HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

How the mighty have fallen...

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2003, 04:45 PM
oilbaron

vCash: 500
How the mighty have fallen...

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (CP) -- Curtis Joseph will determine how long his conditioning stint with the Detroit Red Wings' AHL affiliate lasts.

The veteran NHL goalie practised with the Griffins on Wednesday and Thursday and was to start Friday night against the Utah Grizzlies.

"It's certainly my call," Joseph told the Detroit Free Press when asked how long he'd stick around. "That's how it was described to me, 'Whatever you want to do."'

It'll be his first action after recovering from summer ankle surgery.

"I'm looking forward to getting in a game and testing it out," he said.

He will wear 30 on his sweater instead of his usual 31 because Joey MacDonald wears 31.

Wings goaltending coach Jim Bedard says Joseph has worked hard.

"He'd done everything I've asked him to do," Bedard said. "You come here, you grab an oar, get in the boat and you row like anybody else.

"Obviously, he's got no attitude toward anything but that."

-------

Ouch... just keeps getting worse for Cujo, doesn't it?

Old
10-24-2003, 05:04 PM
USC Trojans
AD

he must be the most expensive minor league player in history.

Old
10-24-2003, 05:09 PM
GorillazXL

Wouldn't that be sweet if the Oil...or heaven forbid...the Avs get Cujo and wins the Stanley Cup or at the very least knock off the Wings. I thought it was truly classless of the wings to leave Cujo hanging like that, then again he did price himself out of everyones payroll.

GXL

Old
10-24-2003, 05:26 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillazXL
Wouldn't that be sweet if the Oil...or heaven forbid...the Avs get Cujo and wins the Stanley Cup or at the very least knock off the Wings. I thought it was truly classless of the wings to leave Cujo hanging like that, then again he did price himself out of everyones payroll.

GXL
Doesn't this remind anyone else of Essensa?

When he was in Winnipeg didn't he have a great playoff series against the Oilers, signed a good size contract, was acquired by Detroit (not sure the order of the last two points), became the goat of the fans, then became Vernon's backup and eventually sent down to the minors for the duration of his contract because he was too expensive for other teams. Or am I remembering this wrong?

Maybe Cujo will come back as the Oiler's backup when his contract expires?

Old
10-24-2003, 05:35 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
Doesn't this remind anyone else of Essensa?

When he was in Winnipeg didn't he have a great playoff series against the Oilers, signed a good size contract, was acquired by Detroit (not sure the order of the last two points), became the goat of the fans, then became Vernon's backup and eventually sent down to the minors for the duration of his contract because he was too expensive for other teams. Or am I remembering this wrong?

Maybe Cujo will come back as the Oiler's backup when his contract expires?
That was Tim Cheveldade wasn't it?

Old
10-24-2003, 06:07 PM
ToothlessAggression

What about Irbe playing in the ECHL?
He has been my favorite goalie for 10 years. The 'canes really screwed him over.

Cujo will probably only be in the AHL for a game or two.

Old
10-24-2003, 06:25 PM
fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone

Actually,Cheveldae was who the Jets got in the Essensa trade with the Wings. The Essensa situation wasn't the same simply because Essensa was brutal in Detroit and did deserve a good chunk of the blame that year. Cujo wasn't brutal he just got beat by a hot goalie. The situation is similar in that no one wants to take on the extra money from Cujo's salary. I really don't think Cujo has priced himself out of anything. Simply,no one is in a hurry to help the Wings out because they've always been one of the teams that has thrown money at players with disregard to the rest of the league. If anyone can name me 10 goalies in the league you'd rather have than Cujo,if you were trying to win right now,you're full of crap or know nothing about goaltending. I've said it before and i'll say it again.....he'd look really good in an Oil jersey right about now!!!!!

Old
10-24-2003, 06:29 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I could be wrong, but you could be right, dawgbone.
I was thinking (with my short and fuzzy memory) that it was Chevelday or something like that.

Old
10-25-2003, 05:46 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
I could be wrong, but you could be right, dawgbone.
I was thinking (with my short and fuzzy memory) that it was Chevelday or something like that.
Cheveldae.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php3?pid=954

Old
10-25-2003, 07:12 AM
Meanashell11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
Curtis joseph can burn in hell for all I care. He screwed the Oil over so bad and it cost us 2 seasons when we had weight. Basically by telling us he would deal fairly with us, hinting maybe even play for the Oil a little cheaper, sather kept him instead of trading him when he was about to become a free agent and CJ bolted for the leafs. I actually ran into him on a golf course the day he signed with the leafs. Because of that it took us 2 years before we got tommy and in the meantime the team we had, which could have really made some noise (Guerin, weight, joseph, etc) spent the better part of the time we had weight looking for a goalie and by the time we got tommy we had lost all the other parts. If it had not been for the chance the Oil gave him, CJ would have spent his time being the whipping boy for st louis. I hope he gets hit by a bus and he never deserves to have his name on a trophy that is won in team play because he only cares about himself.

Old
10-25-2003, 07:32 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhr
Actually,Cheveldae was who the Jets got in the Essensa trade with the Wings. The Essensa situation wasn't the same simply because Essensa was brutal in Detroit and did deserve a good chunk of the blame that year. Cujo wasn't brutal he just got beat by a hot goalie. The situation is similar in that no one wants to take on the extra money from Cujo's salary. I really don't think Cujo has priced himself out of anything. Simply,no one is in a hurry to help the Wings out because they've always been one of the teams that has thrown money at players with disregard to the rest of the league. If anyone can name me 10 goalies in the league you'd rather have than Cujo,if you were trying to win right now,you're full of crap or know nothing about goaltending. I've said it before and i'll say it again.....he'd look really good in an Oil jersey right about now!!!!!
I think Cujo is the type of goalies who needs alot of action to stay in a game. I don't know if that's good or bad but when he played for Edm or TO, he faced alot of rubber and he was good (last oiler goalie to win a playoff series).

In Detroit, he didn;t face many shots. I do agree that I don't think anyone was going to beat Giguere the way he was playing.

Old
10-25-2003, 07:46 AM
Fists of Fuhry

Holy Crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11
Curtis joseph can burn in hell for all I care. He screwed the Oil over so bad and it cost us 2 seasons when we had weight. Basically by telling us he would deal fairly with us, hinting maybe even play for the Oil a little cheaper, sather kept him instead of trading him when he was about to become a free agent and CJ bolted for the leafs. I actually ran into him on a golf course the day he signed with the leafs. Because of that it took us 2 years before we got tommy and in the meantime the team we had, which could have really made some noise (Guerin, weight, joseph, etc) spent the better part of the time we had weight looking for a goalie and by the time we got tommy we had lost all the other parts. If it had not been for the chance the Oil gave him, CJ would have spent his time being the whipping boy for st louis. I hope he gets hit by a bus and he never deserves to have his name on a trophy that is won in team play because he only cares about himself.

Talk about getting your hate on... I wasn't happy about CuJo ditching us either (esp. when I had his number 31 on everything including my soccer goalie jersey), but wishing that he gets hit by a bus is just uncalled for and quite classless in my opinion.

Old
10-25-2003, 01:02 PM
Meanashell11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fists of Fuhry
Talk about getting your hate on... I wasn't happy about CuJo ditching us either (esp. when I had his number 31 on everything including my soccer goalie jersey), but wishing that he gets hit by a bus is just uncalled for and quite classless in my opinion.
If you want to see a definition of classless just look up curtis joseph. and if you dont like the "hit by a bus" quote then just insert your own "he can kiss my #$$" quote, I really dont care. Dont start throwing classless gaunlets down around here buddy. I have the right to my own opinion.

Old
10-25-2003, 01:31 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
Thanx, kraigus.

Old
10-25-2003, 03:35 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus