HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stevenson waived

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2006, 03:34 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Stevenson waived

Didn't see this coming. Trig will be happy

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....602040354/1028

Old
02-04-2006, 07:47 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Does this mean Legwand is almost ready?

Old
02-04-2006, 08:45 AM
handtrick

I find the timeing of this quite odd....the article says that Fiddler is in Edmonton for "personal reasons" and expected back Monday......so why put Stevenson on waivers last night?....... especially after Trotz just said that he would most likely start Stevenson over Fiddler tonight because the Chicago game is likely to be more chippy.
The article is curiously absent of the Trotz statements that he used with Robitaille and Gamache....."I hope he clears for selfish reasons, but kinda hope someone picks him up so he can continue his career", etc.
Stevenson said some quotes yesterday about possibly being the odd man out:

Stevenson, who's collected seven points and 74 penalty minutes this season, finds himself wondering about his future with the Predators.
"I think I've played really good this year and I know I could be an asset to this team or any other,'' Stevenson said. "I'm pretty sure another team would like a guy who can play, score and fight. I haven't talked to anyone about it — I'm just coming to the rink and doing my job.''

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...602020429/1028

Some of his quotes today:

"I have no idea, whatever happens happens," Stevenson said last night. "They want to go in a different direction and obviously I wasn't part of the plan. Hopefully someone picks me up."

Obviously Toots is coming back up for the long haul here....and it will be very nice to see the "bang line" reunited......I just wonder what made them pull the trigger now......

Old
02-04-2006, 09:33 AM
Pred303

this is a confusing move, the timing and all...could mean one of several things...

1)legwand is almost ready to be activated, forcing a roster move
2)that waiving stevenson is an attempt to hold on to fiddler for a while longer, while they try to work some sort of deal with some other team so they don't lose him for nothing... if this is the case we won't see tootoo recalled right now, but instead will see the roster remain at 22 active and legwand on a rehab assignment being the 23rd roster player
3)that tootoo is going to be recalled and this move has nothing to do with legwand being almost ready to return.. and that another move will have to happen when legwand is activated (ie fiddler dealt or sent down thru waivers)
4)that another deal is imminent involving several players and this waiving of stevenson is to free up roster room for players coming our way

Last edited by Pred303: 02-04-2006 at 09:38 AM.
Old
02-04-2006, 09:44 AM
PredsMan

the "man-crush" is over

Old
02-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Uppie101

Unlucky for Stevenson & awesome for Tootoo. Best of luck to both of them.

Old
02-04-2006, 09:58 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303
this is a confusing move, the timing and all...could mean one of several things...

1)legwand is almost ready to be activated, forcing a roster move
2)that waiving stevenson is an attempt to hold on to fiddler for a while longer, while they try to work some sort of deal with some other team so they don't lose him for nothing... if this is the case we won't see tootoo recalled right now, but instead will see the roster remain at 22 active and legwand on a rehab assignment being the 23rd roster player
3)that tootoo is going to be recalled and this move has nothing to do with legwand being almost ready to return.. and that another move will have to happen when legwand is activated (ie fiddler dealt or sent down thru waivers)
4)that another deal is imminent involving several players and this waiving of stevenson is to free up roster room for players coming our way
Those are all legitimate possiblities 303.

The thing that I worry about with this move is that if Tootoo is NOT recalled, it would seem that Trotz/Poile are inviting the Avery's and Barnaby's of this world to have their way with running our players....Hordi could be injured or receive a game misconduct and it is going to leave us very vulnerable to cheap shot artists.....and say Hordi does get injured, who would we call up?....Yablonski?....please....at least Stevenson was a fairly respected middleweight and would throw down whenever needed that could actually skate.
I just don't think Allison is enough insurance, as... I hate playing 7 dmen and he is too much of a liability to play in the 6th spot and only log 6-8 minutes.

Our lack of physicality has been glaring at time.....I just don't see any scenario that Tootoo is not up here in Stevie's absence.

Old
02-04-2006, 10:02 AM
braindead

Without knowing the rehab assignment rules applicable during the Olympic break, my guess is that Legwand will be slowed down and do a full rehab stint during the break. It gives him more time to heal and more time to get his game back (10 game max, right?).

Given that, this seems like a move to hang onto Fiddler a bit longer and recognition that Tootoo is better on the 4th line. When everyone is healthy I think Fiddler is gone.

Old
02-04-2006, 10:46 AM
handtrick

No Tootoo call up posted yet on the AHL transaction site.....hmmmmmmm

http://ahl.leaguestat.com/hm/transactions.php

Old
02-04-2006, 11:43 AM
jstreet

vCash: 1613
I feel bad for Stevenson but I am excited at the possibility of seeing that Hordichuk-Smithson-Toots line back in action.

Old
02-04-2006, 11:56 AM
beautypersoni

I've always boosted Jeremy Stevenson, but I truly saw this move coming. I hope he gets picked up and given a permanent position by another team. I do hope Jordin Tootoo is called up. I love that Darcy Hordichuk / Jerred Smithson / Tootoo line! I kind of wish we would have waived Vernon Fiddler and kept Stevenson as the extra forward; but I do realize Fiddler is a better utility player. Although Stevenson's toughness will be missed. Anyhoo...

Old
02-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Well its a good thing to see jeremy finally depart this team. I hate it for him, but he has done nothing for us for awhile now.

02-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Stars-Preds

Stevenson was probably an underrated player and did some things well. That said when Smithson was called up that probably finsihed Stevenson's career with the Preds. Smithson is younger, cheaper, and can be used in more situations than Stevenson. Plus with the team acquiring Hordichuk in the off-season and having Tootoo in the AHL there really wasn't a spot for Jeremy.

Hopefully he gets picked up (think he'll go to St. Louis like all our other former players). If not, he might still be an option later on by going to Milwaukee.

Old
02-04-2006, 01:05 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
From an anonymous source, Tootoo will be in Nashville tonight. Not speculation, this source talked to Tootoo directly.

Old
02-04-2006, 01:37 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher
From an anonymous source, Tootoo will be in Nashville tonight. Not speculation, this source talked to Tootoo directly.
You're lucky the Preds blog already confirmed that...or else I'd be deleting your post, mr "anonymous source'"

Stevenson cleared waivers, per the Preds blog.

Also, Legwand is participating in practice, will likely be activated AFTER the olympic break, spending some time in Milwaukee to "get his game back."

Old
02-05-2006, 05:10 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Why is it that when I explained to people that Tootoo was playing because they sent Stevenson to Milwaukee nooone cheered lastnight? I know I thanked the hockey gods when I found out. Are there really people out there that still think Stevenson is better than Tootoo?

Old
02-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang
Why is it that when I explained to people that Tootoo was playing because they sent Stevenson to Milwaukee nooone cheered lastnight? I know I thanked the hockey gods when I found out. Are there really people out there that still think Stevenson is better than Tootoo?
The people around me where I sit know that the Hordi-Smithson-Tootoo line is one of the best 4th lines in the NHL

Old
02-06-2006, 12:11 AM
Stars-Preds

That's true. Hordi-Smithson-Tootoo is really an ideal fourth line. A good mix of speed, energy, and ocassional offense to drive the opposing team crazy. Tootoo and Hordi will flat out demolish anyone within their reach and Smithson is a pest on the ice as well.

Old
02-06-2006, 10:56 AM
dulzhok

This was the right call, but this certainly sucks for Jeremy Stevenson.

With the new dumb wavier rules (that we'd be on the hook for 1/2 his salary if claimed), he's likely never going to be called up, even if we need him.

Old
02-15-2006, 12:50 PM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
Dallas now claimed Stevenson....was he on re-entry waiver ?

Old
02-15-2006, 01:35 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walzy
Dallas now claimed Stevenson....was he on re-entry waiver ?

this doesn't make any sense...he has been playing down in milwaukee for over a week.....and they didn't call him back up on re-entry waivers.
Once they clear waivers....aren't they clear?

Here is the link, dated today from tsn.ca:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=155004&hubname=nhl

Old
02-15-2006, 02:15 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
weird. oh well, enjoy him dallas.

Old
02-15-2006, 02:42 PM
KRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
....the article says that Fiddler is in Edmonton for "personal reasons" and expected back Monday....
vern was in kelowna last night at the rockets game with barry trotz.

Old
02-15-2006, 04:26 PM
Pred303

to add speculation to a trade possibility of all this....libor pivko was just recalled to Nashville this afternoon... for what reason i cann't imagine

Old
02-15-2006, 04:41 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303
to add speculation to a trade possibility of all this....libor pivko was just recalled to Nashville this afternoon... for what reason i cann't imagine
Muwahahahahahahahahahaha!

I told you all this day would come. Seriously though, he's been putting up good numbers at the AHL level (second in the AHL in assists and has 50 points in 44 games). They might be wanting him to get a game or two to showcase at the NHL level. He needs to get stronger on the puck (we've been saying this for years), but he does what he does quite well.

Closed Thread