stuff happen AGAIN)

Torres was supposed to be a spark plug for this team, but he hasn't been. But it isn't his fault either. The team is one of the most undisciplined teams I think I've ever watched. Torres is a HUGE player when the game has a good 5 on 5 flow to it, when there is lots of special teams he might as well be Ray Ferraro (who I don't like at all - he sounds like he belongs on American T.V. *shudder*)

Old
10-23-2003, 07:19 PM
hockeyaddict101

Yeah finally a voice of reason!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I can't believe the flack Salo is taking for this game. He let in a soft on Footes goal, but the rest were helpless. Like you people there are so many fickle fans here that every goal is weak now in their eyes. Everybody here is compeltely entitled to their own opinion, but I think people are getting wrapped up in the "Blame Salo" spree. I know he hasn't played very good - but to hear some of you guys blame some of those goals where three Oilers stand and watch the Avs players and leave a Av with a point blank shot on Tommy just isn't right in my eyes.
He let in one bad goal after coming in cold, he had absolutely no chance on the rest!!

Old
10-23-2003, 07:23 PM
Oilhitch

Dvorak had his best game yet this yea IMO. However Salo should be playing up to his 3.9M worth. Yes i may be harping on this but is play is sub-standard. So, Brewer didnt have a strong game? is this the reason that Salo let in so many goals?

Old
10-23-2003, 07:23 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
He let in one bad goal after coming in cold, he had absolutely no chance on the rest!!
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!

Old
10-23-2003, 07:24 PM
O.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
I totally agree, but everyone else will probably blame the whole game on Salo. This team is horrible defensively, Cross and Brewer look like two Tom Poti's. And I don't get how we throw Semenov straight into two games against Colorado cold. MacT is getting to me, but so is the defence on this team, and how undisciplined they are, they are brutal at taking penalties.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:24 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94
Dvorak had his best game yet this yea IMO. However Salo should be playing up to his 3.9M worth. Yes i may be harping on this but is play is sub-standard. So, Brewer didnt have a strong game? is this the reason that Salo let in so many goals?
Brewer was terrible!

Besides the first goal tell me which goal he actually had a chance to save?

Old
10-23-2003, 07:25 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Actually if you payed any attention to the game you'd know that about three of Brutal Brewer turn overs led to goals - so ya, thats a Big part buddy!

Old
10-23-2003, 07:30 PM
O.T.

Quote:

Yes, Brewer was feeding the other team very nice setups all game long. Brewer is one of my favorite Oilers but he needs to sit and watch a few games from the pressbox to get him going.

And as for Salo, it's not how many shots a goalie has on him, it's quality shots that count, and right now it seems as if we are giving the other team a quality shot every time they touch the puck. And if we don't we let them take 3-4 rebound shots.

As for him earning his 3.9M contract, its not his fault KLowe paid him that much, was he supposed to say no I don't think I can play good enough to earn that money.

And thats not a shot at KLowe because I really like him as a GM.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:31 PM
Oilhitch

When you think back to Tommy Salo a couple of years ago I remember a goalie that bailed his team out of poor defensive play. This isnt happening today.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:34 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
When you think back to Tommy Salo a couple of years ago I remember a goalie that bailed his team out of poor defensive play. This isnt happening today.
A couple years ago, yes he did - but the team that played in front of him was probably the best defensive team in the NHL (Avs were only better team in GA but with Roy, there is a BIG difference). What we are seeing is one of the worst defensive teams I've ever seen. The defensive laps are commen - and the effort to try and make up for them is lacking too!!!!!!!!! MacT could lose his job if the team defense doesn't improve - he isn't the type of coach you want coaching a run and gun team - and it appears that this is what the team is wanting to be.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:36 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Besides the first goal how many did he have a chance on. People need to look at a stat that the NHL doesn't keep but fans should understand. Quality of shots!

No goalie can stop four or five rebound shots or stop point blank opportunities where players are left alone!

Salo was left to dry and that should be the biggest concern but instead of blaming the team it is much easier to blame Salo. That way some fans don't have to talk about how bad we have been defensively!

Old
oilbaron

Quote:
I *wish* we were getting poor defensive play... that'd be an improvement.

right now it's somewhere between god-awful and horrendous.

Old
O.T.

Quote:
He can't bail us out 10 times a game, maybe 2-3. But the Oilers are playing horrible, Salo's just an easy scapegoat, and lots of people look for the easy way out, so it has to be Salo's fault. If Conklin stayed in we might have only lost 4-1 or we may have lost 9-1, but there's no way that Conklin (with all those quality chances) does'nt get scored on at least 4 times tonight.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:47 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

now certainly salo is not to blame for all of the goals however
1. what happened to the goaltender who used to make that save when we needed one. after killing off four minutes of that five minute powerplay, salo let in a weak goal. from what i saw after that the wheels came off. is this his fault, no but indirectly i saw a team self destruct after that goal of course having some leadership would help.
2. his rebound control is in one word terrible, too often he is giving up rebounds in front of his net, ie the mike danton goal what was he doing directing that puck out in front of his net.
3. salo to me at times has a lackaduisical attitude and of course most likely i am wrong but i see a guy that lacks passion and desire.

after all of that i have stated many times this team is going to struggle this year. brewer is horrible, isbister is a trade that will blow up in lowes face, lack of leadership, no discipline, poor goaltending, awful powerplay, and some of the other players are struggling, chimera horcoff york cross etc

the good even though they have given up a lot of powerplay goals, i like their penalty killing reasoner and moreau are giving the other team fits, smyth is well playing like smyth, hemsky has the talent just needs to be surrounded with better players, bergeron is impressive, conklin looks good so far, and i feel bad for dvorak he is trying real hard just nothing going in for him.

all i can say is this they better show up against calgary on saturday or we better start thinking about the draft lottery.

little sidenote i dont give a crap if the oilers lets say win the next two games until they show some consistent efforts this team will not make the playoffs. i am always on the bandwagon however i do not like the chemistry on the team this year at all especially a lack of desire, emotion and most importantly leadership. have a good night.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:50 PM
windowlicker

the 2-0 goal by forsberg... how many whacks at the puck did he get before the puck went in? 4? 5? you simply cannot allow that in the NHL.

this teams needs to ........................
i actually dont know what, there are so many things.... better coaching, better coaching strategy, better game plan, better defensive play, better players, better performances from current players, more discipline... can someone help??

Old
10-23-2003, 07:50 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
now certainly salo is not to blame for all of the goals however
1. what happened to the goaltender who used to make that save when we needed one. after killing off four minutes of that five minute powerplay, salo let in a weak goal. from what i saw after that the wheels came off. is this his fault, no but indirectly i saw a team self destruct after that goal of course having some leadership would help.
2. his rebound control is in one word terrible, too often he is giving up rebounds in front of his net, ie the mike danton goal what was he doing directing that puck out in front of his net.
3. salo to me at times has a lackaduisical attitude and of course most likely i am wrong but i see a guy that lacks passion and desire.

after all of that i have stated many times this team is going to struggle this year. brewer is horrible, isbister is a trade that will blow up in lowes face, lack of leadership, no discipline, poor goaltending, awful powerplay, and some of the other players are struggling, chimera horcoff york cross etc

the good even though they have given up a lot of powerplay goals, i like their penalty killing reasoner and moreau are giving the other team fits, smyth is well playing like smyth, hemsky has the talent just needs to be surrounded with better players, bergeron is impressive, conklin looks good so far, and i feel bad for dvorak he is trying real hard just nothing going in for him.

all i can say is this they better show up against calgary on saturday or we better start thinking about the draft lottery.

little sidenote i dont give a crap if the oilers lets say win the next two games until they show some consistent efforts this team will not make the playoffs. i am always on the bandwagon however i do not like the chemistry on the team this year at all especially a lack of desire, emotion and most importantly leadership. have a good night.
Salo saved the puck three times before Forsburg who was magically left open put the puck in the net? How many pucks do you people reasonably expect him to save on one play?

This happened on two of the goals.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:57 PM
gretzky2kurri

We have a worthy starting goalie that has struggled the past year.

We have an unproven D aside from Smith and Staios in reality. Ferguson is lucky he's the property of Edmonton and hasn't played his way off the roster, he's seizing the opportunity on this inconsistant blue line. I'm hopeful for Semenov and Bergeron but only one of them has ever had a good NHL season.

I have more faith in Salo turning his game around than this defensive corps being reliable for even half of the 82 games in a season.

A Comrie/Brewer package to shore up our D would really change things. Especially for Salo. But it has to be the right player(s). It's pretty hard to find a good/better starter right now. Shoring the D would be easier.

We already feel this team can generate offense. Well maybe not all of us, but I have alot more worries about how many pucks are going to end up in the Oilers net this season, than how many they will put in the other teams. The offense will improve.

Come over to the dark side everyone.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:58 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
on message boards, I don't often get mad. I can be a smart ass and stuff like that, but mad... no. I'm mad. WTF should Salo have done with the puck on the Danton goal????? HMMM???? When you hug the post standing up the most important thing is to 1. Keep it in front of you and 2. keep it as close to you as posible. He did BOTH, extremely well! The puck was less then a foot away from him, and it was right in front of him. Should he have kick it into the corner??? give you head a shake - as soon as you start doing that there is NO knowing where the puck will end up!!! People need to wake up. Salo's rebound control has been so-so some times - but the Danton goal was NOT an example of that!!!!!!

Old
10-23-2003, 08:01 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

ok how do i put this in words for you to possibly understand, i am not referring to goals tonight or even against st. louis. please wakeup salo has struggled since last year, i am not blaming him for all of the teams defensive play however he is no longer a consistent goaltender.
YOU WILL NOT WIN IN THIS LEAGUE WITH AN AVERAGE GOALTENDER. LETS SEE HIS SAVE PERCENTAGE .874 TELL ME IS THIS GOOD. DEFEND HIM ALL YOU WANT HOWEVER THE OILERS WOULD MAKE A BIG MISTAKE PICKING UP HIS OPTION FOR NEXT YEAR. END OF STORY.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:04 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

chill out thome i feel i am right and honestly take a break buddy and find a pillow to punch. last time i checked i have a right to state my opinion, you may not like that but try growing up and coming up with a better rebuttal.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:10 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
chill out thome i feel i am right and honestly take a break buddy and find a pillow to punch. last time i checked i have a right to state my opinion, you may not like that but try growing up and coming up with a better rebuttal.
I don't need to take a pill OR punch a pillow. I fully reckognize your right to your opinion. But it is a flaw one. My entire post was not related to Tommy's play through the last couple seasons - but that single goal that is idioticly being placed on his shoulders! And just because i show a bit of anger for the first time on this board doesn't make me immature or create a need for my "growing up". I am passionate about the Oilers and even about this hockey board/site, and it bugs me to see something so stupid brought up again and again.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:12 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
ok how do i put this in words for you to possibly understand, i am not referring to goals tonight or even against st. louis. please wakeup salo has struggled since last year, i am not blaming him for all of the teams defensive play however he is no longer a consistent goaltender.
YOU WILL NOT WIN IN THIS LEAGUE WITH AN AVERAGE GOALTENDER. LETS SEE HIS SAVE PERCENTAGE .874 TELL ME IS THIS GOOD. DEFEND HIM ALL YOU WANT HOWEVER THE OILERS WOULD MAKE A BIG MISTAKE PICKING UP HIS OPTION FOR NEXT YEAR. END OF STORY.
Its not the quantity of the shots, but the quality. I'll take 10 shots from the sticks of Shean Donovan or Artem Chubarov over 2 shots from Peter Forsberg or Milan Hejduk. Oilers recent D turnovers have been creating some prime scoring chances. The top guys in the league will bury those 8 times out of ten.
Thats why theres a difference in having colorado direct 23 shots at Salo, versus 36 by.. lets say Florida.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:12 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

no problem dont read my posts or go find another site. two of you guys missed my point and i am sorry i could not make it more simple for you. have a good night.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:15 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

ok windowlicker no problem why was his percentage .899 so bad last year. let me guess bad defense in front of him. its a moot point if he finishes with a bad one again this year how can the oil justify paying him his option for next year. he does not make the saves when we need them.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:18 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

last point i hope salo can pull out of his struggles because if he can become consistent this year maybe he can win us some games this year to get into the playoffs. we need him 100% or this team doesn't make the playoffs, the team in front of him is too young and is going to make a lot of mistakes.

Closed Thread